From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2312
Date: Monday, November 08, 2004 9:45 PM

1. Re: Advice and opinions for a new buyer
From: "Steve" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

2. Re: Advice and opinions for a new buyer
From: andydandy777_at_dml_aol.com

3. Lemon - 60 heroic failures of motoring
From: "Tim Ruckley" <tim_at_dml_timruckley.com>

4. Re: Advice and opinions for a new buyer
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

5. DeLorean 3202 For Sale
From: Aaron Posey <cadysrme_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Advice and opinions for a new buyer
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

7. "Brightening up" the stainless?
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

8. Delorean Handling 2: The Sequal
From: "secret_jedi_guy" <secret_jedi_guy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 22:17:36 -0500
From: "Steve" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>
Subject: Re: Advice and opinions for a new buyer

The only thing that scares me a bit is the inconsistent mileage usage.
According to carfax from 3/31/00 to 5/6/03 the car was only driven 1344
miles. I would expect allot of dry rot on hoses etc. Or odometer problems.
The carfax report also shows the vehicle being "Exempt from odometer
reporting" on 5/10/04.  Nothing else negative from carfax. I bought one of
those unlimited carfax report deals. Worth the $24

Sorry I can't answer any of the other questions but like you, I am shopping
for my dream car..

Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 22:39:35 EST
From: andydandy777_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 11/7/2004 8:40:04 PM Central Standard Time,
leningradmonkey_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:
ViewItem&category=31830&item=2497593986&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
The problem with the hood you speak of is a real simple fix, I have an '81
that had the same raised hood, simply lower the hood catch  about 1/4 to 1/2
inch or whatever is needed and this goes away, I have owned old #3513 for almost
23 years now and still love it, welcome to the club.
Andy Blcakmon

Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 21:18:16 +1100
From: "Tim Ruckley" <tim_at_dml_timruckley.com>
Subject: Lemon - 60 heroic failures of motoring

While looking through the book section at Big W last weekend I came acros a book called "Lemon - 60 heroic failures of motoring" by Tony Davis and yes the delorean is in there.  It is basically a brief story on the worst cars ever to make it to Australia and some that didn't. Its ISBN is 1-86325-494-3.

I've posted pics in the files section in a folder called lemon.  There is also a section on the Bricklin SV-1 for those intersted.

- Tim.

Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 17:34:52 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

Welcome, Josh.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "leningradmonkey"
<leningradmonkey_at_dml_y...> wrote:

> the major problem I find with the exterior of the car is that as you
> can see yourself, in the 15th picture down from the top, that the
> hood of the DMC-12 looks as if its poped up a bit in the upper area
> near the windshield. almost as if its not fully latched down. this
> is the only DMC-12 that ive seen that has had this problem, is there
> a fix to this or a cause to the problem that you can think of?

There is a fix to everything. My guess is the hood just needs some
minor adjustments on the latching mechanism. I wouldn't consider this
a "major" problem (unless the hood is somehow warped from an accident
or something). Very minor in the grand scheme of things. It's also
possible the owner didn't latch the hood all the way while taking
pictures for the purpose of opening it back up easily - you should ask
him.

> oh yes, what would be your opinions about a DeLorean that has never
> had any upgrades or work done to the engine, transmission and fuel
> systems but reportedly doesnt ahve any problems with any of the 3?

Heh, sounds like every DeLorean I've ever seen for sale. ;)

First, I think you're smart by looking at a car with a few miles on
it. I bought my '81 with ~48k miles on it and no upgrades, but it had
been maintained reasonably well. The cars with only a couple thousand
miles seem to require an awful lot of work to bring to daily driver
status, of course this depends on their maintenance.

Anyway, if you want a daily driver plan on spending an additional
$3,000 - $5,000 within the first few months, assuming you do your own
work. There are plenty of things you'll need to fix. Things that will
work fine when driven occasionally, but will quickly fail when a car
is returned to daily driver status. Here are some examples of things I
had to do to my own car:

1. You'll need to replace all of your coolant lines. The hoses are 21
years old on that car and they will fail, and your engine will
overheat. This is a bad thing.

2. The car probably needs new brakes, or will need them soon.
Hopefully the owner has flushed & refilled the brake system regularly,
with the proper fluid. I lucked out in that my car came with new brake
pads, all I had to do was install them and replace the brake fluid. It
was old and dirty and had likely never been replaced, but no leaks
have occured and the brakes are working great. I would have expected
to replace more.

3. Same thing with the clutch. Hopefully the previous owners have
flushed & refilled the fluid regularly. If not, you're in for
problems. You'll need to replace the plastic clutch line with a
stainless steel braided one. If the clutch hydraulics have not been
regularly maintained, they will likely fail shortly after the line is
replaced. I would plan on replacing, at a minimum, the master & slave
cylinders and the clutch line. I bet you'll need a new clutch within 6
months to a year, too.

4. Lots of misc electrical stuff to check. Door locks are a big one.
If your door lock controller is working now, it won't be later. I
recommend Toby Peterson's door actuator upgrade. $100 will replace the
solenoids in both doors and transfer switching current to outboard
relays, which should prevent your lock module from dying. Lots of
benefits here, contact Toby (www.delorean-parts.com) for more info on
this very inexpensive upgrade.

This is just off the top of my head. There are a lot of other things
you'll need to check and replace, but these are some of the bigger ones.

Welcome to the world of DeLorean ownership! Once you solve some of the
pesky bugs - most of which have to do simply with the age of the
components - you should have a trouble free and reliable daily driver.

Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 08:44:04 -0800 (PST)
From: Aaron Posey <cadysrme_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DeLorean 3202 For Sale

Just to note to inform the list that I have my DMC for sale and is currently on ebay.  3202 was the 1st Place Concours Winner in Memphis.  The car has 6,800 miles currently- it had 430 when I bought it in May of 2000. I have gone through the car and have done many upgrades to keep it a show car or easily a daily driver. I won't bore with details if it is interesting to someone I will answer specific questions via email.

The Item# is 4501137957
www.ebay.com

The reason I am selling the car is I am getting ready to move to Florida will not have the room to keep it inside.

Regards,

Aaron Posey

Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 15:43:35 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

This question (or similar) comes up all the time from people who
"find" a Delorean and want one. The first thing they are concerned
with are the cosmetics. They NEVER look underneath where the real
money will be spent. The Delorean venders have come up with a rough
"Rule Of Thumb". A good starting point is figureing at least $1,000
for each year that the car was not used. It will generally cost more
but you can start there. I would add that that rule is useful but
figure a minimum of $5,000. When you say the car hasn't had any of the
upgrades or work done figure you will have to do it if you want a
reliable driver. The parts are expensive enough but if you don't do
the work then you also have to decide where to have the work done.
When you have to pay for labor the costs can go up rather quickly. I
would caution against buying on E-bay, especailly if you cannot see
the car yourself, and you don't know what to look for! The seller can
say (or not say) anything to sell the car. You really should do your
homework on any car you buy including looking up it's history. Most
venders keep a record of the service work they do on each car so that
is where you should begin. E-bay doesn't give you enough time to do it
properly. Don't try to buy the cheapest car you can find, it may be
the one that winds up costing the most! I cannot help you with this
particular one on E-bay but IMHO that is not the best place to buy
your first one. Join a local group and they can help you find one that
you can be happy with. You shouldn't have to have a Delorean shipped
across the country. There are plenty all over and the $1,500 it will
cost to ship is better spent on buying a better one or the parts for
it. The hood being high in the middle is easily fixed by adjusting the
latch and is a common (minor) thing. There are other Delorean venders
in California besides Delorean One, you may even be closer to them
than D1. Call all of them and check pricing and how long their backlog
is. You may be surprised at how long it can take for them to get to
your car! Just another reason many of us try to do our own work if we
can. Alternatively they may have a car you can buy right now, jump in,
and drive it without any worries.

Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 17:45:19 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>
Subject: "Brightening up" the stainless?

While replying to "leningradmonkey", I noticed how much brighter the
DeLorean he was looking at is compared to mine:

Pics of the car he is looking at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31830&item=2497593986&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Pics of my car: http://www.ryanwright.com/delorean/

I've always thought my car was beautiful but the stainless looks very
dull compared to the pictures on the eBay auction. Can anyone
recommend a good product to clean and brighten up the stainless?

Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 19:09:41 -0000
From: "secret_jedi_guy" <secret_jedi_guy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Delorean Handling 2: The Sequal

Sorry to bring this thread up again, however I had quite an
adventure this morning with my D's handling that I think everyone
should hear.

I live in Las Vegas where to everyone's knowledge hardly rains.
Well, last night it poured, and the roads stayed wet well into the
morning.  I had to get up to take my little sister to school at
about 5:45 AM.  I took a turn doing about 15 mph due to slickness of
the road, and then began accelerating once I came out of it.  BIG
MISTAKE.  I must've hit the gas to hard because my D' began doing
very larg fishtales to the left and right and then finally I did a
full 360!  Thankfully there was no traffic and the road was clear so
although that was actually pretty fun I don't think I will try that
again.

Japheth VIN: 1223