From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2327
Date: Sunday, November 21, 2004 6:32 PM

1. Additional Difference DeLo PRV vs B28
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

2. Re: Delorean Spare Tire
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

3. Re: Delorean Spare Tire
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

4. Evaporator Core
From: "Jim Hamilton" <hami4511_at_dml_bellsouth.net>

5. RE: Delorean Spare Tire
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

6. front frame exten. rust
From: "heylacy" <heylacy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. front springs
From: nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com

8. Re: Delorean Spare Tire
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

9. RE: New Interior Design
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

10. RE: Delorean Spare Tire
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

11. Re: Anti Sway Bar
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

12. Re: Delorean Spare Tire
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

13. Re: Another DMC newbie
From: "Noah Smith" <noahsmith_nc_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: front frame exten. rust
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

15. Re: front springs & driving without the space-saver in the luggage area
From: "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk>

16. RE: Re: Anti Sway Bar
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

17. Re: New Interior Design
From: "dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick_at_dml_aol.com>

18. Re: Delorean Spare Tire
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

19. Fuel Injectors
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

20. I finally get to add a VIN to my name!
From: "Steve" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

21. Re: Re: no ign key
From: Owen Emry <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>

22. Re: Re: front frame exten. rust
From: Lacy <heylacy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. Re: deloreans magazine
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

24. Re: Somebody has to have this carpet!!!!!!
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

25. Re: Delorean Spare Tire
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 23:47:10 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Additional Difference DeLo PRV vs B28

Forgot to mention one other difference between PRVs as installed by
DeLo and Volvo: Lower engine casting -- DeLo used cast motor mount
bosses, with an angle much steeper than my similar Peugeot bosses,
while Volvo used traditional bolt on motor mounts. Lower engine
castings should be interchageable. Note that Volvo used a much smaller
oil pan in the 1970's than later renditions.

Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 00:01:28 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Delorean Spare Tire

Bolt pattern is 4" square. Chrysler was the only other manufacturer I
found with such in junk yards. Unfortunately all Chrysler factory
steel rims are 14" (will not clear rear brake hardware). I managed to
find a Stealth with 15" aftermarket aluminum rims. Fitted a brand new
Goodyear 195/50R15 radial to one of those and now have a spare
infinitely superior to the original donut. Only potential drawback is
width -- protrudes about 1" above the trunk wheel well lip in storage
(not an issue if you've ever seen my trunk).

Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 18:52:46 -0500
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

Hey Jim,

Give Dave Bauerle a call.  Last time I talked to him, he had a few
available.

1-740-595-3348.

-Josh

Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 23:56:13 -0000
From: "Jim Hamilton" <hami4511_at_dml_bellsouth.net>
Subject: Evaporator Core

I noticed some talk of evaporator cores.  I dont know if this will
help but here it goes.  I replace my evaporator core two years ago
with the PJ Grady substitute core.  Its size and fittings are very
close to the original so the part needed no adjustments.  The only
thing about it that concerned me was the orifice tube installation.
It did not seem to be as good as the original.  None the less, it has
been two years and I have had no leaks.  I hope this helps a little.
Jim Hamilton

Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 18:16:25 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

If I remember correctly, our bolt pattern is 4x100 or something like that,
which is the same
as on most Honda Civics, is that right?
(if not, someone will correct me I am sure)
In this case you could use any little Honda doughnut wheel out of a
junkyard.

Do you want it as a spare, or just to complete the car?
The original spares are heavy and don't hold air worth a crap.
If you change the tire you will find that there is no place to put your flat
tires
because it won't fit back in the trunk.

Best bet is to carry a tire plug kit, can of fix-o-flat and a 12v emergency
air pump.
You can fit all this in the same tire hole or behind the seat.
You can put some of that Tire Slime in your tires and you won't have to
worry.
However I just keep good tires and a cell phone, I figure I will just call
for a tow if
I need it.

- VB

Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 01:15:55 -0000
From: "heylacy" <heylacy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: front frame exten. rust

Hi, the 81 i want to buy sun. has bad rust on front frame extention.
is there an easy fix or do you have to buy the whole repop for $1300?
it looks like i could fab one  but wonder if it is worth the trouble.
has anyone done their own or should i pass on the car? thanks , lacy

Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 00:49:41 -0000
From: nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: front springs

Hi, Just fitted some front springs i had made which were the same
rate and physically 2 inches lower than the originals that came out.
I have re-done all the bushes and all the suspention is
still 'loose' so as i can torque it up at it's ride height as
opposed to up in the air.
Do Delorean's normally 'settle' after a while to the ride height
after fitting new springs and bushes or are they normally pretty
close as soon as you put them back on the ground and give it a good
bounce. My car is still sitting at the original height after a very
very good bounce, it is not drivable at the moment either, so i cant
just take it around the block and see what happens. Just after other
peoples experiences with this....

Cheers Nick-sydney

Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 19:53:30 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

Rich W. has a spare tire.   I gave it to him with my other left over
Delorean stuff.

BOB

Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 18:07:01 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: New Interior Design

I think the interior looks pretty good, and they got it to look a little
more "European",
however the center part of the dash and the console needs to be totally
reworked.
First of all, the light color is going to reflect on the inside of the
windshield.
I think it's color scheme should be either black or maybe the grey carbon
fiber.
Also, I don't like how proprietary the stereo is to the dash.
Maybe I don't want YOUR radio.
I want a regular ol' DIN style radio mount so I can add in any radio I want.
Some of us audiophiles change out our radios every other year with the
latest stuff.

I also already have my own style GPS and Satellite radio systems, and might
not want
to be stuck with the parts installed.

This portion needs to be generic and open to the end users decisions.

Also, does the center piece elbow pad lift up to reveal some storage?
There is just not enough spaces and cubby holes for goodies!
I need a place for my shades, some change, gum and other junk.
I am not a smoker, but I LOVE the ashtray, it is perfect for spare change,
lip balm...etc.
Where is the CIG lighter?

Also, will any of these parts be sold separately?
I for one would like to have just the steering wheel if nothing else.
It looks great.
I think that for a $10,000 price tag, most of us would rather want to try to
do this
ourselves if it would cut the price considerably.

Your response James?

- Videobob

PS- Josh, I know you do some pretty good recovered dash's and parts,
when are we going to see the new JOSH INTERIOR? - LOL

Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 21:36:31 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Jim, Watch ebay, they were coming up there all the time last year. Also,
some of the other on the list may have an extra.

Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 05:01:39 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com
Subject: Re: Anti Sway Bar

Joe - I installed one of the very early Addco rear bars on Winged1.
The company had just made a few at that point, and hadn't even
really put together a proper instruction sheet.  I don't know what
the current status of their bar is, but I had to do some creative
rework to make it acceptable for my car.  The "saddle bushings" are
mounted on a thin web on the bottom of the engine support cradle,
which immediately buckled the web.  I fabricated two doublers
from .25" thick aluminum-magnesium alloy, and bolted them on with a
bunch of grade 8 bolts to stiffen the cradle.  The angles on the end
loops were wrong, so the end link bushings immediately gave up.  I
converted the ends to Teflon-lined Heim joints and moved the
attachment location on the trailing arms, which worked very well,
although there is no longer any freeplay in the bar - it's always
active.  The mounting location of the saddle brackets also cost me
1.5" of ground clearance in the back.

Now for the good news - the benefit of a rear bar is awesome.  I can
walk away from virtually any other car in the curves.  My project
list for DPNW includes an improved rear bar that has none of the
problems of the Addco bar, but with all of the benefits.  Can't
commit to an availability date yet, although I have arrived at a
final design concept.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 06:10:53 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

Jim - We have one that is technically "used", because it came out of
a salvaged car, but it was never actually used.  Therefore, it is
in "as new" condition, at a used part price.  Check it out on our
website - search for keyword "spare" and you'll find it.  Thanks.

Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 06:20:36 -0000
From: "Noah Smith" <noahsmith_nc_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Another DMC newbie

> Hi all,
<snipped orignal thread>

Wow. I didn't aim to create sucha  touchy post for the list, but I'd
like to thank everyone who replied both on the list and personally
to me in regards to information on both the car and the Delorean
market in general. I really appreciate the information.

I think I'll be mostly sticking to a semi-local search from here on.
I definitely see where many of you are coming from in regards to
getting to take a look at the cars first.

Once again, many thanks.

Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 13:57:05 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: front frame exten. rust

It's not an easy fix but it can be done. The question is whether or
not it -should- be done. A detailed examination of the rest of the
frame should be done. You don't want to put lipstick on a pig, so to
speak.

My front extension collapsed. I did have it rebuilt by a local
welder but I stood over him and nagged him to death because I didn't
want it giving out on me at high speed.

I don't know where you are, but the DeLorean Welding Center recently
opened up in Chicago(?). They could fix yours or install a new one.
PJ Grady in NY, DMCH in TX, and DeLorean Motor Center in CA could
also do it. If you elect to do it yourself by purchasing the
extension you need to build a jig to get the thing aligned properly.
Another option would be to purchase Pierce Design's stainless front
extension. They bolt on. Of course the rest of your frame has to be
strong enough to support that. I'm not even positive that you can
mix and match components like that.

For my part, my front is solid but I still want a better fix. A
salvaged frame, a new stainless frame, or have my frame refurbished.
It's just a money issue.

Rich A.

Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 10:18:04 -0000
From: "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: front springs & driving without the space-saver in the luggage area

I have euro-springs on the front of my car and they talk a little while to
settle.  In fact, while I had the car jacked up and sat on axle stands for
the aircon work recently when back on the tarmac I noticed it was sitting a
good inch or two higher than before I started.  It soon settled.  I suppose
driving it will help it to settle at the new normal height than if it is
just sat with gravity slowly having its way.

On a different note, I drove my car around recently minus the space-saver in
the luggage area and noticed how much lighter the front end felt.  It meant
that the front felt relatively unstable compared to the more normal sure
footed feel you get.  My suggestion for owners who have no space-saver wheel
would be to add some equivalent weight.

Chris Hawes

Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 09:52:12 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: RE: Re: Anti Sway Bar

Toby,

Thanks for your detailed description of your experience with the Addco
product. I will pass your information on to my client.
Additionally I find your experience with a rear sway bar interesting. It has
always been felt that a rear sway bar would be an improvement to the rear
suspension handling characteristics. Keep us posted on your own project.

DMC Joe

Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 14:28:10 -0000
From: "dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick_at_dml_aol.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_y...>
wrote:

... If DMCH
> had designed an overhead console like in the proposed 1984 model I
> would be all over it (Hint, Hint)
>
> Harry Vin# 2696

Ihave never heard of this before....can you give a few details
possible....just sounds interestig

Michael Q
VIN # 02944

Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 16:25:21 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

> Do you want it as a spare, or just to complete the car?
> The original spares are heavy and don't hold air worth a crap.
> If you change the tire you will find that there is no place to put
your flat
> tires
> because it won't fit back in the trunk.
<SNIP>

The spare tire isn't all that heavy. Yeah, it might weigh a bit more
than say a 13" wheel off a sub compact car. But it's a helluva lot
less than a fullsize one off a truck. So in other words, what bearing
does the weight of the tire have on it's function? Weight savings
isn't a consideration for the car. You wouldn't be saving that much
to increase your gas milage, or decrease -mile times.

The spare tires do not hold air, because they were never properly
sealed. I took mine out, went down to Wal Mart, and had the guy in
the tire shop reseal the bead tread. Two weeks later, I had a screw
puncture the sidewall of my rear tire! After that, I drove around on
my spare tire for 2 weeks! Not a bit of trouble! That was 2 years
ago. And the tire pressure is still the same.

You can keep a can of "Fix-a-flat", or some other tire inflator in
your car. But that stuff is dangerous to have around. Take a look at
the warning label on the can. It will specificly say that you CANNOT
store that stuff in temperatures about 120F. Now, read DMC Houston's
web site about their sunshade, and the recorded temperatures inside
the car.
http://www.delorean.com/sunshade.asp
Even with the Sunshade in place, the interior of the car exceeds the
safe temperature for the aresol can. Now, if you want to drive around
town with the equivalent of a bomb in your car, that's perfectly fine
by me. But for safety's sake, don't leave that stuff in your car.
Most people store the stuff around screwdrivers, and other pointy
objects, which only makes things worse.

Tire slime might work, but still, you've got the inflate the tire.
Which is a VERY slow process. Not to mention a strain on the
electrical system. And if you get a sidewall puncture, you're screwed
anyhow. No professional tireshop is going to be able to fix that. So
you know that field repairs are going to be futile. And sidewall
punctures are not uncommon. I've had them on 3 out of 5 vehicles that
I've owned. Two screws into the sides, and one nail that went into
the tread, bounced off the wheel, and exited out the sidewall (that
one was new, and had less than 10 miles on it).

In the end, you'r best choice for a flat tire is going to be a spare
one to replace it. It's quick, and requires no additional equipment.
Plus, it's allot safer. Be it bitter cold, or scorching pavement
known to cause 2nd degree burns, you don't want to be lying on the
ground. Plus, even if it's moderate temperatures, who knows what else
you'll come upon. Scorpions, spiders, snakes, derainged homeless, etc.

A spare tire is the best choice for a car. And in the case of the
DeLorean, it's only the rear one's that will not fit into the trunk.
The fix for this is to either place the tire into a garbage bag, and
lay it on the front seat. Or, tie it down to the luggage rack, and
go. And not having a luggage rack on your car is not an option.
Anyone who places their car into a daily driver class, should
consider the luggage rack to be nessisary equipment.

Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 19:02:30 -0000
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: Fuel Injectors

Group,
Good performing fuel injectors with the correct spary pattern and
pressure opening along with new 02 sensor ( $19.95 ) can help
correct poor gas milage and increase performance.
So, from now till the end of the year I will clean, check spray
pattern and pressure test for $59.95 for the set and install new
boots free.
Old harden boots can also contribute to vacuum leak.
Have a happy holiday

Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 21:39:04 -0000
From: "Steve" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>
Subject: I finally get to add a VIN to my name!

Well after dreaming since the early 80's and looking for about 6
months, I finally get to add a vin to my signature. I live in the
Fort Lauderdale, Florida area and although I know there must be some
around, I have never actually seen a DeLorean in person. I have read
everything I could find about the car and about a month ago I met Ken
thru this group. For those of you who are not familiar with Ken's
(Mine Now) car, #2700 is in SPECTACULAR shape. I think Ken still has
the website up http://fldmc.com

I flew up to Orlando yesterday morning met Ken and his wife and
little boy, and fell in love with MY new little boy. A few minutes at
the bank and a few hundred miles later and I just spent my first few
hours getting rid of fingerprints and can tell this is going to be a
regular thing. Still I think I get the better end of the deal. I get
to clean fingerprints, but poor ken gets diapers...

Hopefully Ken will pick up another DMC and get to have the painted
one he wants.

So, Thanks Ken, and al the other members of the group for helping me
to be able to get in the car and feel like I have known it forever..

Steven Alves

Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 15:25:51 -0800
From: Owen Emry <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>
Subject: Re: Re: no ign key

cruznmd wrote:
[...]
> Once you get the blanks, you can go to any locksmith with a cutting
> computer system and he'll plug the numbers in and it'll cut a new
> key without having to have the original.

I've seen this advice several times recently, so I'll mention that I've now been to six locksmiths in the San Jose area, all of which got exactly nowhere with my DMC factory key codes.  Either I'm extremely unlucky or it's just not that easy.

-Owen

Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 14:39:26 -0800 (PST)
From: Lacy <heylacy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: front frame exten. rust

i think your right about the stength issue. i had a 81 in 1998 and the rear control arm mount rusted, broke and car sagged. but the front was ok. i sold the car to a guy who welded it. this car sat for 15yrs. its like new as it has 3000 miles, but the rust is bad on front and the e coat on rear is crunchy. i think ill pass on it. he wanted $4500 for it. it hasnt run for 15 yrs either. thanks for your help,  lacy

cruznmd <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com> wrote:

> It's not an easy fix but it can be done. The question is whether or
> not it -should- be done. A detailed examination of the rest of the
> frame should be done. You don't want to put lipstick on a pig, so to
> speak.
>
> My front extension collapsed. I did have it rebuilt by a local
> welder but I stood over him and nagged him to death because I didn't
> want it giving out on me at high speed.
>
> I don't know where you are, but the DeLorean Welding Center recently
> opened up in Chicago(?). They could fix yours or install a new one.
> PJ Grady in NY, DMCH in TX, and DeLorean Motor Center in CA could
> also do it. If you elect to do it yourself by purchasing the
> extension you need to build a jig to get the thing aligned properly.
> Another option would be to purchase Pierce Design's stainless front
> extension. They bolt on. Of course the rest of your frame has to be
> strong enough to support that. I'm not even positive that you can
> mix and match components like that.
>
> For my part, my front is solid but I still want a better fix. A
> salvaged frame, a new stainless frame, or have my frame refurbished.
> It's just a money issue.
>
> Rich A.

[long quote snipped by moderator]

Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 23:23:46 -0000
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: deloreans magazine

Thanks for the kind words, Dick. I miss your contributions to the DML.

Even back in the days of the 'zine, the idea was to have some truly
"useful" hands-on technical content. Since that is what happens every
day here, it's easy to find the subject matter.

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)
http://www.delorean.com

Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 23:58:42 -0000
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: Somebody has to have this carpet!!!!!!

As of today, these are the pieces of carpeting that are unavailable:

Early "dark grey" passenger floor carpet
Early "light grey" passenger sill carpet
Late "grey" passenger sill, left and right wheel arch, rear wall,
cubby cover carpets

So, Dave's car 15275 (and all VIN's after 10574) have the least
replacement carpets available in NOS inventory.

We've now matched replacements for all three types/colors of carpets
and are expecting (based on costs) to have the missing EARLY carpet
pieces available next year. As there were so many fewer of the later
style carpet cars than the early ones, the market is smaller and we're
 taking a "wait and see" attitude on those cars.

James Espey

------------------------------------
DeLorean Motor Company
Vice President
james_at_dml_delorean.com
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA
tel: 800/872-3621
tel2:281/441-2537
fax: 281/441-2813
http://www.delorean.com
------------------------------------

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "painterdave72" <painterdave72_at_dml_y...>
wrote:

> Hey all does anyone know of anyone who has a new piece of carpeting for
> the right hand door sill for grey cars?? Or does anyone know if
Houston is

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 00:01:46 -0000
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

You might try calling Danny at DeLorean Motor Center in California -
714-554-6794 - they usually have an assortment of used parts and he
may be able to find a good used spare tire/wheel for you.

James Espey

------------------------------------
DeLorean Motor Company
Vice President