From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2283
Date: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 9:58 AM

1. hey everyone I am new to the delorean mailing list
From: "Jay Gosciniak" <gotojayjay_at_dml_aol.com>

2. [ADMIN] Unsigned Posts
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

3. Anyone need a set of rear shock collars?
From: "bluemax86" <massimot_at_dml_rushmore.com>

4. [ADMIN] Vendor posts
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

5. door seal
From: "zeilner0" <zeilner0_at_dml_yahoo.de>

6. Proper operation of mode switch
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 21:14:51 -0500
From: "Jay Gosciniak" <gotojayjay_at_dml_aol.com>

Hello everyone, my name is Jay Gosciniak and I am new to the mailing list
and am seriously interested in Deloreans. I am a sophomore at NCHS in
Naperville Illinois and am saving like CRAZY to buy a delorean. Just wanted
to introduce myself.

- Jay Gosciniak

Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 21:40:07 -0500
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: [ADMIN] Unsigned Posts

Thank you all for your inputs on the "unsigned posts" topic. After some further consideration by the moderators, we've decided not to specifically change the policy, but you will see some impacts.

Based on the fact that, on the internet, a signature is a pretty transient and unverifiable thing, we are not going to categorically reject unsigned posts. We DO encourage you to sign posts, at least with some repeatable identity if not your real name. This tends to keep everyone on friendlier terms, make it easier to get to know people when you do meet in person, and generally makes for a better attitude on the list.

That being said, anonymous or pseudonym posts will be handled in a much more stringent manner than posts from identifiable members, and anonymous posts trolling for inflammatory responses will no longer be processed.  We are also going to get a bit more adamant about keeping on topic - in other words keep your politics, religion, and legal opinions off the list. These topics don't seem to serve a particularly useful function on this list, are never resolved, and there are plenty of other places to voice your opinions on non-DeLorean topics.

As always keep in mind that there are five moderators, with varying tolerances for what gets through. This is also part of the list's "feel", and is probably not going to change. Most of this is spelled out in the rules of the list (http://www.dmcnews.com/Admin/rules.html) but is worth reviewing from time to time.

Dave Swingle - on behalf of the moderation team.

Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 05:14:08 -0000
From: "bluemax86" <massimot_at_dml_rushmore.com>
Subject: Anyone need a set of rear shock collars?

I just replaced my shocks with a set from Marty. I thought I would ask
if anyone wants a set of rear shock collars before I throw them out (I
also still have the shocks). Just hate to throw things out!

Max

Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 21:49:04 -0500
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: [ADMIN] Vendor posts

We've been getting a lot of off-list mail regarding the policy about vendor posts. This is covered in two places:

http://www.dmcnews.com/Admin/vendor_rules.html
and
http://www.dmcnews.com/Admin/rules.html

Rather than repeating all that, here's a short interpretation that we attempt to follow:
-- A "vendor" is anyone offering DeLorean-related parts AND/OR service for sale on an ongoing basis. My definition, not necessarily the dictionary's.

--Vendors are welcome to note their specific solutions to problems posted on the list. Posts referencing solutions unrelated to the initial problem will be deleted (i.e. pitching a fuel accumulator in response to a wheel size post).

--Vendors are welcome to post a one-time announcement of something new to offer.

--Repeated posts within a short time of the same product will be deleted. Obviously on a list like this the same questions come up from time to time, that's where moderator discretion comes in.

--Posts offering items unrelated to DeLorean application will be deleted.

--Relevant and thoughtful commentary based on first-hand experience with specific products or services is welcomed. If we let Vendors post, we sure aren't going to stop product/service reviews from users. We won't allow personal attacks on vendors themselves.
Some other thoughts...
In general, like any other information on the list, the moderators are not personally checking out the usefulness of a particular product for its intended purpose, the pricing compared to other sources, etc. If you think something is a screaming deal, buy it. If it's overpriced to you, don't. Not everyone has the time to chase down parts all over the internet and many may find that something made readily available is worth the extra cost compared to leaving work early, driving all over town, and arguing with some guy at an auto parts store about what will and won't fit a DeLorean.

Keep in mind that the vendors are offering a valuable service to the community, including research and development, carrying inventory, taking your phone calls all hours of the day etc. Many of them are making a full-time living at this and if you don't like their profit margin you are welcome to do your own work. If you don't like the way someone does business or treats you on the phone, then use someone else. They will get the message.

Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:14:08 -0000
From: "zeilner0" <zeilner0_at_dml_yahoo.de>
Subject: door seal

I tried to mount the inner seal on my passenger door. But after
mounting, the door wonīt close any more. I couldnīt find an other way
of mounting. Is there a trick, or can I get a seal that fits? Please
help a new delorean owner in Austria

Gerhard

Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 05:41:26 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>
Subject: Proper operation of mode switch

What is the proper operation of the mode switch? In other words, where
should I get air on the various settings?

Here's the deal: I get A/C just fine on the three A/C settings, but
there isn't much of a difference between them. The airflow is boosted
slightly when on max. Mid and low appear identical. When the
temperature is switched to hot, "vent" directs air at my feet,
"heater" doesn't seem to direct air anywhere, and "defrost" seems to
direct more air toward the windshield but not as much as I'd expect.
If I switch the temperature over to cold, all of this changes
completely!

So I dug into it tonight. The dreaded previous owner screwed up my
vaccumn lines. I did my best to sort them out, following the diagram
here (http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/images%5C730.gif). There was an
extra T where one shouldn't be, another with a missing hose, etc.
Anyway, I think it's all as it should be now, but the situation hasn't
changed any.

I've:

1. Rebuilt the mode switch. There are no vaccumn leaks that I know of
either up front or at the engine - doesn't mean they aren't there,
just that I don't know of them. :)

2. Sealed (as best as I could) that foam behind the heater box with
some duct tape.

3. Tried to sort out the vaccumn lines, I THINK they're correct, but
who knows.

Any thoughts?