From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2242
Date: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 2:39 PM

From: Bob Rodgers <bob_at_dml_deloreanmotorcar.com>

From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: DeLorean5000_at_dml_comcast.net

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

8. Clutch master & slave
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

9. Re: Hot battery pole
From: "anbrahaesl" <anders_at_dml_smartfilm.se>

10. DMC in Wall St Journal
From: "JSJB100" <jsjb100_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: Yet Another Oil Thread
From: ttanaka504_at_dml_aol.com

12. Re: Re: Red Oil Herring (B27 vs B28)
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

13. Re: Radiator mounting differences in 83 models?
From: "media1524" <brentlun_at_dml_netrax.net>

14. Update on leak.
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Thomas Patschka - VIN 10004
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

16. Re: Radiator mounting differences in 83 models?
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

17. Re: DeLorean RV ???
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

18. Windscreen Trim Removal.....Advice Please....:)
From: "Mike" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

19. Re: Radiator mounting differences in 83 models?
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

20. Re: Powder Coating Kits
From: "painterdave72" <painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. A new set of keys
From: "secret_jedi_guy" <secret_jedi_guy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Re: DMC in Wall St Journal
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. Re: Brake light 3rd
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

24. Re: Burned engine oil
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

25. Re: A new set of keys
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 21:54:46 -0400
From: Bob Rodgers <bob_at_dml_deloreanmotorcar.com>
Subject: DeLorean RV ???

I received an email recently:

My father has asked for me to get any info on The Delorean Rv. He would
like to find one that he may purchase. Do you have any info on this or
where I can search for one.

I responded and got this answer:
My father insists it is true. He was in one about 2 years ago when a
gentlman was on vacation here. He said it is not much bigger than a van but
he was able to stand in it, just barely that is, ( he is about 5'5). The
thing that interested him is the fact that it has a restroom in it. He says
that this vehicle was more of a traveling convienence than RV. It had a 3.8
liter v-6 engine and the gentleman was from California.

OK, what gives?
Bob
VIN: 17015

Robert S. Rodgers
bob.rodgers_at_dml_ConsultRSR.com      http://www.ConsultRSR.com
bob_at_dml_DeLoreanMotorcar.com        http://www.DeLoreanMotorcar.com

Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 21:53:16 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Powder Coating Kits

I know you need a separate oven to powdercoat because you wouldn't want
to cook in it after powdercoating some parts.

Mark V

Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 20:03:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Factory Shifts/Key Code

You are all being waaay to sensitive about keycodes.
There is a good chance you can take any key for any
car, walk up to a similar model and it will work on
the stranger's car. That's why they've started
embedding chips on keys.
As a formerly-practicing locksmith, I have a key
cutter and codes for the Delo's. It's a lot more
trouble than it is worth to find someone's key code,
cut a key, find their car and steal it. It would be
far easier to break in and outright steal it. Or
trick/bribe a tow truck driver into taking someone's
car....
Just chill.

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 03:28:54 +0000
From: DeLorean5000_at_dml_comcast.net
Subject: Re: Burned engine oil

I was told this car sat in North Carolina prior to when I got
> it, how long is unknown. >

You were told correctly.  The car sat a good 1.5-2 years at a gas station not 4 miles from my house.  This was around the year 2000/2001 if I remember correctly.  At the time it was owned by a man in Virginia who had it for 6-7 years sitting outside in his backyard.  This is what I was told by the mechanics at the service station.  How or why it made it to NC, I have no idea.  It was there to have fuel system work and a clutch put in.  I don't think they were ever too successful in doing the work though.  Gas station has since been shut down.  I have some pics of our cars side by side at the station somewhere in my collection......

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 03:26:19 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

You are right, that would be the next logical conclusion. It happens a
lot more often than many people realize. I see a lot of cars (not
Deloreans) with windshield washer fluid in the brake fluid. BOY, does
that make a mess. If you have ANY doubts about what was in there I
would drive the car some, buy a can of flush to put in and drive some
more, and then change the oil and the filter again. I always recomend
when you buy a used car one of the first things you do is change ALL
of the fluids. You really don't know how long the old stuff was in
there and you certainly don't know what it is. We can argue over what
viscosity you should use but if you didn't put it in you don't even
know what it is! On Deloreans especially (British cars in particular)
you HAVE to flush out the old brake fluid EVERY 2 YEARS! How old is
YOUR brake fluid? Try taking out the windshield washer tank. After 20
years it can smell really bad. Wash it out and refill with fresh. At
the very least you MUST check the levels. In particular I am refering
to the transmission. The fluid (gear oil) on the 5-speed doesn't
really ever go "bad" but it doesn't hurt to change it, since many cars
drip, after 20 years you *might* have to add some!!!!!

BTW I would never mention the word idiot, I would use the word novice,
(sounds a lot more polite).

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 05:03:40 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Red Oil Herring (B27 vs B28)

Oil passages are identical B27 to B28. Douvrin produced 2.7 and 2.8
liter blocks side by side through 1987 (Renault Z7 series alongside
Volvo B28). Volvo literature makes no mention of ever modifying the
oil passages (I have both B27 and B28 manuals through 1985). Volvo
newsgroups make no such mention either (nor do they mention "soft" B27
camshafts). For some reason DeLorean owners love to tout their engines
as new & improved. But the simple fact is: Douvrin only made one basic
block unchanged 1974-1988 (dimensional differences in some components
to accomodate varying compression ratios, cylinder displacements, etc).

I previously thought Volvo instigated redesign of the PRV into even
fire B280 (Chrysler 3.0) for the 1988 model year. But a Peugeot
website claims that honor goes to their 1986 Model 505.

Curiously, a PRV mechanic has told me the block now in my car (which
is actually a Peugeot ap, not B28A) was assembled in the early 1990's
-- well into "second generation" production. Latest date I've found is
December 1986 on the thermostat.

Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 23:50:00 -0400
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

I have been powder coating for several years. The limitation to the home unit is the size of oven you have. The use of your wife's oven is usually not appreciated and the odor is pretty strong to do inside so you may want to buy a big oven and put it in your garage. Of course there are IR heaters available that are pretty pricy.
The powder coat unit I have is made by Eastwood.
It is an easy process if you get the part down to bare metal first and once you coat it do not touch before heat curing. It is like talcum powder on the part and any bump will mark the finish.
If you are unsure of the cleanliness of the part heat it first to ensure it is completely free of contaminants.
Your home results will be as good as any commercial operation and once you have the equipment it is cheap.

Cecil Longwisch

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 05:13:33 -0000
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: Clutch master & slave

Group,
If anyone has any used or old clutch master cylinders or slave
cylinders laying around and they are rebuildable I will pay $30.00
for the master and $10.00 for the slave. I will also trade for parts
if you want to.
Email me or just send them to the address on the web site.

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:12:22 -0000
From: "anbrahaesl" <anders_at_dml_smartfilm.se>
Subject: Re: Hot battery pole

Thanks! It did the trick!

Cleaned and retighted an working fine!

Anders

> Anders, Take the connection off and clean it and put it back on.
Over time
> the connection builds up corrosive layer and the current demand has
to go
> thru a smaller good surface to get what you want. At that point it
will get
> hot.
> John Hervey

summer

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:00:30 -0000
From: "JSJB100" <jsjb100_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DMC in Wall St Journal

Hi Group

Don't know if anyone saw the Friday Sept 17, 2004 weekend section of
the WSJ....the article on the first page talking about "cars as the
new investment". The article suggested that DMCs have gone up in
price about 20-25% over a few years with lists of 17k-25K.  They did
poke a little fun at the DMC saying that the 80's craze helped drive
up the prices,  but hey, we did get some national press.

Sorry I can't send the link, you have to have a paid internet
subscription to get into the site.

Joe B.

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:24:53 EDT
From: ttanaka504_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Yet Another Oil Thread

        Sorry I did not tell correctly. I drove about 15000miles with 0W20 oil
for 2 years. I change the oil every half year with an oil filter.
I open the engine head covers to check rocker arm clearance every a year.
It is still NO PROBLEM.

        The reason why I like Toyota oil is that I have V8 Toyota in my house
and I know the oil, I am using, contains molybdenum.
Toyota recommends to use this BEST grade oil in Toyota
genuine oil for high grade Toyota V8 engine. I know those engine has very new
tech and tight clearance. The recommended oil should be good.
plus I live by Toyota City.
I still do not recommend to use 0W20 oil for Delorean.
But I am just telling I am using and My D is still running.

Blacknight

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 15:52:38 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: Red Oil Herring (B27 vs B28)

The PRV's external design specs changed very little but the internals,
with respect to the crank changed massively, roughly around the time of
the Z7U Renault 2458cc single turbo unit, of which I have one.
Subsequent Renault units, normally aspirated or forced unduction,
carried this same bottom end and only the pistons were changed. This
helped with the PRV's reputation as a very sturdy engine - The most
desirable still being the 24 valve 3 litre engines which were sold as an
option in the Citroen XM, Peugeot 605 and various big Renaults (eg the
Laguna and Espace) but it's very easy to confuse with the later PSA 3
litre 24v engine which is completely different and 60 degree. The PRV
was around till 1997.

The camshafts very definitely were changed due to high rate of failure
in the Volvo 260's in the late 70's

Martin

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 14:35:46 -0000
From: "media1524" <brentlun_at_dml_netrax.net>
Subject: Re: Radiator mounting differences in 83 models?

I had one of these radiators installed in VIN #17006 earlier this
year.  The only problem the mechanic had was that the upper and lower
mounting brackets had to be replaced.  Other than that, it was a drop-
in replacement.

Brent Lundgren
VIN #17006 Canadian 1983 model

PS:  My grille screen is a much smaller diamond shaped mesh.  I saw
several different patterns on cars at last year's Fall Foliage Tour
IV.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Scott McMullan" <mcmullas_at_dml_b...>
wrote:

> I'm having my original radiator and fans replaced with the 3-core
radiator
> and quiet fans from John Hervey (can't wait to NOT hear my fans!).
>
> The shop that's doing the work for me has encountered some
difficulty
> getting the new assembly to mount properly.  It was my
understanding that

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 08:19:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Update on leak.

I seem to have cured the water leak on the passenger side of the car. Here's what I did;

1) Thoroughly cleaned the front channel from the roof down with a bottle brush and soap and water.
2) Pulled up the inner weather strip and shot a bead of caulk all along it and pressed it back in place.
3) Shot caulk into everything that looked like a seam.
4) Removed the screws that hold the wiper "grill" and shot caulk into the holes and replaced the screws.

The caulk I used was Dap Dynaflex 230. The reason I used this is that it's clear and can be cleaned up with water. Just use a damp towel to clean off the excess and after it drys you can't see it. This stuff is supposed to be good for 50 years.  I hate the look left by the black silicone.

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:42:16 -0500
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Thomas Patschka - VIN 10004

Tried to call you and sent an email that came back undeliverable. Are you
still around on the DML? If so, please give me a call!

Thanks...

James

------------------------------------
DeLorean Motor Company
Vice President
james_at_dml_delorean.com
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA
tel: 800/872-3621
tel2:281/441-2537
fax: 281/441-2813

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 15:37:58 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

Scott, the only reason I was asking is because there shouldn't be any
mounting issuses.  The only probelm that I have had with these new
radiators is that they are a little thicker than the OEM's and the
upper and lower hoses/pipes have to be pushed back a little to get
them to fit.

Other than that, all of the holes lines up and the radiator fits in
there just fine.  It might be a P.O. mod which is dreadful to think
about.

Johnny
5518

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 15:42:01 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean RV ???

I can say that the transmission for the DeLorean was designed for an
RV, (trivia from the DeLorean Motor Center), but this is a new one to
me.

Maybe it belonged to someone named DeLorean and they put their name
on it?

Johnny
5518

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:00:03 -0000
From: "Mike" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Windscreen Trim Removal.....Advice Please....:)

Hi

I will be shortly getting the three number exteral black trim pieces
to the windscreen re powder coated.... However how do these actually
fix to the the car?... the trim internally down each side of the
window which i assume i have to remove ...how does this come off also!

Many Thanks for any assisitance

Mike

bozzzy
doc403
yorkshire, UK

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 15:48:52 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

I've installed at least two of Toby's 3-core radiators - no issues
with them fitting at all. I've looked at plenty of cars and have
never noticed a difference between the 83s and anything else in that
area. I had heard the discussions over the years about the
aftermarket units not being a proper fit, while they are a tad
thicker I've not seen this be a problem.

The biggest problem with the job is breaking all the little studs
off, especially the ones that hold the evaporator to the radiator.
I've gotten pretty good a removing the brackets, having a new bolt
welded in, and re-riveting the brackets to the evap. There are also
some no-so elegant shortcuts that you can do, but they will make the
next mechanic to work on it hate you.

Dave S

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:58:01 -0000
From: "painterdave72" <painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_w...> w

Hey there i powdercoat and i use eastwoods basic kit.. have had it for years
and it works pretty well.. i have done all my wheels and suspension parts and
some engine parts... I use  an oven and also an infrared lamp works pretty
well..Dave.

rote:

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:04:36 -0000
From: "secret_jedi_guy" <secret_jedi_guy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: A new set of keys

I just recently bought an '81 DeLorean in August.  Unfortunately I
only have one set of keys.  The original door key, and a copy of the
ignition key, and both are really starting to wear out.  I can't get
any hardware store to make me a copy because they don't carry car
key blanks anymore due to the fact that new cars have chips in their
keys so you have to go to the dealership.  I was wondering if anyone
here knows where I can get my DMC rekeyed.

Happy motoring everybody, VIN #01223

Japheth Deaux

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 08:51:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: DMC in Wall St Journal

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/0,,SB109537015239220114,00.html?mod=todays_free_feature

Search for "DeLorean New York" at
http://news.google.com and you don't have to
subscribe.

<SNIP>

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 17:31:03 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>
Subject: Re: Brake light 3rd

Chris,

Is this it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=1943454550&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

(eBay item #1943454550 if the URL doesn't work)

Looks like it. And only $50, with 86 available. If this is the right
light, I'm going to buy one today. That's cheap for such a nice
looking light, assuming it's the same one.

-Ryan

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> I really don't remember but would guess '95 or '96. I think they
used the same one for a number of years.

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:22:25 -0000
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

The fuel system work came out complete, and running well (not perfect)
when I got the car. Pump, accumulator, million different things were
replaced and the car made its trip to NY from the previous owners in
NC for me to take ownership (in '01? I don't even remember now). It
was very obvious that the car sat a very long time, there was marks on
the tires from where it sank down into the ground after years, tires
were dry rot, frame was totally shot, interior burned, steering shot,
a few blown out shocks, and etc. Body was
excellent though, with only a minor dent which is now long gone. But
now since the car has switched owners to me (you probably saw it on
Ebay, which ended with no buyers, and the owners weren't mechanically
inclined enough to bring such a car to good shape)... she has been
saved and is in perfectly good health! As for the oil, I had the
engine taken out in Feb so I could rebuild the frame. The engine was
put back in sometime in March, early April and I filled it wil 10W30
as usual. I know it wasn't gear oil, plus the gear oil I buy comes in
those round container that has a tip at the end so you can pour it in
small holes such as the plug for the transmission. There was no
Marvel, or flush, no other additives, so thats why I am a little
baffled to why the color was maroonish. If it was that easy, I would
have put this puzzle together already, perhaps something was wrong
with my particular case of oil? Dani B #5003

.

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:52:12 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: A new set of keys

Go to a locksmith and he has the keys you need or just by some from
EBay or one of the many Delorean vendors.

Mark V