From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2257
Date: Sunday, October 03, 2004 7:21 PM

1. DMA "Design Our Logo" Contest - Closed (View Entries)
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

2. Re: #1 cylinder problems
From: "delorean3502" <delorean_at_dml_charter.net>

3. Re: #1 cylinder problems
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

4. Re: #1 cylinder problems
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

5. Re: And for my next trick.....
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

6. Re: And for my next trick.....
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

7. The DeLorean Community
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

8. SEMA SHOW LAS VEGAS
From: mroboto_at_dml_aol.com

9. Door Launchers
From: "Tom Watkins" <dmctom_at_dml_earthlink.net>

10. Philly owners
From: "baseball8819" <baseball8819_at_dml_netscape.net>

11. Re: The DeLorean Community
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Eurofest 2004 Greenville, S.C.
From: deloreanss_at_dml_aol.com

13. Re: And for my next trick.....
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

14. Re: Door Launchers
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Battery not charging
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

16. no heat! (and no defrost!)
From: "Cameron, Peter" <cameron_at_dml_bnl.gov>

17. Re: Door Launchers
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

18. Re: Battery not charging
From: Hank <heskin_at_dml_gmail.com>

19. Re: no heat! (and no defrost!)
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

20. Re: Battery not charging
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

21. Re: The DeLorean Community
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Re: Battery not charging
From: Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net>

23. Re: New Fall Tour Info, Must read!
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 20:37:48 -0400
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: DMA "Design Our Logo" Contest - Closed (View Entries)

Put down your pens and pencils!  It's all over...
The Delorean Mid-Atlantic "Design Our Logo" Contest has officially been
closed.   The winner will be decided shortly, and announced at the Fall
Tour V.  In the mean time, you can check out all the entries that were
submitted on our site by going to this link:
http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/updates/updates.htm

Overall, there were 29 total entries for the contest!  Thanks to
everyone who took the time to submit and entry.  It will be a tough job
for the officers to decide the winner!

Kevin Abato
Vin# 16680

Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 17:50:16 -0700
From: "delorean3502" <delorean_at_dml_charter.net>
Subject: Re: #1 cylinder problems

Try a compression check, it will tell real quick if rings or valves are bad
Lloyd #3502
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 01:07:43 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Also, check plug resistance with a ohm meter or swap it with another.

Do a compression test to rule out the valves.

(Isn't fuel related if the problem doesn't follow the injector).

Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 04:01:57 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Try swapping the ignition wire with another cylinder and see if it
changes anything. A compression test and leak-down test will tell you
if it is anything mechanical.

Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 04:10:44 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: And for my next trick.....

On any car that has sat still for many years I would suspect the
condition of the bearings. Bearings are not meant to stay in one
position and never move, it is bad for them, especially with the
weight of the car on them. You can get corrosion inside from the load
not being moved around. In many cases when you revive a "dead" car it
seems to run well for a while and then these kinds of things start to
"pop" up. In many cases it is just prudent to replace them before you
even try to use the car. You also don't always know the car's history,
maybe at some time while it was sitting it got flooded and the
bearings got wet. This goes for bearings in the alternator, starter,
water pump, fans, A/C compressor, window motors, etc. You should also
disassemble, clean, and relube the C/V joints. What do you do for the
throwout bearing and the pilot bearing? They can go bad too.

Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 04:23:38 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

That one's easy - wait for one of them to fail, then yank the trans.
A bad pilot or TO bearing will give you tons of notice (i.e. noise)
before it fails.

Honestly - I've never seen one of these go bad before the car needed
a clutch anyway (at least on a DeLorean - don't get me started on old
Fords).

Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 04:49:14 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com
Subject: The DeLorean Community

Hello List -  We sometimes refer to this ecclectic bunch of DeLorean
enthusiasts and wannabe's as the "Delorean community".  The term was
proven again tonight to be a true description.  We got a call
tonight at 8:30 Seattle time from a gentleman in New Jersey who had
just bought a DeLorean today, and was going to drive it home to
South Carolina tomorrow.  The car developed a problem where raw fuel
was running out of the exhaust pipe (not good), and he was quite
desperate for some help.  I emailed Marc Levy, who lives in New
Jersey, with a name and phone number where this new owner could be
reached.  In spite of the fact that it was 11:30 at night, Marc
immediately called him, and made arrangements for him to bring the
car over so that they could see about doing some repairs tonight or
first thing in the morning.  That, my friends, is what a "community"
is all about.  Thank you so much Marc for your help.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com
A proud member of the DeLorean Community!

Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 05:05:14 EDT
From: mroboto_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: SEMA SHOW LAS VEGAS

> A number of DeLorean owners appear to be headed for Las Vegas to the
> SEMA convention the first week in November.
>
> I exhibit at the SEMA Auto Industry Week every year (Tireflys), and would
like to meet with other Delorean owners while there. Anybody that wishes to
coordinate something may contact me directly, off-list. I also have a limited
number of SEMA passes available. For those who are into cars, and have never
attended SEMA/AAPEX, it's four days of automotive worship.

Daniel Deutsch (Orlando)
3356 & 15779

Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 09:00:44 -0400
From: "Tom Watkins" <dmctom_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: Door Launchers

If you go to Bob's site it says that the launch system is $458.00.  Unless you have information to the contrary I'm not sure where you get $600-800.   Yes, you do need the remote  lock system for it to be integrated.     I have no doubt that Toby has many satisfied customers but I feel it's inappropriate to suggest that being tied into the Zilla line is somehow a negative thing.

It would be just as inappropriate to suggest that buying Toby's kit is somehow a negative.   Each system has it's own advantages and we should honor the work that these people have put into creating these products for us to choose.

While at P.F. it was suggested to me that I pull all my Zilla stuff out of my car and replace it with Toby's products.   While I appreciate the endorsement of the products, the salemanship that goes along with it and the time an investment into creating the product,  I was not willing to take out a line of products that I have invested in and start over.

There are many people out there with Zilla products in their cars.   Adding Zilla Launcher system at this point will be far easier than to start from scratch.    As for delays...yeah we all have life stuff that gets in the way of things.   I'm willing to wait to get the Zilla launchers.

I'm not trying to slam your endorsement of Tobys kit, on the contrary I feel that if you are happy with the Wings-Aloft system then you should express your pleasure.   Just remember that there are many satified Zilla product owners, such as myself, who are don't have a problem with being "tied" into the Zilla line and may take your comments as a slam against their decision to continue to be loyal to the Zilla line.   I have no doubt you didn't mean it this way but the evaluation of your intended meaning comes from the person reading it.

----

Zilla wants something on the order of $600-$800 for his, plus you have to
buy a Lockzilla remote system for several hundred more. So you can pay
over a grand, wait who knows how long, and be tied into Zilla, or you
can pay in the neighborhood of $200 for Toby's EXCELLENT kit which is
available now.
-----
Tom Watkins
dmctom_at_dml_earthlink.net

Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 00:20:01 -0000
From: "baseball8819" <baseball8819_at_dml_netscape.net>
Subject: Philly owners

I'm looking for somebody in Philadelphia or close by to look at a
delorean no more than 15 or so miles outside (in NJ) of the city for
me. If you would like to possibly help me, then please send me an
email...my email is baseball8819_at_dml_gmail.com

Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 07:37:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: The DeLorean Community

That is a great story and one of the reasons I love these cars. There are really helpful people that are owners, and friends. Let us know how it turns out, please.

Chris

Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 14:00:12 EDT
From: deloreanss_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Eurofest 2004 Greenville, S.C.

Hello everyone, just a friendly reminder that the annual Eurofest car show at
the BMW plant in Greenville, S.C. is approaching. It will be 13days from
today on Saturday, October 16. This is a huge show with clubs and cars
representing all the major and minor European marks. Usually there are huge groups of
BMWs, M-Bs, Porsches, MGs, Triumphs, etc., etc. but smaller groups of odd cars
like Merkurs, Citroens, etc are also common. We have always had an average group
of about 6 cars there, this year we are trying to surprise them with at least
10 cars or more. I have heard that there will be at least 10 DeLorean's
coming, so this will be a fun event for the DeLorean folk. This really is an
incredible show, I highly recommend that you register and attend. Check out the
website www.euroautofestival.com. Hope to see many of you there.

John Weaver
RED DMC #10527
MidSouth DMC
www.msdmc.com

Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 15:26:24 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

I knew that! I was just pointing out it can be a lot of work to change
some of the bearings in the car and you might not want to do that if
you only suspect that they might go bad soon. Obviously if they are
making noise you have no choice but do you replace them beforehand or
do you wait? This is one of the problems the venders have. They HAVE
to replace these kinds of parts, they can't sell the car as
refurbished and have a throwout bearing go bad 2 weeks later when the
car is hundreds of miles away. These are the choices you make when you
revive a "sleeper".

Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 16:47:33 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Door Launchers

I would'nt remove/ replace my Zillas even if you paid me.......not
happening. But that doesnt mean I wouldnt buy from Toby, just that I
already have all the Zillas on my car and am extremely happy with
them and see no reason to turn on a product that has served me very
well.

Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 18:19:25 -0000
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Battery not charging

Hey guys, I've noticed for a while now that every time I start my car,
the battery seems to be getting a little weaker. This battery was just
purchased in April so I don't think the battery is the problem. My
volt gauge shows a good reading, but is it possible that the
alternator isn't charging the battery? What would I check out for this
situation? I took the battery out and trickle charged it, it was very
low and took a few hours to charge back up. I did this after I drove
the car so it is obvious something isn't right. I'm going to take the
battery to the auto store for testing just to make sure it isn't the
battey. Any other suggestions? Thanks guys- Dani B. #5003

Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 14:14:26 -0400
From: "Cameron, Peter" <cameron_at_dml_bnl.gov>
Subject: no heat! (and no defrost!)

I recently bought a low mileage (16000), well cared for delorean automatic.
Delighted with the car. I'm doing all the little things to bring it into the
condition needed for everyday driving.

Heater doesn't work. A/C is fine, quite strong. Checked heater flap cable -
it's OK, or at least when I look under dashboard on passenger side, I can
see that it rotates the shaft for the heater flap on the heater box. Heater
water valve (in the 'valley of death' back there in front of the intake
manifold) cycles properly when going to and from max A/C setting as
determined by visual inspection, so I assume it is sending hot water to the
radiator core. All pneumatic flaps in the heater box seem to be working
properly, heater mode switch checks out OK. But no heat! Please, any
suggestions on what to do next?

Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 19:42:27 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

Hello List - I noticed this thread, and in particular the post by
Tom W., and I thought that I would chime in with my thoughts.  I
appreciate the enthusiastic endorsement of our Wings-A-Loft products
by many satisfied customers.  I also want to acknowledge the
contribution that Bob Zilla has made to the DeLorean community with
his well thought out and carefully made products.  There is no doubt
that the Zilla products are good, and Bob has done a great deal to
make the DeLorean experience a little more pleasant.  Many people
have been patiently waiting for the Zilla Door Launchers to be
produced, assuming that this was the only option for them because of
their investment in, and loyalty to, the Zilla line.  Yet another
scenario is that people have invested in and installed high-end
alarm systems in their cars, and they don't want to yank all of that
out in order to get remote opening doors.

Well, the good news is that you can leave all of your Zilla and
Zilla Remote hardware, or other alarm systems, in place and also get
door opening capability - NOW.  You can, in fact, have your cake and
eat it too.  We (DPNW) have had what we call our "Adapter System"
available for some time now.  This system interfaces very well with
the outputs from the Zilla Remote and any other alarm system, and
allows the installation of our proven linear actuators and control
relays.  The system is complete with everything you'll need to hook
into the existing controller, and detailed instructions on how to
install it right up to the interface.  We can also help with the
integration if required.  The part number is K2400DP.  We also have
a trunk opening subsystem coming soon that will also interface well
(K2905DP).  If you want to wait for the Zilla Door Launchers, that
is certainly your option.  If you want to retain the existing Zilla
Remote system and also have remote door opening right now, that is
also your option.  I hope that this helps to set the record straight
and establish our position with regards to Zilla products.  Feel
free to contact me off-List if you have any questions about what
I've shared here.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 'Winged1'
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_y...>

Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 15:59:24 -0400
From: Hank <heskin_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Battery not charging

I know some people will disagree with me, but my batteries had a slow
drain that turned out to (and continues to be) my zilla-lockzilla and
remote units.  I solved the problem with a battery cut-off switch from
John Hervey.

If you put an ammeter on main battery contact(+), and pull the fuse
that powers the lockzilla (or disconnect the lockzilla), you'll see
the current draw go to zero (assuming you don't have any lights on).

And as a side note, I'm not "dissing" the zilla products - I have most
of them... it's just been my experience that the units slowly drain my
batteries.

-Hank  #1619

Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 21:12:56 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com
Subject: Re: no heat! (and no defrost!)

Peter - I looked briefly for a post on this very subject, but was
not able to find it.  Another owner had a similar experience, and he
found that the hoses were completely clogged with some form of
mineral or other deposits.  He was able to physically clear out the
lines, and his heater started producing heat just fine.  A good
system flush was also in order.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Cameron, Peter" <cameron_at_dml_b...>

Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 22:01:27 -0000
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

The problem is I don't have any zilla products installed in my car.
The only thing I have is an alarm system which only uses a extremely
tiny amount of power to light an LED... The problem is lack of current
going to the battery while I'm driving, I have all kinds of power to
operate my lights and etc, but when I stop and start the car again,
its a slow crank showing that the alternator isn't providing any
charge for the battery...any ideas? -Dani B. #5003

Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 15:15:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

The guy was staying with family, less than 5 miles
from my house.   He came over here last night at about
11:30PM.  I checked out the car, and best I could tell
he had a cold start problem..  After the car was
warmed up, it ran fine.

He was concerned that the car was unsafe to drive home
(south Carolina).  My opinion was that it was safe.
It just needed some help when starting cold.

I advised him to figure out exactly what was wrong
with the cold start when he got home.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 15:36:40 -0700
From: Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net>

I had a similar problem too. Even though I replaced the battery and
alternator, the battery would slowly drain. This was happening during
regular driving. The problem turned out to be a bad battery ground. The
connection from the negative cable to the frame was rusted and had over 45
ohms of resistance. With that amount, the alternator couldn't properly
charge the battery.

A quick temporary fix that worked for me was to use a jumper cable from the
negative battery post to the passenger seat belt bolt. This would bypass
the bad grounding point and allow the battery to charge.

Just be careful when repairing the ground. The bolt can easily break off.
Make sure you remove the lock nut inside the frame first.

Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 18:38:54 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: New Fall Tour Info, Must read!

Any D owners headed to Long Island on friday from Baltimore or any other
southern city and are interested in caravaning?

Ryan Brandys