From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2299
Date: Thursday, October 28, 2004 9:57 AM

From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Andrew <aos+yahoo_at_dml_boom.net>

From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

From: "westleymills2003" <westleymills2003_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

8. RE: Getting pulled over :)
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. Re: Door LED's
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

10. Re: LED's for the center console
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. faulty volt gauge..
From: "painterdave72" <painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Re: looking for stock tool kit/jack parts
From: "Owen _at_dml_ Aerodrome" <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>

13. pickup sensor
From: "Owen _at_dml_ Aerodrome" <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>

14. Re: Getting pulled over :)
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

15. Re: Getting pulled over :)
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

16. Re: Diagnostic plug
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>

17. Re: Diagnostic plug
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

18. Re: Re: Diagnostic plug
From: "Ed Garbade" <edgarbade_at_dml_hotmail.com>

19. Re: alternator ground?
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

20. Re: LED's for the center console - I GOT THEM!
From: "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_myrealbox.com>

21. Re: alternator ground?
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

22. Re: faulty volt gauge..
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>

23. Wiring for Door Locks and Headlights
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>

24. Re: Door LED's
From: "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_myrealbox.com>

25. DeLorean on Ebay
From: "maryroseberg" <maryroseberg_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 18:29:59 -0000
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Getting pulled over :)

Hello everyone,
Recently I got pulled over by a police officer who said my turn
signals were "white" and not amber/yellow. As compared to the reverse
lights, they are definitely a shade "yellow-er" and both work fine.
(Personally I  think he just wanted to pull a DeLorean over. He
thought it was really cool.) Anyone else have a problem like this? It
could be just the plastic lenses are faded from age for me, or I
might need to put a straight amber bulb in there. I recently replaced
the boards/bulbs with the PJ grady ones last month.

Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:15:40 -0500 (CDT)
From: Andrew <aos+yahoo_at_dml_boom.net>
Subject: Re: alternator ground?

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Matt Spittle wrote:

> How is the alternator grounded?  Please don't say through the
> alternator mounts.  :)

Should we lie or just not respond?

(It's through the alternator mounts.)

-andrew

Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 16:46:26 -0400
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

If you are referring to the battery ground, its at the frame on the right
side by the engine.

How is the alternator grounded?  Please don't say through the
alternator mounts.  :)

thanks,

Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 23:01:29 +0200
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: AW: alternator ground?

Thru the Alternator mounts ;-)

Elvis

Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 20:37:47 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Sorry - it IS thru the alternator bracket, AND that bg braided wire
that goes around the passenger-side motor mount.

Dave

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_p...>

Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 22:59:50 -0000
From: "westleymills2003" <westleymills2003_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Getting pulled over :)

sounds like your indicator lenses have faded a commom problem on ds
from hot places etc

Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:56:29 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

You will find that you will be harrassed quite a bit in this car,
I get pulled over all the time for stupid exuses, here are a few recent
ones:

* Didn't stop behind the white line at a stop sign
* Pulled into the farthest lane in a left hand turn (instead of the lane
closest)
* Thought the car was "stolen" because he thought there was only one in a
museum.
* Going 106 MPH in a 65..... okay, I deserved that one!

Happens all the time, get used to it.

As for your rear lenses, personally I would just replace them.
DMCH has a great kit they sell that replaces all of your lenses pretty cheap
or you
can get just the tails, but for now try sticking a couple amber 1156's in
there will work fine.
You can get 2 for $1 at Wal-Mart.

- Videobob

Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 17:15:31 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

This fall my son had his car at a nearby car show. Also at the show were
many police officers with various cool-looking custom painted cruisers that
their department used for community relations purposes. A couple of state
troopers were admiring my son's car and we struck up a conversation. One of
them admitted he always wanted to pull over a DeLorean because he thought it
would sound cool over the radio when he called in the vehicle description
for the stop.  ;)

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 16:01:14 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Door LED's

Yes, they do make them.
(sorry, not trying to keep plugging my stuff, just answering questions)
I don't have them listed on my site yet, but they do make them.
They are basically a cluster of about 19 really bright red LED's mounted
onto a
1156 bulb mount.
They are really bright but the light pattern is not quite as spead out as a
regular bulb,
they tend to be brighter in the center but are still very visible and bright
red.
The do "pop" on and off very quickly in the blink of an eye.
If you think you might be interested in them please send me a private
message.
I buy this stuff in bulk and get a discount, and also give free shipping so
it is usually
cheaper to get them from me.
- Videobob

Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:50:45 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: LED's for the center console

... just to mention, in my console kit you get 4 white for back light,
2 red for the "lock doors" and "fan fail" and one amber for "defrost".
- Vdieobob

Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 23:17:09 -0000
From: "painterdave72" <painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: faulty volt gauge..

Hi everyone.. anyone ever have their volt gauge on the dash read wrong??
Mine is not readijng right cause i checked the charging with a volt meter and it
is right but the gauge on the dash is reading like ten volts when fans and all
are on but the volt meter is at fourteen.. it is fine when the car is running with
no accesories on.. where does this gauge ground at?? could it be a corroded
ground?? Does it ground with the bunch of wires on the left front frame or
somewhere else.. Thanks. Dave..

Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 16:05:21 -0700
From: "Owen _at_dml_ Aerodrome" <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>
Subject: Re: Re: looking for stock tool kit/jack parts

> Just a daft thing... why is there two jacks shown on the parts
> page??, mine is the one at the bottom with the ratchet
> handle ....seems strange why they would change it?

And mine is the other.  Who knows...

-Owen

Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 16:33:42 -0700
From: "Owen _at_dml_ Aerodrome" <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>
Subject: pickup sensor

What are the electrical outputs of this sensor?  It wasn't very clear from the technical manual.  Is it a switch?  Does it count revolutions or does it count every tooth on the flywheel?

-Owen

Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 03:39:00 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

You can replace the tail light lenses (expensive) or you can try using
amber colored bulbs in the turn signal spot on the tail lights.

Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 00:47:38 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

Harassmed quite a bit in this car is a very great statement. Every
time I'm at the pump getting gas, ill notice a police car pulling off
the road a little ways away, making sure a 20 year old guy didn't
steal a weird fast expensive looking car. Thats not even limited to
the gas pump,  ive had my plates run probably a thousand times by now.
Harassed?-getting pulled over for my license plate lamps being
out...(both out seemed quite odd to me so--) when I asked the officer
if I could check them real fast he said actually I saw you go past my
house fast in this car, by getting his badge number and the name of
his supervisor, He isn't on the force anymore ;). Speeding is
obviously the fault of the driver and therefore not harassment, but
this car is like a magnet for cops. Dani B. 5003.

Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 01:04:20 -0000
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Diagnostic plug

OK Here's the scoop.

1) I measured the dc resistance of the "TDC Pick-Up" at the
Diagnostic Socket.  It was 53 ohms cold and went to 57 ohms after the
car had warmed up a bit.

2)  I put an oscilloscope on it and got squat, ie. no signal. (Yes
the engine was running.)  My first impression is that there probably
is a sensor down there but nothing to sense on the flywheel.

3) The "feed" terminal at the socket did not have any voltage on it.

That's it for tonight's show...other than the lunar eclipse later
tonight.

Dē & 6530

Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 03:44:38 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

I don't think it actually measures crankshaft position. I think it
only sends a signal once per rev, it sees a hole in the flywheel. To
get position you would have to integrate time with the flywheel
sensor. My guess is that it was to be used to measure RPM's when you
hooked up a test rig to the diagnostic plug. No longer needed, any
good timing light can read RPM's now. This is not exactly a crankshaft
sensor as used in modern engine management control systems.

--------------

Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 10:23:01 -0400
From: "Ed Garbade" <edgarbade_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Diagnostic plug

The plans I have seen for a cruise control on our cars have a pickup coil
installed near the drive shaft with a magnet on the shaft.  This generates a
pulse in the pickup coil as the magnet rotates around the shaft which the
cruise control uses to regulate speed (ie. a pickup after the gearbox).

So I was thinking, the flywheel pickup could provide that pulse; however, it
would only be useful in a specific gear.  So if you set you cruise control
at 65 MPH in 5th gear, it would work fine on a flat surface and maybe minor
grades.  If you push in your clutch to downshift for a hill the cruise would
disengage anyway (right??).

I would think the automatic would be a problem since the cruise would not
disengage if the transmission downshifted.  My expectation would be for the
transmission to downshift on a hill thus increasing RPMs.  This would then
cause the cruise control to decrease RPMs to maintain the artificial speed.
More specifically since we are setting the "speed" using an engine RPM vs. a
wheel RPM the increase in engine RPM caused by the downshifting of the
automatic transmission would cause the cruise to ease off the gas to correct
our "speed" (thus slowing the car further).  So I don't think it would work
on an automatic (except on flat ground in a constant gear).

I do think this could work for a cruise control on a manual (assuming the
"pulse" was compatible).  Any thoughts on this?

Ed

Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 03:32:52 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

This is strike 2 for where my powdercoating kit has gotten me into
trouble.  The first strike was with powdercoating the motor mounts.
I've also powdercoated my alternator mounts, and wondering why it
wasn't working right.  John Hervey was nice enough to call me on the
phone and let me know that now I'd have to run a separate wire to
the block from a bolt on the alternator.

Although, as rusty as my alternator mounts were before, I can't
imagine it was ever working right to begin with.

Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 06:06:35 -0000
From: "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_myrealbox.com>
Subject: Re: LED's for the center console - I GOT THEM!

I appologize in advance for the low quality of the pics, but check out
the 2894 folder in the photos section.  The LED bulbs I used were from
autolumination, and I'm sure VideoBob's will be the same shape:
inverted conical tipped LEDs so that the light dispersal is at a wide
angle.

--Greg

Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 02:34:10 -0000
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

And I would be sure to clean the connection on the big braided bunch of ground wires.
When I replaced my alternator with the D140 I was amazed how corroded the connection
on those ground wires was.

Patrick

Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 12:43:00 -0000
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: faulty volt gauge..

Where did you attach the voltmeter?

If you connected it at the same terminals as the gauge they should
read the same.

The gauge may read different from the measured voltage at another
point, like right at the battery.  This is due to the "voltage
dropped" across the wiring and connections when current is flowing.
E (volts) = I (current) times R (resistance).  Since you say it only
happens when you are running the fans and the accessories then it
sounds like a voltage drop caused by a bad wire or connection.  There
may be some common places to look.   Hopefully some others with more
specific info on the D will chime in...

Dē & 6530

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "painterdave72" <painterdave72_at_dml_y...>

Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 13:24:14 -0000
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>
Subject: Wiring for Door Locks and Headlights

I have two questions regarding wiring. How does one wire the door
locks so that locking or unlocking the right (passenger) door locks
or unlocks both doors and not just the right door. I often have to
get things out from the right side and I don't want to walk back
around to lock both sides from the right door.

Is there a way to wire the headlights in such a way so that if the
car is turned off with the headlights on the buzzer will sound for a
few seconds or until the lights are turned off? I went to an event
last night and left the lights on for a few hours. The car started
right up when I got in to leave but I don't want this to happen again.

Also, I have one loose black(?) wire coming from the dash hanging
down above the accelerator and brake pedals. It has an "eyelet"
ending so it looks like it's suppose to be tightened down with a nut
somewhere. I'm wondering if it is a ground wire of some sort. Any
idea what it might be?

Shannon

Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 06:20:49 -0000
From: "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_myrealbox.com>

I can't resist replying to this...  :-D

Blue LEDs.  Check out folder 2894 in the photos section. (sorry about
the crummy resolution)

Definitely match your LED colors and lense colors though... I
hand-made my blue lenses to go with 6-LED cluster bulbs from
Autolumination and they turned out great.  As others have explained,
mismatched colors, or white LEDs just won't work anywhere close to as
well.

--Greg

Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 03:16:37 -0000
From: "maryroseberg" <maryroseberg_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DeLorean on Ebay

Less than two days left on our car, if anyone on the list is
interested. Would like to see it go to a good DeLorean lover :^)
ViewItem&rd=1&item=2496841330&category=6472