From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2294
Date: Monday, October 25, 2004 9:03 AM

From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

From: "Steve" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "Joe Thome" <joethome_at_dml_jps.net>

From: "ferdaniraphael" <raf40_at_dml_wanadoo.fr>

From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

From: "Brent W. Lundgren" <brentlun_at_dml_netrax.net>

From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

From: "Charlie" <charles_az1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "spaceboy_2912" <seanmm_at_dml_alltel.net>

From: Tom <dmctom_at_dml_earthlink.net>

From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Fans cycling
From: John Podlewski <john_podlewski_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. RE: Re: stripping paint
From: "Jason Sisto" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 09:45:59 EDT
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: End of life for idle ECU's

Dave T or anybody else.  My idle is pretty darn solid when I  disconnect the
wire going to the idle speed motor.  It hunts bady when  connected.  Is this a
clue as to where the problem is?

Dē & 6530

Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 13:54:15 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: End of life for idle ECU's

Elvis If I may hazard a theory here, I would say that it all boils
down to response time and integration.

The ECU's (I just can't bring myself to call them "computers") are
designed on old ideas using old components. They also don't
communicate with each other. They simply chase inputs and don't have
the response time to keep things stable when the engine is severely
out of tune from fuel or ignition problems.

I also believe these systems fight each other because they don't
communicate. The idle ECU is only chasing RPM's without regard to
emissions status and the Lambda ECU is trying to regulate emissions
without regard to RPM'S. They don't care what each other is doing.
Newer cars (I believe) are much more integrated in their control
systems.

Still...I wouldn't have it any other way. I enjoy trying to meet the
conditions necessary to make all of these systems play nice with
each other causing the engine run as it was designed. Notice I don't
say "run better". I've seen engines that ran great, with good power,
passing emissions and decent fuel economy but with half of the
systems being bypassed. I want to have my cake and eat it too.

Rich A.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_g...>

Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 10:54:47 -0400
From: "Steve" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>
Subject: Re: Door Question

I am in the Fort Lauderdale, Fl area.

Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 11:22:06 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Delorean in junk yard

My friend was near Gary Indiana on Saturday the 23rd and saw a complete
Delorean in a Junkyard along with some other exotic cars. This is all
of the info i know, he forgot to get the name of the junk yard.

Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 16:54:41 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: ASI stereo operation

I have installed my "Ebay special" ASI stereo. I don't have the
operations manual for it.

Can someone please clue me in as to the proper combination of
buttons to set the clock?

Thanks,

Rich A.

Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 16:55:15 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

I recently worked on a car for a nearby owner that had a
hiccup-hunting type problem. It would idle smooth and had a regular
repeating bump up and down in the idle. Rob Grady tried to smooth it
out but the owner didn't want to spend a lot of time (read money) on
it so Rob had to leave it alone. I figured I "knew better" and just
had to substitute a known good idle ECU and maybe a Lambda ECU. My
origional theory was some kind of interaction between the different
control loops. As pointed out the ECU's only communicate with each
other by their interactions on the motor itself. I figured they were
chasing each other's tails so-to-speak. Ater swapping the ECU's and
several other things that we could think of WITH NO EFFECT I had to
think of something else. I started looking for vacuum leaks. I found
the "O" ring to the cold start valve under the mixture unit was out
and the brass piece that holds it in was sliding around on the tube. I
got the brass piece and the "O" ring back correctly and although it
made a BIG   difference, it still hunted a little. I still suspect
multiple vacuum leaks under the intake manifold but we didn't have the
time to "go digging" in there. In any case the owner was happier with
the improvement. You would think a vacuum leak would cause a constant
effect, not a cyclical one but I have seen it with my own eyes. Anyway
there was nothing wrong with any of the ECU's. The moral here is you
HAVE to correct ALL vacuum leaks or the control systems cannot work
right. Vacuum leaks also have a cumulative affect ie, many small ones
add up, not cancel out. I have done several motors and when you do all
the seals, "O" rings, and gaskets you can have the idle very smooth.
For Elvis where he notices a sudden cahnge in the idle it could be as
the motor warms up and one of the warm-up systems which uses vacuum
goes on or off he has a vacuum leak which is causing that, not
anything with the idle ECU. Of course you HAVE to have a tuned up
motor with clean fuel injectors, good ignition wires and good compression.

Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 17:01:09 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Brake Problem

The steel brainded hoses can probably fail the same way. The only
difference is that they are covered in a steel braid so they don't
expand as much so your pedal will feel firmer. They are still rubber
inside. The main thing is you know they are not 20 years old yet. The
old hose I took off you can blow through so it is not easily obvious
how it failed but the fact that when I replaced it and the problem has
not reoccured would mean that it was failing in some manner.

Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 10:12:05 -0700
From: "Joe Thome" <joethome_at_dml_jps.net>
Subject: RE: Auction in Merced, CA

I don't know anything about the Merced car or the owner but more than a year
ago I was told by someone that there was someone who lived in Merced who
owned a DeLorean that he had bought new. At the time this person had seen
the car in a new car dealer's garage having some minor work done to it. If
my memory serves me right I believe it was at the Merced Volkswagon dealer.

Joe

I received some information earlier this month about an auction in Merced
that took place
today, the 23rd. The list of items showed that an '81 DMC was up for
auction, but no other
information about the car. Unfortunately I was unable to attend, so I'm
wondering if
anyone here attended or knew anything about the car. Probably a long shot,
but thanks in
advance.

Ian

Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 17:25:20 -0000
From: "ferdaniraphael" <raf40_at_dml_wanadoo.fr>
Subject: Door strut lower bolt

Hi
I discovered that the lower bolts of the door struts were loose,
cause their mountings were broken in the fiberglass. I removed the T-
panel...
Anyone had this problem ? how you would cure it ?. I guess I have to
unbolt the quarter panels to access these mountings, it seems like
some kind of reinforcing plate is glued to the fiberglass.
Thanks for your help
Raphael

Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 17:35:14 -0000
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Delorean in junk yard

I know of this "junk yard".  I drive by it usually twice a month
when I visit Chicago.  I've stopped in to inquire about it but never
meet anyone...just 2 mean looking dogs.  I don't believe the place
is a junk yard.  I think they actually do service cars.  Its just
that they have a mucn of exotic cars there too.  I'll check it out
again the next time I drive by.
FYI: the car there is an 81.  With Indiana plates.  I have video and
pics of it at home.

Erik

Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 13:16:46 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Delorean in junk yard

Eric,

 where is this junk yard?  I know a number of junk yard owners and may
be able to find out some info.

BOB

Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 13:10:38 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

The only stainless steel braded hose I have seen and sell is braid over
Teflon. Normally about 3000 lb's rated. It also normally doesn't expand like
rubber.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/brake-lines-set.jpg

Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 15:59:28 -0400
From: "Brent W. Lundgren" <brentlun_at_dml_netrax.net>
Subject: Re: ASI stereo operation

On the ASI radio, you will see two small recessed buttons, one on either
side of the larger buttons under the display.  Take a toothpick or a bent
paperclip and insert it into the hole to set the time.  The left side is
hours, the right side is minutes.

Brent

Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 21:04:55 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

Unfortunately, having no idle problem is a function of having
everything else working and adjusted correctly.

Open throttle plates are a common cause of your symptom. You might
check that because the engine should die when you disconnect the
idle speed motor. Also, be sure the brass idle screws are closed.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 22:03:56 -0000
From: "Charlie" <charles_az1_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Up to date DMC Belfast Plant Photos

A while ago somebody said they had pics of the DMC Factory as it
looks today and when they are tearing up the track..  I just wonderd
if that was up yet or somewhere on some website??

Thanx
CG

Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 22:20:13 -0000
From: "spaceboy_2912" <seanmm_at_dml_alltel.net>

If Im not mistaken I believe it is actually a yard that sells off
insurance claim vehicles. By this I mean if an agency views the
vehicle as being less then its worth in a claim they pay off the
claim then auction the car off. I believe I saw this particlar
vehicle come up on the auction about a month agao but did not see if
anyone won it, its gotta meet a reserve. There are hundreds of these
yards across the country. The auctions are held via the internet
through a company that handles the insurace vehicle sales.
Maybe its the one you saw
Sean

Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 19:21:24 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
From: Tom <dmctom_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: A/C headlight modification

If you go to my web page you will find the instructions for making this modification.

http://www.geocities.com/outatime81/wirepage.html

It's very easy and I have done this on both of my cars with no problem.   I didn't bother with the resistor.  It's not really needed.  I checked with Don Stegar at DMcenter on this.

If you have any questions let me know.

Tom

Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 16:55:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Brake Upgrades?

Hi Dan.  One thing that makes larger rotors a
challenge is the small, 14" stock fornt wheels.
There's little room for larger rotors.  On the Type S
build-up I was able to install two-piece 13" vented
rotors up front with 4 piston calipers, but only
because I was also upgrading the front to 17" wheels.
There are some pics and information on my website, but
I'll also be going into more detail about the
conversion in upcoming articles in DCS Magazine.

=====
Steve

VIN 2650 ("Project Delorean")
www.projectdelorean.com

http://vote.yahoo.com

Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 18:31:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: John Podlewski <john_podlewski_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Fans cycling

Fans cycle on _at_dml_ idle for about 5 seconds then off for another 5 or so, very noticeable.  What gives wires seem fine and connections are tight, the same results _at_dml_ higher R M P's too.  New Alt. and the fan fix is installed for about 6 months with no problems until now.  Except A/C stopped blowing cold at same time.
Any suggestions?

Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 22:51:42 -0400
From: "Jason Sisto" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>
Subject: RE: Re: stripping paint

Check out http://www.sk1pper.com/paint_removal.htm

E-Mail skipperlandry_at_dml_cox.net <mailto:skipper_at_dml_sk1pper.com>   He removed the paint before on his Delorean.

I also have a red Delorean and was considering removing the paint and he pointed me in the right directions.

Jay