From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2229
Date: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 4:45 PM

1. Re: Another Non-Starting D v1.2
From: motarhedd_at_dml_aol.com

2. Baurle Heat Deflector
From: Joseph Hirko <jhirkojr_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Re: Vapor Lock --> A deflector shield
From: Paul Gress <pgress_at_dml_optonline.net>

4. Fuel Temperature--Bauerle's Deflector
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: Can you clean paint off of the rub strips??
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

6. Re: Fuel Pump Care
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: Can you clean paint off of the rub strips??
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Advertising.
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. courtesy switches
From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Idle Speed Regulator Problem
From: motarhedd_at_dml_aol.com

11. Bosch Platinum +4 Plugs
From: "Jace & Jenn" <judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net>

12. DMC (Texas) Workshop (and other) manuals
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

13. powder coating the frame?
From: nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com

14. Time Machine Conversion
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. Re: Idle Speed Regulator Problem
From: "Mike" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

16. Euro Auto Festival
From: "bkp944" <bk_pollard_at_dml_hotmail.com>

17. Re: Time Machine Conversion
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: Homelink (mirrors or other)
From: "Jim Reeve" <jim.reeve_at_dml_wayzata.k12.mn.us>

19. Re: Fuel Pump Care
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Transmission substitution?
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: powder coating the frame?
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Re: courtesy switches
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

23. RE: Bosch Platinum +4 Plugs
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

24. Re: powder coating the frame?
From: Jeff Angwin <jeff_at_dml_angwin.us>

25. VIN #2449 History or Info
From: "Wizard" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 21:26:16 -0400
From: motarhedd_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Another Non-Starting D v1.2

Ok, its seems that after changing the fuel filter, and trying to crank the car again, we got no fuel. jumpered the relay and nothing also. no sounds of a fuel pump running either. simple enough, check the pump... the connectors on the pump are severly corroded, and wiggling the wires made the pump run. it appears that a new pump is needed, as the connectors are too far gone. however, when it was wiggled and made enough contact to crank the engine up, but it only ran for a second and a half, then died.

after all the insane rain here in FL(its been raining everyday for the past 3wks it seems)the moisture has managed to screw the connections up enough to make it not run? or get some water in the fuel, or sitting in the inclined drive way for 2-3wks has allowed sediment to settle in the tank to clog the fuel pick-up in the tank?

so the plan is to pull the tank, when i get the new pump, clean it and install everything back. hopefully this will fix that.

Thanks,
Russell
Vin#1790

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 18:40:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: Joseph Hirko <jhirkojr_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Baurle Heat Deflector

     About 15 or 16 years ago (maybe more!), I, too,
had summertime fuel tank heat problems including
rattling fuel pump.  I bought Baurle's heat deflector
(as I recall, it cost $40 or so), installed it myself,
and have never had a problem in that regard since.
Never noticed any changes in handling due to
"aerodynamic changes", as one person alluded to.

"WAWAZAT"

http://vote.yahoo.com

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 22:30:16 -0500
From: Paul Gress <pgress_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Vapor Lock --> A deflector shield

Nick Kemp wrote:

>Related thought ...
>
>Years ago, someone made a deflector that directed the warm radiator air down
>and away from the tank.  It may be worth considering.  The downside of that
>kit is that it used sheet metal screws to anchor to the frame and I am
>FIRMLY opposed to breaking the frame seal.
>
>The deflector was a heavy ?1/2 inch? rubber mat.  There are probably better
>materials and anchoring alternatives.

I have this deflector shield your talking about.  It's main purpose was
to keep the fuel temp lower to prevent fuel cavitation.  Fuel cavitation
is, where under vacuum (suction) the fuel would bubble, and the fuel
pump would growl.  The deflector shield solved this problem.  Mine is
held on with clips, no screws or bolts.  Simple install.  It appears to
be approx. 3/16" reinforced neoprene rubber.  The only down side IMHO,
is it slightly restricted air flow by causing higher back pressure
(without the fans running), where the rushing air going through would
slam up on the deflector shield and bounce back to create higher back
pressure.  No problem with the new 3 core radiators now available.

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 05:54:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Fuel Temperature--Bauerle's Deflector

>>Telephone is 740-815-3669.
>>Good luck,
>>Josh

Josh, Bob B. & others wanting to contact Dave Bauerle,
That number may be an old one. The ones on his business cards (and one I used
just yesterday) are: 740-595-3348 and 740-362-0818. FYI shop hours are M-F
7:30-5:30 (EST).

I have the protype version on my car & it is some kind of
thick-textured-white-rubber-thing ;-)

Another reason, besides temperature, not mentioned for it's creation was to keep
the "gas smell" out of the interior.

>>From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
>>A defelctor under the car could have aerodynamic consequences. Deflecting air
>>downward will cause lift on an already light front end. The shape of the
>>deflector will determine the degree of change in lift.
>>--
>>Mike

Mike,
On my car I do not feel any aerodynamic consequences relating to the deflector.
There may be a little bit but so minimal I cannot feel it. Maybe it would be
better to say that this deflector uses the "chimney effect" to suck the hot air
down, under and away from the car as air passes below it rather than air being
pushed down to lift the car. I could be full of it, I don't know. I just think
it's very minimal.

Be for I  had my car lowered "to the intended riding level of the creators"
(non-concours), I had more of a problem with lift under the high nose than I do
now. With the car lowered it sticks to corners better and I don't get a floaty
fealing on the highway above 65mph.

Shannon Y

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 02:24:43 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Can you clean paint off of the rub strips??

A little Laquer Thinner on a rag will work. Take precautions, work
outside and use gloves.

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 06:12:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel Pump Care

My theory is that the fuller the tank the slower its contents heat up. It takes longer to boil 5 gallons of water than 1 gallon of water assuming the container and heat remain constant. As you said adding gasoline also cools the tank. Gasoline is usually stored underground and may be 55, 60 or 65 degrees when it enters the car tank. One of my cars has a 27 gallon gasoline tank and is 26 years old with 92,000 miles on it. It has been in our family 24 years and has never had a new fuel pump, to my knowledge. Having said that, the fuel pump will probably go out the next time I drive it.

Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com> wrote:
Why would having more gasoline in the tank make it cooler? *Adding* gas
would certainly cool things down, but that would be a transient effect.
Keeping the tank full will increase the thermal mass and reduce the
*variability* of the temperature, but it seems to me that--depending on
the change of outside temperature--it would be as likely to raise the
fuel temperature as to lower it. No?
--Pete Lucas
VIN #06703

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 08:19:03 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

At least the rub strip did its job. Other than that, just liberally
scrub off the paint, as it is just "rubbed" into the rubstrip. Try a
simple dobie pad with soap & water, or a fingernail, tedious but it
may work. Best advice would be not to hit walls with the car ;-)

Joe OBrien

2524 & 16634

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 04:39:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Advertising.

does a decent version of this commercial exist somewhere in the world.  Looks like a recording of a BETAMAX tape that was recovered from an airline crash site.

jordan
11613

Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:
Here is the commercial:

http://www.entermyworld.com/dsontv/comm/comm1.zip

http://vote.yahoo.com

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 18:28:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: courtesy switches

Group-
I have an issue where it appears that my driver's side
courtsey switch has a bad mount. It seems that the
foamy structure underneath the vinyl is breaking down
and I don't have a firm surface for which it to make a
good contact. Sharp corners make the lights come on.
I remembered Dave Sontos used some proximity switches;
that sounds like the ticket for me.
Dave, do your remember what that model number was and
where you got them? Are you still using them? Still
good after four years? Not as invisible as I would
like, but certainly better than a contact/plunger
switch.

Does anyone else have a better idea?

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 21:45:41 -0400
From: motarhedd_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Idle Speed Regulator Problem

I mentioned this in my other post, but i thought i was a serious enough problem for its own thread.

when the key is in the on position the ISR buzzes, is this a normal thing? also, the hose coming from the ISR that goes into the intake, is loose and can be pulled out of the intake. i was told that this is a serious vacuum leak issue and needs to have a o-ring to seal it up. the parts book, shows the pipe, but no o-ring. where can i get the correct o-ring to seal this up?

Thanks,
Russell
Vin#1790
could partially fix my acceleration problem...?

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 23:32:39 -0500
From: "Jace & Jenn" <judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net>
Subject: Bosch Platinum +4 Plugs

I was wondering if anyone knew the correct item number to use for the DeLorean on the Bosch Platinum +4 spark plugs?

Thanks,
Jace

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 23:57:32 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DMC (Texas) Workshop (and other) manuals

In a message dated 9/10/2004 8:25:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
james_at_dml_usadmc.com writes:
Just in the last month or two, we've completely revised the parts manual,
with changes on nearly every page ranging from correcting illustrations to
correcting/adding/deleting part numbers and descriptions. We've also
indicated which parts are sold that are replacement (not NOS). This was a
massive undertaking and as we run across something or another that needs
changing we have the files in an editable digital format so the changes are
easy to make.

Right now, we're in the process of doing final edits on the Workshop Manual,
as well.

I'm very happy... and surprised to hear this.  Happy because it's good for
our cars, the marque, and the vendors that we can keep them on the road as
efficiently and cost effectively as possible.  Surprised because as of the last
discussions I had with DMC Texas, maybe two years ago,  neither Stephen nor James
had any interest to be supportive or involved with such a project- not due to
the desire to do the project themselves, or lack of mechanic credentials on
my part, (both of which would be perfectly legitimate reasons,) but on the
expressed grounds that it wasn't needed.  Let me know when it comes out guys, I
want one too.
Wayne A. Ernst
Bridgeton, NJ

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 06:52:13 -0000
From: nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: powder coating the frame?

Hi, Just after peoples thoughts on powdercoating the frame? Just had
my frame sandblasted and stripped of all the expoy (which the guy
said he would 'never' do again) and it is currently at the
powdercoaters ready to be done tomorrow or the next day. The reason
for my post is i told somebody else i was having this done and they
were addiment that re-painting it was a far better option in case
rust develops under the powdercoat etc etc but i believe this is
what Huston does to it's re-furbed cars?  Has anyone else had this
problem with powdercaoting? My car will purely be a weekender and
the only water it will see is from a hose and it doesnt snow in
sydney!. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers Nick -Sydney 10927

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 07:15:11 -0000
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Time Machine Conversion

I have decided to go ahead and do the time machine.
I have gone back and forth with it in my mind and I keep wavering,
but when I think about how much joy it brings people and how cool it
is I just can't resist!

When I saw Danny's car, and all the others there at PF I flipped
my lid! I wanted to do my car that way SOOOOOOO bad!
The reaction I get from my Flux alone trips people out,
I can't imagine what it is like to have the whole thing!

I would like to get together with everyone who has built one of these
and exchange notes and stories....

I would like to try to build a kit that is modular that can be assembled
onsite without making major changes to the car.
I think it can be done.

If you have built a time machine, or thought about it let's talk
and exchange ideas.
Working together we can make it better!
- VB
VIN#5278

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 15:08:57 -0000
From: "Mike" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Idle Speed Regulator Problem

The rubber 'o' ring is held in place on the side of the intake by a
brass 'cap' which the pipe pushes through to seal it... have you
taken a look to see if the 'cap' is there on the pipe or still in the
wall of the intake?.... i know special t amongst others has the o
ring but check (like on mine) that the cap and o ring in not dangling
on the pipe and just needs refitting....

regards

mike

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 17:04:48 -0000
From: "bkp944" <bk_pollard_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Euro Auto Festival

Are any list members attending the Euro 2004 Auto Festival in
Spartanburg, SC? It is being held Oct. 15-17.

I am planning to go and would like to meet up with fellow DeLorean
owners.

I live in Knoxville, TN and plan to drive over early on Oct. 15th in
order to take the BMW plant tour. Anyone passing by my way?

Thanks,
Brian

VIN#4494

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 08:37:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Time Machine Conversion

>>If you have built a time machine, or thought about it let's
>>talk and exchange ideas.
>>Working together we can make it better!

With all their prior hard work, "extensive research" and "product testing" it
would be more than fair, reasonable & expected for owners that have previously
converted their car into a Time Machine to charge a fee for this information.

Turn about is fair play right?
Or would you rather just "give" everyone the numbers to all those LED bulbs &
rear antenna masts for free?

Shannon Y

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 17:50:07 -0000
From: "Jim Reeve" <jim.reeve_at_dml_wayzata.k12.mn.us>
Subject: Re: Homelink (mirrors or other)

I have not dealt with any Homelink mirrors but I did install an
autodimming mirror off of a GM vehicle into my car ($10 from
junkyard!)  Unfortunately I had to cannibalize my original DeLorean
mirror to get it to mount correctly.  I would be curious how your
exisiting non-delorean mirror is mounted.

***The metal feet off of modern mirrors should not be glued to the
DeLorean windshield, it will eventually crack it.***

Knowning this, I popped my DeLorean mirror off of the existing plastic
mount foam-taped to the windshield.  I then cut out the ball socket
and epoxied it into the new mirror.  I was able to pop it back onto
the plastic windshield mount without an issue, and after a year its
still working great.

Jim Reeve
MNDMC - Minnesota DeLorean Club
DMC6960

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 18:30:36 -0000
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I tend to agree with that; my other car is an old 1990 Dodge Spirit
and I've had to replace the fuel pump 2 or 3 times on it. All of the
times it broke either on me or when my dad drove it, was once on a
hot summer day, and once on the freeway. Of course I drive that car
to death... :) I try to fill my tank up 1/2 way as well. *wry grin*
And I'm pretty much an idiot when it comes to taking care of my car -
meaning Dodge=lazy, not motivated, junkmobile. DeLorean=meticulous,
careful, "obsessive."
-John

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 18:23:22 -0000
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Transmission substitution?

I had heard once that someone had replaced the transmission in his
DeLorean with that of a Porsche 911 4-speed automatic, and that he
used a "conversion kit" of some sorts. Is this mechanically
possible?? I don't think I've ever heard of anyone doing that with
their cars before. What are all your thoughts?
-John, (who recently got a DMC-12 :D yay!)

"Hover convert your old road car for only $39,999.95!"

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 19:07:30 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: powder coating the frame?

That's an interesting question. I wonder if powdercoating is more
durable then epoxy? With your little use I really wouldn't sweat the
rust, but nonetheless I'm curious as to which is better, epoxy or
powdercoating.

Joe OBrien

2524 & 16634

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 14:38:45 -0400
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Re: courtesy switches

The proximity switches are working great. I had some kits made up to sell
but there wasn't that much interest in them. I'm working on improving the
kit now to replace the electric relays with solid state devices and making
the kit more plug and play. Release date TBD.

The proximity switches mount in the same hole as the original push button
switch. If you are having a problem with the mounting hole the proximity
switches may not help. They would still require a firm base.

You may have to replace that piece of the dash.

Dave Sontos

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 14:40:07 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Bosch Platinum +4 Plugs

Jace, I have the plat + 4 plugs in stock.

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 12:02:09 -0700
From: Jeff Angwin <jeff_at_dml_angwin.us>

I had my frame powdercoated two years ago... chose a maroon color...
very cool!
Here is a picture:
http://64.81.48.10/Get/File-112/AA_003.jpg

and the matching engine:
http://64.81.48.10/Get/File-108

Anyway, I have had zero problems with it, and my D is a daily driver.
Based on my experience, I would say Go For It!

---Jeff---
VIN 3034

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 15:12:12 -0400
From: "Wizard" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>
Subject: VIN #2449 History or Info

Hello everyone.  I just purchased VIN#2449 ('81 automatic w/black int.)
from a guy in Massachusetts.  If anyone has any info. on this car it
would be greatly appreciated.  The owner I purchased it from bought the
car from another guy in MA who has the car for quite some time.  The
previous owner (not the guy I bought it from) apparently was having it
serviced and the mechanic put a lien on the car.  The car was in Rhode
Island for a while then brought back to MA.  The guy I purchased it from
bought the car in 1996 and drove it for a while.  He supposedly brought
it to PJ Grady to get fixed and did not want to wait for it and took it
back.  ****(In all fairness to PJ Grady, they supposedly told him it
would be a while before they could look at his car because they had a
lot of other people waiting to be serviced before him.  This guy just
did not want to wait and took it back.  Apparently no hard feelings on
either side, just wrong timing for both parties.)****

Anyway, any help or history would be greatly appreciated.

Jason