From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2267
Date: Saturday, October 09, 2004 8:25 AM

1. Re: Side Stripe Controversy
From: "Namlemez" <thecal_at_dml_optonline.net>

2. blue/yellow wire on starter solenoid
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

3. Re: Chevy Engine swap
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

4. Re: Side Stripe Controversy
From: "dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick_at_dml_aol.com>

5. Re: Side Stripe Controversy Small Stripe
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

6. Re: Door handles
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

7. Re: Side Stripe Controversy Small Stripe
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

8. RE: Re: Side Stripe Controversy Small Stripe
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

9. Backlit Dashes?
From: "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_myrealbox.com>

10. Re: Lockzilla or WingsAloft???
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

11. Re: Undoing Engine Swap
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

12. Continued: PRV vs Repower
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

13. Re: Re: Funny sound behind dash?
From: "Owen _at_dml_ Aerodrome" <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>

14. Mid-Atlantic Club's Fall Foliage Tour gets news coverage!!!!
From: Aaron Crocco <acrocco_at_dml_gmail.com>

15. Which year to purchase, 81 or 82
From: "racingzoom" <racingzoom_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. DMA Fall Tour Hotel options (For Less)
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

17. Re: Chevy Engine swap
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Delorean Mid-Atlantic Fall Tour - Parade Option
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

19. MANUAL TRANSMISSION SHIFTING
From: John Podlewski <john_podlewski_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. BATTERY LIGHT ON
From: John Podlewski <john_podlewski_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Values of engine swapped cars and more...
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

22. RE: Re: Chevy Engine swap
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

23. Re: Chevy Engine swap
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. any Fall Tour goer need a radiator? Or a little project box?
From: "Scott McMullan" <mcmullas_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

25. RE: Re: Chevy Engine swap
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 21:59:09 -0000
From: "Namlemez" <thecal_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Side Stripe Controversy

Not to derail the thread, but where might one find reproduction vinyvl
seat covers?  I was thinking about trying a repair kit but have low
hopes for it and hadn't heard there were reproduction covers available.

Or I might have just looked like an idiot not getting the joke...who
knows :(

Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 22:02:46 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: blue/yellow wire on starter solenoid

What is the function of the blue/yellow wire on the starter
solenoid?  Does this wire get +12V when the vehicle is running ONLY,
or only when cranking, or both?

thanks,

Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 22:24:13 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Chevy Engine swap

I figured I might get someone upset with my comment. There are
exceptions to any rule or example. You could do an engine swap and if
it is a really nice job you might get a lot of money but do you really
think that anyone made any money? Let's not count the shop that did
the work or the venders that sold all the bits and pieces.
Trnasplanting an engine is not really comparable to a heart transplant
so I think that is a bad example, besides, who would want to buy me
after that! IMHO the more you deviate from stock (in general) the
lower the value of the car. Service becomes a major issue as does the
quality of the work and the reliability and where do you get the parts
and just what kind? You can't call one of the Delorean venders for
help and you can't go to the auto store and ask for a part for a
"chevy engine". You MUST have model, make, and year. Many of the parts
will be custom fabricated so now where do you go for them? Some buyers
may either not care or realize what they are getting themselves into.

Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 22:42:33 -0000
From: "dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick_at_dml_aol.com>

Bill,

This is any EASY one...

There are correct seat covers being reproduced by DMCH that, from
what I understand apart from the striching color are exact to
originals (ie. leather seating serfaces and vinyl sides and back)
There are NO correct side stripes being produced by anyone.

So there is no controversy over vinyl seat covers because exact
leather repros are made...the controvesy (although I wouldn't use
that word JMHO) over the side stripe is because there aren't exact
repros being made

Michael
VIN #02944

Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 22:45:28 -0000
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Side Stripe Controversy Small Stripe

Why get a reproduction?  Most of the vendors still have the pinstripe designs.  I got mine
from Rob Grady a while back and had it put on professionally at a dealership (it turned out
the guy who put it on used to work for Consolidated International too distributing the final
cars).  The stripe is still sticking about a year later and it looks great.  It came in the
original box with the tool and instructions.

Patrick

Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 22:56:19 -0000
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: Door handles

Willem -

New metal door handle assemblies are available from all of the proper
vendors, including ourselves.

http://www.udelorean.com/dmcstore/BuyNow.asp?PartID=184&Qty=1

They come with illustrated instructions and can be installed easily in
an hour or so with basic tools.

Incidentally, they come with a lifetime guarantee, regardless of WHO
owns the car.

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
15023 Eddie Drive
Houston, Texas 77396 USA
http://www.delorean.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "willem_reyneke" <willem_reyneke_at_dml_y...>

Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 22:47:54 -0000
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

Mike -

Any of the proper vendors should have them in stock or be able to get
them for you - $75.41 new in the box.

http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/BuyNow.asp?PartID=2538&Qty=1

We install them here from time to time and have had no experiences
with "bad adhesive" on them. Point being, don't believe the hype
regarding all NOS parts...even those that people would have you think
might have age problems.

James

Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 18:02:24 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Side Stripe Controversy Small Stripe

Mike,
I might be able to make them also. I have a set in stock. As I said earlier,
I have a brother in law that is in the business.

> For my 2peneth worth.... or should that be cents??.... mores the pity
> i cant get hold of the smaller pin stripe side stripe / dmc
> logo???... id buy one of those if any of the people on here spent the
> time to reproduce.
>

> mike
> Yorkshire, UK

[duplicate quote trimmed by moderator]

Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 23:25:31 -0000
From: "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_myrealbox.com>
Subject: Backlit Dashes?

I recently began to think about an EL backlit instrument cluster
again, so I went to my bookmark for DART.  They're gone from the web.
 Does anyone know if there's still a source for backlit dashes for the
DeLorean?  Further, I'd love to see some pictures.  The guy who ran
DART sent me a small photo once, but that was all I ever saw.  He also
said that he kept the same needles and front-lit them, rather than
having light-up needles... did anyone ever go beyond that?

Thanks,
--Greg

Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 23:57:09 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Lockzilla or WingsAloft???

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "darryl" <darryl_at_dml_t...> wrote:
<SNIP>
I don't understand why anyone would want to keep waiting so they can
pay more for an unproven system if and when it is ever available.
<SNIP>

Easy. Almost every car out there on the road today has some sort of
factory badged, aftermarket parts line. MoPar, TRD, Nismo, Ford SVT,
MuGen, etc. These parts suppliers/developers serve two purposes: 1.
Performance Improvement & 2. Quality Recognition. Watch some of the
Car Shows on TV, or speak with some hardcore wrenchers of any marque.
Just as important as the result of using these products, comes the act
of telling others that you have purchased, and installed said parts
into your vehicle. Aside from fuction, use of specificly branded
products helps to further one's pride in one's own vehicle.

Whereas we DeLorean owners have nothing of the such, that has left a
void, and the 'Zilla line of products inadvertenyly filled that void,
to an extent. Don't believe me? Next time a group of you gather
around, listen to each other, and listen to how you all brag about you
cars. Everyone is quick to rattle off what 'Zilla products they have
installed. Infact, you guys & gals most time list them first, before
anything else. After all, who here last listed shoving a jumper into
the relay socket, in an efffort to prevent your A/C panel lights from
melting your car in the daytime, as one of the "mods" you've done to
your car? Hell, you can experieince the same thing by reading peoples'
web sites that they've built for their cars.

Now, I am not knocking the 'Zilla products at all. Like I've always
said, they've servered a dual purpose: Increase the reliability of the
DeLorean automobile, and draft a standard for what issues should be
corected in the DeLorean automobile (please remember what issues need
to be corrected, is a far cry from what is a better solution. I.e.
John Hervy's idea of isolating the power feed to the cooling fans is a
superior long term solution vs. PnP installation IMO). So, when you
have a reliable product line, with great marketing, that is what has
instilled such consumer loyalty.

Now, 'Zilla products are great IMO. HOWEVER, 4 years and nothing new
isn't exacly a good sign to me. Unless we hear something by years end,
I for one am willing to consider the 'Zilla product line defunct.

As for a product line brand name, we really need one. That alone would
REALLY inspire such loyalty to the vendors, and as a result inspire
pride, to feed that loyalty. "Hard Core Line", or DMCH's new: (Blank)
don't really inspire me to buy anything. Especially with such high
prices (exhaust system). I know that money paid to the vendors results
in better product development, and their continued existance. But
nothing there really jumps out, and *inspires* me enough to affect my
purchasing decisions for 100% vendor loyaty, if I've nothing to show
for it (keep the 'zilla factor in mind while reading this). I have
more pride telling people that I bought a new Swiffer mop, rather than
I donated money to feed poor people.

I'm a consumer, cater to my ego, not my sympathy.

Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 00:19:41 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Undoing Engine Swap

Look closely at my firewall -- fuel lines from & to the tank are tied
together and tucked out of the way (same under the luggage
compartment). Factory plumbing is all still under the car, including
accumulator and fuel filter. I opted to run a new low pressure line
and filter. Low pressure pump rides in a stock tank boot (within a
protective sleeve made from 2" NPT pipe & cap -- it's a smaller
diameter and non-submersible) and attached to the factory electrical
circuit. Definitely easily returned K Jetronic, but *WHY* would anyone
want to do that?

Frame extensions were necessary because my new motor mounts are in the
middle of the lower engine casting. Didn't have time or gaskets to
swap it before Pigeon Forge. Extensions were supposed to be temporary
(that's why I didn't paint them), but they are fast becoming
permanent. Are indeed bolted on, using stock motor mount holes. Weight
of the engine also holds them against the strongest corners of the
crossmember (extensions wrap around the crossmember).

BTW: These are prime examples of the problems that pop up one after
another during a repower. Are not catastrophic in & of themselves, but
they will drive you fair to crazy.

Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 23:57:47 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Continued: PRV vs Repower

One thing to consider about calling a repowered DeLo a "DeLorean":
nothing sounds quite like a normally aspirated PRV. They make noises
as distinctive as an air cooled VW. Even my modified exhaust can't
mask it. Close your eyes and watch the scene in the History Channel
documentary where they're loading the cars onto a ship to see what I
mean -- unmistakable. A repowered DeLo will still look like a
DeLorean, but it certainly won't sound like one.

On the same topic: To anyone attending upcoming Fall Foliage: notice
how distinctive 20-30 running DeLo's sound together in a parking lot
versus 20-30 vehicles of various manufacture (Aaron Crocco included now).

Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 17:22:42 -0700
From: "Owen _at_dml_ Aerodrome" <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>
Subject: Re: Re: Funny sound behind dash?

My key-in-the-ignition buzzer makes a pathetic, faint, intermittent squeak most of the time, instead of the normal whine.  Although this only happens when the the ignition is off, I guess it's possible it's what you're hearing.  In my case, I'm guessing the contacts are shot in the ignition switch -- sometimes it sounds normal.

-Owen

Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 20:55:15 -0400
From: Aaron Crocco <acrocco_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Mid-Atlantic Club's Fall Foliage Tour gets news coverage!!!!

Hey everyone,

  The Fall Foliage Tour 5 is coming up soon and we now have news
coverage!!  Everyone check out Newsday's write-up for our upcoming
show.

 http://www.newsday.com/business/autocorner/ny-sspit1008,0,6229519.column

  This show is going to be awesome with great sights and a lot of fun.
 Perhaps a couple suprises as well?  Either way, head on over to
www.deloreanmidatlantic.com and register for the show.

-Aaron Crocco
VIN 5591
NY Plate: OUTATYM

Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 00:48:37 -0000
From: "racingzoom" <racingzoom_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Which year to purchase, 81 or 82

I have started to look for a Delorean to purchase.

Looking at all the updates and recalls needed on the 1981 model.

 Would it be better to search for a 1982 ?

Thanks,

Gary

Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 21:01:39 -0400
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: DMA Fall Tour Hotel options (For Less)

I have been looking into alternative places to stay for the Fall Tour V
in long Island next weekend.

The Days Inn in Hicksville has rooms starting at $86 per night.  It is a
9 mile drive straight down Rt 107 to Glen Cove.
http://travel.travelocity.com/hotel/HotelAvailability.do?SEQ=10972835965
72982004&pathIndicator=HOTEL_MODIFY

Kevin Abato
Vin# 16680

Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 02:22:26 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Rich & group,

Maybe in some instances, you half to go many steps beyond tweaking,
and into complete rebuilding, I used the term tweaking as a hit and
miss scenario as you diagnos the systems that need to be replaced &
tuned for optimal performance. AKA the parts that fail, contaminate
after setting unused for years.

I'm all for better modifications to the Delorean, but when people
start basically ripping it apart to make it something it isn't.
Basically a chevrolet engine, porsche tranny, then specialized
plumbing & electricals to make it work, plus all the custom
fabrications needed to make it all work, then it isn't really a
Delorean anymore.

Makes for a fun maintenance & upkeep for anyone who inherits or buys
a vehicle like this.

Rich, the scale of vehicles you just mentioned, best scenario to
worst, sounds about right for modded cars. I'm not just for
Deloreans that have been stripped of the systems that make them a
Delorean.

You are a great example of someone who has been through a real
effort, and has still kept his car the way it should be. Excellent
job keeping it the way it should be, and maintaining it. And you
still can ask for help on the DML with your car.

Just imagine if your car had a chevy vortec engine, a custom
transmission, it's own fuel delivery & plumbing setup, how useful
would the DML have been then? That is my main beef when people
mainly cutomize or butcher just for a minimal speed gain. It is a
touring car, and for people that realize that, then this is the car
for them, for some it isn't.

I love the DMCH stage II & III engine upgrades, as they basically
are an evolution of the car in it's current form, not some weird one
off home job.

I'm not one who preaches NO mods, or fixes, I think updates & fixes
are great, and keep the cars roadworthy. I'm most likely going to
upgrade both cars to the newer style Radiator fans. Electrical
repairs & fixes are great. Maybe I gave the wrong impression when I
made the first post, the main point was for people not to destroy
the car just for a faster 0-60 time, or a faster street drag.

My thoughts were always for people to buy another car to do just
that before they destroy the current one just to do that.

Oh, and thanks for the tip on the accumulator, I'm much more
comfortable doing it now.

Later,

Joe OBrien

Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 21:08:23 -0400
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: Delorean Mid-Atlantic Fall Tour - Parade Option

DMA was recently contacted by Monclair State University in NJ asking if
a Delorean (or multiple Deloreans) would participate in their homecoming
parade next weekend where the theme is "1980s".  Since the parade is the
same day as the fall tour, and is on the way to NY (for some members), I
invite anyone who would like to attend to join me.  The Parade lineup
starts around 11:00 and should be done by 1:00-1:30 at which time I plan
to continue on to NY for the remainder of the Fall tour.

If you are interested in attending, e-mail me off the list
delorean(at)abato.net

Also, I have found alternative hotel arrangements for the fall tour
about 9 miles from the event that start at $86 per night.  See the link
below for more details.

Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 19:32:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: John Podlewski <john_podlewski_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: MANUAL TRANSMISSION SHIFTING

Trouble shifting from dead stop into first and second, it will not go in gear!  After that it is fine.  Is my slave bad, it doesn't seem to be leaking?

Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 19:48:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: John Podlewski <john_podlewski_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: BATTERY LIGHT ON

Battery light (discharge light) comes on under load (brand new 140Amp. Alt.) and new belt.
When over 3000 r.p.m's about 8 on the meter, A/C on, lights on used to be around 13!
But then fans shut down at the same time the light comes on then the fans come back on  and the discharge light goes out once I back off the power.
Seems to be related all wires seem to be tight and clean but I could always re-check any suggestions?
Could the battery not be charged completely just out storage (30 days) from all the Hurricanes?
Starts fine, though.

Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 03:08:48 -0000
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Values of engine swapped cars and more...

I think the rotary DeLorean sold in the mid-high teens, actually.
Someone on the list who knows for sure will chime in, I'm sure.

The Northstar DeLorean also sold in about the same price range. Last I
heard *for sure* it was in Idaho, but recently heard that it is now in
Texas, near Houston as a matter of fact.

I've *never* seen or heard FIRSTHAND of a DeLorean with an engine
conversion selling for anywhere near the high 20's / low 30's. I'd
like more details about these cars for my records, if you can supply them.

We've sold about a dozen DeLoreans in the last six months, ranging
from $7500 on up to the mid $40's, including "used" and completely
refurbished cars. See the "used" ones here:

http://www.delorean.com/sales.asp

These sales are reported to the NADA Classic, Collectible and Special
Interest Car Guide which (along with Cars of Particular Interest
(CPI)) is what most financial institutions and insurance companies use
as a reference for values.

Regards,

James Espey

------------------------------------
DeLorean Motor Company
Vice President
james_at_dml_delorean.com
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA
tel: 800/872-3621
tel2:281/441-2537
fax: 281/441-2813
http://www.delorean.com
------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 22:03:30 -0700
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: RE: Re: Chevy Engine swap

I think the proper phrase should be "...a poorly done engine swap with
little to no documentation will de-value the car terribly..."

Darkstar

Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 05:06:38 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

The rotary barly sold for just over 16k, it sold to someone who
didn't realize all the custom work done to it for 32k, then he/she
backed out. The it was on eBay a few more times before hittin the
max sum of 16K. That car had only been for sale for the short time
of almost 2 years before it sold on eBay for half of what was
invested in the car.

Mainly that was the point of warning for most, as it will be next to
impossible to recoup the investment, and your car will be less than
what is was. But to each his own literally. The main point was if
you want something to drag race, buy something else.

The only people who would be buying custom Deloreans so altered from
their original state for prices like that are people who know
nothing about the car, the kind most people dream about selling a
car to. You can tell them whatever you want. But then people are
just destroying the car, as this isn't a mass produced vehicle like
a Honda is.

Basically we should kind of be thanking the people that destroy
their cars with horrible modifications of the month, as they only
make those who maintain and keep it as correct as possible with a
higher valued vehicle in the long run.

This topic comes up kind of frequently as new owners expecting a
silver rocket ship buy these cars. I promise not to keep preaching
about engine swaps anymore.

Joe OBrien

Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 23:47:36 -0400
From: "Scott McMullan" <mcmullas_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>
Subject: any Fall Tour goer need a radiator? Or a little project box?

Having recently swapped my stock radiator and fans for a new 3-core and
quiet fan setup, I'm now looking for a good home for the removed /
functional parts.  I have one offer on the table, but to exercise that
option would require packing and shipping the thing... and I'd rather sell
the set to someone I can hand-deliver to... possibly at the fall tour that's
coming up Real Soon Now.  If you're interested, contact me off-list.

Also, I have a large number of fairly small (about the size of 2-4 packs of
cards put together, I have 2 different sizes), sturdy plastic boxes that
could be useful to hold some custom wiring projects or something.  The top
half is off-white, and the bottom half is a nice grey, great colors for our
cars.  They're held together with 4 screws that go into nice metal grommets,
there's a ridge where the 2 halves meet (likely not water tight but very
sturdy), and a 15-pin mail D-connector coming out one end, that connects to
some internal circuitry that I don't fully understand, but comes out very
easily.   I'm not looking to make any money on these, they've been taking up
space in my garage for longer than I'd care to admit.  I can supply pictures
if anyone cares (haven't taken photos yet or I'd post a link now), I can
bring some on the fall tour, or I can ship them to you for shipping costs.
Again, contact me off-list if you might be interested.

--Scott

Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 22:21:57 -0700
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

I thought I'd put in a few random thoughts...

I have done a few engine swaps (not a delorean) and know the lots of things
can come up. so if you decide to do this my recommendation is to be sure you
are doing this for the right reasons (as in "the engine has a spun bearing
or other serious fault") and that it is well documented.  you need to know
exactly where every part came from and any part number that you can get.  if
you are having running problems or tuning problems I would consider trying a
mechanic that specializes in k-jet systems (Porsche, Volvo, Mercedes, etc.).
It may be something simple.  Also know that you can get a lot of power outta
that engine with the right modifications (turbos, cam changes, etc) although
that can cost just as much but can add to the car.  the PRV6 is a light
engine, the Chevy is not.  Keep in mind that the handling will be very
different with all that weight back there.  I would also go for fuel
injection.  you will get a lot more efficiency and reliability out of a nice
EFI.  it might be helpful to save the old engine and make sure the swap is
"bolt-on" (sort of) so that it can be reversed if the next owner wishes it.

Well that's all that comes to mind now but given your current situation I
would reconsider the swap.

Darkstar