From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2252
Date: Thursday, September 30, 2004 5:33 AM

1. Re: LockZILLA with Remote ZILLA kit for sale
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

2. RE: LockZILLA with Remote ZILLA kit for sale
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. Re: Trailing arm bolt question
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

4. California Delorean
From: rick abarca <stangboy70us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. RE: Copyright Photos?
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

6. Re: Copyright Photos?
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

7. Tornado destroys 1983 DeLorean
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

8. Idle problems?
From: chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com

9. RE: LockZILLA with Remote ZILLA kit for sale
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Steering & Electrical questions
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Another DeLorean Lost...
From: "hholtz467" <macg467_at_dml_verizon.net>

12. Re: Copyright Photos?
From: "media1524" <brentlun_at_dml_netrax.net>

13. negative earth
From: "baseball8819" <baseball8819_at_dml_netscape.net>

14. brake upgrades.
From: dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com

15. AW: Re: Frame restoration
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

16. Re: negative earth
From: "Owen _at_dml_ Aerodrome" <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>

17. Re: negative earth
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

18. Re: negative earth
From: "jangwin" <jeff_at_dml_angwin.us>

19. Bad things happen on GOOD days!
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

20. RE: Idle problems?
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

21. Re: Tornado destroys 1983 DeLorean (Pic Uploaded)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

22. Re: LockZILLA with Remote ZILLA kit for sale
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 22:14:03 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: LockZILLA with Remote ZILLA kit for sale

The door closer is called a "hand" it is attached to your arm and it is
readily available and works rather well i must say.

Mark V

Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 22:15:57 -0500
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I have thought about the "door closer" myself, and there is only a few ways
to do it.
One is simular to the way a Bricklin works, but instead of using air shocks
to use actuators.
The downside is that the actuator would need to open the door too and it
would be very
slow, and I bet you would need to redesign or even  remove the way the door
pins
close in order for it to work.
My other idea was a steel cable on a spool that is wound up buy a motor,
that when
actuated would pull the door down real fast and shut it.

So far neither idea is worth doing.

I would like to be able to open the passneger door and then be able to close
when crusing the
strip and showing off.... so far the best idea is tying a rope to the door
handle and giving it
a yank when you need to close the door!

Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 04:17:16 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com
Subject: Re: Trailing arm bolt question

Sean - David T. laid out one option for you.  Another option is
described in the written instructions that came with the TOBY-TAB
kit.  This option involves removing the nut from the LH TAB, and
then removing all of the shims.  You can then spread the joint apart
as far as you can.  Using a hack saw, "saws all", or similar tool
cut the bolt shank as close as possible to the rubber bushing end,
taking care to avoid damaging anything in the general area.  The
soft OEM bolt is relatively easy to cut.  When the cut is complete,
you can then push the bolt head through and remove it.  There is
room to remove the threaded end as well.  To install the TOBY-TAB,
remove the two bolts that attach the rubber bushing retainer plate.
NOTE:  The bolts have jam nuts on them, as well as welded nuts
common to the frame.  Remove the jam nuts before you attempt to
loosen the attachment bolts.  Partially rotate the bushing out of
its place, and insert the TOBY-TAB through the bushing with the
large flat washer in place, bolt head towards the transmission.  Now
you re-attach the bushing retainer (remember the jam nuts), slide
the other flat washer onto the TAB, insert the TAB through the
trailing arm bore, install shims, small flat washers and nut(s).
Snug up the joint a little bit, lower the car down onto the wheel
until suspension is at near normal stance, and torque the head end
of the TAB.  The entire process takes about 20 ~ 30 minutes on the
LH side.  I've used this technique several times now with no
issues.  Dave Jacobs also did a write-up in Gullwing Magazine last
year (?) in which he describes the trailing arm removal method in
detail ... longer task, but doesn't involve a hack saw.  Please feel
free to email me off list if you have any other questions or
concerns.  Thanks.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC

Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 05:15:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: rick abarca <stangboy70us_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: California Delorean

I will be in LA this weekend (Saturday Oct. 2nd) to
take a look at a Delorean for sale.  If there is
anybody out there knowledgeable in the car and that
would be willing to come out and take a look at it
(second opinion) I would appreciate it.  A good lunch
is on me.  Please reply directly to me and let me know your thoughts.
  THanks.

http://vote.yahoo.com

Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 07:01:20 -0700
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>
Subject: RE: Copyright Photos?

One of the photos is the Concours D that Ken recently sold.

Gary
IN2TIME

Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 09:05:18 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 9/28/2004 10:45:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net writes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
>ViewItem&category=4150&item=2272728861&rd=1

I think they look kinda cool and I wrote the guy stating he should have
asked permission.
As I state on my web page to feel free and use the photos as he did, I  would
think he would at least have given credit.

I am not going to complain to e-bay on it. But I did tell him next time to
at least ask since some owners don't want to give up their photos without
permission or compensation.

I also told him that at least three people were going to complain to e-bay.
based on my privat e-mail that is going to be the minimum,

Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 14:22:48 -0000
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Tornado destroys 1983 DeLorean

>From this morning's news...

http://www.fayettevillenc.com/story.php?Template=weather&Story=6592028

Southern Pines, North Carolina

Any know who's car it is ... the story says that Mark Amlot had just
finished restoring it for a friend.

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)

Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 14:52:27 -0000
From: chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: Idle problems?

While on a recent trip of 1700mi my car started surging which I
described as "Sudden acceleration syndrome". The idle would go from
normal, 750rpm, to 2200 or 2600 and as high as 3100rpm. It would
hold at these speeds for varying amounts of time, any where from a
minute or two to half an hour and then drop back to normal for a
brief time.

I called John Hervy from a rest area in southern OR when I was about
300mi into the trip and while I was talking to him it jumped up. I
had the engine compartment open and John could hear it. Out of
frustration I pulled on a couple of vacuum hoses and the idle
dropped back. John explained how a vacuum leak could cause this
problem and I agreed with his assesment. I spent several hours over
the next week checking hoses and replacing any that I thought looked
stiff or had any questions about. None of this cured the problem. I
checked the idle speed motor too. Once when I pulled the plug on it
the idle dropped to normal. I think all of you know how frustrated I
was at this point, especially if you consider yourself to be a
reasonably good mechanic.

It turned out to be a problem with the Idle Speed ECU. I've noticed
some posts dealing with various idle problems lately and equally
varied possible solutions. THE VERY FIRST THING TO DO IS DISCONNECT
BOTH PLUGS TO THE IDLE SPEED ECU AND START THE CAR. If everything
evens out, not necessarily what you are used to but even, then this
is probably the cause. The reason to do this first is because it's
the easiest. If the problem persists then go to the other possible
causes one at a time. Leave the vacuum hoses for last because they
are the most difficult and time consuming.

Many thanks to John Hervy for listening to me and trying to help.
This will be my last post on this.

Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 08:08:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Matt

The easiest(only?) way to get "door closers" is to
trade in your DeLorean for a Bricklin.  Not a great
idea, IMHO.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 15:30:48 -0000
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Steering & Electrical questions

Hi all,
I had been driving my DeLorean around recently and noticed that the
steering seemed way more loose than normal. I let my dad drive it too
and he seemed to think it might be the rack and pinion steering. I'm
pretty sure the tie rods are fine. I know for a fact it needs a brake
pad job b/c it squeeks just a bit and pulls right.
Also, my reverse lights and door lights aren't working for some
reason. I checked all the fuses and actually replaced the entire rear
light boards and bulbs with the really good ones from PJ Grady's.
(Because the old one's had splits down the circuit boards.) However,
a few of my cables' insulation in the rear are getting old and
cracked. Could this be a wiring problem? What are your thoughts?

Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 18:02:41 -0000
From: "hholtz467" <macg467_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Another DeLorean Lost...

As I always do once a week, I did a Google News search
for "DeLorean", and noticed the following article about a tornado:
http://www.fayettevillenc.com/story.php?Template=weather&Story=6592028

I'll quote from the article:
"When she emerged, she saw a tree sticking through her living room.
Her shed had been pushed about four feet off its foundation in the
back yard. Her carport was obliterated.

A 1983 DeLorean in the carport was crushed by a pine tree. Amlot's
father, Mark Amlot, had just finished restoring the car for a friend
and figured it would be well protected under his daughter's carport.

'Hey, at least it didn't get stolen,' Mark Amlot said."

So, if Mr. Amlot is on the list, I'm sorry to hear of your friend's
loss.

-David Heise
No D, yet...hopefully on Feb 11, 2006

Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 16:45:24 -0000
From: "media1524" <brentlun_at_dml_netrax.net>

I just checked e-Bay, the seller has ended this auction.

Brent Lundgren
VIN #17006

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_f...> wrote:
> Thanks for the heads-up!  Man, looks like this guy went through
every major DeLorean website, and snagged as many photos as he could!

Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 20:17:25 -0000
From: "baseball8819" <baseball8819_at_dml_netscape.net>
Subject: negative earth

I noticed by the battery it says that the car is negative earth. What
does that mean and does it affect the driving or car at all?

Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 20:52:15 -0000
From: dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com
Subject: brake upgrades.

Hi,

Is Steve of www.projectdelorean.com the only DeLorean owner to do
serious brake upgrades?

I had my DeLorean on our International racing track Mondello for a TV
documentary the other day, and feel that the brakes are definitely
not suited for track racing, they got very hot very quickly. I'd like
to upgrade to 4 pot calipers on vented disks, but want the whole
package to still fit behind the DMC original wheels. Has anyone else
ever thought of doing something like this?

Steve if you are on this list, you did a great job on your car,
looking forward to seeing more updates!

BTW I was very impressed with the way my car handled on the track -
very controllable to powerslide thru all the corners. I only spun the
car out once at about 50mph when trying to catch the Delorean in
front of me! I think had the car stayed in production and got engine
and brake upgrades, (and a rear sway bar) it would have been a
fantastic track car.

Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 22:40:08 +0200
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: AW: Re: Frame restoration

Also try this stuff - it has won many compettitions between several
rust preventing products. It also runs up-hill as soon as it gets warm.

http://mike.british-cars.de/english.htm

Elvis

Rustoleum "rusty metal primer" (as opposed to their "clean metal primer") is
a fish-oil product. As for running up hill against gravity, I assume what
happens there is it is drawn across the face of the metal by capillary
action.

-Joe

Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 14:53:43 -0700
From: "Owen _at_dml_ Aerodrome" <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>
Subject: Re: negative earth

baseball8819 wrote:
> I noticed by the battery it says that the car is negative earth. What
> does that mean and does it affect the driving or car at all?

It means that the common (or ground or earth) wire that's tied to your frame is negative, not positive.  Virtually every car in the US, if not the world, is wired this way, but perhaps in 1981 it was remarkable.

-Owen

Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 22:04:32 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Years ago, some car manufacturers used the positive terminal of the battery
for the ground plane.  Basically, they installed the battery "backwards".
All of the electrical components were built to use voltage in this way.
This seems to have been mostly a British car phenomenon.  It has
no effect on the way the car runs until you need to replace an electrical
component or you need to jump start the car or charge the battery.

Since then, auto manufacturers have standardized on using the
negative terminal of the battery for the ground plane.  The warning is
there to remind anyone trying to jump the car that they need to connect
the negative terminal of the battery in the donor car to the negative
terminal of the DeLorean.  This avoids a really nasty short circuit
between the two cars.

-------------- Original message from "baseball8819" : --------------

Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 22:20:11 -0000
From: "jangwin" <jeff_at_dml_angwin.us>

"Earth" is British-speak for "Ground" here in the states, So Negative
Earth simply means that the ground - or electrical connection to the
chassis is the Negative terminal of the battery. This is exactly the
same as virtually all cars sold here, so there is nothing different
between the Delorean and any other car in respect to how the battery
is connected.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "baseball8819" <baseball8819_at_dml_n...>

Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 23:10:48 -0000
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Bad things happen on GOOD days!

Well the good news is I finally got my 1950 Buick I've spent the last
few months restoring on the road and driving..bad part is while
driving my DeLo home, my neighbor had rocks stacked next to his
driveway and one big rock in the road. Hit the one in the road and now
I have a nice sized scraping dent in my passenger door :_(....It is
almost on the bottom of the door, so it will be impossible to
repair... Anyone have a good used empty passenger door for sale?? Dani
B. #5003

Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:39:45 -0400
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: RE: Idle problems?

You may want to check the pins in the idle speed motor connector. I had one
that was pushed back and only making intermittent contact.

Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 00:38:33 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Tornado destroys 1983 DeLorean (Pic Uploaded)

I've uploaded the pertinent newspaper pic to #5939's photo album.

Louie Golden used to live right up the road -- perhaps he knows the car.

Tornado was a big'un. Damaged 121 structures. Travelled 8 miles.
Destroyed new cars in the parking lot of a Ford dealership too, but
interestingly the DeLorean merited more newsprint.

Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 18:01:13 -0700
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>

The 2004 Lincoln Town Car has a trunk opener and also closer.  The closer
brings it down and then a screw thing latches it the rest of the way...this
is not the usual pop open thing...I dunno how it works.    When our daughter
was in Japan on an exchange student trip, she stayed with people that had a
Mercedes of some sort......she said the father would ask if the kids were
seated in the back seat and he would push a button up front that remotely
closed the doors.  These terribly heavy doors of ours would present a
problem....I have heard that there are taxi's in our country do that too.
My old 48 Packard convert had a master hydraulic system that raised and
lowered the windows and moved the seat plus top.....those things were a
nightmare of plumbing but worked great and almost silently.  I tried to hold
a window DOWN one time while pushing the up button and I think if I had put
a chair on it, it would have easily lifted me!
Murray
Vin: 05962
Lic:  DMC XII