From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2323
Date: Thursday, November 18, 2004 9:39 PM

From: "Jason Sisto" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>

From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_myrealbox.com>

From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

From: "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_myrealbox.com>

8. Re: Re: 17000 Vins..
From: Laurent <dmcnews_at_dml_proust.be>

9. Another DMC newbie
From: "Noah Smith" <noahsmith_nc_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Re: Door lock removal?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

11. Re: Another DMC newbie
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

12. Re: 17000 Vins..(filling in the blanks)
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

13. Re: Another DMC newbie
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Another DMC newbie (Deloreans for sale)
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

15. Re: Door lock removal?
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:19:13 -0500
From: "Jason Sisto" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>
Subject: RE: New England Club?

I work in Prov. and live in MA. I am also willing to start getting together with other Delorean owners.  My brother manages a motel in Westerly, RI, on the beach, next to the CT border & Foxwoods and if we get enough DeLorean owners together, I am willing to host a get together next summer.  I own three Deloreans and my cousin has one.  I also have another friend who owns one as well.  The more owners the better!!   Let me know if anyone is interested.

JS

Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 04:13:54 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com
Subject: Re: Door lock removal?

Greg - It depends on which type of lock you have.  There are two
flavors ... The later ones have a spring steel "pickle fork" clip
that slides behind the door skin, engaging a groove in the lock
barrel.  You just find the end with the slight upturn, and pull it
out of the groove.  The lock barrel should then slide out of the
door.  The other flavor has a plastic insert, sort of like a
grommet, that snaps around the lock barrel, and has two "spring
loaded" flanges that snap out as the grommet gets inserted into the
door skin.  You have to pinch these flanges together, and work the
lock out very gently.  You will probably break the plastic grommet -
sorry about that.  You will be working either one of these from the
inside, by the way.  You need to remove the upper panel.  The lock
rod is attached to a plastic ring that snaps around the end of the
lock barrel in a molded groove.  You should be able to snap that
ring off the end of the barrel, freeing the lock from the rod. Good
luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 05:14:52 -0800 (PST)
From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

>From the inside: Pull the top dress-up panel off.
Pull off the connecting rods on the back of the lock
unit.
Slide clip off. Push lock out.

It seems that there were a couple of different clips
or mechanisms to secure the lock to the door skin,
depending on your production range. But they are all
basically the same-- some either slides over or screws
down on the lock casing to secure it to the skin.

Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 05:02:29 -0000
From: "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_myrealbox.com>

I've just read about someone who had an original 2 key system who's
ignition key worked in their driver door as well as the door key, so
I'm not 100% sure I have the "new style" locks after all.  If anyone
knows the visual differences, I added photos to the #2894 folder.

Thanks,
--Greg

Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 08:38:35 EST
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: club meetings anyone?

I live on Long Island and would also like to get together.

I would be willing to host a gathering and if anyone is interested in
talking about or performing electrical / accessory repairs or mods let me  know.

Thank  you,

D & 6530

"Just Say  NO, to the COUCH POTATO!"

Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:01:10 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

You have to remove the inside upper door panel and reach way into the
door.

There is a U shaped friction slide bracket that holds the lock in.

Sometimes it slides off with hand pressure.  Sometimes you need to pry
it off.

Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 15:43:40 -0000
From: "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_myrealbox.com>

Toby, Bob, Kevin, anyone else in the queue: thanks for all the replies
so far.  Unfortunately, I'm now certain that I actually have the
original style door locks, (no clip, black fronts on the locks) even
though the ignition key worked in the driver door.

Has anyone ever removed the original style lock without breaking the
retaining grommet?

Thanks,
--Greg

Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 15:27:23 +0100
From: Laurent <dmcnews_at_dml_proust.be>
Subject: Re: Re: 17000 Vins..

Hi all,

I just join the ml and i just bought vin #17051.
Like #17006 i have no metric instrument, english fuel
label and no interference plate (the one which is
normaly above the vin plate in the driver's door ?)

Regards

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 06:07:22PM -0000, media1524 wrote:

> For what its worth, 17006 has:
>
> -No radio interference plate
> -English, not metric instruments
> -English fuel label (origional was missing)
> -Straight exhaust pipes
>
> Brent Lundgren
> VIN #17006

[moderator snip]

Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:53:22 -0000
From: "Noah Smith" <noahsmith_nc_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Another DMC newbie

Hi all,
I've been lurking the group for about a month now, and I've been
looking for a Delorean a bit longer than that. I've read several
threads where people asked thoughts about Ebay Deloreans, so I
realize that they usually require some work, and that things never
work out perfect from the beginning.

That being said, I was wondering if anyone could give me an opinion
on this one, that I was thinking on trying to get. The seller seems
to have a pretty detailed list of both what's already been done and
what else should be done. I don't have car repair experience, but I
am willing to learn, so I think I'd be aiming overall to do as much
of the work myself.

ViewItem&rd=1&item=4504983094

I was also looking at the photos of the underside of the car. Is this
about par? The description says "No rust" though I was trying to
figure out if the seller meant the stainless steel body in general,
or the frame as well. Anyway, any thoughts that you guys can provide
would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 19:40:50 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

I don't think it matters if you damage the locks removing them. Check
with the "D" venders and some locksmiths. You can't get any parts,
repairs, help on the old 2 key system. You will wind up replacing
everything and going to the 1 key system if you want all the locks to
work. BTW the lighted key was ONLY on the 2 key system so if you have
one it won't work anymore.

Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 19:52:37 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Another DMC newbie

Do not trust pictures for rust. This is something you really have to
check out in person. There could be large areas of the frame where the
paint is still there, it is just loose and the frame is rusty
underneath. Worse, just out of frame could be a big hole! I could
never buy a car on E-bay without having it inspected by someone I
could trust short of seeing it myself. Once the seller has your money
you get the car even if it was misrepresented. It is up to you to
prosecute a recovery. If it is out-of-state it gets harder and harder.
If you can't go to see the car how are you going to take him to court
in his state? If you don't have "car repair experience" you are
starting out all wrong. Guaranteed you will have all kinds of things
to do with this car, many you will only find out about AFTER you spend
your money on it. Your safest course of action is to get in touch with
the local group and have them help you find one. The best route would
be to spend more up front and get a "good" one. You should also get in
touch with the venders, they can sell you a Delorean and although it
may cost a little more up front at least you will know what you are in
for! Take your time and keep looking, there are enough out there for
sale so that if you keep looking you will find the one that's right
for you. Try to buy one locally so you don't have to spend a lot of
money for shipping, and you can see it and touch it BEFORE you buy it.

Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 21:03:43 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: 17000 Vins..(filling in the blanks)

Laurent and List,

Thanks for the additional 17xxx series information and I encourage
every Delorean owner to send in or update their car's information
to be included in the next Delorean Owners Directory release and
(or) to be included in the next Delorean Chronology update.

Enter your D data here:  http://www.dmcnews.com/directory.html

As the latest chronology list indicates, Laurent just filled in a
piece of the puzzle missing for the 17xxx series Deloreans.  This
new info suggests the Canadian/Metric spec. "100" Deloreans may
have started after VIN..17051 and spanned for about 100 Deloreans
such as 17060 to 17159, since Les Huckins 17160 is a US spec. '83
with a standard instrument cluster. (12K miles, excellent shape)

Keep the info coming and make sure to add your Delorean info to
the chronology and/or DOD listing at DMC News.

Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:12:32 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Noah,
Unless you can go and personally inspect it don't bid on it. I can't imagine putting anything up for sale without cleaning it. Doesn't speak well for it's general care. Looks to me like it might be worth the current bid ($5,600 ?) and that's it.

Chris

Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 21:20:25 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Another DMC newbie (Deloreans for sale)

Noah and List,

Although I have purchased a few Deloreans using ebay, I do not
recommend an ebay Delorean purchase for someone who cannot get
to the car for a pre-purchase inspection or have someone they
know (who knows Deloreans) go do a pre-purchase inspection.

The biggest problem that can occur with most "big ticket" ebay
purchases is TIME; usually not enough time to get all details.

A better option for most Delorean purchases is the DMC News
Deloreans For Sale page, where there is 30 - 50 Deloreans for
sale at any given time and it is still the largest continuous
source for Deloreans for sale.  Most of the ads on DMC News
run longer than 7 - 10 days, so you have time to have the car
inspected, either in person or by another Delorean enthusiast.

Odds are, there will be a Delorean for sale near you on DMC News.
(this was not a paid commercial endorsement for the DMC News site)

And when you do find and purchase a Delorean, record or update
the information about the car, to keep our directories current.

http://www.dmcnews.com/directory.html

Good luck in your quest of living the dream.

Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 23:37:53 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

Greg - It is possible, although you have to be patient and gentle.
There are two plastic prongs, or extensions of the grommet that go
into the door skin cutout and then spring out somewhat to lock the
lock in (so to speak).  You must gently squeeze the prongs together
against the cylindrical body of the lock barrel, and then slowly rock
the grommet back and forth to "walk" it out of the hole.  The plastic
was probably quite flexible 22 years ago, but has become hardened and
brittle with age.  This operation can be done with a needle-nosed
pliers that have the "bent" jaws, and is done after you've removed
the white ring that the rod hooks into.  Watch out for those sharp
edges.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com