From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2274
Date: Thursday, October 14, 2004 7:30 AM

1. Re: What is a "proper vendor"
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

2. Re: Engine gaskets
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

3. Re: Re: Engine gaskets
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

4. Re: TV sorta sighting
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

5. Hazard Switch Illumination
From: "Stian Birkeland" <delorean_at_dml_netcom.no>

6. Re: 4X4s and hovercrafts
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

7. Who is Bauerle Automotive? [attn: Christian]
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Cricket in my transmission
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: Thoughts on brakes
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Re: Cricket in my transmission
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

11. AC compressor whining
From: "ryanpwright" <dmcnews_list_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

12. VideoBob's merchandise (was: Radio Upgrade)
From: "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_myrealbox.com>

13. Re: VideoBob's merchandise (was: Radio Upgrade)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

14. RE: AC compressor whining
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. RE: Re: Thoughts on brakes
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

16. RE: AC compressor whining
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

17. RE: VideoBob's merchandise (was: Radio Upgrade)
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

18. Transmission/Diff adjustment
From: nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com

19. Re: Thoughts on brakes
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

20. DMA Logo Contest Winner has been chosen!
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

21. Re: AC compressor whining
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

22. Clutch removal from Workshop Manual
From: "bluemax86" <massimot_at_dml_rushmore.com>

23. Re: aligning window seal
From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. New File-Parts inventory
From: "lomimagic" <lomimagic_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. Evaporator
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:26:16 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: What is a "proper vendor"

In a message dated 10/13/2004 9:47:15 AM Eastern Standard Time,
delorean_at_dml_framezero.com writes:
<<Forgive me, but who is Bauerle Automotive?>>

Dave Bauerle... he's in Ohio, a little too far for you!
-Wayne

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:25:39 -0400
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>
Subject: Re: Engine gaskets

John,
The engine has pretty low mileage (11,000), my thinking was even though the
mileage was low, the gaskets would be brittle regardless.  I would not
suspect any overheating or abnormal wear.  Thanks for your help!

Todd

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:23:20 -0400
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>
Subject: Re: Re: Engine gaskets

Thanks!

That was some great information, excellent advice.

Thanks again,
Todd

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 17:49:25 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: TV sorta sighting

While the subject of the new Monster Nation spin-off series was
mentioned, I would like to add that the profile of my Delorean
projects will most likely be aired sometime late December or in
January.  The video that was shot is in post production now, so
I will post an air date as soon as I hear back from the producer
(David R.) who works for Original Productions, Monster Nation.

Monster Nation will debut on Monday, November 1 and will be on
the Discovery Channel Monday through Friday at 7pm.  It is also
important to note that Monster Nation is NOT the same format as
Monster Garage and will always focus on vehicles and not drama.

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 20:01:13 +0200
From: "Stian Birkeland" <delorean_at_dml_netcom.no>
Subject: Hazard Switch Illumination

Hi,

I'm trying to fix my Hazard Switch Illumination. The switch won't illuminate. I've tested the switch, it's ok, Ive tested the bulb, it's ok. The contacts seem ok. And the hazard switch itself works, as do the hazard lights.

So probably something wrong in the main harness. Not a big problem, but since I have the centre console out of the car right now, I'd love to fix it.

Question:
What wires are supposed to illuminate the Hazard switch?

Looking at the harness plug, these are the slots going into the harness plug:

1  2      3   4  (top)
5  6  7  8   9 (bottom)

1=darkgreen/red stipe wire                5=green/brown wire + yellow wire
2=darkgreen/white wire                     6=EMPTY
3=black wire                                       7=Red wire
4=lightgreen/white wire                     8=purple wire + black wire
                                                             9=green wire

A testlight revealed that there is power only in contact 8. I guess this is the one for the hazardlight function (not illumination)

So - since the problem seems to be in the harness, is there a wire behind the centre console with power which I can splice with one of the above?

Very Best Wishes
Stian Birkeland
Norway

VIN # 06759

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:06:21 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: 4X4s and hovercrafts

Ryan and others interested,

Most of my comments about the MG hovercraft episode have either
been posted here or posted on the Discovery Channel website.  I
will not re-state all my comments, but I will correct the errors
and re-post the link to my comments on the show at Discovery.com

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/monstergarage/pass/weissensel.html

The hovercraft used in the MG show was not a Scat, like the Scat
seen in BTTF 2 outside the Cafe 80's, it was a HoverTechnics
HoverStar, which happens to have a hover base almost identical
to the bottom outline of a Delorean, 7' wide by 14' long.

The hovercraft used for my Delorean Hover Conversion, as seen at
DCS 2002 in Memphis was a Neoteric brand hovercraft.

It's also interesting to note that the UK version of MG built a
"successful" car/hover conversion out of an old Lotus.  On that
show the hover expert did show up and did some pre-fabrication
work before the show in order to meet the deadline.  Thanks to
Chris in the UK for sending me a copy of that show to review.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "ryanpwright" <dmcnews_list_at_dml_r...>
wrote:

> I have to weigh in on that hovercraft episode.
>
> First off, that Jesse guy is a punk, but I guess that's how they
> decided to pull in viewers. So, whatever. My real point is that
clown
> doesn't know a thing about hovercraft. The first attempt with
putting
> the panels on that Scat (that's the brand of the hovercraft, FYI)
was
> real iffy already. Those things only lift a few hundred pounds.
>
> When he came out and whined about the "lame" design, demanding the
> DeLorean itself be turned into a hovercraft, I immediately knew it
> wouldn't work. The car is way too heavy. You'd be hard pressed to
lift
> that sucker with it's own engine, let alone drive it around on a
less
> than firm surface. Doing it with the Scat's engine was simply
impossible.

> I'm no hovercraft expert, but I know enough; I'm building an 8
> passenger 20 foot Sevtec Explorer hovercraft in my garage. The
> completed craft will weigh about 1200lbs, engine included. It will
> have a 1400lb payload and needs 80hp to operate conservatively.
This

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 11:21:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Who is Bauerle Automotive? [attn: Christian]

Christian,
Dave Bauerle is a mechanic in Delaware, OH (North side of Columbus) who's been a
DeLorean owner & mechanic since '83 (maybe earlier). I have yet to hear anyone
say anything negative about him (except that their car sat for a long time while
awaiting work, but that's the owners fault not specifying a timeline).
http://www.dmcnews.com/links.html
You will be hard pressed to find a mechanic with as much honesty & integrity. Of
course I'm bias... so ask the list who has used Dave in the past. I'm sure there
will be an echo.

Contact info:
Bauerle Automotive
223 Curtis St.
Delaware, OH 43015
740-595-3348
740-362-0818

Shannon Y
16506
-----------------
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>
>>snip<<
Forgive me, but who is Bauerle Automotive?

-Christian

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:24:40 -0000
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Cricket in my transmission

That's really odd; I can relate as my DeLorean is my first stick ever
too. But given the fact that I'm 24, been driving for quite a while,
and was highly er, MOTIVATED to learn, I just jumped in, threw her in
gear and zoom. I've ground my gears before a bit, but nothing serious
has seemed to happen with my trans at all.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "jmlaux83" <jmlaux83_at_dml_y...> wrote:

> Alright, I made my first big boo boo with the car a few weeks ago.
> While still trying to get the hang of a manuel transmission car I
> accidentally tried to put my car in gear without pushing down on the
> clutch pedal first. It grinded for less then a second before I
> realized my stupid mistake. now when ever the car is moving and the
> cluch is not depressed it make a fast churping sound like a cricket
> but barely tuch the clutch pedal and it will go away.
>
> Also, sometimes when I put it into second it grinds slightly even
If

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:27:45 -0000
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Thoughts on brakes

Hey, thank you, I appreciate the advice! By the way, what about
calipers? Unless a worstcase scenario, I would seriously try to avoid
replacing/rebuilding the calipers as they are so expensive and hard
to find and/or fix. I'm not quite sure how new the ones on my DMC-12
are. I can probably get the rotor/pad/shim kit easily.

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:28:36 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

Jason - From what you describe, your "cricket" is probably the throw
out bearing making some noise.  When you apply slight pressure to the
clutch pedal, this loads up the bearing slightly, which can quiet it
down in many cases.  This may (or may not) indicate that the throw
out bearing is getting close to the end of it's service life.  It
could be just some slight contamination in there causing the bearing
to drag.  In regards to the "second gear grind", the DeLorean
transmission is known to have weak synchro's, particularly for second
gear.  It probably happens more when you attempt to shift quickly?
The first thing that I would do is to completely flush the clutch
hydraulic fluid, and change out the clutch fluid line to the upgraded
braided stainless line if not already done.  With  the better line,
fresh fluid, and a good bleed job, your clutch will function as good
as its going to.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:45:59 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <dmcnews_list_at_dml_ryanwright.com>
Subject: AC compressor whining

My AC compressor is whining. Actually sounds like a screaching noise...

- Doesn't matter whether the AC is on or off
- Noise varies in pitch with RPM
- Noise also comes and goes in same RPM band every time. I can hear it
from 1900-2200, 2800-3000, etc.
- Spraying WD40 between the pulley and the compressor stops the noise.
I have to repeat this every 1 - 2 weeks.

Question: Do I have to replace the compressor, or are there bearings
or something else in there that can be repacked/replaced/etc?

If I have to replace the compressor, I might be wise to convert to
R-134A. What is involved in this procedure? I have a local A/C shop
that I trust enough to do some of this work.

Thank you,

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:26:19 -0000
From: "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_myrealbox.com>
Subject: VideoBob's merchandise (was: Radio Upgrade)

I don't know what kind of 3.5" speakers VideoBob sells, but if they're
Pioneer TS-877s, they're $25 + whatever shipping at etronics.  Selling
them for $30 shipped doesn't seem immoral or anything... I really
don't get the recent tone of messages flying around lately.

I've seen ill behavior on the net before.  If anyone remembers Digital
Convergence and the free CueCat scanners from Radio Shack, you might
remember that they sent nasty grams and Cease & Desist letters to
people freely offering technical information on how to use the
hardware.  That is immoral and deserves to be condemned...  I haven't
seen any posts of VideoBob trying to silence people for giving
technical info.

If I wanted to buy some other DeLorean items at the same time instead
of a Head Unit and rear speakers, I'd probably buy from VideoBob on
this item instead of Etronics.  (although I think I'm going to try for
something with tweeters instead of the TS-877s)

Have I missed something?  Also, does anyone have any recommendations
for 3.5" speakers with tweeters that have a flush front?

--Greg

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:45:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: VideoBob's merchandise (was: Radio Upgrade)

Greg,

The TS-877s have tweeters.  They are still flush.  If you'd like, I'll let you know how they sound.  We'll probably install a set this weekend.

Jake in 1063

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 15:28:27 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: AC compressor whining

If it does it whether or not the compressor is engaged you have a bad AC
clutch. That should be separately serviceable by someone who has the right
specialty tools and skills.

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 16:22:16 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Thoughts on brakes

John, I rebuild Delorean caliper all the time as well as sell kit's if you
want to try to do it yourself.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/brakes-rotors.html

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 16:19:00 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Ryan, The bearings in the clutch are going or gone. They are on the web
site.

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 16:55:12 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Thanks for the support,
I appreciate it since it is so sparce.
The speakers are not Pioneer or any name brand that I know of.
I wasn't even planning on selling them, but I looked all over for some
speakers
that didn't have a tweeter in the middle and these were the only one's I had
found so I got a couple sets just in case someone else liked my find.
I was just offering what I had found, that's all.
The place that sells them is a little know electronics jumkyard.
If you live in Dallas I will tell you where to go and get them.

I have since found another solution of using a spacer-ring around the
speaker with nut extentions.
I might give that a try.

- VB

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 21:33:57 -0000
From: nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: Transmission/Diff adjustment

Hi, I have just replaced both the diff seals in my maunal
transmission, the problem i have is that on the adjustment side i
marked the nut, counted the turns etc etc.... but while i had the
adjustment nut out i washed it in solvent thus removing the black
mark i put on it!
It was one of those situations where i realised what i had done a
second after it was in the solvent but that was to late. I looked
very hard for left over marks and other ways to try identify where
it had been but had no luck.
I can get it within 1/2 a turn of where it used to be but not 100%
accurate. Is there a way or procedure to measure the correct tension
requiured. I am presuming that this is the adjustment for backlash
in the diff.
My appoligies if this is all spelt out in the workshop manual as i
am on my way to the garage to consult it now.

Cheers Nick -sydney10927

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 22:22:08 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

If the calipers are original, they are 23+ years old.  I
rebuilt/cleaned mine using John Hervey's seal kit and a lot of
naptha.  They aren't that difficult to rebuild.  You just need a
large bench vice to separate them and patience.  I did it with the
help of this list, (and a local machinist).

If you don't know the service history of the brakes, you should
consider rebuilding the calpiers, flushing the fluid, checking the
rotors and replacing all of the pads including the parking brakes.

It's a messy job that took me several days but I took my time and it
was totally worth it.

Johnny
5518

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:24:34 -0400
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: DMA Logo Contest Winner has been chosen!

Well.the officers have voted, and the winner of the Mid Atlantic Club
Logo contest is...

DOH!  We can't tell you yet!

The winner will be announced during dinner on Saturday night at the Fall
Foliage Tour V.  Its not too late to register and attend.
Check out our club website for details
www.deloreanmidatlantic.com

Kevin Abato
Vin# 16680

Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 00:16:44 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

Are you sure it is not the belt that has dried out? This is very
common and a dried out belt can really squeal and often has a range
of noise. WD40 will last for a while on a belt. Since it stops when
you spray up top it is probably not the idler bearings.

If the Clutch Bearing were bad the noise would stop when the
compressor is on. So it is probably not the clutch bearing. If the
noise is there when the compressor is off and on it is probably not
the compressor either. It is possible that some pieces are coming
off the clutch fields behind the pully and causing a rub that goes
away with WD40 but, I think it is the belt.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 00:54:55 -0000
From: "bluemax86" <massimot_at_dml_rushmore.com>
Subject: Clutch removal from Workshop Manual

Just a light hearted post that I thought I would share.

I just received my workshop manual DMCH and I was flicking throught it
when I came across the section on Clutch Slave Cylinder. The section
on removal has the following:

1. Raise vehicle on hoist
2. After engine exhaust has cooled, disconnect clutch line from slave
cylinder.
3. Remove 2 bolts securing slave cylinder to clutch fork.
4. Remove slave cylinder.

So removing the slave clutch cylinder should be a piece of cake! I
don't know what the fuss is all about :)

Max
PS. I hope I don't get in trouble for posting part of a page from the
manual.

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:10:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: aligning window seal

In my experience the plastic guide pieces on the
windows have aged poorly and spread apart, leaving too
much room for flex and the windows to pop off the
track. Also, the windows can go too low and fall of
the bottom of the track on one side.
There are fixes for both these situations.
Please consult archives... has anyone mirrored my
howto page I did on this procedure?
-Kevin

http://vote.yahoo.com

Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 01:24:22 -0000
From: "lomimagic" <lomimagic_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: New File-Parts inventory

Hello
Thank you to all who have been shopping at my store

www.stores.ebay.com/hunadmcparts

I have had request to see the entire inventory list so I have
posted it in this groups FILES section as DMC Inventory.htm

****READ THIS NOTE    DISCLAIMER******

All parts APPEAR to be NEW and in good condition.
Parts tags attached and in DMC plastic bags.
I am not the original buyer of the parts, and the shop owner(my
brother) banged his head crashing the aerobatic plane so he is of no
help.
Some items may be superceeded- I have no idea
You are much more knowledgable about them than me.
If something is no longer a viable part pleased let me know
Pics available of all items

This is a clearance sale. All items go
       NOT A PRO PARTS BIZ

Thank You
Tom Lewis

Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 01:47:06 -0000
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Evaporator

I've been wondering...My evaporator-the tube that connects to the
accumulator has split apart, so basically the tube is in 2 sections
instead of 1 piece. I am wondering if this can be aluminum welded,
will it hold the pressure and last? Since this has happened a few
years ago I've since removed the compressor and lines, but if I can
fix the evaporator I will put everything back. Any other way this can
be fixed witout spending 500 bucks? -What do you guys think? Thanks
-Dani B. #5003