From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2232
Date: Friday, September 17, 2004 2:38 PM

1. Re: Manual Shifting questions
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

2. Re: Manual Shifting questions
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

3. Re: Manual Shifting questions
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

4. RE: Re: powder coating the frame?
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>

5. Re: DMC in a US museum
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

6. Re:4 SPEED AUTOMATIC - 25th Anniversary Delorean???
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: 4 SPEED AUTOMATIC DELOREAN
From: Marcel Bourgon <mbourgon_at_dml_elp.rr.com>

8. Re: DMC in a US museum
From: "Randy Atamaniuk" <martydmc_at_dml_telus.net>

9. Re: 4 speed automatic DeLorean
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

10. RE: DMC in a US museum
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_stiefelaluminum.com>

11. Re: Baurle Heat Deflector
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

12. Re: Lagonda - DMC Photo
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

13. Re: Brake lights not working
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Gullwing Magazine! Thanks Ron!
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

15. Automatic trans leaks
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

16. Headlight alignment
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

17. Alternate Car Seats ???
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>

18. Our Friends in Pensacola and on the gulfcoast
From: deloreanss_at_dml_aol.com

19. DeLorean crash on I-5 in California
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>

20. Re: Can you clean paint off of the rub strips??
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

21. Re: Automatic trans leaks
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>

22. Re: Automatic trans leaks
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

23. Re: Re:4 SPEED AUTOMATIC - 25th Anniversary Delorean???
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

24. Re: 4 speed automatic DeLorean
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

25. Re: powder coating the frame?
From: Jeff Angwin <jeff_at_dml_angwin.us>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 01:39:11 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Re: Manual Shifting questions

The problem with your shifter is you need to adjust the cable.  You
can do this underneath the car.  There are 2 large nuts that you need
to adjust.  The procedure *is* covered in the service manual.

Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 02:02:56 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

Mike - In regards to the shifting question, I believe that you will
have to adjust the shift cable.  Changing the length of the cable
slightly moves the entire shift pattern back and forth laterally.
The procedure can be found in the DMC shop manual on page F:07:01.
Based on what I read there, you'll need to lengthen the cable
slightly to move the shift lever stop pin to the left.  You should
evaluate which direction that you need to adjust it based on the
measurements and pin positions found in the manual.

The frequency valve probably isn't the source of the high idle.  I'd
have a look at the idle speed motor, which can get gunked up inside
and stick.  Many people have taken theirs apart and cleaned it up to
make it work better, or you can simply replace it.  Of course, with
these cute little silver cars, there are typically four or five
possible sources for every symptom.  Most times, when the frequency
valve fails, you can tell because it stops buzzing like an angry
hornet.  I may be wrong in this, but I think that the car simply
defaults to a rich condition when this valve quits working.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 03:00:38 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Go over the adjustments for the gearshift. A 1/2 turn can make a large
difference. You might have to dissasemble it a little to clean and
lubricate it properly. Check the pivot points for excessive wear and
replace any worn parts. You should keep an extra pivot bolt in the
glove box anyway. I assume you put the steel braided clutch line in,
if you haven't you may not be getting full disengagement of the
clutch, which would make shifting hard. It is also likely that you
will have to replace the roll pin inside the trans to get 5th. It may
be worn due to forcing the shifts. You should not have needed to pull
the steering wheel to get it straight. Make sure you have the same
amount of steering to the left as you do to the right. If you have
more on one side than the other you need to center the steering wheel
and probably do a toe adjustment to center the rack. If the frequncy
valve isn't affecting the motor you probably still have vacuum leaks
which would also be why the idle is high. Check the tube under the
mixture unit. Make sure the "O" ring is sealing it. Make sure there is
a plug in the hole over the mixture screw. Check that the throttle
spool is returning all the way to idle and clicking the idle micro.
Check the quadrant link from the throttle spool to the throtttle
plates for play.

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 21:09:17 -0500
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>
Subject: RE: Re: powder coating the frame?

Where the epoxy is in good shape there is little reason to remove it.
Inside much of the frame Mine was in great shape so I left it.  Yes they can
powder coat inside the frame but it requires having the right spray
equipment to get inside.

Nick

Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 02:11:45 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com
Subject: Re: DMC in a US museum

The LeMay Collection in Tacoma, Washington also has a Tucker
alongside a DeLorean in its display.  I really enjoy it when they
put these two cars together, as it really raises the DeLorean to a
new level in regards to perceived collectability.

http://www.lemaymuseum.org

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_h...>
wrote:
> I have just seen a fascinating movie about the Tucker story and
found not only a USA museum containing a rare Tucker (1 of 50 made)
it also has a 1983 DMC-12 in its collection.

Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 03:58:55 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re:4 SPEED AUTOMATIC - 25th Anniversary Delorean???

25th Anniversary Delorean??? Is this a planned project, or just
wishful thinking? I'd like to know more if possible.

Thanks.

Joe OBrien

2524 & 16634

> !!!!!STEVEN,  THIS WOULD BE A NICE ADDITION TO THE 25TH
ANNIVERSARY

Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 06:20:39 -0600
From: Marcel Bourgon <mbourgon_at_dml_elp.rr.com>
Subject: Re: 4 SPEED AUTOMATIC DELOREAN

Bob Brandys wrote:

>GOOD NEW DELOREAN FANS ,   TCI IS NOW SELLING A PLUG IN CONTROLLER FOR
>THE ZF 4HP22 E  TRANSMISSION.    THIS NOW ALLOWS BOTH THE 4 HP 22 HL AND
>THE 4 HP 22E TRANSMISSIONS TO BE USED IN THE D.

bob
I have a 81 DMC and now need to replace the automatic trans.  I was
about to order one from DMC Houston but your email has peaked my
curiousity.  When do you feel these untis would be available for
purchase.  I will be ready in the next three months.
Thanks
Marcel Bourgon
El Paso

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 22:58:39 -0600
From: "Randy Atamaniuk" <martydmc_at_dml_telus.net>

"> It is a shame that there has not yet been a Hollywood 'DeLorean....Living
The Dream' movie"

http://www.stainlessgullwing.com/indevelopment.htm

Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 14:09:52 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Just out of curiosity, what does a good used Porsche automatic cost?
The performance increase sounds good, but I don't believe that this
will save anyone money vs a new or rebuilt DeLorean transmission.
How complex is mifying the mounts, and what do custom (shorter) axles
go for since these transmissions are somewhat wider than the original
DMC?

Transmission + Bellhousing + Axles + Computer + mount fabrication =
$?

I think this is probably one of those things that you would do for
the performance increase or to handle a higher power engine, but not
to save money vs buying a new or refurbed OEM trans. Anyone
considering this needs to consider the whole picture.

Dave S

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_s...> wrote:
> GOOD NEW DELOREAN FANS ,   TCI IS NOW SELLING A PLUG IN CONTROLLER
FOR
> THE ZF 4HP22 E  TRANSMISSION.    THIS NOW ALLOWS BOTH THE 4 HP 22
HL AND
> THE 4 HP 22E TRANSMISSIONS TO BE USED IN THE D.
> THE COMPUTER IS $1200.  SO THE ELECTRONIC TRANSMISSION CONVERSION
WILL

Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 07:43:00 -0400
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_stiefelaluminum.com>

Harrah's in Reno (I heard the name might have changed since I was there),
had not only a Tucker, but one of the real Gold DMC's

Jack Stiefel
www.fmtimemachine.com
Direct listen link: www.live365.com/stations/radiocape

Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 05:34:41 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com
Subject: Re: Baurle Heat Deflector

Nick - I tend to agree with you.  There may be some effect, based on
the fact that the "exhaust flow" (if you want to call it that) from
the radiator will tend to be more focused with the deflector, as
opposed to bleeding out in several directions without it.  However,
the radiator and the fan shrouds are already tilted down quite a
bit, so it shouldn't be at all significant.  Now, if we were talking
about the Buggati Veyron at 250+ mph, undercar air management is
critical to stability.  With the DeLorean?  Not so much.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_b...> wrote:
> With regard to aerodynamics changes due to the heat deflector ...
>
> No additional air is forced under the car.  It only redirects it
away from the tank.  Thus I'd theorize that there will be very
little affect.

Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 05:26:36 -0000
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>
Subject: Re: Lagonda - DMC Photo

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_b...> wrote:
> For those who have not seen this, check out the DMC side-by-side a
Lagonda.
> 2nd picture http://freespace.virgin.net/roger.ivett/pix.html
>
> The first time I saw  a Lagonda I thought I was looking at what a 4 door
> DeLorean would look like.  Note that the two cars seem similar in size.
>
> Enjoy,
>
> Nick

Yeah, gotta love how they call the Delorean in the picture an
"imposter"  got a chuckle out of that.  :-)  Notice that the console
kinda looks like ours.

Richard

Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:15:15 -0000
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Brake lights not working

It was the switch.  It was locked up.  I replaced it with one on my
parts car.  Just in time too....its a great day today!

Thanks,
Erik

> It's most likely the switch though. I've seen several bad ones in
the
> past year (not all in the same car).
>
> Dave S
>
> > Check that brake light switch. It doesn't just bolt into place.
It

Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 06:00:42 -0000
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>
Subject: Re: Gullwing Magazine! Thanks Ron!

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_h...>
wrote:

> I would just like to encourage more members to get a subscription
> to this magazine.
> Ron and Cheryl work really hard on it, have invested a lot of money
> and time into it and I think we all owe it to them to help them out.
> The tech articles, the resources and vendor links are all very
helpful
> and heck, it looks good on the coffee table!

> and a few back issues too!
>
> Mr. and Mrs. Wester, GOOD JOB!
> - Videobob
> VIN#5278

Well, it's almost 2am as I'm reading this thread and now I want to
rush downtown to my post-office box to see if my copy is there.  Since
I've had a few beers, I'll just wait til morning.  :-)

I agree that Ron & Cheryl do an excellent job with the magazine.
They're even flexible on how you can pay for the subscription.  Ron
let me pay for my first subscription last year by paying part of his
hotel bill for the London Ontario DMC meet.  Can't get cooler than
that, eh?  lol!

Richard Rowe

Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 01:10:15 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Automatic trans leaks

I've been chasing a leak on an automatic (not mine) for some time now
and am about to rip the thing out of the car and see how far I can
throw it. This is more than the normal dripping that they all do,
it's a 6-0inch puddle after driving it. So far I've:
--replaced the dipstick o-rings and sealed them (not leaking there
now);
--replaced the o-rings on the multi-switch and the solenoid plug, and
sealed them with RTV as recommended by Rob G (does not appear to be
leaking there now);
--replaced the pan gasket several times using a couple of different
gasket sealers including anerobic and spray-on. Not RTV, though..

It honestly seems to be leaking at the back (toward the engine)of the
pan, i.e. right about where the wire is held that goes across there.
I'm about to to go at it again, this time I'm planning on trying
Permatex "The Right Stuff" without any gasket at all. Has anyone
tried this? Did it work? What else HAS worked?

Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 12:40:15 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Headlight alignment

Is it possible to align your own headlights to a reasonable degree or
is this some critical function that only a "DMC ordained high-priest"
can do?

Assuming I must take it to a shop, who normally does this, and what
does it cost?

I realize that the DMC-12's headlights are outdated and don't provide
the same illumination that modern cars do, but I'm pretty sure my low-
beams are pointing too far down, to the right and I've got one high-
beam especially pointing down.

Thanks in advance,

Rich A.

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 21:54:40 -0500
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>
Subject: Alternate Car Seats ???

I was thinking of pulling the stock seats and keeping them as is.  I'd then
replace them with something out of a another car upholstered per my liking.
the question is:
- What other cars seats fit the DeLorean?

Thanks,

Nick

Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:49:37 EDT
From: deloreanss_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Our Friends in Pensacola and on the gulfcoast

Hi everyone, I just wanted to send our prayers to the gulf coast and everyone
down there. I know that there are at least three Deloreans down there. I hope
all of the owners are alright. When you guys get power back, would you
account for yourselves so we know you are alright. (Scott, Jeremiah, Heather)

Best Wishes,
John Weaver
MidSouth DMC
RED DMC 10527

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 20:27:17 -0700
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>
Subject: DeLorean crash on I-5 in California

At a local Pantera meeting, one of the members said that on Tuesday he
saw what was left of a DeLorean on Interstate 5 somewhere between
Anderson and Stockton. He said it looked like it had been rolled and it
was being loaded onto a flatbed. He was quite sure it was a DeLorean.

Ken Montgomery, Sacramento CA - VIN #10911 'OUTTIME'
http://www.time-traveler.org/delorean/
mailto:kenm_at_dml_csus.edu
President, Northern California DeLorean Motor Club
http://www.ncdmc.org
http://www.dmcnews.com mailto:directory_at_dml_dmcnews.com

Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 05:40:52 -0000
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>
Subject: Re: Can you clean paint off of the rub strips??

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> At least the rub strip did its job. Other than that, just liberally
> scrub off the paint, as it is just "rubbed" into the rubstrip. Try a
> simple dobie pad with soap & water, or a fingernail, tedious but it
> may work. Best advice would be not to hit walls with the car ;-)
>
> Joe OBrien
>
> 2524 & 16634

Didn't somebody try to park their DeLorean INSIDE the hotel room at
PF?  Just ask him how he cleaned the rubstrips.  Ooops, sorry couldn't
resist! ;-0  Jusk joking of course.

Richard

Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 11:46:29 -0400
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>
Subject: Re: Automatic trans leaks

Are you sure it's not the transmission cooler hoses?  I developed a
fairly sudden severe leak in one of these that cost me my transmission.
   Like the engine coolant hoses, this is an age-related issue that is
likely to become common as the fleet ages.  Might be time to start
thinking about replacing these hoses as a PM measure. Rob Grady has
nice pretty blue high-tech replacements.
--Pete Lucas
   VIN #06703

Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 17:08:06 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

I do not use Hylomar anymore. On EVERY trans I used it I had leaks. I
use the Blue Permatex sensor safe silicone. Make sure the trans is not
overfilled. If it only leaks when running it is a pressure leak. If it
does not leak when sitting the case is probably OK. Check the
connections that go to the cooler. They may be loose, a flare may be
cracked, a hose may be leaking at a crimp etc. Another source of leaks
is the shift cable. Rob Grady sells a LARGE piece of heat-shrink
tubing that you put over the whole cable to seal it. On the
transmissions that I do they do not leak except for a tiny spot under
the final drive, and that is gear oil. Check the line pressure, if it
is too high that can push fluid past seals. If the fluid level is too
low that can cause foaming and that will come out of the breather. As
you can see the proper level is important. Check the final drive too.
Not only should it be gear oil but if it is too high then you can
suspect an internal leak, the trans fluid is getting into the final
drive, and that is not good for the longevity of the gears in the
final drive. The trans fluid is thinner than the gear oil so if it is
getting in there it will leak out easily. If it is coming out of the
bell housing you might have a blown seal on the converter. Pull the
lower inspection cover and see if it is wet in there.

Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 11:16:09 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

Joe,

You probably were not in PF.  DMCH  is working on a 25th Anniversary
Delorean with a new interior that is awesome.  Stage II engine upgrades
which make the engine far more powerful and easier to work on.   A
larger storage area in the bonnet - possibly big enough for the rear
tire incase of a flat.

BOB

Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 11:13:41 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

Dave,

You are right about the cost issue of converting to a 4 speed automatic.
 It is more expensive.

Here is my experience.

4HP22E WITH torque converter and bellhousing and trans cross member  $2500
Kennedy adaptor plate modified for D engine
                    $500
Custom trans mount bracket  Boyce engineering
                 $150
Trans computer  TCI
                              $1200
Mouser custom axles
                                $900
Trans cooler
                                         $100
Custom hydralic lines to trans cooler
                          $100

BOB

Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:34:31 -0700
From: Jeff Angwin <jeff_at_dml_angwin.us>
Subject: Re: powder coating the frame?

Thanks, Bob! All the credit goes to Danny Botkin and Don Steiger at
Delorean Motor Center for their fabulous work on this project.

I will certainly be at the Chicago show. Now I have to start saving my
pennies to get the D there too :-)

For more pictures and the story behind my car, check out the latest
issue of Gullwing Magazine (shameless plug for Ron and Cheryl and their
great magazine)

Jeff Angwin
VIN 3034