From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2316
Date: Friday, November 12, 2004 10:17 PM

1. Re: "Brightening up" the stainless?
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

2. Collectible for sale
From: "llynn019" <llynn019_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. 02 Sensor
From: "delorean3502" <delorean_at_dml_charter.net>

4. Re: "Brightening up" the stainless?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

5. Add your DeLorean site to the Open Directory Project
From: "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_forwardlook.net>

6. Valve adjustment?
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:26:10 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com
Subject: Re: "Brightening up" the stainless?

David - The process of the stainless steel "dulling down" over time
is the result of the formation of a protective oxide layer on the
stainless steel.  When the panel is first cleaned and regrained (or
rubbed with a blending pad) the oxide layer is actually removed.  It
reforms relatively quickly upon contact with oxygen.  This oxide
layer is actually the stainless steel's "first line of defense"
against corrosion and chemical attack.  It is also why paint doesn't
stick very well to stainless steel, unless the panels are etched
first to remove the oxide layer, and then sealed with a primer very
quickly afterwards to prevent further oxidation.

Toby Peterson VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC

 BTW I have noticed

Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:56:38 -0000
From: "llynn019" <llynn019_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Collectible for sale

For Sale:  Both adult movies featuring the Delorean. "Backside to the
Future" Part I & II.  Contact me off list if interested

Lorraine  llynn019(AT)yahoo.com

Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:55:48 -0800
From: "delorean3502" <delorean_at_dml_charter.net>
Subject: 02 Sensor

OK, what's the best way to remove an old 02 sensor, I have it loose enough to turn it with a box end wrench but clearance seems to a problem, does one have to drop the axle shaft to get enough room to really do it right ?. This is on a 81 with a manual transmission.
Lloyd #3502

Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:40:11 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

That is what I figured but the effect is very noticable, especailly
when you compare it to adjacent panels. Sort of like the green
"patina" of weathered copper. The oxide protects the parent (base)
metal.  Another Delorean owner nearby me gave me some "secret
solution" which is supposed to be concentrated lemon extract. He used
it on his car and it did seem to "brighten" the S/S. I have yet to try
it on my car, I wonder what the long-term effects of it are? I know
any Chlorine-based solutions will be corrosive to the alloy of S/S
used on the Delorean.

Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 12:12:57 -0500
From: "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_forwardlook.net>
Subject: Add your DeLorean site to the Open Directory Project

Hi All,

I am now an editor for the DeLorean section of the Open Directory Project.
If you have a personal site related to D's, please go to
http://www.dmoz.org/Recreation/Autos/Makes_and_Models/DeLorean/ and click
the Suggest URL link to submit your site.  I'll try to get it added as soon
as possible.

The Open Directory Project (ODP) is the 'mother' of search engines -- most
search engines go there first when looking for sites to include in their
indexes.  Having your site listed there will really help your site to be
found much easier on a search.

NOTE TO VENDORS:  I am trying to get them to add a
Shopping/Vehicles/Parts_and_Accessories/Makes_and_Models/European/British/De
Lorean category as well where commercial sites can be listed (I got yelled
at for adding PJ Grady, DMC Houston, John Hervey, DPNW etc) to the other
index.  Pending approval, I will try to become an editor of that category as
well.

Thanks!

-Dave

Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:49:25 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Valve adjustment?

Is there a procedure somewhere that tells the "layperson" how to
adjust the valves on the DeLorean?  I looked in the workshop manual,
but it only tells you what order to adjust them in, and not HOW, and
what tools are needed.  This is the first car I've ever had to
adjust the valves on, so as of now, I have no idea what is involved,
but I'd like to do it myself.

thanks,