From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2318
Date: Sunday, November 14, 2004 4:52 PM

1. Delorean Is Gone - Enclosed Trailer Still Here
From: "maddog6198_2000" <maddog6198_at_dml_aol.com>

2. Re: Valve adjustment? (In response to DMC Joe and David T)
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

3. Missing clutch dust boot
From: "Charles Major" <charlesmajor_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. Door adjustment?
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

5. Re: Clicking noise behind passenger seat when A/C on
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

6. Re: New Rear Number Plate Surrounds
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

7. RE: Re: Valve adjustment?
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

8. Locking doors
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

9. DCS Magazine
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 18:48:29 -0000
From: "maddog6198_2000" <maddog6198_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Delorean Is Gone - Enclosed Trailer Still Here

Greetings to all:

As may of you know, I sold 15943 to a collector a while back. I
still have my 28 foot enclosed race car hauler that you all saw at
Pigeon Forge. If there is anyone interested, please shoot me an e
mail. With nothing hot to put in it, its tough to justify keeping
around.

Regards,
John Curry
(614) 989-9215
maddog6198_at_dml_aol.com

Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 20:00:40 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Re: Valve adjustment? (In response to DMC Joe and David T)

Both responses I have received in asking how to adjust the valves
have been of the tone "Find someone who knows how to do it."  If
this would have been the type of advice I'd followed on my car since
I purchased it about a year ago, I unnecessarily would have easily
spent THOUSANDS of dollars on it in labor alone.

The reason I post here asking for advice, is because ***I*** want to
do the procedure.  So many times on this list, individuals are given
advice that they should find someone else who knows how to do
something.  Find someone to change your clutch, find someone to
adjust your torsion bars, and now find someone who knows how to
adjust valves.  It's ridiculous, and yes, I've done all of the said
procedures above myself (except adjusting the valves), correctly,
with no one helping me except the occasional friend (who is also not
a mechanic).  Auto mechanics is NOT rocket science, and providing
you have the tools and literature, ANYONE CAN DO IT.  The biggest
joke being the torsion bar adjustment.  After doing it with my
friend and taking about 10 minutes total, I really don't know why
anyone makes such a fuss about it.  The only reason I can think of,
is that there's some kind of conspiracy to keep garages in
business.

Now, my car has 30,000 miles on it, I currently have the timing gear
cover, and both valve covers removed to powdercoat them (MYSELF),
and I'm going to adjust the valves now that it's convenient.  Yes,
***I'm*** going to adjust them.  Now, if anyone can offer some
reasonable advice that doesn't follow the path of "find someone else
to do it," I'm all ears.

After a bit of research care of Google, I've already purchased my
feeler gauge, and I've rotated the engine to 0 degrees TDC for
cylinder #1 on the firing stroke.  I'm about to check the tolerances
on the workshop manual's indicated valves before I rotate the engine
360 degrees and check the other indicated valves.  Why on earth
would I pay someone $50/hour to do such a simple thing?  The only
question that remains in my mind is how easily I should be able to
slide the feeler gauge in between the valve lobe and the rocker
arm.

Matt "D.I.Y." Spittle

Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 00:37:22 +0000
From: "Charles Major" <charlesmajor_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Missing clutch dust boot

I am looking for a dust boot for the clutch master cylinder, I am sure that
many will fit just wanted to check with you experts.
Thanks,
Charles

Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 01:29:20 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Door adjustment?

Now that my DeLorean is sitting for the winter, I've had some time to
go over it and inspect some things. I've noticed that my drivers side
door isn't aligned correctly. The top (roof) front of the door is
touching the top black piece of windshield trim- the passenger side
doesnt touch at all, and is noticably back more then the drivers side;
the lines around the top of the passenger side even. On the drivers
side there is a large gap in the back while there the front touches
the molding. Is there a way to adjust this? Now I know why my seals
are wearing out so damn quick! With the long winter I have all the
time in the world to rip things apart. Any ideas? Thanks- Dani B.

Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 01:48:51 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Clicking noise behind passenger seat when A/C on

If you can I would suggest you take it to DMCH and let them check it
out. It sounds like cycling of the AC or a cycling of the circuit
breaker for the fans. Rapid cycling of the AC system means some sort
of service is probably needed (low outside temp could cause rapid
cycling however) and rapid cycling of the fan circuit breaker could
mean an electrical problem or fan motor locked up. In any event, a
knowledgeable tech needs to look it.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_h...>
wrote:
> Hello,
> I know there have been posts about this before, and I did a search
> but could not really find a good answer.
> I've had my car for 3 1/2 months, and just prior to that the A/C
> system was serviced by DMCH, so I know everthing was ok with it
when I got the car.  Starting about 2-3 weeks ago, whenever the A/C is
on,  there is a constant (literally about every 5 seconds) clicking
noise coming from behind the passenger seat.

Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 01:53:55 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: New Rear Number Plate Surrounds

How do you mount it? I didn't see any screw holes.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "jamesrguk" <James_rg_at_dml_h...> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A number of people on this list showed an interest, both throught
> the list and via private e-mail, in the rear number plate surround
I was having manufactured in aluminium.

Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 22:03:41 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: RE: Re: Valve adjustment?

I would like to back up David on his comments and add the following.

One of the most reliable and maintenance free parts of the DeLorean is the
engine. Valve problems in the PRV-6 are virtually non-existent. If you are a
long time DeLorean owner there is little doubt that at some time you have
heard (especially from older Volvo mechanics) that the PRV-6 (B-28F) motor
has a bad reputation concerning camshafts. Let me explain.

The predecessor to the B-28 was the B27 used in pre 1979 Volvo's. Its main
problem was poor head oiling and soft cam shafts - a recipe for disaster.
The early B28F's went into production before this problem became obvious. It
was not unusual for these engines to chew up the camshafts at low odometer
readings. I should know, my 1980 Volvo engine seized at 80k on the clock.
Fortunately for the DeLorean the B28F was modified with the inclusion of
larger oil passages and harder camshafts and these improvements were
included in the DeLorean version of this engine. This new set up made the
B28F extremely reliable and maintenance free. I personally don't recommend
valves be adjusted prior to 100k miles. There are many "D's" out there with
over 200k that have never received a valve adjustment.

In closing this is one of those "If It Aint Broke Don't Fix It" scenarios.

DMC Joe

Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 15:35:59 +0100
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: Locking doors

Does soembody know when they changed the original door design to the
version where the doors can be locked even when open ?

On my car (VIN 6548) it isn't possible. But I have seen a 16xxx car
where it is possible. It also has the plastic guides instead of the SS ones.

Any ideas ?

Elvis

Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 07:59:47 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DCS Magazine

  The DCS magazine shipped out last week so everyone should be recieving their copy shortly.

  If you subscribed this week or if you had a subscription and it lapsed, a renewal form is avaliable.

  We have plenty of the new magazines avaliable and if you order we will send it out immediately.