From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2243
Date: Thursday, September 23, 2004 4:57 AM

From: "smileksr" <michaelbarth_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "trekkerlb_at_dml_netzero.com" <TrekkerLB_at_dml_Netzero.Com>

From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

From: "trekkerlb_at_dml_netzero.com" <TrekkerLB_at_dml_Netzero.Com>

From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

From: "bkp944" <bk_pollard_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

From: "ashtonorlan" <ashtonorlan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: DeLorean RV ???
From: Jon Heese <heese_at_dml_digi-net.com>

10. RE: DeLorean RV ???
From: "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_forwardlook.net>

11. Re: Red Oil Herring (B27 vs B28)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

12. Re: Burned engine oil
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

13. Delorean hard to keep running when engine is cold
From: "cambpd" <cambpd_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Brake light 3rd
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. New Buyer Checklist
From: "Namlemez" <thecal_at_dml_optonline.net>

16. Re: A new set of keys
From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. DMC Maitenence Continued.....
From: "dmc4matt" <dmc4matt_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 18:54:44 -0000
From: "smileksr" <michaelbarth_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Mode Switch

Does anyone know where I can buy the improved Mode Switch that runs
the AC Compressor when it's switched to Defrost?  The original
doesn't run the AC in defrost mode, and as a result it's a bad design.

#6538...I think?
michaelbarth_at_dml_hotmail.com

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 19:11:18 GMT
From: "trekkerlb_at_dml_netzero.com" <TrekkerLB_at_dml_Netzero.Com>
Subject: Re: A new set of keys

I found a local (Nutley NJ) locksmith that was able to cut a door key for me.  I've been trying to get the ignition key made up, but have not had luck yet - I lost my only one and have to pull the cylinder!

He charged me $5 for the door key.

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 14:22:45 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

I have key blanks on the web site for $1.00 ea. Or if you can find them
local it's an X29.
John Hervey
 http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/key-blanks-x29.jpg

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 19:14:42 GMT
From: "trekkerlb_at_dml_netzero.com" <TrekkerLB_at_dml_Netzero.Com>
Subject: Re: Powder Coating Kits

Would it be possible to get some pics of your wheels?  I too was thinking of getting a power coating kit, and would love to see how they look.  What specific color did you order?

Thanks!
Luis

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 11:49:24 -0700
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>
Subject: Re: Brake light 3rd

Thats the same one that I used on my car. It works great! To mount it I
did have to take my Dremel and cut a slot in it for the wire and trim
down the posts that the screws go through but that took about 2
minutes. I mounted mine with black RTV silicon so if I ever needed to
take it off it wouldn't be to hard to do.
Phil Priestley

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 19:22:28 -0000
From: "bkp944" <bk_pollard_at_dml_hotmail.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_r...> wrote:
> Chris,
>
> Is this it?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
ViewItem&rd=1&item=1943454550&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

> (eBay item #1943454550 if the URL doesn't work)

Ryan,

I'll answer for Chris on this one. This is the same eBay seller I
purchased mine from. Transaction was smooth and without any issues.

Have Fun!

-Brian
VIN# 4494

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 14:26:32 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: DeLorean RV ???

Vixen Motor home. Uses the same clutch slave and transmission kit as I I
would think it's the same 4141 standard trans as used in the Delorean. Which
came first I don't know.

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 19:55:08 -0000
From: "ashtonorlan" <ashtonorlan_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Impulse Coil Problems.

I was driving my D down the freeway, when suddenly the rpm's started
to flutter and I began to coast to a stop. I have pin-pointed the
problem to the pulse coil.If anyone has any other ideas, or if there
is anyone that lives in the Minneapolis/st.pail area of MN, and
wants to have some delorean dis. cap removal fun. (im kinda engine
savvy) let me know.

Brian Dickson
AshtonOrlan_at_dml_yahoo.com

P.S are there any Delorean clubs in MN?

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:04:12 -0400
From: Jon Heese <heese_at_dml_digi-net.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean RV ???

If I had to guess, I'd say he was probably referring to
the DMC conversion van company:

http://www.dmcvans.com/vanscover.html

 - Jon Heese

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:45:45 -0400
From: "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_forwardlook.net>

I believe he is talking about a 'Vixen' (and not my Vixen heheh).

There is a slight DMC connection through Robert Dewey & Bill Collins.  Dewey
joined DeLorean Motor Co. in 1976 as CFO. He later was a co-founder of Vixen
Motor Co., which produced motor homes in Pontiac, Mich., from 1986 to 1988.
Collins was instrumental in DMC engineering and styling.

I believe that they also used a rear mounted PRV6 at first, then switched to
some BMW turbo diesel later.

You can see a picture at http://users.iglide.net/gday/Vixen.jpg .  They were
designed to fit in the average home garage.

Here's more info:
http://www.vixenrv.org/
http://vixenrv.org/vixen/THE%20HISTORY%20OF%20THE%20VIXEN%20MOTOR%20HOME%206
-8-04.pdf
http://groups.msn.com/VIXENRVs

And some for sale listings:
http://www.motorhomesonsale.com/lmanager/listings/l0119.html
http://vixenrv.org/vixen/forsale.html
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50058&item
=2489873866
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50058&item
=2489538253

-Dave
VIN #05927
www.projectvixen.com

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 20:49:29 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Red Oil Herring (B27 vs B28)

No one's disputing massive changes in the ~1987 redesign. My complaint
is reports in DeLo community of massive changes circa 1980. Is the
only place I've ever seen such.

What is your source of 1970's camshaft changes? Volvo factory
literature is totally mum. Volvo newsgroups are mum (example:
http://www.swedishbricks.com/faq/engpvr6.html. Business about "face
only" hardening is silly -- all production camshafts of that era,
including American domestics, are made in layers. Only the lifter face
is steel. Inner metal is gold in color (brass?)). My version of Darren
Bowker (German PRV mechanic in Columbia SC) claims B27 and B28 are
internally identical except for certain component *SIZES* (material
composition was not only unchanged, but used simultaneously between
Renault 2.7 and Volvo 2.8). The only Volvo Service Bulletin Re:
camshaft issues is the late 1984 change in oil spec
(http://www.alldata.com/TSB/64/79643149.html. My 1985 B28F manual has
what I believe is this bulletin as a supplement -- I'll get it scanned
and upload to #5939's photo album).

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 20:40:33 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Burned engine oil

Was the engine rebuilt, or partially reassembled at any time in the
past? Even something modest, like removal of the cams, or valves, or
something else? The reason I ask, is because if someone took the time
to do this work, and they did it right, they would have used assembly
lube. Thick like grease, and usually bright red in color, and would
have mixed in with your oil.

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 22:06:32 -0000
From: "cambpd" <cambpd_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Delorean hard to keep running when engine is cold

Hi, does anyone have a tech tip on what my son and I can do too fix
the cold starting problem my Delorean has?

When the engine is cold and we start it up it runs fast for about 2
seconds, like it should when cold, and then it chokes and cuts off. I
try to start it again and does about the same or worse. After 5 or 6
trys and with playing with the gas pedal it will start and stay
running (probably because it has warmed up enough.)

Any advice will be much appreciated!

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 15:33:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Ryan....It sure looks like it. There's a tit on each end that you need to cut off if you don't want to drill holes in the louvers. Then clean the area where you are going to mount it and use peel and stick velcro. Works well and is invisible, removeable.

Chris

ryanpwright <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com> wrote:
Chris,

Is this it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=1943454550&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

(eBay item #1943454550 if the URL doesn't work)

Looks like it. And only $50, with 86 available. If this is the right
light, I'm going to buy one today. That's cheap for such a nice
looking light, assuming it's the same one.

-Ryan

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Chris Shepherd wrote:
> I really don't remember but would guess '95 or '96. I think they
used the same one for a number of years.

Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 00:16:06 -0000
From: "Namlemez" <thecal_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: New Buyer Checklist

Hi all,

I've been a near Delorean owner for around 6 years now and am looking
into one right now.  I've read over a lot of the websites I could find
for typical things to check for and was wondering if anyone had some
other ideas:

-Leaking fluid around clutch
-Door lifts on its own power
-Headliners sagging
-Rust on body panels.

One thing I don't really know how to diagnose is possible frame rust.
 I couldn't get my head under for a good luck but took a picture with
a flash and definitely see one of the beams has a reddish coat to it,
though I didn't really take many pictures.

Any other tips?  Thanks in advance :)

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 18:51:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

If you can find the code above your door headliner you
can get a "brand new" key, no wear, not tracer cut.
The problem is that the two-key cars don't seem to
have both keys recorded.
Pull the headliners in your door, and look for a
WR5xxx number-- that is your door code. A K7xxx
through K9xxx will be your ignition. It usually ends
with an "X" too but that letter doesn't matter.

Anyway, get that code and go to any locksmith. Or
better, call DMCH and get their replica key blank.
They are much better quality than your Ilco, Jets, or
Curtis brand bland blank. I'm all out of Ilco's... I
need to order some more, because I can cut them for
you too. Let me know if I can be of any service.

Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 02:44:31 -0000
From: "dmc4matt" <dmc4matt_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DMC Maitenence Continued.....

Hey Guys,

If you remember, I posted awhile ago about the subject of DMC
Maitenence.

Here was my original Post:

Just bought a DeLorean a few weeks ago. It's an 81 Automatic, dark
grey interior, with 28K on it. I've always wanted one and thought
they are just the neatest looking cars. It runs and drives very well.
The previous owner (I'm guessing) didn't put in any of the updates
because everything looks original. I had the common (I think) hot
start problem. Everything i've read said the most common thing to fix
it is the fuel accumulator. I replaced that first, hoping it would
solve the problem. Well, it didn't, so I then tried the check valve O-
Rings. It was missing the O-Ring on the piston, so i thought that
would solve my problem. I put the new rings in, and started it up. I
let it get warm, and shut it off. I let it sit for ten minutes, and
it fired right back up. I then did the same thing, letting it sit for
fifteen minutes. It fired back up. I took it down the street to put
gas in, and it wouldn't start again. I had to call a flatbed tow
truck to tow it two miles down the road :(  Since I live quite a bit
away from and of the DMC Service Centers, I called a local Volvo
service center. The owner, of course, knew that thew DeLoreans used
the same Bosch K Jetronic fuel system as a Volvo. They took the car
in, and started to check it out. His first thought was that it was
the fuel pump, but as he looked more into it, he thinks it may be the
fuel relay, because he says it smells burned. So that is where I am
with it.

My question: Has anyone had a similar problem like myself?

The Volvo place just called me today. They think it is that only one
of the six fuel injectors is spraying like it should, and the other
five are dripping and not functioning right. They were getting the
parts in this afternoon, and hope to install them tomorrow morning.
Do you guys think this should solve my problem, or have they not come
across anything likely to cause it?

Thanks Everyone!