From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2277
Date: Friday, October 15, 2004 8:06 AM

1. Re: "use of the DMC logo"
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Re: "use of the DMC logo"
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Avanti II (Trademarks)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 05:04:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: "use of the DMC logo"

Bob,

Be careful not to confuse copyright and trademark.
They are not the same.

Wayne touched on both issues because he was talking
about reproducing the service manual, which has a
copyright..  My discussion was focused on the Logo,
which would be covered by a trademark.

I admit, I have been lazy and misused the terms myself
in the past.  However, your example about music is
copyright, not trademark.

Marc

http://vote.yahoo.com

Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 05:10:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: "use of the DMC logo"

By signing such a contract, you would be recognizing
DMCH as the true owner of the trademark.

I have a contract to GIVE you the Brooklyn Bridge, I
will send it over for your signature.

<SNIP>

http://vote.yahoo.com

Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 04:39:29 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Avanti II (Trademarks)

Actually Studebaker was still very much in business -- just not the
automobile manufacturing business -- when a die hard devotee decided
to carry the flag just a little further with a small company hand
producing Avanti II's. Were called "II" to distinguish their Chevrolet
suspensions and drivetrains from Studebaker's proprietary originals (a
source of great consternation among purists). The "Avanti Motor
Company", or some such name, licensed all trademarkable aspects of the
car from the Studebaker Corporation. Studebaker itself did not cease
to exist until the late 1970's, at which time it was purchased as an
ongoing concern having never once even filed for bankruptcy.

In a similar automotive vein, contemporary Chrysler trademarks such as
"Eagle", "Spirit", "Premier", "Concord(e)", etc, were all assumed when
it purchased AMC, also as an ongoing concern that never filed for
bankruptcy.

(Even more importantly, Chrysler also inherited AMC's engineers who
promptly proceded to develop the only recently succeeded LH platform,
then the Neon (PT Cruiser) and Durango, while its own people were
shuffled to dying "Extended K" projects (they did manage to pull off
the first generation minivan, flawed as it was). AMC personnel also
totally revamped Chrysler's use of outside parts -- an area in which
they were arguably the best ever in domestic automobile manufacturing
history. IMHO AMC saved Chrysler).