From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2272
Date: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 8:34 AM

1. Accumulators and interesting note about clutch master cylinders
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

2. Re: A new set of keys
From: Owen Emry <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>

3. Re: This lady loves her 1982 DeLorean
From: "azman3us" <azman3us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. RE: Dashes and Binnacles (reproduction parts)
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

5. Melrose Ford - DeLorean Parts
From: "James" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>

6. Speedometer
From: "gjl463" <gjlednicky_at_dml_comcast.net>

7. RE: Melrose Ford - DeLorean Parts
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

8. Re: Fuel Accumulators
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

9. Re: Fuel Accumulators
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

10. RE: Fuel Accumulators
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

11. Spark plug replacement
From: "secret_jedi_guy" <secret_jedi_guy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. RE: Melrose Ford - DeLorean Parts
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: Melrose Ford - DeLorean Parts
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

14. What is a "proper vendor" (was: Dashes and Binnacles (reproductions))
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

15. Re: Re: Delorean rear view camera
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. RE: 4X4s and hovercrafts
From: darryl_at_dml_techline.com

17. Re: Speedometer
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

18. Re: Melrose Ford - DeLorean Parts
From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>

19. Re: headlight blackout covers
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

20. "use of the DMC logo..."
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

21. Another TV sighting - Adult Swim - Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law - Back to the Present
From: Jeff Phillips <rvparty_at_dml_gmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 09:43:41 -0500
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Accumulators and interesting note about clutch master cylinders

I hope that all I will have to add further to this is that I can't agree
with what John is claiming because I just don't see it happening based on
the last 7+ years of accumulator sales/service history. "Reliable sources"
or no, I am willing to put my name to my statement that of last 500+ that I
can we've sold, I see none having been returned as failed. Again, all I can
look at it is our 7-plus years of experience SELLING as well as USING these
in our service facility.

You brought up clutch masters, and I don't think anyone sells NOS ones
anymore, they've been gone for six or seven years. All the proper vendors
only sell factory-fresh, brand new ones. In the past twelve months or so
we've sold 200-plus, and our shipments come direct to us from the factory,
so they're probably fresher than any rebuild, too. For all you automatic
guys, and those interested, here's what they look like:

http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=139&QTY=1

Of course, they're available from us as well as DeLorean Motor Center and PJ
Grady. About $160, the newest you can find.

Regards,

James Espey

------------------------------------
DeLorean Motor Company
Vice President
james_at_dml_delorean.com
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA
tel: 800/872-3621
tel2:281/441-2537
fax: 281/441-2813
http://www.delorean.com
------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 07:58:04 -0700
From: Owen Emry <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>
Subject: Re: A new set of keys

kevin creason wrote:
> If you can find the code above your door headliner you
> can get a "brand new" key, no wear, not tracer cut.
> The problem is that the two-key cars don't seem to
> have both keys recorded.
> Pull the headliners in your door, and look for a
> WR5xxx number-- that is your door code. A K7xxx
> through K9xxx will be your ignition. It usually ends
> with an "X" too but that letter doesn't matter.
>
> Anyway, get that code and go to any locksmith. Or
> better, call DMCH and get their replica key blank.

Sorry to revive this thread, but I'm striking out with the local locksmiths.  I'm got my K7xxx keycode, no problem.  One local locksmith found only WRxxxx codes under "DeLorean"; the other had nothing.  Is there something they need to look up other than DeLorean, or do I just need to keep trying locksmiths until I find one who has the right codes?

Thanks!

-Owen

Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:45:34 -0000
From: "azman3us" <azman3us_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: This lady loves her 1982 DeLorean

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "vegasdelorean" <vegasdelorean_at_dml_y...>
wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm new here.
>
> A few months ago, my incredible husband bought me a 1982
DeLorean ...

> Loving my car,
> Vegas DeLorean

Welcome to the Delorean family!

>From a local support point of view, we have a very active Delorean
Club here in Phoenix that includes several car from Vegas.  Please
look up AZ-D in the Yahoo groups and join in with the fun!

Randal

AZ-D Pres

Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 07:37:46 -0700
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>
Subject: RE: Dashes and Binnacles (reproduction parts)

James,

Please explain to us how you define "other proper vendors" when you refer to
who will be selling DMCH parts .

Gary
IN2TIME

Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 15:08:07 -0000
From: "James" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>
Subject: Melrose Ford - DeLorean Parts

A few days back I mentioned a dealer in Calf. that was selling many
different parts for some awesome prices.
Some of the little gems I found reviewing the parts list (which is
only part numbers and prices) are;
luggage rack set-up
front grille
thin grey "scotchcal" side-stripes
front spoiler
some louvres, I think
and they have DMC dealership sign.

But they have a 3 page list of parts they have. Which they'll fax to
you. But please be considerate, serious buyers only... this is a
normal Ford Dealership I'm sure they have other business to attend
to too.

I don't think they really know what they have. So it could be some
really good deals for everyone/anyone.

Keep in mind this was about a year ago I spoke with them, so things
may have changed since then. Please post if you call and find out
anything new.

Melrose Ford
3050 International Blvd
Oakland, CA 94601
(510) 437-8200 ask for Ralph in parts

Oh and, anyone who buys anything from them, bear in mind, you'll owe
me $349.99 finders fee. BUT I include shipping. (JK)

Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 16:27:50 -0000
From: "gjl463" <gjlednicky_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Speedometer

While driving down the highway this past weekend my speedometer
stopped working.  Before it stopped working there was a kind of
scratching, clicking noise coming from inside or underneath the dash
that lasted for about a minute.  I checked underneath for
connections but did not see anything.  I have not searched for what
this might be so I thought I would start here as I always get great
advice and tips!  Thanks!

Greg
Seattle, WA

Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:28:31 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Melrose Ford - DeLorean Parts

Don't bother calling anymore. The guy said "Some guy in Oregon bought
everything".

Now who could that be? ...   ;)

-Joe Kuchan

>From: "James" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>
>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [DML] Melrose Ford - DeLorean Parts
>Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 15:08:07 -0000
>

>A few days back I mentioned a dealer in Calf. that was selling many
>different parts for some awesome prices.
>Some of the little gems I found reviewing the parts list (which is
>only part numbers and prices) are;
>luggage rack set-up
>front grille
>thin grey "scotchcal" side-stripes
>front spoiler
>some louvres, I think
>and they have DMC dealership sign.

[moderator snip]

Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 12:36:23 -0400
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>
Subject: Re: Fuel Accumulators

Can anyone describe the materials in the fuel accumulator and the functions they play?

There are plenty of polymers that can handle exposure to gasoline, metal, air, etc. and last for centuries with no degradation.  Does anyone believe the polyethylene fuel tank will wear out from sitting empty?  Or full of fresh gas?  Or full of old gas?  I don't think so, not in my lifetime.  Polyethylene is very stable.

But there are some polymers that don't hold up so well, as anyone who has cleaned out a fuel tank of an improperly stored DeLorean can attest.

The key question is this: What's in the accumulator?  Are there parts made of polyethylene?  Polypropylene?  Old pencil erasers?

I do not know the answer, but my personal belief is that the accumulator is well designed and well built.  Mine is 23 years old and it still works perfectly.  If my accumulator dies tomorrow I will attribute this to cyclic loading or friction of a mechanical part, perhaps the spring, rather than chemical degradation.  I am open to changing my mind if someone can explain which part of the accumulator experiences chemical degradation and why.

- Mike Substelny
VIN 01280, 10 years

Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 19:02:00 -0000
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

I'm under the impression that most rubbers used in any parts are
dressed in some sort of powder to prevent deterioration/dry-rot.
Perhaps this can explain why NOS parts are holding up just fine. I
have a tire tube from 1950 that is still like brand new to this
day-and does have powder coated on it- If it didnt have this I doubt
it would have even survived 20-30 years...The powder absorbs moisture?
I'm not sure what else it defends againts. Dani B. #5003

Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 14:04:35 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Mike, I'll do one better. Here is the link to the Bosch page out of the
K-Jetronic catalog.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/delorean-accumulator.jpg

Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 19:50:46 -0000
From: "secret_jedi_guy" <secret_jedi_guy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Spark plug replacement

I need to change the spark plugs in my PRV.  I have the plugs,
tools, and gap info, but I am looking for a full walkthrough of how
to change them correctly.  I have done spark plugs in other engines
before, but I don't want to mess something up in there.

Thanks for the help!

Japheth VIN: 1223

Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 20:32:59 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

James - As you noted - things may have changed.  Shortly after we
launched DeLorean Parts Northwest, I took a road trip down to Oakland
and bought everything they had.  The dealers sign is in awesome
shape, and they had quite a selection of stuff.  They were very happy
to empty out two storage containers full of DMC parts.  You will find
them to be a normal Ford dealership now.  Sorry about that finders
fee ;-)

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 15:38:57 -0500
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: What is a "proper vendor" (was: Dashes and Binnacles (reproductions))

Gary Hull wrote:

> Please explain to us how you define "other proper vendors" when you
> refer to who will be selling DMCH parts.

That's an easy one. A proper parts vendor is one that is a "full-service"
facility - parts, mechanical service, body (stainless and fiberglass)
repair, car sales - much like you would get from a regular "car dealer".
Today, that would include Bauerle Automotive, DeLorean Motor Center,
DeLorean One, P.J. Grady DeLorean and ourselves.

There are a handful of areas that are in need of a dedicated DeLorean
service center, and these areas have the necessary number of cars (in our
opinion) to be able to do a good business and truly be a benefit to the
DeLorean community. These areas are: South Florida, the Pacific Northwest
and the Great Lakes/Chicagoland area.

Toby & Misty Peterson in Oregon are doing a great job with DeLorean Parts
Northwest, and when they are ready to open a service center, we think
they'll make an even greater contribution to the DeLorean community (and
probably find themselves with more work than they can do!)

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have further questions.

Regards,

James

PS - did you get that stripe artwork that you requested?

------------------------------------
DeLorean Motor Company
Vice President
james_at_dml_delorean.com
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA
tel: 800/872-3621
tel2:281/441-2537
fax: 281/441-2813
http://www.delorean.com
------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:41:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Delorean rear view camera

    I had to just sit in the car parked in the garage
for a good long while to decide where the screens
would go.  A couple of possibilities were recommended
and throught about.

I always liked the position of the screens on the high
end BMW's that we rent when working throughout europe,
yet there is no real good place on the center console
to mount the device and I considered on top of the
center vents but found that would look like some
amateur hack job.

It was recommended to remove the tach, which serves
almost no purpose on an automatic and put the screen
there, but that goes against my somewhat purist non
destructive philosophy. (should compliment, not
replace a component)

What is strongly considered is just to the right of
the center console where the passanger knee pad is.
Ill be making a small cardboard mockup and put the
screen in to see if I want to go that route.  Also
another trip to conrad to buy the box is in the works.

Mounted in a thin profile prokect box covered with
black leather, the box would be offset to angle
towards the driver like the BMW.  It will take time to
come out with a finished product but I dont have much
to do on the car this winter so here goes.

thanx

jordan
11613

PS   I found the pictures of the screen mounted in the
top of the door panel very interesting!

Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:41:59 -0700
From: darryl_at_dml_techline.com
Subject: RE: 4X4s and hovercrafts

Rich, I wasn't meaning anything negative toward your cars.  I know you
purchased the 4X4 and vastly improved it, as it was pretty crude when I looked
into getting it.  What I was referring to was the next guy, trying to copy you
with some half-baked attempt.  And the hovercraft part was squarely aimed at
the MG car.  That whole fiasco was ill-advised, and why people like Don and
the rest would contribute to such a negative effort is beyond me.  At least
your cars continue to "live" in modified form; that one was executed in front
of millions of viewers.  Not a pretty sight.

I'm hardly a puritan on this subject, having been a street rodder all my
life.  Heck, I even once pursued making a full custom out of a Tucker!  I also
parted out 6 DeLoreans that were far beyond saving.  But the older I get the
more I appreciate how these rare cars need to be preserved as much as
possible.  And yet I still wouldn't trade my blown car for a stock one...

Darryl T.

Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:18:30 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com
Subject: Re: Speedometer

Greg - Based on the noise that came from the dash area just prior to
complete failure, I believe that the two most likely suspects would
be the lower speedometer cable, and the lambda counter, in that
order.  Less likely would be the upper cable - they tend not to fail
very often.  I am in the PNDC roster - give me a shout if you need
help with anything.

Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 14:31:51 -0700
From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>

This is most disappointing. I was really hoping to have a chance and
desperately needed some of the stuff they were offering. They really bought
everything? Hopefully not just to resell at inflated prices.

Brandon Payne

> Don't bother calling anymore. The guy said "Some guy in Oregon bought
> everything".
>
> Now who could that be? ...   ;)
>
> -Joe Kuchan

---

Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 17:59:19 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: headlight blackout covers

In a message dated 10/7/2004 8:43:58 AM Eastern Standard Time,
stangboy70us_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:
<<I have been looking all over for these covers?  Can anyone PLEASE
help me find a set or direct me to someone that sells them?  >>

Hi- I looked too a few years ago. Definitely out of production unless one of
the vendors just started making them. A clear pair... way less cool than the
smoke gray... just went for over $200. on ebay.
Wayne A. Ernst

Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 17:59:23 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: "use of the DMC logo..."

In a message dated 10/7/2004 8:55:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Rustproof_at_dml_comcast.net writes:
<<The reason that operations were discontinued was simply due to a nasty-gram
sent to me from DMCH because of the use of the DMC logo. It simply wasn't
worth the effort.>>

Hi-
Though I've never yet gotten around to printing updated manuals as I have
long hoped, I have done a lot of research, including copyright and ownership
issues of DMC intellectual property.   This subject comes up from time to time,
and my responses, for some reason, have never made it past the moderators. Why?
Well, here goes... again.
James Espey of DMC Texas has frequently claimed that they own the rights to
copyrighted DMC materials.  He bases this claim on the purchase of the KAPAC
inventory of parts plus assorted paperwork and odds and ends. Is this how
copyright privileges change ownership? The US gov copyright office makes that
perfectly clear: NO.  DMC Texas is not JZD's company, is not the successor to JZD's
company, and did not buy JZD's company... or any of the company's copyrights.
Which explains why they're not on file with the government. So if DMC Texas
doesn't own them, and JZD's company is defunct, does that mean that they're open
game for anybody to use?  Again, the answer is no. If you want, you can take
your chances. But the copyright owner has a right to prosecute you.  In the
case of the DeLorean copyrighted materials, the owner has apparently never
prosecuted anyone.  So is it possible to determine who exactly owns the copyrights?
Yes. I spoke to the David Allard, Esq., the bankruptcy trustee for the
DeLorean case. He told me that the copyright privileges were officially transfered
to Mr. DeLorean as part of the bankruptcy settlement.  In fact, I went so far
as to ask Mr. DeLorean's permission to reprint the manuals. He was kind enough
to give me permission... in writing. I appreciate and have bought from DMC
Texas but I gag everytime I see this kind of _________ claim from James about
their supposed rights. (Fill in your own adjective in the blank!) I understand
they copyrighted a variation on the DMC logo just a few years ago, but that's
not anywhere close to a blanket ownership, is it? And it sure isn't based on
buying parts!  I'm almost surprised they haven't told the other vendors to stop
printing manuals. Here's a challenge: if I'm wrong, James, send me a copy of
the paperwork transferring copyright ownership from JZD or his company to DMC
Texas, and I promise to publically apologize for my error right here on the DML.
Deal?
Wayne A. Ernst
Bridgeton, NJ

Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 18:13:21 -0500
From: Jeff Phillips <rvparty_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Another TV sighting - Adult Swim - Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law - Back to the Present

Caught this one in a rerun last night, first aired on May 16, 2004 and
I saw no reference to it in the archives.  Adult Swim is the evening
programing of Cartoon Network, this episode featured the Jetsons
coming back in time to sue for the destruction of the planet
environment.  Featured the DeLorean in the last scene as well as an
appearance of Doc Brown doing his typical "Holy smokes!" and wearing
radiation gear.  It was a poor DeLorean to say the least, Astro was
tied to the rear bumper, and Elroy was in the "trunk" or for us DMC
types, he was in the engine compartment.  :)  Check the following for
more info:

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/GuidePageServlet/showid-5484/epid-320961

Anonymously avoiding admitting to having seen this ;)

Jeff