From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2231
Date: Friday, September 17, 2004 4:24 AM

From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>

From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>

From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

From: "Mike" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: fred lockett <delorean_pilot_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "Rustproof" <Rustproof_at_dml_comcast.net>

From: illyana delorean <illyana_at_dml_mindspring.com>

From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

From: "EJ Chambers" <marmieej_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>

From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com

From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

From: "paradidl" <paradidl_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Noah <sitz_at_dml_onastick.net>

From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

From: "Mike Polzin" <MPolzin_at_dml_sen.com>

20. DMC in a US museum
From: "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_hawes74.freeserve.co.uk>

21. Gullwing Magazine! Thanks Ron!
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 19:35:26 -0500
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>
Subject: Baurle Heat Deflector

With regard to aerodynamics changes due to the heat deflector ...

No additional air is forced under the car.  It only redirects it away from
the tank.  Thus I'd theorize that there will be very little affect.

Nick

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 19:41:31 -0500
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>
Subject: RE: powder coating the frame?

I powder coated the frame on my D and would recommend it.  If rust occurs
under the powder coat it will not be between the paint and the steel.  It
would develop inside the steel.  Much as it does in the epoxy coating.

When the first coat goes on, have them use a zinc rich base coat and then
follow up with a color coat to match.  The zinc will slow down any rust.

FWIW I had mine zinc chromated before powder coating with the zinc rich
primer coat.

For those who doubt the value of powder coating ... that is what is on your
washer, both the external and the tub.  As long as the surface coat is not
broken to the point where steel is exposed I doubt that you'll ever have to
worry.  Ask your powder coater about some stories as to the value and they
will be able to share how truly strong it is.

Nick

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 15:18:35 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

I heard that if you powdercoat your eingine, it reduces the heat
dispersal properties because you're coating the aluminum.

Anyone have thoughts about this?

Johnny
5518

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 07:37:32 -0000
From: "Mike" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

Hi

Im interested in how much of the epoxy you have managed to get
off?...ie are the internal sections stripped of the epoxy too?...can
you actually powder coat internal sections of the frame?...

Regards

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_y...>

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 09:38:02 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>
Subject: Re: courtesy switches

Dave -- These sound cool. What are they, exactly, and how do they work?

-Ryan

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 05:53:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I guess I don't understand what happens with your
projected-kit.
Why don't the new switches just simply replace the old
switches? What else has to happen with the relays?

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 18:21:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: fred lockett <delorean_pilot_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Little dings and dents!

I've noticed a few on my fenders. Since they are
small, I wonder if there is a technique one can follow
to tease them out, or is it a job for the Dent Wizzard?

http://vote.yahoo.com

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 21:36:39 -0400
From: "Rustproof" <Rustproof_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Am I missing something here?

I found this posted on eBay. I can't even imagine how this guy come up with this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7922290179&category=33643
Rustproof

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 20:37:23 -0700
From: illyana delorean <illyana_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: delorean handbag!

i was checking out these handbags that are made out of actual seat belt
straps, and one of the color choices is "delorean silver." just thought
i'd mention it to you guys!

illyana

p.s. here's the site, in case you're curious:
http://www.seatbeltbags.com/index.php

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 05:41:49 -0000
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: Lambda Counter

Group, I put up a picture on the sight today on how to reset the
Lambda counter and a little about it.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/Lambda-counter.jpg

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 13:23:56 -0000
From: "EJ Chambers" <marmieej_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Door Air Vents

Hello:

The door air vents on my DeLorean are warped and brittle to the point
much of the upper trim has fallen off and it is very hard to rotate
the air vent. I check DMCH website and they do not show to have this
part any more. Has anyone replaced these before? If so, with what?

Thanks!
Ej

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 19:45:05 -0500
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>
Subject: Lagonda - DMC Photo

For those who have not seen this, check out the DMC side-by-side a Lagonda.
2nd picture http://freespace.virgin.net/roger.ivett/pix.html

The first time I saw  a Lagonda I thought I was looking at what a 4 door
DeLorean would look like.  Note that the two cars seem similar in size.

Enjoy,

Nick

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 11:02:25 EDT
From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: AutoFest Car Show 2004

  Just a reminder that the annual "AutoFest" car show event in Evansville
Indiana is coming up next weekend, Sept 24 and 25. The Midstate Delorean Club has
attended this event every year since it first started about 7 or 8 years ago,
and we're planning on being there again this year. This year we're going to
have 15 plus Deloreans coming in from Colorado, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Ohio,
Illinois, Missouri, Kentucky, Indiana and other areas. Our group uses this show
as a kind of end of year, relax and enjoy yourself type event, and I must say,
we've had a lot of fun in the past getting together for one last time each
year to enjoy ourselves. Anyone who is interested is more then welcome to join in
on the fun. You can check out event information at - http://www.autofest.com/.

   The show organizers have once again this year set aside a separate parking
area for us at the show so we can all park together right in the middle of
the show.  They have also set up a separate class for judging our cars. You can
register for the show on Saturday morning at the event. Pre registration is
not required.

   As in the past, our group is staying at the Hampton Inn East, just off the
outer loop. We have a block of rooms set aside at $69 per night. You can call
812-473-5000 for reservations. Just tell them you are with the Delorean group.

  If anyone has any questions, please email or call.

  Marty Maier
  314-565-4749

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 09:35:58 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>
Subject: Gear selection adjustment

Well, I have my new Centerforce clutch in. All new hydraulics and
everything. I took her around the block tonight; let me tell you, it's
magically delicious. I never knew it could be so smooth.

One problem, though: Selecting gears isn't magic nor delicious. In
fact it's a little harsh. I spent almost 2 hours trying to get the
perfect adjustment by playing with the linkage where it hooks to the
transmission and only managed to make the car driveable. How can I get
my buttery-smooth shifting back? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

A big thank you to all who helped make this happen for me, answering
questions, emailing pictures, etc, and a special thanks to Toby
Peterson for taking so many of my phone calls without getting
irritated. ;) It took two weeks and a lot of pain - I've easily been
under the car for over 24 hours in total - but it's done. With a
bigger garage and a proper lift I could do this job in an afternoon
now. While I was at it I installed many new seals, new rubber heater
lines & control valve, cleared the crud from the inside of my metal
heater lines, installed my Toby TABs, a new fuel filter, new synthetic
gear oil, and a few other things I can't remember.

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 02:46:05 -0000
From: "paradidl" <paradidl_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: D Sighting

Hey ya'll!  I was flipping channels to day and landed on E!
during 'Scream Play' right when a very nice looking D came rushing
around the block of what appeared to be an old Hill Valley set.  I
didn't catch the plates on the car though.  Anybody on the list know
who's car was used?

Alex Turkovic
Still waiting for the dream...

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 12:36:23 -0400
From: Noah <sitz_at_dml_onastick.net>
Subject: Re: Re: powder coating the frame?

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 03:18:35PM -0000, thebrave65 wrote:
> I heard that if you powdercoat your eingine, it reduces the heat
> dispersal properties because you're coating the aluminum.
>
> Anyone have thoughts about this?

Were one to use a darker color (black, as an example), wouldn't
the heat dispersion properties actually improve? Or do I have that
backwards (or just dead wrong)?

Noah

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 14:27:41 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Am I missing something here?

I noticed how he changed it to a "UMC" now. Before it was called a "DMC
Delorean emblem".

Mark V

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 16:19:56 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: 4 SPEED AUTOMATIC DELOREAN

GOOD NEW DELOREAN FANS ,   TCI IS NOW SELLING A PLUG IN CONTROLLER FOR
THE ZF 4HP22 E  TRANSMISSION.    THIS NOW ALLOWS BOTH THE 4 HP 22 HL AND
THE 4 HP 22E TRANSMISSIONS TO BE USED IN THE D.

THE COMPUTER IS $1200.  SO THE ELECTRONIC TRANSMISSION CONVERSION WILL
COST AT LEAST $1200 MORE THAN THE HYDRALLIC.

JUST NEED TO GET THOSE CUSTOM BELLHOUSINGS MADE.

THE GEARING IN THE ZF 4 1ST GEAR, IS A LITTLE LOWER THAN THE ZF 3.  THE
OTHER GEARS ARE THE SAME, EXCEPT FOR THE OVERDRIVE.

!!!!!STEVEN,  THIS WOULD BE A NICE ADDITION TO THE 25TH ANNIVERSARY
DELOREAN!!!!!

BOB

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 11:33:12 -0500
From: "Mike Polzin" <MPolzin_at_dml_sen.com>
Subject: Manual Shifting questions

I have a project car that I bought last year that I have been diligently
working on restoring, and getting it back in the fleet of active cars. I
have already replaced the steering rack - as a side note I highly recomment
the PJ Grady rack, very nice - and all of the clutch hydraulics - slave and
master cylinders. We ended up having to pull the steering wheel to get it
"straight" when the wheels were straight, but all is now good with that. I
continue to have two persistent problems that I need assistance with.

1) The car shifts nicely through 1, 2, 3, 4 gears, but I can't get it into
fifth. I I have a sneaky suspicion that there is something goofy with the
shifter mechanism because when I push ot over to go into fifth the shifter
is up against the top of the console and can't go any farther to the
right... as a result I end up in 3rd gear again. At 65 miles per hour on the
interstate that is not good. Ideas?

2) Is there a way to test the frequency valve to see if it is working? The
car idles around 2000 rpms. The screws on the intake are snugged down (they
were not when I bought the car), and I tried adjusting the idle screw with
no luck. She still idles high. I have pulled out the computer behind the
drivers seat and swapped it with a known good one. When I unplug the
frequency value while the car is running, there is absoloutely no difference
in how it runs. I could not find any obvious vaccuum leaks.

Thanks in advance.

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 23:29:23 +0100
From: "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_hawes74.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: DMC in a US museum

I have just seen a fascinating movie about the Tucker story and found not
only a USA museum containing a rare Tucker (1 of 50 made) it also has a 1983
DMC-12 in its collection.

It is a shame that there has not yet been a Hollywood 'DeLorean....Living
The Dream' movie.

http://www.tacm.com/

Has anyone seen this car?  It is at the Tallahassee Antique Car Museum,
3550A Mahan Drive, Tallahassee, FL 32308, USA

Regards

Chris Hawes
UK #5255

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 23:15:40 -0000
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Gullwing Magazine! Thanks Ron!

I almost wet myself when I checked the mail and found a new issue of
GULLWING Magazine waiting for me!
Getting Ron's GULLWING and Ken's DSC are the highlights of the month.
I read them front to back, cover to cover and love every second of
it... being that I have only had my car a year I am still a noobie
and a little wet behind the ears on these cars and my passion for
the subject has yet to fade.

Do you ever just wonder outside and take a gander at the car
and take a deep breath and sigh..... "awe, it's mine all mine".

This month's Gullwing had some great articles in them, and I just want
to say that it is well done, the printing, the layout, everything.
You can see that a lot of hard work goes into these, I do graphics all
the time and I know how long it takes to put together even a single
page like this, let alone a whole book of them!

I would just like to encourage more members to get a subscription
to this magazine.
Ron and Cheryl work really hard on it, have invested a lot of money
and time into it and I think we all owe it to them to help them out.
The tech articles, the resources and vendor links are all very helpful
and heck, it looks good on the coffee table!

and a few back issues too!

Mr. and Mrs. Wester, GOOD JOB!
- Videobob
VIN#5278