From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2266
Date: Saturday, October 09, 2004 7:27 AM

1. Re: Side Stripe Controversy Small Stripe
From: "Mike" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

2. Re: Chevy Engine swap
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

3. Door handles
From: "willem_reyneke" <willem_reyneke_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

4. Re: Lockzilla or WingsAloft???
From: "ryanpwright" <dmcnews_list_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

5. Re: Chevy Engine swap
From: "ryanpwright" <dmcnews_list_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

6. Re: Chevy Engine swap
From: "ryanpwright" <dmcnews_list_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

7. Grow up people!
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

8. What's the beef?
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: Chevy Engine swap
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

10. Re: Funny sound behind dash?
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 12:03:59 -0000
From: "Mike" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Side Stripe Controversy Small Stripe

For my 2peneth worth.... or should that be cents??.... mores the pity
i cant get hold of the smaller pin stripe side stripe / dmc
logo???... id buy one of those if any of the people on here spent the
time to reproduce.

mike
Yorkshire, UK

> Why is there so much controversy over reproduction side stripes, but
> no controversy whatsoever over reproduction vinyl seat covers?
Aren't

Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 12:35:45 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Chevy Engine swap

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_y...>
wrote:

>snip<
Just reviving them after a 20
> year slumber sometimes takes a little tweaking. <snip>
> Joe OBrien

A -little- tweaking?!?!?

Joe I totally agree with most of your statement, but for me, reviving my car
was more like re-earning my submarine warfare qualification pin. I had to read
and study for months and flood the DML with pleas for information, learn every
rivet and screw from stem-to-stern.

That said, the good feeling I get from having my engine fire on the first turn of
the key every time and the fact that I wrote my own tech article on head
gasket replacement is nice. My point is, all of the little flaws the cars had
when they came out of the factory have been ironed out by owners and
vendors over the past 20 years. New relays, electrical mods, radiators, frame
crumple extensions and fuel fixes abound to fix all of these nagging quality
issues. Horsepower has mostly been cured with DMCH's engine upgrades.
Heck, a better complete frame is available now! You can have your cake and
eat it too.

I'm no business major but if I had to post a resale value scale for modd'ed
DeLoreans it might look something like this:

Highest value: Typical condition car with Stage III engine. (Most horsepower
with a total stock look)

Middle value: Typical car that is totally stock, (Minus things like plastic coolant
bottle, OEM fan fail relay etc. ie not concours)

Worst value:  Typical car with a modified frame and 3rd party engine installed,
plus accompanying support systems.

There are exceptions to this, like Bill's carb'd PRV. It's easily returnable to
stock configuration, or even Stage III because his motor mounts aren't
permenant and PRV maintenance is relatively the same. I'm not sure what
category I'd put that car in.

Lastly, I'll throw this out there:  I'll bet if DMCH took a poll, they would find out
that many owners would jump all over a DIY engine upgrade kit that consists
of most or all of the Stage III parts. Many of us want this, but can't afford to
ship the car, plus the labor to install the upgrade. I think it's a race to see who
puts the kit on the market first: DMCH, DPNW, or SpecialT.

If all this just doesn't satisfy you, I saw a mint Lotus Esprit on Ebay yesterday.

Rich A.

Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 13:24:52 -0000
From: "willem_reyneke" <willem_reyneke_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Door handles

My company Columbus Stainless owns a stainless steel model and we
urgently in need of the complette right hand side outer door
handle,new or second hand.Please let me know if you can help to find
me one.
Thanks
Willem

Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 15:29:31 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <dmcnews_list_at_dml_ryanwright.com>
Subject: Re: Lockzilla or WingsAloft???

Darryl,

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "darryl" <darryl_at_dml_t...> wrote:

> got around to - why not put your head together with David J. and come
> up with a simple, inexpensive replacement relay for the door locks?
> With the heavy current draw of the solenoids removed it should be
> fairly easy.

That's a great idea. Essentially, all you'd have to do is copy the
original circuit, change the transistor & resistors to achieve a lower
standby current draw, and use sealed relays. You can have the circuit
boards developed for cheap at any PCB printing place and solder it
together yourself, or find a manufacturer to do the whole thing.

Either way, I'd imagine you could sell these improved controllers for
half the cost of Zilla's units and still make a fair profit.

Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 15:44:36 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <dmcnews_list_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_w...> wrote:

> "bastardized" the car by removing the PRV. IMHO a Delorean that
> doesn't have a PRV can't really be called a Delorean anymore and it's
> market value will reflect that.

That's right, it's market value WILL reflect that. I've seen DeLoreans
with engine swaps and they sell for a hell of a lot more than stock.
You must remember, most people aren't purists. Most people just want a
cool car, and if it's really fast, all the better.

I'll tell you this, when I was shopping for my DeLorean earlier this
year I would have paid a significant premium for a car with a solid
engine swap. I think most of us who are daily drivers would say the
same, especially when you consider a newer V8 could potentially triple
the power output with very little sacrifice in gas milage. And what
about that DeLorean with the rotary engine?
(http://www.eliseusa.com/rotary.htm) Didn't they get a small fortune
for that car compared to stock?

As for the "can't really be called a DeLorean anymore", now that's
just ridiculous. If you had heart problems and received a transplant,
do you think it'd be fair to say you "can't really be called David
anymore"?

A DeLorean is a DeLorean no matter what's powering it.

Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 16:00:40 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <dmcnews_list_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_y...> wrote:

> You will also de-value the car terribly. And just hope you never
> expect much resale from it. If the engine runs well, only minimal
> maintenance keeps it running great. Just reviving them after a 20
> year slumber sometimes takes a little tweaking. Your car will thank
> you for it. Go buy a camaro for 2 grand to run into the ground, they
> already come with a 305 V8 usually. Spare the Delorean it's dignity.

No, you won't de-value the car terribly. Come on, you folks haven't
watched custom DeLoreans sell before? That rotary DeLorean went for
$32k, did it not? I've seen V8 powered DeLoreans sell in the high 20's
- low 30's, quite a bit more than the ~$15-20k they would have been
worth otherwise.

You WILL be catering to a more limited market by abandoning the
purists, but only slightly so. The additional interest from the
general public (people looking for a super fast car) would far
outweigh that loss.

Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 09:24:20 -0700
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>
Subject: Grow up people!

It disappoints me to read this groups messages and see that members
have stooped to  mudslinging and personal insults. If I wanted to see
this, I would turn on the TV and watch the campaign commercials. Stop
acting like children.
Phil Priestley
Alessandros 120
http://alessandros120.com/
(503)370-9951

Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 10:05:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: What's the beef?

>From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
>
>>snip<<
>
>What's the beef?
>- VB

Constructive criticism...
When first on the DML seen you seemed to be just a gung-ho enthusiast out to help
the DeLorean community. While still gung-ho & enthusiastic, overnight you changed
to "sell" to the DeLorean community. All the while you desire free info from the
community. I understand that vendors are out to make a living and make a buck but
it seems the love for the car has turned into the love for green, that's my beef.

I don't have the entrepreneurial drive you have. I simply get joy out of just
helping other DeLorean owners/enthusiasts along with their DeLorean experience.

Ignore me*, get mad at me, learn from me... what ever...
you asked ... my 2cents.

(*) ... another beef:
When people offer FREE help in reply to a question asked. It would be nice to at
least hit the 'reply' & 'send' button with a simple "thanks" in between.

Shannon Y

http://vote.yahoo.com

Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 17:24:41 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

Ok, I gotta cut in here...

> Anyway I have a good mechanic friend that says
> there is a Chevy engine conversion kit for Jaguars that can be used
> on Deloreans as well.

I take it your mechanic knows all about engine swaps in DeLoreans?
Is he going to back up his work and stand behind you to work out all
of the issues?  What about mounts and the transmission bell?  Does
that price include those?  Electrical?

> The reason I want to swap is because that PRV is too much
> to maintain and too underpowered to keep.

What?!  I am not a mechanic, but I have performed EVERY repair and
maintenance routine on my DeLorean - correctly - using the vendors'
parts and support.  If I can do it, anyone can!  It's not rocket
science - it's a car.  A classic, exotic, no-longer-produced, movie-
star car.

If you purchased your DeLorean for the horsepower, you obviously did
not do your homework beforehand.

If you feel like you're alone now, think about the support you will
be losing from the vendors and the community if it's not a PRV6
anymore.

If you haven't read Owning an Orphan before, you should.  It's in the
Files section.

Like I said, you can do whatever you want.  You just sound like you
might be a new owner and maybe an engine swap isn't your answer.

Johnny

Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 18:18:37 -0000
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Funny sound behind dash?

Ah, yes I should have distinguished there. My bad. The engine IS
running when I hear the sound. It stops when I turn the car off. It's
not the fuel pump, because when I turn the key to accessory position,
that's a deeper type of a "whirr" sound. This faint buzz is almost
like a really quiet version of that sound newer cars made when you
had the key in the ignition and no seatbelt on, you know...(imagine
Jim Carrey here from Dumb and Dumber)
Thanks for any ideas though! :) -John

"Hey! You wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?" -Jim
Carrey