From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2238
Date: Monday, September 20, 2004 6:59 PM

1. Re: Some books are so wrong.
From: "checksix3" <jetjock11_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. Rusty headlight brackets
From: "usndmc" <usndmc_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Speaking of contest giveaways....
From: " Toscano" <toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

4. mounting a supercharger
From: nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com

5. Fixed ....Mode Switch Replacement?..............
From: "Mike" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

6. 1576 vs. 89 lights
From: "smileksr" <michaelbarth_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. DELOREAN AUTO TRANS SWAP
From: "Wizard" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>

8. Factory Shifts/Key Code
From: "bkp944" <bk_pollard_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. RE: Burned engine oil
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

10. RE: Burned engine oil
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

11. Re: Brake light 3rd
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: D At Taco Bell
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

13. Re: Our Friends in Pensacola and on the gulfcoast
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Re: starter aftermarket replacement
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: 1576 vs. 89 lights
From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>

16. Re: 1576 vs. 89 lights
From: "Owen _at_dml_ Aerodrome" <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>

17. Auto trans leak part 3
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

18. Re: 1576 vs. 89 lights
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

19. JC Whitney LED 3rd brake light...
From: "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_myrealbox.com>

20. Re: Rusty headlight brackets
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

21. RE: Brake light 3rd
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

22. RE: Speaking of contest giveaways....
From: "Arnie Brandon" <arnie_at_dml_pndc.org>

23. Re: Brake light 3rd
From: "bkp944" <bk_pollard_at_dml_hotmail.com>

24. Sudden acceleration syndrome?
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. Re: Sudden acceleration syndrome?
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 02:11:39 -0000
From: "checksix3" <jetjock11_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Some books are so wrong.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "paul" <paul.morgan_at_dml_m...> wrote:
> a relative bought me a classic car book for my birthday. It didn't
make very
> happy reading the DMC section.
> I trust you disagree with these comments.
> http://www.morganized.com/dmc1.jpg
>
> http://www.morganized.com/dmc2.jpg
>
> http://www.morganized.com/dmc3.jpg
>
> http://www.morganized.com/dmc4.jpg

Huh? Actually, nothing I see there is far from the truth at all.
Try detaching yourself emotionally from the car and you'll see just
about all of it is pretty much dead on.

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 04:42:12 -0000
From: "usndmc" <usndmc_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Rusty headlight brackets

I am in the process of replacing my front fascia, and when I got the
black headlight buckets out, I saw that the metal bracket pieces
(that the other end of the spring attaches to) on each side were
quite rusted. I decided to go ahead and order new ones from DMCH to
put in, but I was curious to any opinions on what to do to keep
these ones from rusting like that as well. Is there something I can
coat them with, or perhaps have them powder coated (avoiding the
spring) or something? Thanks for the advice!

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 00:59:56 -0700
From: " Toscano" <toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Speaking of contest giveaways....

Sometime between 1995-97, some meat company or related grocery product
promoter gave away a DeLorean. I remember because there was a huge
cardboard standup display at the supermarket that I lived near at the time.
The display was near the meats, and when I asked a manager if I could have
the display, she referred me to the meat manager. Needless to say the guy
forgot I had asked and threw out the sign when the promotion was over.

Anyone know what company did that promotion? Or who won?

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 05:16:01 -0000
From: nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: mounting a supercharger

Hi, While my engine is still on the stand and not back in the car, I
am about to make a decision on were to mount my supercharger and
fabricate the brackets. I have seen the picture on the net of the
side mounted one which looks like a very neat conversion. I have
converted to electronic injection and intend in disgarding the
current throttle body set-up for a GM one incorporating a throttle
position sensor. This is not much extra work as i have to do alot of
pipe work with the supercharger anyway.
I have an eaton stlye supercharger which lends itself for a top
mount postion (inbetween the valley which no longer has the throttle
body there) but this would either mean cutting a hole in the engine
cover or removing it all together. Has anyone ever removed this
cover and did you experience any problems? I dont really see a down
side, maybe a bit if water entering???? but the current cover also
has holes in it, as long the distributor has a cover on it to stop
water entering....Maybe an up side would be less heat retention in
the engine bay. Just after any thoughts before i go ahead and do it.
It would be possible to side mount it but would prefer the top mount
position for pipe work etc....
Will post some pic's soon when the engine is back in the frame. I
have also had alot of the engine parts powdercoated and it's all
finally starting to go back together!

Cheers Nick-sydney

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 09:51:45 -0000
From: "Mike" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Fixed ....Mode Switch Replacement?..............

Hi All

Thanks to all for the advice re my mode switch and air not getting
directed to the relevant vents etc.

( BTW : Found the best way to access this switch was to put the
drivers seat right back and after removing the knee pad on the
dashboard, lay upside down with legs and feet up and over the drivers
seat back and by pulling back the side wall of the console to gain
access to the switch... got some real funny looks but hey :)   )

My mode switch had obviously been there for the last 23 years.. all
dusty and dryed up... all was in an as new good condition but the
grease / lubricant had well dryed up and gone. Also the little maze
gasket had detached itself from the backing and was just 'spinning',
I cleaned this all up and super glued the gasket back on in the
correct position, (there are some little circular marks on it for
alignment )and greased this all back up.... Now for the first time i
can have air on my face and also demist my windscreen! :) ....As a
added bonus my idle (when hot) is also back where it should be!!...

Lastly whilst im on, i retapped my 7mm bolt holding the AC tentionner
pulley arrangement again using a 7mm dye, this has cleaned the
threads out and made my existing bolt screw up nice and tight....oil
weep has gone now :)

Thanks again to all for the great number of emails etc on both of
these problems... Your time and expertise is greatly appreciated as
ever.

Kind Regards

Yorkshire, Uk

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:58:26 -0000
From: "smileksr" <michaelbarth_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: 1576 vs. 89 lights

Has anyone noticed that the rear 5-light panel is supposed to be four
#1576 bulbs and one #89 bulb?  Why do they use the #89?  I simply
used another #1576 in its place and it works fine...even better.

Mike
#6538...I think?

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:18:13 -0400
From: "Wizard" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>
Subject: DELOREAN AUTO TRANS SWAP

I have an 81 DeLorean (automatic trans) and want to swap the ENGINE
only, not the transmission with a spare engine out of an 81 DeLorean
(standard trans).  Anyone done this before?  Any issues I should know
about.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

JAY

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:13:48 -0000
From: "bkp944" <bk_pollard_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Factory Shifts/Key Code

I pulled the headliner off my driver's door for the first time.

Written inside was:
"October 1st / 12:40 am"

My car, #4494, is an October '81 build. Is it possible 4494 was the
first car completed in October '81?

It appears there was at least a "midnight" shift working on cars in
October '81. Did the factory run 3 shifts in October?

Secondly, this was also written in the door top:
"300 901 / 11L"

Does this look like a valid key code?

Thanks,

Brian
VIN# 4494

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 03:14:17 -0500
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Burned engine oil

RED and BURNED?
Are you sure you didn't drain the TRANSMISSION?

Burned oil is usually BLACK and like tar.
I have never seen red oil in my life unless it is some sort of synthetic I
don't know about.

Besides, I change my oil every 2000 miles.
My Dad who was a pro race driver back in the day taught me a thing or two
about engines
and one of the ones he drilled into me was to change the oil BEFORE it turns
brown
while it is still clear.
Brown or black oil is the result of the oils breakdown of lubrication, the
black stuff is carbon
and is now more like a fine sandpaper chewing on your engine.
Changing the oil while it is still somewhat clear is the trick to a long
lasting engine.

His little S10 has 385K miles on it.
He should know.
- Videobob

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 05:43:02 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

How many miles are on the car. In your area I would run 20/40 minimum.

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 09:12:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Brake light 3rd

Here's a couple of pictures of my high center brake light.

http://pic7.picturetrail.com/VOL204/983745/5267792/67295674.jpg

http://pic7.picturetrail.com/VOL204/983745/5267792/67295692.jpg

Chris

Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:
My personal preference, and choice, is the LED strip from a Suburban. It looks like it was original to the D.

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 08:58:11 -0700
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>
Subject: Re: D At Taco Bell

I've also got an extra taco at Taco Bell while driving my D,  but my D
is scoring me a free dinner this week.
The local business group I belong to is having its annual awards dinner
and it is a 80's theme this year. Since I'm attending the dinner I
asked the organizers if they wanted me to drive the Delorean and park
it out front for ambiance.  They excitedly thanked me and offered to
pay for my dinner. They sent out a mailing saying that there will even
be  a "Real Delorean on display" and asked people to dig out their best
80's outfits so I'm off to dig out my checkered Vans, Alligator shirt
and Members Only jacket.
Phil Priestley
Alessandros 120
http://alessandros120.com/
(503)370-9951

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 21:41:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Our Friends in Pensacola and on the gulfcoast

Hey there John,

Jeremiah here.  We made it through the hurricane very
well.  My house was not damaged; and my DeLorean was
taken well care of in Frisco City, Al -- 70 miles
North of Pensacola.  The car didn't get one drop of
water anywhere.  Both me and my friend's car, Casey,
whose bodyshop my car was in, both made it through
without so much as a drop of water.  His house, my
house, our cars, and our parent's homes made it
through with little (non-structural) damage -
basically completely unscathed, and on top of that -
my place still has electricity.  If all that's not the
work of God, I don't know what is.  Thank you for
thinking of us; I have not heard from Scott or Heather
yet - Pensacola looks as if it has been hit by a bomb
- it is really bad.  Go to
http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com to see what's left
of Pensacola.

Jeremiah

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 11:12:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: starter aftermarket replacement

On the 3.0 PRV conversion, I used the starter from the
3.0.  It fit perfectly, is much more compact than the
original Delorean starter and works fine.  I'll try to
round up some pics later.  I might still have the
original Delorean starter.  If so, I'll even weigh
them and see what the difference is.

=====
Steve

VIN 2650 ("Project Delorean")
www.projectdelorean.com

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 11:11:21 -0700
From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>
Subject: Re: 1576 vs. 89 lights

I thought these were 1156 bulbs for the brake/turn signals? I used an 1156
LED cluster in place of the 89 bulb and it worked fine. It will be brighter
once I fashion a proper reflector. I'm not sure why they use an 89 instead
of matching the rest of the bulbs. Does anyone know if they're rated for
lower voltage?

payne

> Has anyone noticed that the rear 5-light panel is supposed to be four
> #1576 bulbs and one #89 bulb?  Why do they use the #89?  I simply
> used another #1576 in its place and it works fine...even better.
>
> Mike
> #6538...I think?

---

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 11:56:31 -0700
From: "Owen _at_dml_ Aerodrome" <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>

Not sure what those numbers you quote are, but the issue you're getting at is probably the bulb wattage.  The steady taillight bulb should be a 5-watt bulb -- the others are higher, usually ~20W.

You want a lower-power bulb in the taillight position because it's a marker light -- there's no benefit to blinding people.  Also, you want significant contrast between the taillight and the brake light.

-Owen
VIN 10470 "1 21 GW"

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 18:58:03 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Auto trans leak part 3

Yes - I'm still chasing it. After another weekend of quality time
under the car, I'm starting to think that the leak is between the
auto trans and the differential. So - a couple of questions for the
automatic transmission rebuilders out there. Keep in mind that this
is a car with significant (80K) miles on it, has reportedly leaked
since new (although not quite this bad) and I've checked and
eliminated the usual suspects such as the cooler lines, shift
linkage, dipstick, electrical plugs (2) and the pan gasket (now VERY
firmly sealed in place with Permatex "Right Stuff"). It's a very
significant leak - after filling the trans and running the car maybe
15 minutes, there a 6-inch oil spot after sitting overnight.

--Has anyone ever seen this problem?
--Is is possible to separate the transmission from the differential
IN the car? (NOT the whole trans-axle, just removing the automatic
part). I'm suspecting that the leak is where the two join together,
and if it can be separated at that point it would maybe save some
effort.

I'm really not looking forward to dropping the trans out of this car,
in fact I'd probably pull the engine to get to it.

Thanks. - Dave S

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 11:35:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Mike,

I'm assuming you're talking about the taillight circuit boards (I mention that because I don't remember the bulb numbers).  If you put the brake light bulb in the running light socket, you will eventually melt the reflector inside the running light hole --and the reflector is not easy to come by from what I hear.

I speak from experience as at some point my previous owner decided to swap the running light bulb with the reverse light bulb.  Bad idea!  It left an unsightly mark inside the lense.  Granted, the meltdown is invisible from the outside, but I'm sure it decreases my lighting capacity somewhat.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Jake Kamphoefner
Enjoying the hell out of 1063

smileksr <michaelbarth_at_dml_hotmail.com> wrote:Has anyone noticed that the rear 5-light panel is supposed to be four
#1576 bulbs and one #89 bulb? Why do they use the #89? I simply

#6538...I think?

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 19:48:15 -0000
From: "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_myrealbox.com>
Subject: JC Whitney LED 3rd brake light...

I've seen a few variations of 3rd brake lights installed on DeLoreans,
and I like the idea...  Has anyone tried or seen these:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductDisplay/c-10101/s-10101/p-160587/mediaCode-ZX/appId-386080

They look like they might be perfect to put one on each side of the
center bar, underneath the top louvre slat.

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 19:14:01 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Re: Rusty headlight brackets

I would powdercoat them.  If the new ones are cadmium/zinc plated like
many of the other brackets on the car, they too will rust after the
coating diminishes.  You may even be able to salvage the ones that you
have, providing that you can sandblast them without putting holes in them.

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:34:32 -0500
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

What year Suburban?

Scott Mueller 002981

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 14:11:35 -0700
From: "Arnie Brandon" <arnie_at_dml_pndc.org>
Subject: RE: Speaking of contest giveaways....

This promotion was put on by Thorn Apple Valley Premium Meats in
August/September 1996.  The promotion was nation wide and here in the
Seattle area, Thorn Apple Valley "hired" cars from the Pacific Northwest
DeLorean Club (PNDC) for showing in front of various grocery stores where
Thorn Apple Valley would have a cart that sold  hot dogs made of Thorn Apple
Valley sausage with a soft drink for $1.00 and at the same time you could
fill out a coupon for a drawing for the giveaway DeLorean.  It was a large
promotion with great advertising.  Interesting to note that we, PNDC, were
never able to find out who won.  You were able to mail coupons to Newark,
NY, 14513-0903.  Don't know if this was company headquarters or merely
contest operators.  Even now, 8 years later, it would be interesting to know
who won.  Anyone know??

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 20:35:15 -0000
From: "bkp944" <bk_pollard_at_dml_hotmail.com>

> Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> My personal preference, and choice, is the LED strip from a
Suburban. It looks like it was original to the D.

I agree with Chris. I installed this LED strip also and went a step
further by adding a flasher unit to the strip. Now, for the 1st 5
seconds after the brake pedal is depressed, the LED strip flashes.
If the brake pedal is left depressed past that, the strip lights
continuously.

I placed a 2 amp inline fuse from my normal stoplight signal to the
added 3rd brake light setup. If there is a problem with the LED
strip, the flasher unit, or the wiring to the LED strip - the 2 amp
fuse will open and prevent the original brake light setup from going
out.

Pictures here:

<http://home.comcast.net/~bk-pollard/images/3rd%20Brake%20Light.jpg>

-Brian
VIN# 4494

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:28:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Sudden acceleration syndrome?

I have a problem that has me scratching my head, soon to be banging against wall. My idle will suddenly increase from 780 to 2600. Not just at idle either. The first time it happened I was going down the road and it seemed like I had hit "resume" on a cruise control (no, there isn't one and never has been). It may stay at the 2600 idle for several minutes, up to 60, or it may just go up and then down and anything in between. Hard to explain and VERY annoying.

I recently replaced the fuel pump, fuel pump relay, tank baffel, hoses and cleaned the tank. My problem started about 500mi after doing this work so I think it's unrelated?

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 23:20:43 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Sudden acceleration syndrome?

That certainly sound like a problem with your air/fuel mixture. And
while you're right that the work performed wouldn't have affected
this condition, something else could have.

Have you been working on anything in the engine compartment in the
time since? It could be a loose hose, or something else causing a
vacuum leak. That would mess up the A/F mixture, and would cause the
engine to surge, as the LAMBDA system tried to correct the fuel
mixture.