From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2255
Date: Friday, October 01, 2004 7:47 PM

1. Re: Dented Doors
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

2. Re: Pigeon Forge DVD set
From: DmcGman_at_dml_comcast.net

3. Re: Re: Automatic door-coloser (Was: RE: LockZILLA with Remote ZILLAkit for sale)
From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>

4. RE: stereo/clock out.
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

5. Re: Single Key For Two Key Cars
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

6. Re: LockZILLA with Remote ZILLA kit for sale
From: "darryl" <darryl_at_dml_techline.com>

7. AW: AW: Pigeon Forge DVD set
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

8. Delorean mechanics ( is there such a thing?)
From: "ashtonorlan" <ashtonorlan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. AW: Brake upgrades
From: <klaus-peter.steiner_at_dml_rwe.com>

10. Re: stereo/clock out.
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

11. RE: front turn signal
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

12. Wall Street Journal Delorean Investment
From: "wayofcain" <wayofcain_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: Re: Single Key For Two Key Cars
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

14. Re: Re: Single Key For Two Key Cars
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

15. RE: Re: Pigeon Forge DVD set
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

16. RE: Re: Pigeon Forge DVD set
From: "Joe Thome" <joethome_at_dml_jps.net>

17. Re: Re: Desperate for a door lock set
From: sand131_at_dml_aol.com

18. Re: Wall Street Journal Delorean Investment
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

19. RE: Re: Pigeon Forge DVD set
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

20. Oil Light
From: "trekkerlb" <TrekkerLB_at_dml_Netzero.Com>

21. Ignition upgrading
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

22. Re: Single Key For Two Key Cars
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

23. tall gearing solutions?
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. RE: Re: Pigeon Forge DVD set
From: Matt <dmc4matt_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. RE: Ignition upgrading
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 03:26:41 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Dented Doors

You just "hit the nail on the head", so to speak. The only way to work
the dents out of Dani's and my doors is to hammer them from behind.
Unfortunately inner door skins prevent access.

Heat or cold is immaterial because the metal is creased. Impacted
objects formed it as completely as a die in a press. We'd have as much
success as trying to "pop out" the lines in our hoods.

Those creases also rule out a slide hammer (which leaves you with a
bunch of drilled holes to fill, surrounded by RAISED metal that must
then be hammered down).

Don't forget that stainless steel is a very odd material to work with
(witness DMC's hood stamping experience. Amtrak also has great
difficulty with it at Beech Grove). I suspect most body shops know
limitations of their experience and wouldn't attempt a repair
irrespective of access.

Rob Grady's advice remains the best: either replace the door or learn
to live with the dent.

Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 02:48:08 +0000
From: DmcGman_at_dml_comcast.net
Subject: Re: Pigeon Forge DVD set

I too received my DVD's of the Pigeon Forge show.  I agree it is well worth 20 bucks for the interviews and to simply have some sort of DVD from the show.  However I have to say I was very disappointed that the DVD's are really just a serious of interviews and speaking presentations most who attended saw.  I was hoping that there would be a lot more footage of the show and the cars outside on the day of the show as well as more shots of the Dragon or other activities besides just the lectures from the guests and others.  Again yes its well worth 20 bucks but I think so much of the show would have been great to have been included other than just some quick shots of the cars on display inside and some quick dragon run shots.  In fact the menu pretty much reads one name after the other for each interview or lecture.   I would have liked to seen more of the "cars" who are the real stars of the show.

Gary

<<The content of the DVD's are ok. But I would have loved to see more
of the meeting, not just the single people talking. Some more minutes
that show the building with the cars and details of some special cars
would have been great.

I would say 20 bucks are ok for it though I still don't get why my
PAYPAL account wasn't good enough for him.

Elvis & 6548>>

Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 22:17:16 -0700
From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Automatic door-coloser (Was: RE: LockZILLA with Remote ZILLAkit for sale)

Has anyone ever considered the use of a micro hydraulic system much like
that on some convertible tops? I know the PT Cruiser uses small hydraulic
pistons that would be of a similar size to our existing door struts. Of
course this wouldn't be practical as you have to find a place to fit the
pump and all the other hardware.

I know this wouldn't be that practical considering the cost and possible
modifications to the door, but I think it could be done.

Payne

---

Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 00:40:07 -0500
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: stereo/clock out.

There is a little glass fuse in a holder behind the radio.
If you reach back there from the passenger side you will find it.
I think there are actually two of them.
Mine popped once for no reason and I replaced it and everything was fine.
- VB

Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 04:20:11 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Single Key For Two Key Cars

Are the keyways (grooves) on a 2 key DeLo identical?

My ignition is keyed differently than the doors, whether from the
factory or from a replacement cylinder I do not know. They do share
indentical keyways, so I simply had a double sided key cut -- ignition
on one side and doors on the other. Is now a "single key" vehicle. And
since the tumblers are located opposite one another, I never have to
change key orientation either!

Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 23:11:15 -0700
From: "darryl" <darryl_at_dml_techline.com>
Subject: Re: LockZILLA with Remote ZILLA kit for sale

> BTW- Stupid Question: Is there such a thing as a door closer??? I know
> there are the launchers, but is there such a product that will close
> the doors?

I'm surprised none of the other PNDC members have chimed in on this yet, so I guess I will - there is at least one DeLorean with door closers.  Its a red car last known to be in Canada, and the conversion was done in the Seattle area.  I furnished some of the parts, and several PNDC members got to see the car and the amazing work being done to it.  The hood and louver/engine cover opened and closed by pneumatic cylinders.  The doors were pulled closed by tiny cables (like bicycle hand brake cables) fastened to two large pneumatic cylinders that laid on the shelf behind the seats.  Their location required moving the fuse box and relays as otherwise access to them was blocked.  The car had many other custom features such as top end stereo and GPS, and the cost was huge.  PNDC founder emeritus Arnie Brandon could shed additional light on the subject if anyone is interested.

And I wholeheartedly agree with the suggestion that you install DPNW's Wings Aloft door opener kit.  It's totally unique and appropriate for the car, easy to install, and reliable (but then I am a little biased on the subject).

Darryl Tinnerstet
McCleary, WA
(still lurking, so watch what you say...)

Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 09:06:40 +0200
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: AW: AW: Pigeon Forge DVD set

Bob,

you're right, we all know how a regular Delorean looks like.
There were several interesting modified cars that I would have
loved to see - at least on TV.
And also the guys you showed said lots of great things, but what about
the other people at the show ? I heared there was a crazy guy barefoot
all the time ? ;-)

About the prints - of course they are not that importamt, but you
claimed they would be so great and perfect that I was amazed how
simple and cheap they look. Especially the ones on the DVD's themselves.

About Bidpay and money orders - I installed Paypal because I thought
that's what everybody accepts. Now there is also Bidpay ? What comes next
week ? Bidpal ?
We germans normally use onlinebanking, transferring money by wire
is common here since almost forever. Paypal ist just the american version
of that as you guys still use checks. And I have no idea how moneyorder
works. I guess that would cost me the same as the DVD's ?

But still it is great that somebody took his time to film that show
and as I said before, the quality of the film is great.

Elvis

Sorry about the Paypal thing...
Paypal is a tricky service and I had some instances of people using stolen
credit cards from over seas (mostly Indonesia) and so Paypal has my account
set up so that it only accepts payments from confirmed US addresses.
If you don't meet all the requirments for thier "Buyer Protection Program"
then it will reject the payment.
Sorry about that, but I had to set it up that way because I kept getting
ripped off.
These guys would buy my stuff and send me payments, then months later the
credit card companies would jackl the money out of my account without
warning!
So my account is now set up to avoid that.
I only sell one or two things a year out of the USA, so for you guys you
must use BIDPAY or send a money order.

...and what about the "prints"?
Do you mean the color sleeve in the DVD case?
It is done a color laser printer, and besides that... who cares about the
COVER?
Did you buy it for display or to watch the DVD's?

***cut***

Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 06:26:44 -0000
From: "ashtonorlan" <ashtonorlan_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Delorean mechanics ( is there such a thing?)

Does anyone know of any reliable mechanics in the state of Minnesota?
Volvo sucks here...so I am out of options. there is this one guy, he
doesnt speak english real well and has about a hundred corpse cars
in his yard, please , help me and dont make me resort to him.

Ashton

Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 09:40:14 +0200
From: <klaus-peter.steiner_at_dml_rwe.com>
Subject: AW: Brake upgrades

Have a look here:

http://datarecovery.de/ress/delobremse.htm
Sorry - only in German Language

or here: http://www.dmc-service.nl/Uk/Index_Uk.htm

Klaus

Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 20:52:15 -0000
From: dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com
Subject: brake upgrades.

Hi,

Is Steve of www.projectdelorean.com the only DeLorean owner to do
serious brake upgrades?

Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 12:06:56 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

There is an inline fuse on each power lead behind the dash. You have to
remove the radio or go behind the dash from the passenger footwell to get at
them.

That's assuming you have an OEM stereo. If you have an aftermarket, there's
no telling how it was installed.

Rich A.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Sean Mulligan <sean_mulligan_at_dml_y...>

Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 08:32:55 -0400
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: RE: front turn signal

If you checked all the electrical connections and grounds you could change
to a 2357 bulb which is a 40 candle power versus the 32 candle power of the
1157. This is a slightly higher wattage so I'm not sure what effect they
will have on the blink rate of the flasher.

Dave Sontos

Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 13:13:43 -0000
From: "wayofcain" <wayofcain_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Wall Street Journal Delorean Investment

The Wall street Journal has made a list of top investment cars. Guess
who's on the list.

For those of you with AOL the link can be viewed here.

http://pf.channel.aol.com/moneytoday/wsj/investment/cars.adp

Small exerpt:

Collectors are restoring and showing not only models from the 1950s
and 1960s but also cars as recent as 1980s Ferraris and DeLoreans --
and as quirky as 1970s AMC Pacers and Ford Pintos.

Also they have a list of buy, sell, hold:

BUY:
 1976 Cadillac Eldorado
 1970 BMW 2002
 1964 Pontiac GTO conv.

SELL:
 1966 Mini Cooper S
 1931 Duesenberg J
 1949 Mercury coupe

HOLD:
 1967 Buick GS400 conv.
 1959 Chevrolet El Camino
 1981 DeLorean

Hold onto those D's kids, this might get interesting.

Cain Grimes

Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 07:39:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Single Key For Two Key Cars

Actually, I may need to partially retract my statement...

I just posted saying that both the door key and the ignition key on my two key system were bilaterally symmetrical. On closer inspection, it appears my door key is different on the two sides, unlike the ignition key.  But I have never consciously oriented the key a certain way when unlocking my car.  Have I just been lucky??

I would test it myself, but I didn't drive the DeLorean to work today.  :-(

Jake in 1063

Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 07:20:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Bill,

The two keys on the early cars are indeed different.  Both are bilaterally symmetrical, but the length of the door key is significantly shorter than the ignition key.  The two key system on 1063 works just fine, but I do plan on installing one of Toby's keyless entry/launcher systems in the next couple of months so I don't have to worry about breaking it and finding a replacement.

Your car should have come with the same key to work both door and ignition, but who cares, eh?  Just be glad you don't have to carry around the old lighted door key.  I'd swear sometimes I need to tighten my belt when I put my keys in my pocket.  :-)

"Are those your DeLorean keys, or are you just happy to see me?"

Jake Kamphoefner
1063

Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 10:56:18 -0500
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Pigeon Forge DVD set

I tried to put together a video of the "dragon run", but really what is
there to show?
It is something you have to experience for yourself to be effective.
Otherwise, it was just video of the road twisting and turning.
That get's boring after about 10 seconds.
As far as the car show goes, there were a ton of photos taken,
again, my defense is that if you want to take a look at a Delorean go
outside
and look in your garage if you have one.
If you've seen one you have pretty much seen them all.
With the exception of a different shifter knob or cute little add on here
and there,
I do regret not spending more time on the time machines....
I only concentrated on the important stuff like speakers, that stuff happens
only ONCE and you have to get it when it happens, the cars will always be
there.

I will get more of the cars next time..... then we can have a 6 hour DVD.
- VB

Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 09:46:33 -0700
From: "Joe Thome" <joethome_at_dml_jps.net>

Bob,

A  million thank yous for your excellent work on the Pigeon Forge DVDs. The
quality is superb. I recommend your DVD set for anyone who loves the
DeLorean car. It's a must have DVD set.

Joe Thome

Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 12:50:49 EDT
From: sand131_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Desperate for a door lock set

Matt
I have the lock set listed below for sale. They are old stock. The keys are
the lighted type but only have half of the light. No battery or cover or button
or internals. If intrested let me know and I will send a picture.
101419  L.H. DR. LOCK  Set W/2 Lighted KEY  1   $149.00
ralph  VIN1606

Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 14:22:22 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Wall Street Journal Delorean Investment

I am greatly encouraged that the DeLorean made the list. I might credit this to a
resurgence of interest by a new generation of owners but I could be wrong.

Either way, this could go a long way towards rectifying all of the mis-
information that profiles the cars as "dangerous, deeply flawed and unreliable"
to something a little more realistic like "reliable when properly maintained,
flawed, but no more so than any other brand-new concept production vehicle".

For the record, I have been performing a "rolling restoration" of my DeLorean.
It took me 10 months to recondition the engine, weld the frame and repair the
electrical, fuel, braking and cooling systems from 19 years of neglect and
amatuer-ish attempts to bypass non-working systems. In the remaining 14
months, I have logged approximately 18k miles with this car as my daily driver.
I've driven from Maryland to Pigeon Forge, New York and Ohio and it has
never stranded me. I have as much faith in my DeLorean as I do in my PT
Cruiser.

Hopefully I'll never have to cash in on my "investment" by selling it.

Rich A.

Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 12:05:18 -0700
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

If you want a great video of the Dragon Run, go to:
http://deloreancarshow.com/dcs-2004 and click on Dragon Run.

I didn't link directly to the page with the video, because it takes a while
to load and can lock up some email clients as it loads.

Gary
IN2TIME

Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 20:56:56 -0000
From: "trekkerlb" <TrekkerLB_at_dml_Netzero.Com>
Subject: Oil Light

I'm still new at being my own mechanic, and reciently I have had the
oil light come on, and does not turn off.  The oil pressure gauge
indicate between 1/4 to 1/2, I checked and added some oil, but yet
it stay on.  Is it possible to put a oil pressure gauge right into
the sensors opening and take readings?  Any guess as to what it may
be.  Unfortuneatly, the car had sat for some time, when I finally
got it running this happened.

This leads me to another question.  While adding oil, I had spilled
some onto the Cat - a fire started due to this, fortuneately it did
not do any damage, other than scare me to death!  I had run the car
for approximately 15-20 minutes, a co-worker thought that something
was wrong because the cat was that hot - is he correct?

Thanks for the help!

Luis

Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 14:12:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Ignition upgrading

Hi List,

I'm about to take off my intake manifold to replace some vacuum components on my car, and I figured while I am in "the valley of death" that I'd just go ahead and replace and upgrade all the components  in the area. I'd like some advice or experience on upgrading my ignition system. I'm looking at all of the components John Hervey has, the bosch +4 platinum spark plugs, custom blue silicone 7 or 8mm plug wires, and one of his performance coils. I'll also be replacing my cap and rotor, in addition to all of my o-rings, vacuum components, and hoses while I'm at it. Does anyone have any thoughts, experiences, or preferences among these performance ignition options? I know there was some worry about radio interference and the like with some of the spark plug wires. Thanks in advance!

Louie Golden
VIN 5252 Charlotte, NC

Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 19:32:40 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

In several respects my vehicle differs from what the VIN indicates it
should have come with (1982 style door pulls for example), so there's
no telling whether it left Dunmurry with 1 or 2 keys. I have to file
shoulders off an X29 blank (lengthening the keyway) to make it work in
my ignition, which would indicate 2 key heritage. And now that you
mention it: my key does bottom out in the door cylinders, which would
indicate a shorter original. I don't mind it bottoming out because it
allows me to flip the mass of other keys away from the stainless with
my free fingers.

I know all about mega key rings. Am currently carting around 23, with
another 3 on the way.

Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 22:29:13 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: tall gearing solutions?

Does anyone know of a supplier/ manufacturer etc... where one could
find the necessary components to do something about the mid range
pick up? Has anyone ever thought of manufacturing any? thanks

Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 15:35:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: Matt <dmc4matt_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I agree. I purchased a DVD set from Video Bob, and I think it is terrific. It truly is the next best thing to being at the show. As VB said, everyone has seen a DeLorean, and knows what they look like. I think it is great how the custom ones were highlited in the video.

Thanks, Bob.

Automatic, Black Interior

Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 18:19:00 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Ignition upgrading

Louie
I'll chime in for you and the rest of the group. The 8mm Taylor wires are
low resistance performance wire (350 ohm's per foot )and wound as to cancel
out RFI noise ( radio interference). Also, keep in mind that the rotor we
use has a 5000 ohm's resistance built into that, which again cut's out RFI.
The MSD 45,000 volt coil has the same matching resistance as the original
coil which is .7 ohms. The Pertronix coil is what I call a little more
conservative with a 40,000 volt out put at 1.5 ohms resistance. Either will
work with the stock resistor in the car. Platinum +4 is at the top of the
list with plugs. So, unless your brand happy, you will like the difference
with the set up.
P.S. I now have the 8.5mm silicone wire from MSD to start making the
ultimate High Performance wire. It's 50 ohm's per foot. The set will be
$10.00 higher than the original 8mm wires on the site now.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/engine-tuneup.html