From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2237
Date: Monday, September 20, 2004 4:07 AM

From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

From: "dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick_at_dml_aol.com>

From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>

From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

12. DCS magazine
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

13. Re: starter aftermarket replacement
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 00:41:39 -0000
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Some books are so wrong.

Well I think we all can agree that at the time of the 1979 launch of the car, the door strut
was the ONLY thing that held up the door.  Haha, I would like to know how much
inaccurate information on other cars is printed in that book.  And why does the interior
look "imposing"?  I think it looks modern even compared to cars today.

Patrick
1880---The 1979 model  :)

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 00:45:18 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

It looks like you've got that Quentin Wilson book. Why he hates our
cars so much, I'll never know.

However, I can tell you for certain that the A/C systems were not
bad. In fact, my mechanic who was the head mechanic for the Las Vegas
dealership told me that the Air Conditioning system on the DeLorean
was the most prided part of the car. He'd seen almost every possible
problem go wrong with the cars, but not a single soul had ever
complained about the A/C. And we're talking about the 120F Las
Vegas
desert here.

The writer of the book is clearly biased, and the archives here have
some stories about him. He's spoken with DeLorean owners in the past,
and given them nothing but praise. And then has used their cars for
photo shoots, and ripped them to shreds.

A funny car book that just came out is called, "Automotive
Atrocities". I picked up a copy a few weeks ago.
/0760317879/qid=1095639871/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/103-7343223-3003048?
v=glance&s=books&n=507846
Funny as hell! And yes, both the DeLorean and the Bricklin are listed
in the book. However, the writer was pretty honest, and didn't really
have anything negative to write about the DMC-12 car itself. He even
gave it kudos as being one of the very few cars that are appriciating
in value. Although, he wasn't positive about JZD, (he had worse
things to say about the Cosworth Vega). The author has a VERY sharp
wit, and pulled no punches on the other cars. So it took me back a
little.

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 01:03:17 -0000
From: "dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick_at_dml_aol.com>

"Dated Delorean: by the time of its launch in 1979 [?] . the Delorean
was old before its time.  '70's styling motifs abound, like the
slatted rear window and cubed rear light."

Well my 1983 280ZX had rear louvers as did my friends late eighties
Camaro, which by the way had cubed rear lights as well until the
early '90's replacement.

It was so "dated" looking that it was used as the basis for the Time
Machine in BTTF.   But it is funny how styling is cyclical (Don't
think I spelled that right).  Today the Delorean looks more like new
cars than ever.  For example the new caddy convertible.  Very angular
and low.  For that matter BMW, Mercedes and quite a few other
automakers are going back to the more angular designs and abondoning
the "cab forward" and jelly bean styling that had become so prevalent
over the last 15 years or so.

Just my opinion.

Michael

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:53:13 -0700
From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>

I read this section in a bookstore and was disgusted by all the
inaccuracies. It seems like the author had something against the car, he
seemed to speak objectively about the other cars in the book but loved to
bash the DeLorean. It sounds like he's never even been around the car or
talked to any owners. It's a shame that these inaccuracies will be spread
and people will believe them. Tell me, how would stainless steel be
impossible to clean? Isn't that exactly why restaurants and hospitals use
the very same material?

payne

> a relative bought me a classic car book for my birthday. It didn't make
very
> happy reading the DMC section.
> I trust you disagree with these comments.
> http://www.morganized.com/dmc1.jpg
>
> http://www.morganized.com/dmc2.jpg
>
> http://www.morganized.com/dmc3.jpg
>
> http://www.morganized.com/dmc4.jpg

---

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:33:27 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: starter aftermarket replacement

Make sure they have all the parts to rebuild the starter. The solenoids may
not be available.

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:35:17 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: DMCH's exhaust .....yanked??

Call DMCH and ask them!

Mark V

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 04:04:36 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel System Problems

I'm a late comer to this thread, but:

You can certainly test whether the injectors are spraying during
cranking by simply pulling one and placing it in a bottle, plugging
the empty bung with a 3/8" (or 10mm) bolt in the injector seal to
prevent a major vacuum leak (interfering with normal air sensor plate
movement), then visually watching what it does as the engine turns
over. Disconnect the distributor lead wire to prevent accidental
starting during this test.

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 04:00:20 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I'd just give them a call, I doubt it has been removed alltogether
as it is part of the Stage II engine. So they'd likley still have
them available. Just give them a ring if you're really interested in
one. (800) USA - DMC1

Joe OBrien

2524 & 16634

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 21:43:29 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Fuel System Problems

Samuel,
If the pulse coil wasn't working it wouldn't turn on the fuel pump and the
tack wouldn't work and the ignition coil spark would be non existence. 500
+/- 5% is normal cold and 700+/- 5% is correct hot. So you are correct.
If you have any blockage in the return line back to the tank the fuel
pressure will rise and the control plunger in the fuel distributor wouldn't
rise high enough to feed the injectors and you would be running lean if at
all.

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 00:43:58 -0000
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Burned engine oil

I just changed my oil today after about 3500 miles since my last
change. The oil came out reddish and smelled burned. Is this just
because I didn't change it soon enough, or is this the result of a
deeper problem-the lack of correct oil pressure? I'm not sure if this
was described already on the list but- How can the pressure
be checked? I've installed pins in all my gauges-so the needle in the
oil gauge goes past the highest number and hits the pin always. I run
10W30, and have never had this problem before until now. what do you
guys think? -Dani B. #5003

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 21:06:06 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: PS Delorean Car Show Magazine

I had a question on how do You know if you signed up for the renewal

Up to the DeLorean Car Show PF we sold only Volume 1 consisting of 4  issues.
We Start a new volume after the Show so this will be Volume 2 issue 1 and
covers 2  years up to Pheasant Run Chicago.

I forgot to mention we will have information on Pheasant Run in this issue
as well

thanks

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 20:52:35 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DCS magazine

The next issue of DCS magazine will be at the end of October after the fall
foliage tour which is the 15-17th so we need a few weeks to get it in and to
the  binder.  Most of the rest of the magazine is laid out.  If you have an
article you want to to submit there is still room for one or two more

Also if you have not renewed your subscription yet for the DeLorean Car  Show
Magazine you still have time before the next issue.

Subscriptions run for 2 years and covers four issues.  One in April  and one
around the end of October.  The next issue will cover Pigeon Forge  and the
guests plus some technical artilces and more new adds from our  vendors.

So far about 1/3 of you have renewed this time you can do so at
_www.DeLoreancarshow.com_ (http://www.DeLoreancarshow.com)
and click on the magazine link
_http://www.xybiz.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=X03&Category_Code=MAGS_
(http://www.xybiz.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=X03&Category_Code=MAGS)    (the web page
and click on magazine is easier.

In addition the 170 mile car is sold and has shipped to its new home so  that
will be coming down from the web page.  I left it up to to requests to  see
it one more time.

Thanks again

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 04:20:08 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

If so, you could simply mount a remote solenoid somewhere else in the
engine compartment and run a big wire directly to the starter motor,
a'la Ford Motor Company.

A remote solenoid would give you the ability to bump the engine, since
there's no clearance to put a socket wrench on the crankshaft pulley nut.