From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2247
Date: Sunday, September 26, 2004 4:24 AM

1. Re: Thermostat Cover leak ... Thoughts please ...
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

2. Re: Thermostat Cover leak ... Thoughts please ...
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

3. RE: Thermostat Cover leak ... Thoughts please ...
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

4. Re: Thermostat Cover leak ... Thoughts please ...
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

5. DML message archive
From: "David Hopfmueller" <david.hopfmueller_at_dml_gmx.at>

6. 4th anniversary
From: Jan van de Wouw <delorean_at_dml_home.nl>

7. Re: Frame restoration..
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

8. exhaust system
From: "andy" <andydandy777_at_dml_aol.com>

9. Re: Sudden acceleration syndrome!
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

10. RE: Re: Thermostat Cover leak ... Thoughts please ...
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>

11. Leaking water pump - when cold
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

12. Re: Sudden acceleration syndrome!
From: chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com

13. Re: exhaust system
From: "joekuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

14. problems with removing rubber fuel lines
From: "westleymills2003" <westleymills2003_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

15. RE: Leaking water pump - when cold
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>

16. Re: exhaust system
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: Leaking water pump - when cold
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

18. Passenger Door Lights stopped working
From: "secret_jedi_guy" <secret_jedi_guy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: Passenger Door Lights stopped working
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

20. Vinyl seat covers
From: "painterdave72" <painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: exhaust system
From: "painterdave72" <painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Frame Swap Photos
From: "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_cox.net>

23. Brake light trouble
From: "secret_jedi_guy" <secret_jedi_guy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. Re: Brake light trouble
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 04:44:41 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com
Subject: Re: Thermostat Cover leak ... Thoughts please ...

Nick - The basic recommendation would be to obtain a new seal ring
that fits well and is fresh.  The seals that we have fit well in the
housing, and we have never had one leak, to the best of my
knowledge.  Perhaps the thermostat that you used had a defective or
incorrect seal ring?  There should be good compression on the seal
ring when the cover is tightened down.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_b...> wrote:
> I found the leak (Trying to be optimistic that there is only
one).  It is leaking between the thermostat cover and base.  The
gasket is installed first and then the thermostat in the correct
orientation.  The thermostat and gasket/ring was replaced a couple
years ago and the gasket appears OK. The gasket sits a little loose
in the hole and has done so since day 1.

Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 06:18:42 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

That might just be your problem right there. The Thermostat gasket is supposed to wrap
around the thermostat lip. It allows the thermostat to fully seal it, as it is sandwiched
between the pump, and the housing.

I screwed this up the first time I installed my water pump, but was able to catch it right
away when I did my pressure test.

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 22:30:38 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Nick, A small amount of silicone wouldn't hurt around the gasket and in the
grove where the o ring sits.

Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 04:22:02 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Thermostat fits inside the gasket, not on top of it (there's a groove
around the inner face).

Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 12:05:02 +0200
From: "David Hopfmueller" <david.hopfmueller_at_dml_gmx.at>
Subject: DML message archive

Hi all,

I'm looking for the messages of the DML from the start until 4/24/2004 in
some Outlook-readable format (best would be a .pst-file) which would be much
easier to read and search than on Yahoo. I already asked the moderators but
they only have them archived as digests. So if anyone on the list has kept
them and is willing to share them please contact me off the list at
david.hopfmueller[at]gmx.at Thanks in advance and greetings from
Austria/Europe!

David

Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 13:23:46 +0200
From: Jan van de Wouw <delorean_at_dml_home.nl>
Subject: 4th anniversary

Hi,

I've got nothing much to report, except for the fact that
4 years ago today I became the lucky owner of my DeLorean.

Luckily I've had more ups than downs with the car so far,
let's hope I can enjoy it for many years to come...

The support and friendly banter on this group was and
is one of the things that made me decide to actually
buy one, so a big thanks to all of you...

JAN van de Wouw

Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...
Shifting Expectations...   Driving a Nissan...

DMC-12 "Dagger" since Sep. 2000
100NX "Saphire" since Nov. 2002
-------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 04:54:28 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com
Subject: Re: Frame restoration..

Nick - If you can see some of the epoxy coating lifting away from
the frame, all corrosion protection in that area has been lost.  It
is rust and corrosion in the "hidden areas" that will eventually get
you.  The loose areas of epoxy should be removed, and some form of
protective coating applied to ensure that you don't get "cancer"
from the backside of your beautiful powder-coated frame.  Just look
at the pictures from the recent frame-off that was done in the
midwest ... that should make a believer out of anybody.  The people
who did the frame work for you should have the proper tools and
techniques to access and protect these areas.  Because they
are "hidden areas", the protection doesn't have to be pretty, just
good.

Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 10:57:08 -0000
From: "andy" <andydandy777_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: exhaust system

In 1982 I had a local shop make me some custom headers for my car
and replaced the standard exhaust. This gained me a fair amount of
horsepower and it gave the Delorean a true sport car sound. My
problem is I had them made of mild steel, never dreaming I would own
this car as long as I have. Does anyone make stainless steel headers
for the Delorean? I am going to replace my rusting system with
stainless and I was wondering if there is someplace to buy a
performance exhaust system and if so where. If not I will just go
back to the people who built the first one and have them redo it in
stainless.
Andy  B 03513

Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 04:42:20 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Sudden acceleration syndrome!

Actually this WON'T help if your idle speed motor sticks closed. That
happened to me at a stop light once. Engine can not breathe through
PCV alone, and it will die. I was able to limp home by cracking the
throttle plates with the accelerator pedal. Learned how to manually
idle the engine immediately thereafter (in fact I jetisoned CIS
altogether thereafter rather than spend hundreds of dollars on it).
This occurred on my previous engine, which was fuel injected almost
indentically to a DeLo unit.

You are correct about "high tech" items failing with age. I also
collect 30 year old Lincolns, and many of their convenience items no
longer function as they did from the factory (automatic headlight
dimmers, miles to empty computers, etc). Fortunately such systems can
be bypassed, returning the cars to a simpler -- and more reliable --
state. I fully concur that DeLoreans will suffer a similar fate (they
already are with craig radio displays, courtesy light delay modules, etc).

>--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> IF this happens to you (see previous posts) the first thing to do is
disconnect your Idle Speed ECU. The engine will idle differently, mine
was a little higher, but it will run. And it will run without the
engine accelerating on its' own. This is NOT a long term solution only
an emergency operating procedure. It should get you home. I think
we're going to see more of these go as the cars age.

> By the way, if this doesn't stop the problem then you've probably
got a loose connection somewhere or a vacuum leak. Do the ECU
disconnect first as it is the easiest check. The others are a time
consuming hunt.

Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 08:22:48 -0500
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>
Subject: RE: Re: Thermostat Cover leak ... Thoughts please ...

>From what you've all said, I think this car has the wrong gasket!  This
"splains" a lot of problems.

Thanks and I'll keep you updated.

Nick

Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 15:34:41 +0200
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>
Subject: Leaking water pump - when cold

Hello all

All this talk about leaking water pumps and thermostats reminded me of my problem. Maybe someone had a similar occurence and can give me some advice.
The problem that I'm having with my car is that it leaks coolant somewhere at the water pump but only when the engine is cold and the temperature drops below 50 degrees. I don't know where the leak is, it appears to be somewhere behind the pump. I have replaced all the hoses recently and they are all tight. There is no leak when the temperature is higher than 50 or when the engine is warm. It holds pressure, no coolant loss. When it gets cold the leak is pretty large and leaves a puddle under the car......
Any ideas?

Tom Niemczewski
tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl

Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 15:18:20 -0000
From: chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com

I didn't say this was the only thing that could cause this. It is,
by far, the easiest thing to do as a check while you're on the road.
Pull two plugs on the Idle Speed ECU to see if that's the problem.

An engine dying is not "sudden acceleration syndrome".

Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 15:25:45 -0000
From: "joekuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: exhaust system

Take a look at http://www.stainless-exhaust.com/discuss.htm

Appears to be a nice system. My son was considering this at one time
for his car, but decided on another performance route. I bet this
sytem sounds quite nice, as this shop also makes systems for Ferraris
and they always sound great. They will make the muffler to match your
desire for quiet, medium, and really loud.

The drawback for a U.S. owner is the cost. The unfavorable exchange
rate aggravates that even more. There will also be a many week delay
while they make a system for you. They have sold a few of these in
the U.S. but not too many, so you'd definitely have something rare on
this side of the pond.

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 18:56:52 -0000
From: "westleymills2003" <westleymills2003_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: problems with removing rubber fuel lines

hi all i removed my fuel pump and the syphned the fuel out it went a
breeze the tank looked like new inside with no gunk at all. The
rubber boot looks good too, but just at the edge below the clip it
has gone abit sticky although the rest of it looks as it theres a few
years left in it,the fuel lines look a bit dodgy thoe
my problem is when i tried to remove the rubber fuel lines
from the steel pipes off of the chassis,i un did the nut no probs but
now cant pull the connector{2} from the fuel tube{number 6 in manual}
it seems stuck or does it come apart some other way,i dont want to
force it as i think if the pipe breaks to replace it looks as if the
body would have to be removed to put a new one in.has anyone hand any
experience in doing this,

thanks westley

Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 14:21:25 -0500
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>
Subject: RE: Leaking water pump - when cold

Tom,

If you've not tried one yet, get a pressure tester.  It is pointing me in
the right direction.  At first I could only hear hissing.  I added water and
the leak showed up.  Now I'm hoping it is only one leak.

Nick

Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 12:58:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

if the rust is not too bad, clean them up and have
them ceramic coated..  Much cheaper than stainless,
and the ceramic helps contain the heat.

Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 20:31:25 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Look for "stant pressure tester" on ebay. They go pretty cheap and
are a great tool just to have for this car.

Dave S

Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 21:29:09 -0000
From: "secret_jedi_guy" <secret_jedi_guy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Passenger Door Lights stopped working

Thanks everybody who helped with my key problem.  Now I have another
one.  The passenger door lights suddenly stopped working on me, but
the driver door lights still work just fine.  I've checked the bulbs
and those are fine.  Any help in this area would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks again everyone VIN: 01223

Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 16:39:25 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Passenger Door Lights stopped working

Check the passenger door switch and see if the wires are plugged into
it.

Mark V

Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 22:45:46 -0000
From: "painterdave72" <painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Vinyl seat covers

Does anyone out there know of anyone who would be interested in
purchaseing a pair of vinyl seats for there Delorean?? These are really nicely
done and are a cheaper alternative to the leather ones. They are in really
good shape still and i would give them about an 8.5 out of 10 for the minor
tear in the bottom seat cover.. It has been vinyl repaired but u can still see the
repair slighly it is like one half inch long..other than that these are really nice
seat covers... Let me know Dave..

Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 22:48:15 -0000
From: "painterdave72" <painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com>

---I have an incredibly nice stainless header and exhaust set which i had
ordered from a place in england.. if u like i can give u there address.. just
email me at painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com  Dave.

Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 20:29:01 -0400
From: "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Frame Swap Photos

Thought I would post the links to a few photos from Josh's tech session a few weeks back where he undertook the project of swapping out the frame on my rusted out car.  They're pretty much a synopsis of the progress that was made over the weekend and if you look closely you can see the massive rust damage to the rear of the frame as well as the front where the passenger side lower control arm gave way:
http://members.cox.net/luckeys71/0%20081.jpg
http://members.cox.net/luckeys71/0%20084.jpg
http://members.cox.net/luckeys71/0%20087.jpg
http://members.cox.net/luckeys71/0%20088.jpg
http://members.cox.net/luckeys71/0%20089.jpg
http://members.cox.net/luckeys71/0%20090.jpg
http://members.cox.net/luckeys71/0%20091.jpg
http://members.cox.net/luckeys71/0%20092.jpg
http://members.cox.net/luckeys71/0%20095.jpg
http://members.cox.net/luckeys71/0%20096.jpg
On an interesting side note I was watching the Rocky marathon on A&E today and Rocky 3 features a glimpse of a print ad featuring Rocky advertising a DeLorean in the opening segment while "Eye Of The Tiger" by Survivor is playing.
I never noticed that before!

Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 01:46:16 -0000
From: "secret_jedi_guy" <secret_jedi_guy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Brake light trouble

Once again with the lights.  I've been having some wierd electrical
trouble lately.  Anyway I got my door lights to work, but now while
I was changing a brake light on the left side the brake lights
stopped working.  Just the brake lights.  The flasher, backub, and
middle lights work fine; the two brake lights on either side of the
middle light just don't want to work.  Has anyone here had a similar
problem before?  This is totally wierd because I know that all of
the lights work and that the circuit board is getting power, no
matter what the brake lights just don't want to work.  Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the patience VIN: 01223

Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 03:04:55 -0000
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Brake light trouble

Stick your head under by the pedals.  Look up.  You should see a plastic/nylon fuse holder
holding a glass fuse near to the lambda counter.  It should have a green wire in one end
and a brown wire in the other.  You have to twist the holder to get it apart.  That fuse may
be blown.  If not, check the switch that the brake pedal uses.  Make sure the wires are
connected to the switch.  Check the fuses in the fuse box and make sure that brake light
fuse is working as well(if you have one back there).

Patrick