From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2248
Date: Monday, September 27, 2004 4:41 AM

1. Discovered problem with brake lights
From: "secret_jedi_guy" <secret_jedi_guy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Frame Swap Photos
From: Warren Turkal <wt_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

3. Transmission/differential lip seal
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

4. Brake Light Trouble 2
From: "secret_jedi_guy" <secret_jedi_guy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Mid-Atlantic Club Fall Tour 5 - Itinerary is now set and online
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

6. Re: Brake Light Trouble 2
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

7. carpet
From: "painterdave72" <painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Transmission seal- FIXED
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

9. Re: carpet
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

10. Carfax check
From: "Matthew P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

11. Transmission Quetion
From: steve trimble <stevetrimble52_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Transmission Quetion
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

13. Re: Transmission Quetion
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

14. Delorean Fall Foliage Tour V
From: "turbodmc3113" <turbodmc_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. Re: Frame Swap Photos
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

16. Re: Frame Swap Photos
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

17. Wanted
From: "baseball8819" <baseball8819_at_dml_netscape.net>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 16:14:30 -0000
From: "secret_jedi_guy" <secret_jedi_guy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Discovered problem with brake lights

I found the problem with my brake lights and why it was only on the
left side.  The metal lead for the brake lights on the taillamp
circuit board where the electrical plugs in was completely stripped
down to the just the board itself.  The problem is there was no
connection to the brake lights at all, but there was a connection to
all the other lights on the board.  Unfortunately in diagnosing this
problem I did in fact blow the brake light fuse.  But thanks for all
your help.

VIN: 01223

Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 02:57:09 -0500
From: Warren Turkal <wt_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Frame Swap Photos

On Saturday 25 September 2004 07:29 pm, Michael & Denise wrote:
> Thought I would post the links to a few photos from Josh's tech session a
> few weeks back where he undertook the project of swapping out the frame on
> my rusted out car.  They're pretty much a synopsis of the progress that was
> made over the weekend and if you look closely you can see the massive rust
> damage to the rear of the frame as well as the front where the passenger
> side lower control arm gave way:

What was the method used to actually clear the body of the frame during the
separation? I only the the body sitting on jack stands. I don't see how you
could have cleared the frame with only the jack stands. I don't own one yet.
I am just curious.

wt
--
Warren Turkal
President, GOLUM, Inc. 501(c)3

Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 14:42:23 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Transmission/differential lip seal

Has anyone here replaced the axle seal on the driver's side?

I'm having difficulty extracting mine. The manual says to remove the
giant pre-load adjusting nut but I've been told that it's not
necessary, and could cause bad problems once it's moved.

The parts manual makes it look as if the seal is behind the adjusting
nut and can't come out without removing the nut. I'm not sure what I'm
looking at.

Where's the best place to grab the seal and pull?

Thanks,

Rich A.

Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 05:15:30 -0000
From: "secret_jedi_guy" <secret_jedi_guy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Brake Light Trouble 2

Well I don't know about a fuse being blown because the brake lights
on the right hand side work just fine, and up until I changed the
brake light next to the backup light on the board, the brake light
next to the flasher worked fine.  Now it is just the brake lights on
the the left that don't work.  I know this is totally wierd and
frustrating trying to pinpoint the source of the problem.  Anyway I'm
still open to suggestions.

VIN: 01223

Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 11:46:41 -0400
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: Mid-Atlantic Club Fall Tour 5 - Itinerary is now set and online

The Mid-Atlantic Club officers have been working hard to finalize the
Fall Tour 5 Itinerary for this years event, and we have it all set!

You can now view information about the event, and download the itinerary
and registration on our club website.

Use this link for all the latest and greatest news on this HUGE event!
http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/events/falltour5.htm

Hope to see you all there!

Kevin Abato
Vin# 16680

Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 19:06:48 -0000
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Brake Light Trouble 2

My mistake, I misread your original post.  It won't be the fuse then if some of the lights
work.  It wouldn't hurt to go back and clean all of the connections back there again.  Also,
if you have the original boards, you can always do the radio shack trick by installing the
screws to boost conductivity.  I used to have flaky tail lights until I did this trick.
Beforehand, banging one of the tail light lenses with my fist used to fix the problem
temporarily.  Try that, see if it works.

Patrick

Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 19:52:16 -0000
From: "painterdave72" <painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: carpet

Does anyone out there know where i can get a new piece of right hand sill
carpeting for grey interior cars?? it is not available thru any vendors and i
have all new carpeting in my car cept for that one piece.. what do u alll do if u
need it?? thanks.. Dave.

Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 20:29:39 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Transmission seal- FIXED

I've got to learn to stop "panic posting". My biggest problem was
that I couldn't see where the seal met the transmission casing due to
the amount of fluid and road grit covering everything. Eventually I
was able to clean up enough of the mess to see where to pry out the
old seal. It certainly is a tight fit.

Unfortunately I'll pay the price for all of this. A neighbor that I
haven't spoken to for the 3 years I've lived here ran out of her
house literally screaming profanities at me and that she hopes the
car falls and crushes my head. I expect a fine from the condo
association any day now.

Back to the seal: It's an easy job and as I was told by PJ Grady, you
do not and SHOULD not remove the large castellated nut on the
driver's side. It sets the pre-load on the differential and word is
that you invite trouble by tampering with it.

Thanks to all,

Rich

Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 18:09:57 -0400
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: carpet

Dear Dave,

I go to the local upholstery shop and have the guy make it.  It is
inexpensive and a perfect match.

that's what I did.

Joseph molino

Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 17:20:16 -0700
From: "Matthew P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>
Subject: Carfax check

Hey everyone,
        I am thinking about buying a well-used car and I suspect something
isn't right.  I was going to run the VIN through carfax but my account
expired.  Does anyone have an active account that would be willing to run
the VIN for me?

Thanks,
Matthew

Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 17:58:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: steve trimble <stevetrimble52_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Transmission Quetion

I have been having sporadic difficulties getting into
second gear. When you shift it feels like it is in
second but really isn't. Normally I can go to third
and get by and then the next time I shift it usually
goes into second fine. It may miss second only once or
twice in a days driving. I don't want to start
adjusting cables without some ideal of what is causing
this problem.
I have driven this little car regularly for over a
year now and after we got all the initial upgrades and
prob;ems fixed it gas been a sweet little ride. I took
a Corvette fan  for a ride yesterday and by the time
we got back he was convinced it rode better than any
vintage vette.

Thanks,
Steve T.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 01:23:10 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Transmission Quetion

Probably the infamous broken roll pin.

There really isn't an adjustment that will compansate for this, there
is a roll pin on one of the shifter shafts that pushes the fork that
pushes the gear. Sometimes (usually due to the original poor clutch
hydraulic line) it get sheared off from trying to get the trans in
gear without the clutch fully dis-engaged.

It costs all of about 35 cents but is located deep inside the
transmission. A good thing to fix when you get around to replacing
the clutch.

Dave S

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, steve trimble <stevetrimble52_at_dml_y...>

Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 01:25:22 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

Steve - Just a quick thought here ... you may want to check the
rubber bushings that are part of the shift tube, where the tube
connects to the linkage going into the transmission housing.  There
is a tube and a cable.  The tube takes care of fore and aft duties,
while the cable does the lateral movements.  We have seen worn or
missing bushings in the shift tube cause all manner of poor shifting
symptoms.  Replacing the bushings has solved problems for several
people in the PNDC.  Then again, it could be a problematic second
gear syncro ($$$).

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 01:33:00 -0000
From: "turbodmc3113" <turbodmc_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Delorean Fall Foliage Tour V

Please make those hotel reservations as soon as possible.
If you are thinking about attending but not sure yet please e-mail me
(include your contact info and if you will have your DeLorean).
I should be able to reserve a few more rooms if necessary  but I need
to hear from you!
E-mail me at falltour5_at_dml_hotmail.com   that's fa
lltour5athotmail.com.

The itinerary and registration form is available on DeLorean Mid
Atlantic web page.
http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/events/falltour5.htm

This is going to be an amazing weekend!
The area we are touring is the gold coast of long island.
I think you are going to feel like you are a European tour with your
DeLorean. I put some additional pictures up (2 pages)at
http://www.falltour.itgo.com/photo2.html
Please take a look and then e-mail me.

Regards,

Michael DeLuca
President DeLorean Mid Atlantic

Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 22:47:51 -0400
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

Hey Warren,

Hehe..."method" isn't really the word for it...

Since we weren't worried about wrecking the frame any more than it
already was, and we had 10 people there, we raised the body up high
enough to pull the frame backwards until the front wheels got close to
the front jack stands.  Then we had 2 people stationed to pull out and
replace the jackstands while another 4 people lifted up the front end,
and the last four people dragged the frame back behind the jack points
when we lifted.  We repeated this process to clear the rear jack stands.

Without a lift, this is about all we could do, although I seem to recall
Nick(?) up in New Jersey(?) pulling a frame out all by himself without
the aid of a lift a few years ago.  I forget how he did that one, but I
can tell you it's a lot easier when you're not worried about the frame
getting damaged any further.

-Josh

Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 03:34:47 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Josh -  - how do you plan to get it back together? I assume that you
won't be dragging the new frame across the driveway. . .

Dave

Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 02:35:50 -0000
From: "baseball8819" <baseball8819_at_dml_netscape.net>
Subject: Wanted

Hello,  I am interested in purchasing a low mileage delorean
with the manual. I'm looking to spend around 15,000 or so and
would prefer if it had under 30k miles. Small problems (dings)
with the car are ok, but large things (no engine, stripped interior)
i would rather not bother with. Feel free to contact me my email is
baseball8819_at_dml_gmail.com