From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2290
Date: Saturday, October 23, 2004 9:34 AM

From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: rick abarca <stangboy70us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com

From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

From: Daniel Shane <daniel.shane_at_dml_btinternet.com>

From: Daniel Shane <daniel.shane_at_dml_btinternet.com>

From: Martin Gutkowski - DMUK Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

13. Re: End of life for idle ECU's
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Brake Upgrades?
From: "Dan" <copper_trace_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Delorean aftermarket
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. stripping paint
From: "Jay Gosciniak" <gotojayjay_at_dml_aol.com>

17. Mid-Atlantic Club Fall Tour Website - Complete!
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

18. delorean in tucson, az
From: illyana delorean <illyana_at_dml_mindspring.com>

19. RE: Brake Upgrades?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

20. RE: stripping paint
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

21. Re: (Evansville) AutoFest Car Show 2004
From: "gullwingmagazine" <gullwingmagazine_at_dml_juno.com>

22. AW: Brake Upgrades?
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

23. Re: Re: Rewiring the AC Panel Lights
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. AW: End of life for idle ECU's
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

25. Re: Delorean Frame for sale
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 12:59:19 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: End of life for idle ECU's

I recall that recently, we've had 2 or 3 cars, who's idle would occasionally,
and randomly for no reason whatever jump from 700/900 to 2000 RPM's and
perhaps reset once the throttle linkage microswitch had been opened and
closed by tapping the accelerator pedal. The cause ended up being failed
ECU's and someone mentioned that we may be seeing the "end of life" for
these computers.

Twice lately, I've felt a surge while driving and this morning I was at a stop
light and the engine jumped from 775 to 2000 RPM's until I tapped the pedal.

I'm now up to around 40k miles on my car. (Just so you know how many hours
have been logged on the ECU).

These appear to be developing auto-transmission governor computer style
failures. Has anyone been tearing a failed ECU down to figure out what
component has been failing and whether or not it's feasible to repair them, or
would a new but unimproved ECU from a vendor be a safe buy?

Rich A.

Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 06:13:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Rewiring the AC Panel Lights

Geeze, I had completely forgotten that I'd written that. I made up some of those wires for one of our tech sessions way back then.

Chris

Richard <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca> wrote:

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "birdwell77095" wrote:

> Sometime back someone wrote about rewiring the AC panel lights so
> that they come on only when the headlights are on. Can someone send
> me instructions?
>
> Shannon
> 16113

Look here: http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/acpanellites.htm

Hope this helps. ;-)

Richard Rowe

Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:14:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Here's an update on that post by me. The addition of the 10 ohm resistor is courtesy of Bruce Benson and this is my current setup. No pun intended.~g~ Well, maybe...... The addition of the resistor dims the lights when on and reduces the heat as well as making them look more like the rest of the lighting.

Subject: A/C Panel Illumination

Maybe it's time to run this tip again since there are many new subscribers.

If you are tired of your A/C lights being on all the time and the heat

damage this can do to your radio, here's a simple fix. Remove the access panel

behind the passenger seat exposing the relays. Facing the rear you have a

bottom row and a top row. Count three from the left on the top row and

remove it. Save it ( it's the same as some of the others and can be used as a spare).

Get two 1/4" spade connectors and a 10 ohm resistor. Put a spade

connector on the wires on each end of the resistor. One end goes in the bottom slot ( closest

to you ) and the other goes in the slot to the right. Before you put it all

back together start the car ( no illumination ) and then turn on your lights

( illumination ). When you have assured yourself that everything works,

button it back up. There is a whole electrical diagram that will tell you

why this works, but it doesn't really matter. The usual disclaimer applies.

Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:21:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: rick abarca <stangboy70us_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: steering column bushing

( This was discussed in several posts just a couple of weeks back. That's why it's a good idea to use the archives to save some time and reduce redundancy in the daily postings.  Moderator )

Does anyone have any instructions on replacing this on
the D?  I have heard you can do it without taking many
things apart.  If not, can someone direct me to a site
or a how to?  Thanks.

Rick

http://vote.yahoo.com

Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:56:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Rewiring the AC Panel Lights

Shannon (16113),
Even easier is to replace the AC panel relay with one that is missing the center
spade. A couple bucks at RatShack.

Shannon Y
16056

--------------------------------
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 13:29:19 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I might have another solution to this problem,
I have finally found some LED lights that plug directly into the console
without modification
that are a decent price, and do not get warm and are pretty bright too.
I am running some tests on them first before I officially anounce them.
In the past, the LED's I had found were about $10 each which was totally
unaccepatable.
I should be able to offer these pretty cheap if I buy them in bulk.
I think that there will be enough people out there who will want these.
This will also help for those who are going the all LED route.
I have a few customers who are doing that, and replacing every single bulb
on the car
with LED's, which is cool at a car show because you can leave the running
lights
on all day without loosing much battery power.

However, I also think that the conversion you mention is worth doing either
way.

Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:12:21 EDT
From: ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Fuel Economy

"#1 Fill your gas tank first, reset the tripometer.
#2 Drive till it is  almost empty.
#3 Fill the tank.
#4 Divide the gallons filled by the miles  driven and you get your MPG.
Impossible to do this by judging 1/4 tank." ~  Quote from Mark V

Technically, this shouldn't matter *too* much.  Yes, you'll get a much  more
accurate MPG rating this way, but if all he's getting is 36 miles out of a
1/4 tank (this is what, 3 gallons?)... something has definitely gone terribly,
terribly wrong.

I agree with John; replace your O2 sensor.  Then check your  braking systems,
etc etc.  Look under your car; are you sure you don't have  a fuel leak
somewhere?  Then make sure your fuel-sending unit = A-OK.   A false reading from
the gauge could "emulate" other problems.

Just my $0.02.

Regards,
William F.

Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 19:26:31 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

Well, from my experience, this doesn't work on automatics.  Unless I
follwed these instructions incorrectly, the AC panel just stays off
when it's setup.

Johnny
5518

Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 22:05:53 +0100
From: Daniel Shane <daniel.shane_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: steering column bushing

Hi Rick

I did mine and it only took a few hours to
do properly.

Remove both knee pads on the drivers side, undo the
upper knuckle and remove it's bolt, remove the two 17
mm bolts holding the column and unplug the 3
connectors from the switch gear.

Then you can remove the complete column, replace the
bush and re-fit.  Easier to refit if there are 2
people doing it as getting the splines on the column
to fit into the knuckle can be very tricky on your
own.

I can highly recommend DMUK's replacement lower bush
as is not made from polyurethane like the original.
Is a much tougher material.

Dan

Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 22:10:24 +0100
From: Daniel Shane <daniel.shane_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: End of life for idle ECU's

Rich,

The UK Delorean Owners club has details on there member site on how to
repair the Idle ECU.  Not too hard to do.  But before doing it make sure the
Idle Motor is buzzing when the ignition is on but the engine not running.
If not I could be this sticking or bad wiring running to it.

Take it off, check the wiring and clean the idle motor with carb cleaner.

If you need the details on how to repair it I would advise going to the
clubs website, www.deloreans.co.uk and asking Chris Parnham if he can send
you the details.

Dan

Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 23:46:31 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMUK Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Don't be so quick to blame the ECU. Check resistance across pins 9 and
11 on the plug going to the ECU. If it's open-circuit, the idlespeed
thermistor has cacked, or the plug's developed a poor connection. This
has the same effect

Martin

Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 20:03:21 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

Remember the Deloreans fuel gauge is not accurate at all, not even when
it reads empty. Come on i can fill my tank and it says full and then
drive around about 5 miles or so and it drops down between 3/4 and
full, are you telling me i burned almost a 1/4 tank in 5 miles?

Like i said it is impossible to do this by judging 1/4 tank on a
Deloreans inaccurate fuel gauge. The only accurate way to to this while
the fuel tank is in the car is top it off, drive it till near empty,
fill it up and check the mileage like i said in my last post. Your way
is not accurate.

Mark V

Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 01:22:20 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

My idle ECU died at 9,600 miles on the 81 you saw in PA. After a new
idle speed motor & ECU, all is well again.

Since I have you for a second, where did you get the LED's you use
in your AC panel? I've looked around, but with no luck?

Later,

Joe OBrien

Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 02:57:09 -0000
From: "Dan" <copper_trace_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Brake Upgrades?

I've been searching around... does anyone make any or figured out a
conversion for larger disc brakes?

Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 03:18:56 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Delorean aftermarket

  Ive always wondered, Detomaso Panteras have done well in terms of
availability of performance parts and service, and have commanded
pretty high prices on the street. I dont think there is a Pantera out
there that is all original in this day and age. Most Pantera vendors
perform repowers in addition  to restorations so what's keeping the
Delorean vendors from doing the same? Are we all interested in just
keeping them running or original? What do you guys think? I was at an
auction where a 1985 Pantera went for $85,000 restored cosmetically
but Rodded to the teeth by one of the Marque vendors. Admittedly, the
Pantera has a Ford engine, thus making things abit easier but still,
it was one of the stars of the show and obviously not original. Does
the Delorean community frown on this sort of thing? or is DMCH in the
only pioneer with a vision for this? Although, 197hp isn't enough to
blink at in exotic car world. I was driving my friends Lotus TT
earlier and felt the need to vent.

Harry VIN #2696

Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 22:43:03 -0500
From: "Jay Gosciniak" <gotojayjay_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: stripping paint

Hey everyone I have found a delorean for about $8,000 around where my
grandfather lived, except that it is painted red, is there any way to strip
the paint? Would I have to get it professionally done? Thanks! - Jay

Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 23:35:35 -0400
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: Mid-Atlantic Club Fall Tour Website - Complete!

Sorry it took me so long, but the Delorean Mid-Atlantic Club's Fall Tour
V web site is now done and ready for you all to view!
Check it out at   http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/updates/updates.htm

Enjoy!

Kevin Abato
Vin#16680

Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 22:18:22 -0700
From: illyana delorean <illyana_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: delorean in tucson, az

I don't know if the driver of this D is on the list, but if he is, I
was the crazy person honking and waving at you at the corner of Sabino
Canyon and Sunrise around 6:30 this evening in Tucson.

illyana

Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 00:39:22 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Brake Upgrades?

What are you looking for in larger disk brakes. Delorean front are Germany
front and British rear.

Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 00:39:53 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: stripping paint

You might want to learn more about the history of the car first,
sometimes owners would paint thier cars to cover up bad hail damage or
etc....
You should be able to strip the paint using paint removers and even
stripping it off with
brushes, and then re-grain the steel.
- VB

Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 07:06:53 -0000
From: "gullwingmagazine" <gullwingmagazine_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Re: (Evansville) AutoFest Car Show 2004

Shannon:

We missed you too!  The AutoFest was nice.  We had 11 1/2 DeLoreans
there and 16 people... it was fun.  I won the award for our DeLorean
class, and Ron didn't make the top 5 or the top 65 list!

The "Starsky & Hutch" Ford Torinos finally beat us for the "best club
participation" award.

Sorry I can't answer for the club about photos being posted on the
site, but if there's no response to your question, let me know and
I'll be happy to e-mail you a few!  We had a great time.

See ya,
Cheryl Wester

(http://www.midstatedmc.com)? I

Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 09:11:11 +0200
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: AW: Brake Upgrades?

Yes, check Ed Uding's website , he's from the Netherlands.

http://www.dmc-service.nl/

here it is directly:
http://www.dmc-service.nl/Uk/Index_Uk.htm

I have them on my car along with the larger calipers of
the Ford Taunus/Granada/Capri.

Ed sells them with spacers so you can reuse your calipers.

I can't tell if they are much better then stock because when I had
to replace mine, my discs were warped very bad.

Elvis

Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 00:08:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>

worked fine on my automatic.   see link below

jordan
11613

http://retroserver.no-ip.com/delorean/aclightfix.html

Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 09:23:23 +0200
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: AW: End of life for idle ECU's

Rich,

I am taking one apart at the moment and I almost have the schematic
completed.
It is absolutely no problem to replace parts in there. But it doesn't have
the
problem of the tranny governor, not at all.

But what I can tell so far is - it seems as BOSCH wanted to sell a
reasonable
sized plastic housing with something inside. This something needed to be a
PCB
stuffed with electronics. No matter what it does it had to be filled
completely.

I am not ready yet, but it seems as I could throw out about 50% of the parts
and get a better idle afterwards.
At least the goal is to improve idle by replacing parts in there.
I heared a lot about vacuum leaks or O2 sensors that make the idle hunt.
But why should that be ? That's what a regulator is for - to keep things
constant even when the parameters vary.

Within the next weeks I may come up with a solution to improve it.
Fixing the regular PC is no problem at all, let me know if you need help.

At this point thanks to Don Steger who got ma an old ECU to play with.
You guys really should check out his chrome rims....

Elvis& 6548

Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 03:27:03 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Delorean Frame for sale

In a message dated 10/22/2004 12:11:32 AM Eastern Standard Time,
funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com writes:
<<Would that frame work on an 81 5 speed?>>

The 5 spd and auto frames are different since they mate up with different
style and shape trannys.

Wayne