From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2308
Date: Thursday, November 04, 2004 7:48 PM

1. RE: Re: Castrol GT LMA Brake Fluid DOT 4 Where to buy
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

2. Need help with a start problem
From: "bravoracer" <kingme8_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. Color Electrical Wiring Diagram
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>

4. Re: Okay, It Was A Bad Idea....
From: "LJScarlet2" <ljscarlet2_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: Castrol GT LMA Brake Fluid DOT 4 Where to buy
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

6. Re: Castrol GT LMA Brake Fluid DOT 4 Where to buy
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

7. Re: Need help with a start problem
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

8. Re: Re: Overtemp monitor / "dummy light"?
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>

9. Re: Re: Grid-lines over Taillights
From: Jan van de Wouw <delorean_at_dml_home.nl>

10. RE: Re: Need help with a start problem
From: "Joe LoRe'" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

11. AW: Color Electrical Wiring Diagram
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 21:00:02 -0800
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: RE: Re: Castrol GT LMA Brake Fluid DOT 4 Where to buy

I used the valvoline synpower dot 3 4 and it ruined my new brake master over
time. YMMV

Darkstar

Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 15:02:10 -0000
From: "bravoracer" <kingme8_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Need help with a start problem

The engine will turn over, but not start. I towed it in to a
Delorean repair shop and had the Fuel accumulator replaced, and they
also installed a new relay kit and changed some fuses. It worked
great for about 10 starts over 4 days, but now it's doing the exact
same thing and won't start. It happened on a hot start, only an hour
inbetween starts, but it also won't start on a cold start. I put a
little fuel in the carb and a couple times it started and ran for a
few seconds, I reved it up to 3000rpm, but it just died again. I can
hear the relays and pump working, and the battery is strong turing
it over each time. I looked back at a few previous "won't start"
posts but I'm not sure there similar to my problem.

Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 15:29:16 -0000
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>
Subject: Color Electrical Wiring Diagram

Is there a downloadable wiring diagram for the Delorean that is in
color? I also need the legend or index to the numbers for the  wiring
diagram. Where can I find that? Thanks.

Shannon

Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 16:34:07 -0000
From: "LJScarlet2" <ljscarlet2_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Okay, It Was A Bad Idea....

Thank you, Videobob.

I definitely need to hook up an extra battery.  Come spring, I want
to put in a good sound system and I don't want to worry about the car
not starting.

It was very embarrassing...but only some people in the crowd realized
we weren't moving on our own.  The marchers around us were making
disparaging comments about the car.  At least "battery died" is
something that can happen to any car.  Especially a car not moving in
a parade.

Ho hum.

Thanks for the advice again :)

> ah, nothing more embarrasing than being seen broken down in a
DeLorean.

Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 17:17:14 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>
Subject: Re: Castrol GT LMA Brake Fluid DOT 4 Where to buy

That's surprising. Does anyone know why that would be? Seems crazy
that an expensive, supposedly superior product would do something like
that. Anyone else use Valvoline SynPower?

Previous owner was putting standard dot 3 in everything. I flushed the
brakes out completely and refilled with synpower, and did the same
with the cluch system (though I replaced the entire system - new
master & slave and new braided clutch line).

-Ryan

Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 16:51:07 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Other British cars have the same problem and they also recomend the
use of Castrol GTLMA DOT 4. When you combine all the British
manufacturers, especially Jaguar, you have a large base of users with
a long history. Experience shows that not only should you use Castrol
but you should also flush it out regularly, the service recomendation
is every 2 years. I suppose you "could" use other fluids but no one
the history that Castrol has. In any case I would recomend that you
flush ANY fluid you use, including DOT 5 silicone. Water is not
absorbable in silicone, it will tend to accumulate in globs. It will
eventually corrode the system so flushing is good advice. For most of
us who own Deloreans and do not drive them regularly flushing is even
more important. When you drive you heat up the brake fluid and force
the moisture out of it. By not driving regularly the brake fluid
absorbs moisture from the air and eventually becomes acidic. The fluid
then corrodes the insides of the systems. When that happens the seals,
as they move over the areas of corrosion, will leak. If you can't find
Castrol locally you can call them to find a local distributer or you
can order it through the mail. All of the Delorean venders can sell it
to you or you can find someone else. BTW I buy it in a large bottle
but it is not 1 quart, it is 3 pints. It also comes in pint bottles
but you will go through them fast when you are flushing the systems
out. NEVER REUSE BRAKE FLUID. What comes out never goes back in.
Dispose of old brake fluid properly, take it to a gas station. Another
name for brake fluid is paint remover so do not allow it to get on a
painted surface. Wipe up any spills quickly.

Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 16:59:57 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Need help with a start problem

I would drain the fuel tank and inspect all the parts inside. Pay
particularly close attention to the suction (pick-up) hose for cracks,
tears, holes, or kinks. If you are getting good fuel flow (and you
have plenty of fuel in the tank) then you might have an ignition
problem. Start by cleaning all the connections at the ballast
resistors. They are the white thingys on the firewall towards the left
side. Clean the relay contacts nearby too.

Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 04:43:20 -0800
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Overtemp monitor / "dummy light"?

David,
I have had a "Design Tech" Auto Command remote starter in my D for over 8
years.  As I recall it had 17 connections for every Fail Safe thing you
could think of.   I have it programmed to shut down after 10 minutes if you
do not get in the car to go somewhere. (It is plenty warm in this time or
less) I have had this happen a few times when I got talking to someone and
forgot I had started the car remotely.   This brand is also available for a
stick shift car and no way you can start it, if it is left in gear.  I have
seen it demonstrated...Mine is Auto.  I also have it programmed to TRY to
start for two seconds (it can me made longer) and find that if the car has
been run in the last week or so, it will start almost instantly, however if
it has been a while longer or is unusually cold, it will wait 20 seconds and
try a second time at which time it has ALWAYS started  and it will go on to
even a third time, but that is all.  It got a little slow starting last
winter and this spring I put in a new Interstate battery and it has reallly
made a difference ever since.   I have only one complaint about this unit,
and that is that the range is not great enough to suit ME.  I have two other
cars with Remote starting also that will start from a much longer
distance......of course the unit in the D is 8 years old and probably newer
circuitry has correct that.  I need to almost be within sight of the D for
it to remotely start.  It also at the same time turns on the lights and will
honk the horn when it is running, but I don't have it programmed to do that.
It wont turn on the air conditioner until the idle speed has been constant
for something like 30 seconds.    Actually I rarely start the car without
using the Remote...Love that Warm air (it got down to 32 yesterday) in the
winter and cold air in the summer!
Murray
Vin:05962
Lic: DMC-XII

Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 21:20:36 +0100
From: Jan van de Wouw <delorean_at_dml_home.nl>
Subject: Re: Re: Grid-lines over Taillights

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 14:27:58 -0000,
"thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net> wrote:

> If you can, post some pics of the missing black lines.
> I suspect some kind of P.O. mod or aftermarket lenses
> such as that from a Lotus.

I haven't got a picture of this situation, but I DID find
an old email in a backup; it was Michael Babb's car that
had them missing. I noticed it on a picture on his site
then (november 1999) and he hadn't even noticed himself.

Maybe he still has the picture in question
and remembers what was wrong???

JAN van de Wouw

Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000
--------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 14:40:12 -0500
From: "Joe LoRe'" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: RE: Re: Need help with a start problem

You said you had your car repaired by a DeLorean shop. If you paid for your
repairs you should bring your car back to that shop and have them correct
the problem. Weather it's a DeLorean or a Ford most credible repair shops
include a 90 warrantee on their work. David is on the right track as far as
diagnosing your no start problem but your repair shop should be doing that
work.

DMC Joe

Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 22:39:57 +0100
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: AW: Color Electrical Wiring Diagram

Shannon,
I doubt that you can read a wiring diagram in color better than one in black
and white. If you can't read the B&W one, you just don't try hard enough -
and it isn't hard at all.

Zilla offers a good schematic  just for a little donation
to MJFox. I like this idea and therefore I don't post my
version of it publicly.

But hey - if you want it in color - why don't you draw it ?
It's a hell lot of work, you could do it and put it online so everybody
could download it for free. I don't need it, but I
would take it.
If you wanna do it I can offer you a very good version of it
as BMP, probably in the best quality you can get.

But still you can have it easier and use the B&W one. On Zilla's
and mine the legend is also already included.

Elvis & 6548