From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2236
Date: Sunday, September 19, 2004 11:00 PM

1. Re: DeLorean turns over, but won't start?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

2. Re: D At Taco Bell
From: whocruiser_at_dml_aol.com

3. RE: For sale owners, "Beware"
From: "Wizard" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>

4. Re: Glue/cement for window trim
From: Owen Emry <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>

5. Deloreans running r-134a
From: "Robert" <robert.peek_at_dml_comcast.net>

6. Re: Brake light 3rd
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: 4 SPEED AUTOMATIC DELOREAN
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

8. New GULLWING issues will be mailed soon...
From: gullwingmagazine_at_dml_juno.com

9. Slightly high idle when warm
From: "D F" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>

10. Re: Deloreans running r-134a
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

11. Re: Gullwing Magazine!
From: "gullwingmagazine" <gullwingmagazine_at_dml_juno.com>

12. Re: Re: Fuel System Problems
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>

13. Re: starter aftermarket replacement
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

14. SS Hinges
From: "usndmc" <usndmc_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. FIXED! Another Non-Starting/Idle Speed Regulator
From: motarhedd_at_dml_aol.com

16. Some books are so wrong.
From: "paul" <paul.morgan_at_dml_monifieth.co.uk>

17. Re: SS Hinges
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: SS Hinges
From: "Stephen Card" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>

19. Re: Re: DeLorean turns over, but won't start?
From: Joe Angell <jangell_at_dml_tmproductions.com>

20. Re: Start, Die, No Start
From: "ctdmc83" <nmastrocinque_at_dml_sikorsky.com>

21. DMCH's exhaust .....yanked??
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. RE: For sale owners, "Beware"
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

23. Re: Slightly high idle when warm
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

24. Re: Some books are so wrong.
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

25. Re: Some books are so wrong.
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 21:59:04 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean turns over, but won't start?

Maybe you were working near the inertia switch and knocked it? Check
if the fuel pump runs. If it runs see if you have spark. One or the
other is missing.

Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 19:02:44 EDT
From: whocruiser_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: D At Taco Bell

In a message dated 9/17/2004 6:56:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com writes:

> Message: 25
>    Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 18:04:11 -0400
>    From: "Dan RC30" <danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>
> Subject: My D has FINALLY paid off... ;-)
>
> Ok, last night I took the D through the drive thru window for some fine
> Mexican food; i.e. Taco bell. The drive thru guy was an older man who was
> shocked to see such a car. He reacted wildly when I opened to door to pay.
> He even called another person to come look at it. He said, "wow, what a
> car." So I replied (laughing), "Thanks. Do I get a free taco with my order
> now since I brought the car?" He laughed too, but guess what, I had one
> extra hard shell taco supreme in my bag when I got my order. I thanked him,
> gave him the thumbs up, and took off... :-)
>
> ---Evil Dan

Dan -

Interesting bit of trivia here...  Did you know that back in 1981 Taco Bell
was actually giving away Deloreans?  REAL ones, not toy plastic cars (McDonalds
did that for a Back To The Future tie-in.)  Several of them were given away
as prizes in a scratch off ticket game.  Among the major prizes offered was a
Delorean, or $25,000 instead of the car.  Don't know how many, if any, of the
cars were actually given away - does anyone else out there know more on this?
It was my very first exposure to the car, and then I saw one at the Miami, FL
dealer, Warren Henry Volvo, a few weeks later while car shopping with my mom.
She looked at the Volvos, eventually bought a Ford :-(

          *****WhoCruiser_at_dml_aol.com is Dan Harris*****
WhoCruiser's Personal Home Page: http://members.aol.com/WhoCruiser
Read about The Sci-Fi Sea Cruise at: http://www.scificruise.com
Purr-use The Cat House at: http://members.aol.com/LookAtMyCatsPage

Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 19:18:05 -0400
From: "Wizard" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>
Subject: RE: For sale owners, "Beware"

Just an FYI, if this happens to anyone, bring the check to the State
Police and they put it in their system and can arrest the guy for Fraud
and False Pretences.  They can also be prosecuted under Federal Law
(stiffer fines and prison time) as it is a violation of Interstate
Commerce if it take place between states.

Jay

P.S. -- (My wife is an attorney)

Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 16:24:25 -0700
From: Owen Emry <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>
Subject: Re: Glue/cement for window trim

Follow-up:  I didn't word my original question very well, but I was actually mostly wondering what sort of adhesive to use.  The original fuzzy strips seem to be in pretty good condition.

Anyway, I just contact cemented them back on, and so far so good.  If they don't hold up, it might be time for something more drastic...

-Owen

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 04:10:16 -0000
From: "Robert" <robert.peek_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Deloreans running r-134a

I'm needing information on Deloreans running with r-134a. My 1981
Delorean VIN #3172 is only getting down to 60F with the fan on high
while driving down the freeway. I've taken pressure readings from the
compresser 32/300lbs. I have also checked that both of my cooling fans
are working properly.

Last fall I took it to a local shop (Lewisville, Texas) they converted
it from r-12 to r-134a. They replaced the accumulator and orifice
tube. I'm not realy sure if they changed out the oil. I'm thinking
this is where my problem lies.

Any direction will be of great help.

Thank You
Robert J. Peek
214-223-2580

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 07:32:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Brake light 3rd

My personal preference, and choice, is the LED strip from a Suburban. It looks like it was original to the D.

Chris

John Hervey <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com> wrote:
Group, I have added to the accessories page the Corvette 3rd brake
light which looks like it was made for the Delorean. I was able to
get 3 of them for now.
Here is the link.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/accessories.html

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 16:43:52 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: 4 SPEED AUTOMATIC DELOREAN

I don't know if this relates, but Renault later made a 4-speed box that
uses the same mounts, but it's notoriously unreliable and also not
servicable (ie you cant buy parts for it, only exchange the whole thing).

Martin

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 12:25:54 -0700
From: gullwingmagazine_at_dml_juno.com
Subject: New GULLWING issues will be mailed soon...

To all subscribers that heard the new issue is out and are asking
"where's my issue?", I'll repeat
--watch your mailbox, they will all be shipped shortly.
Only a few copies of this issue have been shipped already.  (first to the
advertisers and the contributing writers, and a few others).  Just wanted
to let you know so you're not checking your mailbox every day just yet!
We had a printing delay, but we're getting back on track.  Now there's a
paper delay, so if everything's fixed by Monday or Tuesday, the rest
should be mailed by Wednesday.  (give the P.O. another 4-7 days for media
mail delivery.)

It's great to hear your compliments and excitement about another issue.
Thanks for your support.

See ya!

-Cheryl

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 18:02:44 +0000
From: "D F" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Slightly high idle when warm

[MODERATOR'S NOTE: The subject line of this message was modified to better reflect the new substance of the message. Many subscribers will read or discard messages based on their subject line alone.]

Strange but true..
I went to a Taco Bell Friday Night in my Delorean and also got a free Taco
Supreme...
Different Reason..  They couldn't hear my order at the drive up through the
small windo.. then..
She couldn't hear my order through the small window because I was so low I
guess.. then when I finally got my food there was a FREE extra Taco
Supreme.. I'm not sure why..

Anyway, this weekend I drove my Delorean on a 450 mile round trip.. That's
it's biggest test since all the work.. I'm now comfortable driving it
anywhere on the highway or in the city.

Everything went perfect.. and.. I checked gas mileage which turned out to be
between 27 and 28 for the whole trip..   At this point, and after doing most
everything to my car the only issue seems to be that it idles at 1000 rpms.
I've checked every spot for air leaks and so have several mechanics.. Any
idea why it would idle at 1000 when it's warm.. It seems to be at 750 when I
first start it.

Dale Funk

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 18:02:56 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Deloreans running r-134a

They had better have changed the oil. Otherwise, it'll ruin your A/C
system.

R-134a has the potential of becomming as cold as R-12. My only
comparison had been first generation vehicles from the early 90's,
that were not really tuned for 134a, and didn't cool very well, since
auto makers didn't have  enough experience under their belts, IMO.
Having driven some more modern vehicles with 134a, I've really taken
a liking to it. Especially in vehicles with small passenger areas,
where it cools very quickly, and efficiently.

The EPA does list some unoffical documentation on their website about
fine tuning cars that have been converted over to R-134a. It's
unofficial since the EPA doesn't want any liability, and it deals
with tuning a vehicle outside of manufacturers' specs. A very good
guide, and the final "nail in the coffin" that convinced me to
abandon R-12 altogether. As the article states, it is reccomended to
adjust the high pressure switch to cut off at 21 PSI, for optimum
cooling.

http://www.epa.gov/Ozone/title6/609/oneshop.html

If you want complete resources on MVAC air conditioning systems for
your car, here is the place to go:

http://www.epa.gov/Ozone/title6/609/index.html

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:17:36 -0000
From: "gullwingmagazine" <gullwingmagazine_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Re: Gullwing Magazine!

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_y...>
wrote:
> Ron,
>
> Will you be bringing copies of Gullwing magazine to sell in
> Evansville again this year?
>
> Joe OBrien
>
> 2524 & 16634

Joe (& others):

I'll have my "editor" copies with me (one of each issue) for
viewing.  If we don't experience any more delays and we have extra
current issues available after the next batch goes out to
subscribers, we'll bring them to Evansville again this year.

As always, the latest issue can be ordered at the regular
subscription rate up until the time that the next new issue becomes
available and replaces it.

We're looking forward to seeing everyone at the River City Autofest
THIS COMING WEEKEND (September 24-25)!!!!  See you soon.

-Cheryl Wester

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 15:41:59 -0400
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>
Subject: Re: Re: Fuel System Problems

Wouldn't a flaky pick-up coil cause the engine to die after warming up?
I've had it running for at least an hour at times with no issues.

I know my pulse coil measures 700ohms when the engine is hot so I do not
believe that is bad either (someone correct me if i'm wrong). Another
thing is where am I likely to have my restrictions for the return fuel?
I believe having the extra-high pressure in the fuel system is due to
not having enough flow back to the tank, and I know it is someplace
before the accumulator (as the volume there is low for the return).

I'm unable to test whether the injectors are opening during cranking
when warm today, nor the spark. May be able to test tomorrow evening (if
Florida doesn't decide to rain on me).

Samuel

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 15:40:34 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: starter aftermarket replacement

In a message dated 9/17/04 2:48:50 PM Central Daylight Time,
supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu writes:

> Does anyone know if the starter from the Volvo 262 (B28F) will fit the
> DeLorean properly?  The local foreign auto parts store says they can
> get  a rebuilt one with warranty for $85.
>
> Matt

You should be able to get yours rebuilt at any good electrical/machine shop
for the same price, or less.  no fit issues there!  don't waste your time and
money ordering parts that MIGHT work - I bet those guys won't refund your money
if doens't work, will they???????

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 21:33:17 -0000
From: "usndmc" <usndmc_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: SS Hinges

Does anyone make stainless steel engine cover and luggage
compartment cover hinges?

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 16:47:51 -0400
From: motarhedd_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: FIXED! Another Non-Starting/Idle Speed Regulator

Hey again folks!

seems iv'e found out what the problem was. the tube coming from the ISR was NOT inserted into the "intake" properly, and i found the old broken o-ring laying on top of the engine. there was no sign of any retaining ring however. so i corrected this problem as best i could, took the car for a spin, and started to smell gas. i pulled over in an "unfavorable" part of town and found gas leaking into the trunk. the fuel line coming from the pump had a split in it and was spewing gas all over the place. so cut off the inch of tubing and replaced the tube for a quick fix until we replace the fuel pump.

it was a little scare, but i'm glad the D was back on the road again.

Thanks for all the advise and help,
Russ
Vin#1790

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 22:53:05 +0100
From: "paul" <paul.morgan_at_dml_monifieth.co.uk>
Subject: Some books are so wrong.

a relative bought me a classic car book for my birthday. It didn't make very
happy reading the DMC section.
I trust you disagree with these comments.
http://www.morganized.com/dmc1.jpg

http://www.morganized.com/dmc2.jpg

http://www.morganized.com/dmc3.jpg

http://www.morganized.com/dmc4.jpg

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 16:21:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: SS Hinges

I saw some at PJ Grady last time I was there..

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 22:26:34 -0000
From: "Stephen Card" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>

> Does anyone make stainless steel engine cover and luggage
> compartment cover hinges?

I believe Rob Grady may be working on some. You may want to check
with him. www.pjgrady.com
Stephen

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:35:47 -0400
From: Joe Angell <jangell_at_dml_tmproductions.com>
Subject: Re: Re: DeLorean turns over, but won't start?

> Maybe you were working near the inertia switch and knocked it?

I just checked it (never knew quite where it was before), and it was
OK. I pulled out the plunger and then pushed it back in just for the
heck of it, but still no go.

> Check if the fuel pump runs.

I can hear the buzzing hum from the fuel pump when I start the car, so
it appears to be running.

> If it runs see if you have spark. One or the other is missing.

Just checked that, and there is spark.

I disconnected the line on the fuel regulator that goes to the center
of the fuel distributor.  The gasoline that poured out was a milky
white.  That seems pretty bad.  I removed the fuel sender and the whole
tank appears to be filled with this milky white fuel.

I took off the fuel cap, and the spring-loaded thing where you pour
fuel in was locked open.  A magnet pulled it back to closed easily
enough, and it works fine now.  I was wondering if water somehow got in
while it was jammed, but the gas cap was secured over it, so that seems
unlikely.

Anyway, I drained the fuel tank (of COURSE I'd just filled the tank),
and it went from milky white to cloudy yellow.  That took quite a
while, and it's dark now, so I'll get some new fuel and try it out
tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!

-- Joe

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 22:29:44 -0000
From: "ctdmc83" <nmastrocinque_at_dml_sikorsky.com>
Subject: Re: Start, Die, No Start

Everyone, ALL IS WELL.  I think Mr. Hervey's assessment was
correct.... it simply "loaded up with fuel and died".  I turned the
key this morning and it started perfectly.  I just made sure to idle
it a little high (1000-1200 rpm) for about two minutes and then it
settled into its usual 950 rpm idle with no problems.  I appreciate
everyone's suggestions and will search the list for how to unplug the
cold start valve per Mr. Herey's suggestion in the event this ever
happens again.  Thank you all again!

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_h...> wrote:
> I had a gofy thing happen once, the car would start, sputter and
die.I
> noticed I could smell gas really bad so I pulled off the boot to
the fuel
> pump and the friggin hose had COME OFF ans was just sitting there
sucking
> the gas that was pooling in the boot!
> I reconnected it as tight as I could and everything has been fine
since.
> Just thought I would mention it.....
> - VB
>

> >From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_w...>
> >To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
> >Subject: [DML] Re: Start, Die, No Start
> >Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 02:27:27 -0000
> >
> >Check to see if you can hear the fuel pump run. It should at least
> >pulse when you turn the key. If you don't hear it check the inertia
> >switch and the RPM relay. You may have to jumper one of them out to
> >get the pump running. You can also try a SMALL squirt of ether. If
it
> >starts and runs at all then you know for sure it's a fuel problem.
If
> >that won't get it going at all then check for spark. If you don't
have
> >spark check the connections on the ballast resistors, or it may be
> >pick-up coil or ignition coil. These are the most likely suspects.
Of

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 22:54:59 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DMCH's exhaust .....yanked??

I noticed afew weeks ago that Houston's link to their exhaust wasnt
working, now since they updated the site its not there at all. What
happened?

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 15:38:21 -0700
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

If they also used the US postal service I think you can get him for mail
fraud too, but I'm no attorney.

Darkstar

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 20:13:37 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Slightly high idle when warm

In a message dated 9/19/04 4:59:30 PM Central Daylight Time,
funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com writes:

> Everything went perfect.. and.. I checked gas mileage which turned out to be
> between 27 and 28 for the whole trip..   At this point, and after doing most
> everything to my car the only issue seems to be that it idles at 1000 rpms.
> I've checked every spot for air leaks and so have several mechanics.. Any
> idea why it would idle at 1000 when it's warm.. It seems to be at 750 when I
> first start it.
>
> Dale Funk

Dale,

Have you checked/replaced all the vacuum hoses for the A/C mode switch and
the carbon canister?  there are vacuum lines in there too that could cause a
problem.  Since the problem only appears when the engine is hot, i would assume
the problem lies somewhere in the engine compartment's vacuum lines.

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 00:31:56 -0000
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Some books are so wrong.

Most of these things are very wrong. The heavy doors section, our
doors are packed with stereo speakers, and the air ducts make them so
heavy? What do they want, tripple gas struts to hold the door up?
-Dani B. #5003

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 00:32:58 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

I had checked this book out at the library some time ago. I am fully
capable of owning up to our cars shortcomings such as bad wiring, the
weak crumple tube and less-than-desireable horsepower but this book
verges on slander.

It amazes me how these things are written based on faulty information,
and at the whim of the author's opinion and not facts.

Every time I get depressed from reading unflattering literature about
our cars, I just remind myself of the lovely women driving all the
upscale SUV's and German sports cars who wave and smile as I drive by.
It's true!

Rich A.