From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2228
Date: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 4:43 AM

1. Re: Dave Bauerle's Fuel Tank Protector
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

2. Re: Dave Bauerle's Fuel Tank Protector
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

3. Re: Vapor Lock --> A deflector shield
From: "Adam 16683" <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. Re: Re: Dave Bauerle's Fuel Tank Protector
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

5. Re: Re: Vapor Lock
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

6. Re: Fuel Temperature.
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

7. Can you clean paint off of the rub strips??
From: Aaron Crocco <acrocco_at_dml_gmail.com>

8. Re: Another Non-Starting D
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 13:06:25 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: Dave Bauerle's Fuel Tank Protector

Does Dave still make/sell these?

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 20:30:27 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

I have seen this deflector on several Deloreans and I know
the material used for the air deflector is NOT foam rubber.

The material is similar to material used on truck mud flaps,
which is a hard, yet flexible sheet of rubberized material.

The air deflector also acts as a water/debris deflector and
may help prevent accellerated rusting of the crumple tube by
deflecting road salt and slush from getting into some areas
of the crumple tube section if the car is driven in Winter
in the Rust Belt.  I saw first hand results of this on a car
that was driven all year round in central Illinois.

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 22:15:45 -0000
From: "Adam 16683" <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Vapor Lock --> A deflector shield

My car has this air deflector. It is some sort of flexible rubber mat
thing. It is bolted to the frame. I dont think there are any
aerodynamic issues.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, mike.griese_at_dml_w... wrote:
> A defelctor under the car could have aerodynamic consequences.
Deflecting air

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 18:43:07 -0400
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Dave Bauerle's Fuel Tank Protector

Sorry...should have said this straight away...the material Dave
installed on MY car is foam rubber...not the rubberized plastic Rich is
talking about which sounds like it would provide superior protection
from road debris.

As far as I know, Dave still makes and sells these.  You can contact him
at his shop.  Telephone is 740-815-3669.

Good luck,
Josh

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 18:25:06 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Vapor Lock

In a message dated 9/14/04 11:38:43 AM Central Daylight Time, dmc1219_at_dml_one.net
writes:

> I have one that I obtained from David Bauerly and installed many years ago.
> I had the problem before I installed it & haven't had a problem since.
> Sounds like a commercial!!

How does the cooler connect to the other lines, and where is it located?  the
only logical place would be in the fuel return line (anything between pump
and engine would be wasted with the engine reheating it).

does it use metal screw-type connectors like the metal fuel lines or does it
use good hoseclamp style connectors? where does the cooler sit and where is it
mounted?  I have the same problem with noisy pumps when i am on long trips.

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 23:30:48 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel Temperature.

For years I lived with the same thing on three different Ds until a
few years ago when I pulled the fuel tank cover while replacing all
the cooling system hoses. I discovered that the coolant lines were
touching the fuel tank. The OEM rubber insulator had deformed and
deteriorated, etc. I used some coolant hose, split it and slid it
over the metal tubing as a new insulator in key places not the
entire thing. There is still some "buzz" when the tank is low and it
is hot outside, ac on, etc. but not the "wake up the neighborhood"
noise that it use to be. As a matter of fact until these notes I had
forgotten about it.

After I first did the fix a few months passed and one day I noticed
it again. I decided to take another look at the first fix and
discovered that I had not done a good job of securing my new
insulator and it had turned to allow the tube to once again touch
the fuel tank. A quick adjustment and a plastic tie have rendered
the system quiet for now.

Harold McElraft - 3354

PS - I also have Bauerle's deflector. They are great and also keep
the crud out of the steering rack opening behind the fans.

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 19:01:37 -0400
From: Aaron Crocco <acrocco_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Can you clean paint off of the rub strips??

Less than a week of ownership and I've already messed something up.
While pulling into my garage, I grazed the side of the entrance with
the rub strips on the side of the car.  There is now a small splotch
of brown paint on my passanger-side rub strip.  I would like to know
if there is a way to remove this paint without replacing the strip.
If someone can please help me on this, it would be greatly
appreciated.  Thank you

-Aaron Crocco
VIN 5591
NY Plate: OUTATYM

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 18:18:19 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Another Non-Starting D

In a message dated 9/14/04 11:27:02 AM Central Daylight Time,
motarhedd_at_dml_aol.com writes:

> Another thing i noticed was the IDLE SPEED REGULATOR was buzzing. is this
> normal? it seems kind of loose, as far as the pipe that goes intothe intake
> wasnt secured, and i was able to pull it out of the intake easily. whats up
> with this?

This would be a source of a massive vacuum leak.  you need to check your
parts manual and find out what parts you are missing, if any, and get this fixed
before you try anything else.  make sure the O-ring is still on the pipe that
goes into the lower chamber of the air metering housing.

this may not be the whole story, but it MUST be fixed first.

let us know what happens next.