From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2265
Date: Friday, October 08, 2004 9:04 AM

1. Re: Funny sound behind dash?
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

2. RE: Re: Radio Upgrade
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Re: Radio Upgrade
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: Re: Radio Upgrade
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

5. Re: losing power
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

6. Re: losing power (vacuum leak)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

7. Side Stripe Controversy
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

8. RE: Re: Nothing up my sleeves... (fuel accumulator pad)
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

9. Re: Chevy Engine swap
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

10. RE: Lockzilla or WingsAloft???
From: "darryl" <darryl_at_dml_techline.com>

11. Re: Chevy Engine swap
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 00:18:53 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Funny sound behind dash?

You didn't say with or without engine running but, I'm suspecting
the fuel pump is what you hear.

Harold McElraft - 3354

-- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_y...>

Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 18:54:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Radio Upgrade

Speakers to fit the DeLorean are quite easy to find..
By repeating over and over again that they are hard to
find may get you a few sales from lazy people.  I
guess this is the concept you learned in your business
course?  I guess you missed the course on ethics.

And a 3 inch speaker with a quality tweeter and
crossover will sound better than a single 3 inch
driver any day..

But then again, you used washers to mount your
speakers, ignoring the basic concepts of how a speaker
works.  You may have taken the business course, but it
is clear you do not have a good understanding of the
products you sell.

<SNIP>

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 19:01:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Bob,

I am interested in the tech support deal.  Can you
elaborate on your credentials that make you an
athority on Deloreans?  or even automobile mechanics
in general?

Your unemployed?  What happened to the $100K a year?

Marc

--- Videobob Moseley <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com> wrote:

<SNIP>
> The difference is that I always toss in a free
> Delorean related goodie, and
> also become a
> friend you can call on for tech support as well as
<SNIP>

Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 21:36:33 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

[Moderator Note:  That's it, the fun's over, kids.  And so is this conversation.  Take it somewhere else.  - Mike Substelny, DML moderating team]

Marc,
Please leave me alone and stop harassing me both privately and on the DML.
I do my best to ignore your childish taunts but I think everyone is sick of
it.
I think it is very immature the way you act with your foolish comments.
I never address you on the DML, or even make a reference to you in any way.
I would appreciate the same courtesy.
- Videobob

Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 21:45:23 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: losing power

Larry,

A vacuum leak does make a car run lean. (Lean = not enough fuel for the
amount of air, thus the unmetered air of a vac leak leans the car out.) It
might also be a fuel delivery problem of some sort. This isn't very
specific, but if someone competent has diagnosed a lean condition using a
calibrated air/fuel meter then you need to determine whether the issue is a
vac leak or insufficient fuel delivery.

Unfortunately there are numerous places where you can have a vac leak on a
K-Jet, and likewise there are numerous potential sources of insufficient
fuel delivery. John's suggestions are good for starters on the fuel delivery
side.

I hate to say it, but if your exhaust was as hot as you say, you may have
some serious damage.

-Joe Kuchan

>From: "Larry Donn" <lumpyd2003_at_dml_yahoo.com>
>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>Subject: Re: [DML] losing power
>Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 19:55:41 -0000
>

>I was told the car was running very lean. The exhaust was white hot.
>Would that more likely be a vacuume leak?

[moderator snip]

Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 04:02:26 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: losing power (vacuum leak)

Could be. Lean mixtures burn much hotter than rich ones. Check out the
pic of my vacuum leak damaged spark plugs in #5939's photo album
(cracked line to the HVAC mode switch did that). Vacuum leaks can
cause combustion chamber temps to soar astronomically -- same effect
as dialing up the oxygen on a welding torch.

Over advanced ignition time will also elevate combustion chamber temps
(longer burn time).

Even properly functioning contemporary engines suffer from both lean
mixtures and aggressive timing. That's why they burn so much hotter
than earlier models, as Castrol points out in its TV commercials. IMHO
stock B28F falls into the same category.

Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 04:17:35 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Side Stripe Controversy

Why is there so much controversy over reproduction side stripes, but
no controversy whatsoever over reproduction vinyl seat covers? Aren't
the two equivalent in terms of historical accuracy, concours
applicability, material quality, etc?

Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 22:36:01 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Nothing up my sleeves... (fuel accumulator pad)

Rich,
I'm sorry I forgot to include the new foam insulation with the Brand new 5
year warranty accumulator. Warranty like that can be offered with brand new
parts not NOS parts.

Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 03:38:26 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Chevy Engine swap

David is right about not underestimating the amount of work involved
in an engine swap. I've done two. Even though both vehicles were
repowered with more or less the same block they were designed around
at the factory, they were a pain nevertheless:
- 1969 460 and transmission into a 1979 Lincoln Mark V
- Carbureted PRV (Puegeot lineage) into a DeLorean
DeLo was a treat because I only had 3 weeks to pull it off before
Pigeon Forge (trip to DCS *WAS* the test drive). I'm still working
residual bugs out.

While indeed true that just about any prime mover can be engineered
into any vehicle, be aware that the two won't simply fall together.
Problems WILL ceaslessly pop up, one after another.

99% of the complaints about PRV maintenance revolve around access.
Parts availability is not a problem. Parts costs are no higher than
contemporary vehicles (they are higher than older domestics however).
Biggest difficulty is getting them in. That's the most significant
reason I swapped fuel injection for carburetion (and re-routed my
exhaust). Otherwise I'm very happy with the engine.

FWIW: Even though performance was not a primary consideration in my
DeLo repower, resultant drivetrain is very quick. 8 seconds 0-60
(stock vehicles are 10 plus in real world tests). I'm burning a 2
barrel Motorcraft/Holly carb on what is basically a low compression
B28. Renault squeezed 160 HP out of a high compression version of that
same engine WITHOUT TURBOCHARGING (dual carb setup). Yielded 7.5
seconds 0-60 in the Alpine GTA (same gear box as ours, but I believe
ratios were smaller). B280/3.0 is advertised at 170 HP -- WITH full US
emissions, again sans turbocharging (10.5:1 compression, multi-port EFI).

Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 22:08:57 -0700
From: "darryl" <darryl_at_dml_techline.com>
Subject: RE: Lockzilla or WingsAloft???

Tom W. said "I am waiting for the Zilla Door Launcher system to be produced and I will be quite honest with you that if Bob Zilla were to announce that his Door Launch system was not going to be produced I would buy Toby's kit."

Tom, that's the problem.  The Zilla openers have been "coming soon" for years now, while DPNW's are readily available and have been sold for close to 17 years (under the Specialty Automotive name before)!  They have a proven reliability record with dozens and dozens of kits sold with ZERO problems.  They use modern actuators instead of heavy, high-current solenoids.  Plus, did I mention that they are available NOW?  I don't understand why anyone would want to keep waiting so they can pay more for an unproven system if and when it is ever available.

As for Toby's door lock actuator kit, I installed the first prototype in my third car in 1987, and the 2nd in my current car in 1995.  I never got around to offering it as a kit, mistakingly thinking there wouldn't be much of a market. Boy was I wrong - Toby has refined it to the point where it is probably becoming his best seller, and at a bargain price, too.

While the kit replaces heavy, unreliable solenoids with modern actuators, it does indeed require either a working original door lock relay or a replacement.  So Toby, here's another project I never quite got around to - why not put your head together with David J. and come up with a simple, inexpensive replacement relay for the door locks?  With the heavy current draw of the solenoids removed it should be fairly easy.

(I have no financial or business relationship with DPNW.)

Darryl Tinnerstet
(formerly Specialty Automotive)
McCleary, WA

Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 06:04:22 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

You will also de-value the car terribly. And just hope you never
expect much resale from it. If the engine runs well, only minimal
maintenance keeps it running great. Just reviving them after a 20
year slumber sometimes takes a little tweaking. Your car will thank
you for it. Go buy a camaro for 2 grand to run into the ground, they
already come with a 305 V8 usually. Spare the Delorean it's dignity.

Joe OBrien