From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2282
Date: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 9:28 AM

1. Re: Re: PDC's Redesigned Trailing Arm Attachment
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

2. Painting Fibreglass
From: nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com

3. Re: Re: PDC's Redesigned Trailing Arm Attachment
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

4. RE: Trailing Arm Bolt Removal
From: "Dismukes, Marc E" <marc.e.dismukes_at_dml_lmco.com>

5. RE: Painting Fibreglass
From: "Kevin Milliken" <kevin.milliken_at_dml_btinternet.com>

6. Re: Re: PDC's Redesigned Trailing Arm Attachment
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. DeLorean Cadillac - Lakewood OH - DMC for sale
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Continued: PDC's Redesigned Trailing Arm Attachment
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

9. DCS fall foliage tour
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

10. Fall Tour 5
From: "turbodmc3113" <turbodmc_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. Re: Trailing Arm Bolt Removal
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

12. RE: Painting Fibreglass
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

13. Fall Tour
From: "LJScarlet2" <ljscarlet2_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. gas tank
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>

15. Re: Fall Tour
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. DMC For Sale
From: "Larry Donn" <lumpyd2003_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Las Vegas
From: "orbitrocks" <orbitrocks_at_dml_hotmail.com>

18. RE: Fall Tour
From: "Scott McMullan" <mcmullas_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

19. RE: Fall Tour
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

20. Re: DMC For Sale
From: "geek123y" <service_at_dml_techno-concepts.com>

21. RE: Mid-Atlantic Logo contest Winner Announced!
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

22. Re: Gas Mileage - a data point
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

23. Re: Las Vegas
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

24. Prototype cars (DMC-24)
From: "Jay Gosciniak" <gotojayjay_at_dml_aol.com>

25. Symptoms of bad TA bolts
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 22:02:24 -0500
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Re: PDC's Redesigned Trailing Arm Attachment

The Pearce design uses a Heim  (a.k.a. spherical rod end) that actually allows movement in all directions - like a ball joint.

The Bauerle setup is more like you describe - it actually puts a certain amount of additional stress on the trailing arm itself and the bushing. Look closely at the geometry as the arm moves thru its arc - there's a reason Lotus did not capture the outside of the trailing arm bolt. In the original design it HAS to move around a bit at the end with the nut on it.

The Pearce design is completely different. It is also not compliant (i.e. there is no rubber in it at all) so it's logical to assume that the car will ride a bit harder in the back, and having driven one, it does.

Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 09:41:55 -0000
From: nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: Painting Fibreglass

Hi, this is a question i posted a while ago but didnt see it come
through to the list?
Before i put the frame back under in the next few weeks i would like
to re-paint the engine bay in a Black Satin. Just after other
peoples thoughts or experiences with painting over fibreglass. I was
thinking of a light prime maybe, then 2 top coats of acrylic black.

Cheers Nick
10927-Sydney

Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 03:36:32 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

The trailing arm does indeed require more movement.  Not
only does it pivot around the bolt, but it pivots within the
bushing as the rear wheels move up and down.  The trailing
arm twists as it rises - that's why the bolt is not put into
double shear.  The rubber bushing provides some compliance
and isolation.  A similar joint is used on the Esprit, although
the execution is somewhat different.

You can't consider any single joint in a suspension in isolation.
You have to understand all of the loads being applied to the
joint in all cases, which means understanding how the suspension
works as a whole, in all ranges of motion.

-------------- Original message from Marc Levy : --------------

Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 08:43:54 -0500
From: "Dismukes, Marc E" <marc.e.dismukes_at_dml_lmco.com>
Subject: RE: Trailing Arm Bolt Removal

Does anyone have any photos of the Trailing Arm area and the bent bolts.
I am performing a 24 Yr maintenance on my "82 (VIN 1071) as we speak.

	Marc Dismukes
	WFD, TX 76087
	Office: (817) 655-7556
marc.e.dismukes_at_dml_lmco.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Noah <sitz_at_dml_o...> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 02:27:06PM -0000, David Teitelbaum wrote:
>
> > It turns out the bolt would turn inside the bushing but it was
SOLID
> > in the trailing arm. The shop was very surprised when it took 20
TONS
> > to break it loose and get it out of the trailing arm. It turns
out
> > also that the bolt was bent by the head and corroded inside the
> > trailing arm.
>

> Just for the sake of illustration, any chance of pics of the bad
> bolts?
>
> > This would have caused electrical problems. Most owners
> > have never seen the underside of their cars but everything under
there
> > is VERY IMPORTANT.
>
> I agree completely; my car "looked" fine, but I went out and bought
> tobytabs regardless, just for peace of mind. Low and behold, the
> driver-side bolt was bent (not much; was able to pry it out with a
LOT

Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 15:08:18 +0100
From: "Kevin Milliken" <kevin.milliken_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: RE: Painting Fibreglass

Hi Nick

I had a fibreglass kit car many years ago and that had to be painted because
the gel coat did not have a very good finish.

They had to use a Primer Etcher base coat otherwise the paint will peel.

I hope that helps

Kevin #5959

Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 07:01:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Nice!

I should have paid closer attention to it in PF and
Memphis...  Maybe when I am in the market to buy one
myself! LOL

Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 07:22:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DeLorean Cadillac - Lakewood OH - DMC for sale

FYI,
If anyone is looking for a DeLorean, DeLorean Cadillac in Lakewood, OH has and
Automatic '81 for sale. Good condition. Asking $13,900 - negotiable.
216-226-2250 ask for Chuck (Gazz?)

Interesting tidbit...
Mark DeLorean (owner of said company above) has a-never-been-titled DeLorean in
storage!

Shannon Y

http://vote.yahoo.com

Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 14:25:01 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Continued: PDC's Redesigned Trailing Arm Attachment

I guess that's the price of (near) permanence.

Don't forget that all our rubber bushings will eventually disintegrate
too, requiring yet another repair in this suspension area.

Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 11:47:39 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DCS fall foliage tour

Hi
Just got back from the fall foliage tour and I must say that Chris and I
enjoyed this one I think the best of any of the previous shows.

We didn't drive far and we didn't do some of the other things we usually do
but it was one of those events that was just a lot of fun.

We spent most of the time near the hotel area and had fun dinners.

My thanks to all for this show it was a much needed break for me and we  will
be back for the next tour

Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 16:02:39 -0000
From: "turbodmc3113" <turbodmc_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Fall Tour 5

Well we completed the 5th DeLorean Fall Foliage Tour!
Special thanks to PJ Gradys for helping to sponsor this event as they
have for the last 5 years and supporting the Mid Atlantic Club and
our beloved Delorean Motor Cars!
Ken and Chris Koncelik (not that it needs to be said but the people
who put on the incredible DeLorean Car Show) and David and Sue
Teitelbaum who all Donated prizes for our club raffle.

I want to thank everyone who participated in this event!

If you are not a member of the Mid Atlantic Club please join us.
It is through the support and participation of DeLorean owners like
you that make DeLorean owner ship fun and exciting.
A strong club is the best way to maintain and enjoy our cars to the
fullest.

Regards,

Michael DeLuca
President DeLorean Mid Atlantic
http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com

Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 16:25:24 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

What shots in particular? I have a garage full of parts and a digital
camera....

Dave S

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Dismukes, Marc E"

Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:03:09 -0400
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

In the process of restoring my D I have found that the PO's have tried spray
painting the fiberglass. This usually only lasts a short while and then
begins to fade and peel. Leaving it looking blochy and chipped.

I found that using acetone to remove any paint from the pontoon body parts
and then applying a Mothers Back to Black or other coating gives a more
permanent and even looking color.

Dave Sontos

Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 16:37:25 -0000
From: "LJScarlet2" <ljscarlet2_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Fall Tour

To everyone at the Mid-Atlantic club who reads this, thanks for a
great weekend.  I had so much fun and can't wait for the next event.

Oh, and I found myself counting rocks and signs on my way home ;)

Lauren

Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:21:33 -0400
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>
Subject: gas tank

For those following the saga of the dragging gas tank, this is a final report.

I ordered a used one from Josh Haldeman and he sent to me via UPS. The tank arrived here faster than the postal service delivered the money order to him! Those DeLorean owners concerned about ordering parts from some other members can relax a little when dealing with a responsible vendor. The tank was so well wrapped, padded, and boxed, that even in Hurricane Frances, Charley, or whatever, this thing would not have been damaged. My wife will be snapping the bubble wrap for a week! The tank was clean, & baffle installed. It was not that difficult to wedge into position when someone else, stronger than me, with a commercial floor hoist, and arms like Popeye pushes, screams and shoves it in. I did the rest myself!

Garage door opened, I laid the pump gently into the tank, hoses were hooked up, clamps secured, gas poured into the tank as well as spilling some into the spare tire well. After wiping the spillage, and waiting for the air to clear, key inserted, prayers made, and my baby purred again.

Drove it this morning to a photo shoot for a November business magazine article on what vehicles some business people drive.

After laying dormant in my garage for about a month, the car never ceases to amaze me what a thrill it is to get behind the wheel of the dream.

Marv.
# 17077
marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com

Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 10:44:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Fall Tour

Did you use your string to make sure the rocks were
within 10 ft of the road??

I too had a great time.. Thanks again to the the
DeLuca's, and the rest of the DeLorean Mid-Atlantic
group.

http://vote.yahoo.com

Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 18:47:39 -0000
From: "Larry Donn" <lumpyd2003_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DMC For Sale

I have a 1981 #5210. Grey auto with 10,400 miles. I live in CT and
need to sell this car. The car is in good shape but needs some TLC.
There is 1 small ding on the hood (Which has style lines and no
flap). It runs well but will need a tune up and an accumulator. Also,
the door locking on the drivers side will need to be fixed (Zilla
should work). The interior is in good overall shape. the tires have
only 1000 miles on them. The last owner replaced the grey carpet with
black (I don't know why). Seats are not ripped. The headliner is
perfect. Everything works fine (windows, wipers, lights, clock)
except the radio. It is the original and it works but not great. The
Power antenna is new also. The dash was recovered by the last owner
as well. I am looking to get $16,000 o/b/o. Please email me if
interested or with any questions at larry.donn(at)citcomm.com or call
my cell 860-608-8226.

Larry

Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 20:16:13 -0000
From: "orbitrocks" <orbitrocks_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Las Vegas

Is there a Las Vegas-based DeLorean club?

JW

orbitrocks_at_dml_hotmail.com

Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 17:56:05 -0400
From: "Scott McMullan" <mcmullas_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

If anyone cares, I assembled a very few of my photos from the fall tour into
a nice little arrangement.

http://www.sixgeeks.org/~scott/DeLorean/falltour5

And due to a quirk, there is actually one picture after the last one listed,
you'll need to hit the "next" button to see it (can't get to it from the
text navigation on the left)

I only had half my pictures available when I threw this together, so it
might change over time.

Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 19:03:58 -0400
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

It was amazing how a road rally shows you how well you do or DO NOT get
along with your navigator!  ;)

Who would have thought that counting rocks (twice....while re-tracing
steps from your mistakes)would help you win.

Kevin Abato
Vin# 16680

Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 23:36:04 -0000
From: "geek123y" <service_at_dml_techno-concepts.com>
Subject: Re: DMC For Sale

 I have a 1981 #2700. Black 5 speed with 34,500 miles. I live in FL
looking for a good home
Car is in very very good shape everything works no dents lots of
extras
and i have all the original part too
im looking for new project car for the winter
you can see all the details on WWW.FLDMC.COM starting at $26,000 B/O

Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 20:36:50 -0400
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: RE: Mid-Atlantic Logo contest Winner Announced!

I have a page dedicated to the Logo winner.  You can see it here:
http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/updates/updates.htm

Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 20:19:52 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Gas Mileage - a data point

In a message dated 10/17/04 9:59:58 PM Central Daylight Time,
mcmullas_at_dml_bellatlantic.net writes:

> .  Whatever it was, I have always wondered if 30MPG
> was really a pipe dream... now I know it's not out of the realm of
> possibility, even for me, a regular guy.

I know what you talking about.  When I first got my car the idle system was
all messed up and even though the car ran fine, it wasn't *right*.  Since then
I have 100% sorted the engine, idle, and fuel systems out and on the trip to
pigeon forge I regularly almost hit 30mpg, and that was with myself and a
passenger as well as a week's worth of luggage at 80mph.  Since getting everything
sorted, i have noticed that my car runs very well in town, doesn't feel slow
or sluggish at all. It is my belief that most people who are unhappy with their
car's performance either have an automatic transmission or their car is NOT
sorted out very well - though it may appear to run 'fine'.  Your fuel economy
will speak volumes!  A properly maintained and 100% running car is a lot of fun
to drive.  I rarely find myself wishing for more power.  there is a definite
sweet spot that can only be found once everything is spot-on.

Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 20:57:58 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: Las Vegas

JW

There is no organized LV DeLorean club.  However, LV D owners do get
together when we come to town.  November 5  will be our 4th meeting this
year.

Are you the new D owner in LV?

BOB

Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 21:15:21 -0500
From: "Jay Gosciniak" <gotojayjay_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Prototype cars (DMC-24)

I was wondering if anyone knew what happened to the prototype Deloreans, did
they get destroyed? Does anyone here own one of them? And does anyone have
information on the DMC-24? I heard it was a four seat delorean sedan.

- Jay Gosciniak

Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 02:09:32 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Symptoms of bad TA bolts

Other than visual inspection is there away one can diagnose bad
trailing arm bolts by driving, handling characteristics? Curious, as
I wouldnt want anything to happen and dont always have the luxury of
a lift available.

Thanks guys
Harry 2696