From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2309
Date: Friday, November 05, 2004 6:49 PM

1. (knock knock) - Joe???
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

2. RE: Re: Need help with a start problem
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com

3. RE: Batt. warning light : LED or not ?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

4. RE: Fuse Box
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

5. RE: Fuel pressures
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

6. Rage Against the LEDs
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>

7. VIN
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Inlet manifold
From: nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com

9. RE: (knock knock) - Joe???
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

10. Re: Batt. warning light : LED or not ?
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMUK Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

11. Thanks for the welcome.
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

12. RE: Re: Ebay SCAM!! DMC Owners BEWARE
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

13. RE: Re: Timing Gear Cover Leaking...Backfiring?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

14. Re: Texas DeLorean Owners/Enthusiasts
From: Pete Berveiler <zamphyr2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: Rage Against the LEDs
From: "Mike" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

16. RE: Inlet manifold
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

17. Re: Rage Against the LEDs
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

18. RE: Rage Against the LEDs
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

19. Re: Inlet manifold
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

20. RE: Batt. warning light : LED or not ?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

21. RE: Injectors dripping
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

22. Re: Color Electrical Wiring Diagram
From: "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_myrealbox.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 22:42:42 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: (knock knock) - Joe???

DMC Who? You can't just sneak in here without saying anything!! How
are things going? Welcome back!

Are you getting back into it or just checking us out?

Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 17:10:04 -0500
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: RE: Re: Need help with a start problem

Joe (DMC JOE),
Glad to see you back on the net. The DML has missed your advise. Hope all is well in GA.
Bruce Battles
Vin # 06569
RNDOMTR

Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 22:40:32 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Batt. warning light : LED or not ?

Ralphael,
If you don't have the proper modification for the Battery light and you
replace it with the LED bulb, then you will most likely blow the voltage
regulator in the alternator. I wouldn't replace it. Continue to use the 161
bulb. It acts like a ballast resistor for the voltage going to the
regulator. Also, it should rarely come on. If you must replace it, then a
resistor needs to be put in line.

Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 22:35:09 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Fuse Box

Elvis,
Original box has the same old original problem. I have a much better box on
the web site.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/delorean-fuse-box-kit.jpg

Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 22:46:21 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Fuel pressures

The fuel before going to the injectors has to go thru the fuel distributor.
The control plunger has to rise an fall which is what determines how much
and when the fuel goes to the injectors. Vacuum is a big problem with the
CIS system and if you adjust to it,then the problem is compounded. We had a
distributor the other day that due to high pressure ruptured the Stainless
Steel diaphragm and caused a sever flooding problem.

Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 21:21:55 -0800 (PST)
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>
Subject: Rage Against the LEDs

After the latest NCDMC meet to see a midnight screening of Back to the
Future, complete with reserved parking, security detail, and free movie
passes...

http://www.ncdmc.org/Pruneyard04.htm

...I found myself impressed by LED door lights. I thought that they'd be
too pointed and direct, but they looked great. After a post earlier this
week on the source of the LEDs, I purchased the 6 lights for the doors and
a set of lights for behind the AC panel as a couple of my lights had gone
out.

I bought the white ones for the AC panel and I've got to say, they look
terrible. Not even just terrible, but dim and purple. I really can't go on
and on enough about what a waste of time it was to install them. So
please, don't believe the hype - just stick with the bulbs that have
worked for us for 20+ years.

If anybody wants 'em, just send me your address and I'll mail them out.

-Christian

Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 21:27:41 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: VIN

Does any member of this group own #6676? My old one and I'm just wondering how she is. Thanks.

Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 06:46:28 -0000
From: nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: Inlet manifold

Hi, with my new supercharged EFI set up it is looking like the best
place to mount the air cleaner is vertically between the valley and
cut a hole for it to poke through the engine cover. My question is,
what is the purpose of the tube in the centre of the inlet valley
that bends round to near the oil filler cap. Bear in mind i am
running a fully programmable EFI computer and the valley is now
empty and completely stripped of all K Jetronic gear and i will not
be running the original idle speed motor etc etc .... What would i
be effecting if i disgarded of the tube and sealed the hole in the
manifold? Does the oil cap/crankcase need this in place?

All thoughts appreciated,Cheers Nick- sydney

Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 08:37:23 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: RE: (knock knock) - Joe???

WHO'S THERE!
Hay Dave,

Thanks for the "WELCOME BACK". I'm going through some difficult times and
your welcome brings sunshine into my life. I would like to get more DeLorean
involved but that may not be possible at this time. I may be moving again,
in the mean time (for the next several days) I'll be sharing some of my
knowledge with the group where time permits.

Thanks again,
DMC Joe

Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 09:36:58 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMUK Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Erm.... it'll come on evry time you switch the ignition on

Martin

Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 08:37:23 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Thanks for the welcome.

Bruce,

Thanks for the welcome. I just stopped by for a vist, not sure how long I'll
be around.

Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 23:24:58 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Ebay SCAM!! DMC Owners BEWARE

Jason, If you want original Delorean struts that don't bend the mounting
pin, don't leak fluid and are guaranteed from a Delorean parts supplier then
they are on the web site.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Jason Sisto" <wizard_at_dml_t...> wrote:

> Fellow DMC Owners BEWARE!!
>
> I purchased struts from http://stores.ebay.com/DYBusiness-Shop off
e-bay.  The sellers Deric & Levin Yu claimed they were original
DeLorean struts and when I recieved them, although they had the DMC
logo on them, only opened 3/4 of the way.  Come to find out, they are
some how associated with www.nvoconcepts.com.  BEWARE OF THEM TOO!!
Upon calling and e-mailing the sellers, they claimed that not opening
all the way was typical.  All DMC owners know this is not true!!  They
agreed to exchange them and I sent them back.  It is three months
later and I still do not have the struts nor money.  They do not
return e-mails or calls.  I have contacted Ebay and the local
authorities but do not know what will happen as I am in New England
and they are in CA.

> The point is...STICK TOGETHER and only buy from known DMC owners
and/or resellers like PJ Grady, DeLorean One, Specialty Auto, DMC
Houston, NWParts, etc.

Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 23:20:02 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Timing Gear Cover Leaking...Backfiring?

Matt, You don't have to pull the intake.
John Hervey

[moderator clarification - I believe that he means you only have to lift the fuel distributor out of the way, not the whole intake--dave]

Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 07:18:02 -0800 (PST)
From: Pete Berveiler <zamphyr2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Texas DeLorean Owners/Enthusiasts

So how did the meeting go?  I was unable to attend due
to work commitments.

Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 14:36:20 -0000
From: "Mike" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Rage Against the LEDs

Hi There

Not doubting what you are saying, but my LEd are crisp and white in
the console, im sure there are different types of light patterns on
the LED's not sure what type mine are though, maybe yours are
differnet to mine someway

Yorkshire, UK

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_f...>

Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 08:31:25 -0600
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Inlet manifold

That is the cold start tube. It conducts the air/fuel from the cold start
injector into the intake. A cold engine needs additional fuel as fuel will
condense on cold cylinder walls making less available for combustion. The
condensation effectively makes the mixture leaner than it should be. After
warm up, it is disabled. If your EFI control makes provision for this, then
cap off the hole in the intake where this tube connects.

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 07:20:29 -0800 (PST)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Christian,

I couldn't disagree with you more.  (Although I still haven't taken the time to photograph mine for the others).  Where did you get the leds??  Maybe you got the wrong kind, as that description doesn't match my experience in the least.

Jake

Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 09:39:39 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I don't know which bulbs you bought, but you didn't get them from me.
Sorry to hear about your experience.

You know, there is always a spoiled sport out there who is trying to ruin my
business by trying
to give away what they think are my sources for no other reason than to be
evil and rotten.
What these people fail to see is that I don't just sell any old junk.
I buy test bulbs from every manufacture and type and test them out myself.
(I have a shoe box with at least $300 worth of MISC. bulbs)

People have been asking me for LED's to go into the center console for a
year,
and it wasn't until recently that I found some that I thought were good
enough.
When I do find a bulb that is good enough, I have enough confidence in it
that I will
buy them in bulk to get them cheaper than anyone else could buy them
otherwise.
Then, I offer them with free shipping which is a small cost to me but a huge
savings for
the customer since most LED online stores charge ridiculous rates like $5 or
$10 to ship
a few bulbs. Everything even's out in the end for the customer.

I guess my point is, if you had bought the ones that I sell and supported a
vendor who
actually owns and drives a DeLorean every single day, and looks at these
lights every single time
he gets in his car you might have gotten the bulbs you wanted, and... if you
didn't want them
you might have had a better option then "giving them away".

For those of you who understand this M.O. and continue to support my
research in these
bulbs by buying them from me instead of a warehouse, my heart felt "THANK
YOU"
and my promise that I won't ever let you down.

Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 15:35:46 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

I think you are refering to the brass pipe that is held to the intake
manifold with 1 bolt and does bend up to a point near the oil
filler/breather. It is the cold-start pipe. The cold start valve sits
on top of it. I guess you won't need the cold start valve although you
could use it and not mess up the EFI. You can just leave it there
wired up the way it was and it should run fine (It only operates when
the motor is cold and cranking anyway). If you do care to remove it
you will have to make some provision for the other 2 connections that
go there. The breather for the crankcase and the port for the charcoal
cannister. These connections are metered, ie, the fittings they
connect to have very small holes so they get only a limited amount of
vacuum. The Delorean does not have a PCV valve like most, the
crankcase is kept under a negative pressure without a valve, instead
it just has a metering hole.

Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 14:10:32 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Yes, It should come on everytime you turn on the key but go out when the
alternator starts to rotate and rarely come on if the engine is running.
Sorry I left out a the last little bit.

Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 14:16:37 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Injectors dripping

Matt, One drip after the pump is shut off. Any more and the system will de
pressurerize.

Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 19:53:46 -0000
From: "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_myrealbox.com>
Subject: Re: Color Electrical Wiring Diagram

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_u...> wrote:

> Is there a downloadable wiring diagram for the Delorean that is in
> color? I also need the legend or index to the numbers for the  wiring
> diagram. Where can I find that? Thanks.
>
> Shannon
> VIN 16113

I've never seen one in color, but I did find downloadable B&W versions.

SpecialTAuto has JPEGs of the diagram and legend (with color-codes) in
their reference section:
http://specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/reference-materials.html

And on Luke Sandel's site, with a lot of great reference info, he also
has some scanned docs, including a better version of the wiring
diagram (higher res, GIF format, grid indices):
http://lukesandel.com/auto/delorean/infosheets/default.html

Although I have a nice, large, laminated printout from one of the
vendors (SpecialTAuto), I like to have everything I can in digital
too.  If you want something huge, I recently saw poster size (B&W
though) versions on eBay.  Search "delorean diagram" to find them.