From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2329
Date: Monday, November 22, 2004 2:25 PM

1. Re: Somebody has to have this carpet!!!!!!
From: John Podlewski <john_podlewski_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Re: I finally get to add a VIN to my name!
From: "Steve" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

3. Cannonball/Gumball question (James Espey?)
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

4. Re: PDC's Redesigned Trailing Arm Attachment
From: Bryan Pearce <bryanp_at_dml_pearce-design.com>

5. Automatic Trans Isn't Auto-anything
From: "dandan67" <dandan67_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Part # For Tilt Steering adjustment knob/bolt?
From: "Steve" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

7. Transmission Mount Warning
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

8. Re: Re: no ign key
From: "Owen _at_dml_ Aerodrome" <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>

9. DMC 24 image
From: "Jay Gosciniak" <gotojayjay_at_dml_aol.com>

10. Re: Re: Delorean Spare Tire
From: Owen Emry <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>

11. Re: Delorean Spare Tire
From: "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_myrealbox.com>

12. Re: I finally get to add a VIN to my name!
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: Delorean Spare Tire
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

14. Re: New Interior Design
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

15. Re: Automatic Trans Isn't Auto-anything
From: "Mike Polzin" <MPolzin_at_dml_sen.com>

16. Re: New parts available/coming soon from DMC (Texas)
From: "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_myrealbox.com>

17. Re: Cannonball/Gumball question (James Espey?)
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

18. Re: Automatic Trans Isn't Auto-anything
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

19. Re: Cannonball/Gumball question (James Espey?)
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>

20. Re: Delorean Spare Tire
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

21. Re: Cannonball/Gumball question (James Espey?)
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

22. Re: Part # For Tilt Steering adjustment knob/bolt?
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

23. Re: Cannonball/Gumball question (James Espey?)
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

24. Re: DMC 24 image
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

25. Re: Automatic Trans Isn't Auto-anything
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 16:53:05 -0800 (PST)
From: John Podlewski <john_podlewski_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Somebody has to have this carpet!!!!!!

painterdave72 <painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:

Hey all does anyone know of anyone who has a new piece of carpeting for
the right hand door sill for grey cars?? Or does anyone know if Houston is
going to be reproducing it anytime soon?>?? Thanks.. Dave.Vin# 15275..

How about the left hand door sill carpet????

Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 19:55:38 -0500
From: "Steve" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>
Subject: Re: Re: I finally get to add a VIN to my name!

Would love a copy of the warranty card... I subscribed to the magazine last
week so you have my address..

I really appreciate it..

Steven Alves

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 01:31:05 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Cannonball/Gumball question (James Espey?)

I couldn't find any info on this in the archives so....

Late last year(?) I saw a photo of a beautiful DeLorean with groovy
checkered flag decals over the stainless and aftermarket wheels. It
was also a DMCH monthly download photo.

I vaguely remember reading that this car had a modified engine, was
owned by DMCH and had been run or was intended to run in the
equivalent of the Cannonball Run/Gumball Rally...which I think
occurred in Europe that year.

Did this actually happen? If so, what was the DeLorean's placing?
How many miles was the race? Will it be raced again?

Thanks,
Rich A.

Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 20:32:19 -0600
From: Bryan Pearce <bryanp_at_dml_pearce-design.com>
Subject: Re: PDC's Redesigned Trailing Arm Attachment

While I was catching up on some postings to the DML from last month, I
found some discussion on the list regarding the redesigned trailing arm
mounting on the PermaFrame.  While reading through the posts I found an
inaccurate statement that I wanted to correct.

Someone mentioned that "there is no rubber in it at all".  This
statement is not correct.  Rubber has to be used in this application or
the some part of the mechanism will fail as a result of road vibration.
  The rubber used is not visible from the exterior of the trailing arm
attachment.  The rubber used is captured on all sides by stainless
steel.  The Heim joint used for the trailing arm mounts on a stainless
steel shaft.  The shaft is completely supported by two hard rubber
bushings.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I have scanned and uploaded
an engineering diagram we ship with the PermaFrame to our web server.
To view this picture, go to
http://www.pearce-design.com/trailingarmmount.gif

Please let me know if anyone has any questions about this setup.  Our
prototype frame has over 115,000 miles on this new setup without any
signs of deterioration to the mount or Heim joint.
Bryan Pearce
Pearce Design Components
2N629 Jefferson St.
West Chicago, IL  60185
Phone:   (630) 293-0945
Fax:     (630) 293-0944

DeLorean Part Fabrication

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 05:26:27 -0000
From: "dandan67" <dandan67_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Automatic Trans Isn't Auto-anything

I've let my D sit for the past 10 months, and much to the credit for
Mr. Delorean, it kicked over perfectly today. However, it appears the
automatic transmission is stuck in 3rd gear! Acceleration from a
complete stop is terrible, though I can get up to 80+ MPH without ever
feeling the tranny shift. It does no good to move the shifter into "2"
or "1" - no gear shifting takes place.

Anyone have any ideas as to the problem here? I'm not opposed to
taking it to the Delorean shop in Garden Grove, CA but I'm a pretty
darn good electronics and firmware guy (not to mention a good
machinist). So if there is a fundamental problem here, I'd be happy to
roll a board with a microcontroller on it to solve the problem for me
(and everyone else) - unless it's an actual mechanical issue.

Anyway, just looking for clues and ideas - thanks, everyone!

Dan

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 01:26:00 -0500
From: "Steve" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>
Subject: Part # For Tilt Steering adjustment knob/bolt?

I want to replace the plastic knob you tighten to lock the tilt steering. I am not sure if it is just a knob or the plastic is on the bolt. (Haven't taken it apart yet) I cant find it in any of the parts listings at DMCH.. Anyone know the part number?

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 04:14:18 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Transmission Mount Warning

On my project car, 7138, I found the transmission mount P# 106341 was
cracked in 2 places. One of the cracks was through and the other was
1/2 way through. I also found the shift tube P# 100269 was bent. I
suspect it was from previous owners popping the clutch and the sudden
torque loads on the mounts. Once the mount let go the trans was free
to move enough to bend the shift tube. This is an area every owner
should have inspected the next time the car is on a lift. The car
should be inspected at least once a year for leaks, cracked/bent
parts, torn C/V boots, fluid levels, trailing arm bolts, loose
bushings, etc. Other parts that break include the support bracket for
the lower speedo cable, and the right upper muffler bracket. While you
are underneath check the short rubber return hose coming off the end
of the accumulater. They are getting old and cracking.

Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 23:19:27 -0800
From: "Owen _at_dml_ Aerodrome" <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>
Subject: Re: Re: no ign key

James,

I've got a key on a Volvo blank that's working fine for now, so no urgency.  I just wanted to counter the often-repeated "go to any locksmith" advice with my own data point -- evidently not just "any locksmith" will do.

I may well take you up on your offer if I don't find anyone locally; I'd like to have a master-cut replica key eventually.

Cheers,
Owen

James wrote:

> Owen,
>
> A good idea is to call around to various locksmiths and ask if they
> can cut keys from codes, then tell them that it's for a DeLorean to
> make sure. If you can't find anyone in a big metropolitan area like
> yours, I'd be surprised. You can always give me a call here and I can
> can get it done for you from your code, and I know there is another
> DML'er here (also in the Houston area - Kevin Creason?) that does it,
> as well.
>
> Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
>
> Regards,
>
> James Espey

[moderator snip]

Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 21:12:38 -0600
From: "Jay Gosciniak" <gotojayjay_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: DMC 24 image

Someone told me that these are what the DMC 24 or the "Family Car" was going
to look like, is this correct? Link:
http://www47.tok2.com/home/clearblue2/3dcg/dmc-24/

Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 23:28:35 -0800
From: Owen Emry <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>
Subject: Re: Re: Delorean Spare Tire

This message from Dave Swingle, dated 2004-10-26, seems to indicate that there are plenty of DMC spares available, although he doesn't say from where.  Perhaps he'll chime in?

Regards,
Owen

> Subject: Re: [DML] That time of year again (storage)
> Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 16:27:30 -0000
> From: Dave Swingle <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
> To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>

> Not to start a run on them, but with all the cars being parted out
> there are a ton of leftover DMC mini-spares available. Many of them
> have a hard time holding air, which may not really be a big deal for
> this application.

[...]

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:19:09 -0000
From: "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_myrealbox.com>
Subject: Re: Delorean Spare Tire

My spare died the first time I tried to use it (got the car this
year).  I couldn't find any tire retailers that would actually sell a
new donut tire, so I started looking on eBay and found some.  If you
already have the wheel / rim, this is a decent enough option.  It's a
T125 / 70 / D15.  The one I bought was selling in quantities of 2, so
I actually have an extra, if someone can't find a good deal on eBay.

--Greg

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 08:38:37 -0800 (PST)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: I finally get to add a VIN to my name!

I must say, you got a truly spectacular car for
probably a steal of a price.  Even if you paid alot,
you don't have to worry about the hassle of a possible
"rebuild" project - exactly the point the vendors cast
when buying a car from them - pay more, worry less.
I'm very happy for you and your new car; I remember
that car specifically, and it is one heck of a great
driver.  Very very very well kept - a remarkable
conditioned DeLorean.  Congratulations to you, Steve.
Welcome to living the dream!

--- Steve <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net> wrote:

> Well after dreaming since the early 80's and looking
> for about 6
> months, I finally get to add a vin to my signature.
> I live in the
> Fort Lauderdale, Florida area and although I know
> there must be some
> around, I have never actually seen a DeLorean in
> person. I have read
> everything I could find about the car and about a
> month ago I met Ken
> thru this group. For those of you who are not
> familiar with Ken's
> (Mine Now) car, #2700 is in SPECTACULAR shape. I
> think Ken still has
> the website up http://fldmc.com
>
> I flew up to Orlando yesterday morning met Ken and
> his wife and
> little boy, and fell in love with MY new little boy.
> A few minutes at
> the bank and a few hundred miles later and I just
> spent my first few
> hours getting rid of fingerprints and can tell this
> is going to be a
> regular thing. Still I think I get the better end of
> the deal. I get
> to clean fingerprints, but poor ken gets diapers...
>
> Hopefully Ken will pick up another DMC and get to
> have the painted
> one he wants.
>
> So, Thanks Ken, and al the other members of the
> group for helping me
> to be able to get in the car and feel like I have
> known it forever..
>
> Steven Alves

> team, please address:

> sale see www.dmcnews.com

The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
http://my.yahoo.com

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:43:24 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

>From any of the numerous people who are parting out cars. There isn't
a tremendous demand for them so they end up as left-over non-sold
parts. I could probably find a couple in short order just around
here. If you need one let me know, but several sources have already
been noted on the list. And they all leak (the tires, not the
sources).

Dave S

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 12:01:56 -0500
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>
Subject: Re: New Interior Design

In my opinion, the "DeLoreans" magazine article describing the
development of the new interior is the most interesting article I have
seen in any DeLorean-related publication in a long time (DeLorean
World's 1996 series on the rise and fall of JZD comes to mind).  I
recommend this article about the show car's interior to everyone.  The
photographs of the structure they built beneath the new skin depict what
a monumental project this was.  Having seen the new interior in Pigeon
Forge I had little appreciation of the work that went into it.

Aesthetically I love the new interior.  It bears a striking resemblance
to various concept cars at last year's Detroit Auto Show.  In fact I
believe this show car could hold its own against any of those concept
cars in terms of twenty-first century styling.  I admit that my eye
finds the relocated inner door handle a bit jarring, but it does correct
a significant ergonomic problem.  The first time a passenger gets into
my stock DeLorean I must invariably give them instructions on how to get
out.  The original door handle is not where a typical American passenger
expects to find it.

This brings me to a deficiency in the DeLoreans article.  The text tells
the story and the pictures show the appearance, but neither gives the
reader a full appreciation of the functional improvements they have
made.  Perhaps this is because the improvements are all theoretical; I
do not believe anyone has lived with the new interior long enough to
judge how they did with improving ventilation, acoustics, ergonomics,
and their other goals.  Personally I'd like to see this succeed, and
hope that someday an independent reviewer can describe what it's like to
live with this car (a review in Road and Track or Car and Driver would
be awesome.)

Those of us who go to Ken's DeLorean Car Shows have seen custom DeLorean
interiors before.  The projects of Curtis Bryant, Ron & Cheryl Wester,
Bob Brandys, and Rich Weissensel range from subtle to outlandish.  But
this new interior is the first I have seen which seriously attempted to
give the DeLorean a practical twenty-first century cockpit makeover.

- Mike Substelny
VIN 1280, 10 years

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:58:19 -0600
From: "Mike Polzin" <MPolzin_at_dml_sen.com>
Subject: Re: Automatic Trans Isn't Auto-anything

I would recommend checking the automatic transmission fuse in the fuse box
behind the passengers side seat. If you look on the fuse box cover or the
technical manual you will know what fuse to look at. When you remove this
fuse in an automatic it creates the same situation so it would make sense
that either the fuse is blown, is making poor contact, or you might have an
overheating situation (notorius meted fuse block) in your car. Check those
and hopefully you will find your problem.

While you are in there it might not be a bad idea to inspect the rest of the
fuses as well, see if you have any other problems lurking.

Mike Polzin

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:19:38 -0000
From: "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_myrealbox.com>
Subject: Re: New parts available/coming soon from DMC (Texas)

The last couple of months has shown the release of several new items
from DMCH, of which, I've already bought some (trip reset shaft &
rheostat stop).  I've already installed the Rheostat stop and it works
great and the instructions were top quality.  (and $15 beats the hell
out of $150)

I began lurking this board and checking out the vendors almost a year
ago in an attempt to get my DeLorean fascination out of my system and
prove to myself that the "electrical problems" and orphan problems
were not something I wanted to deal with.  It was the massive support
of this community and the ongoing investment of the vendors like this
that led to me purchasing a DeLorean instead of "getting it out of my
system."

Thanks James, DMCH, and all the rest!  It's stuff like this that helps
people decide to buy / keep their DeLoreans.  Please keep it up.

--Greg

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:14:10 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Cannonball/Gumball question (James Espey?)

It was called the "Players Run", and took place here in the US, going
from Los Angeles, and ending in Miami. I have copy of the
DVD, "Mischief Destroy", and it has a couple of shots of DMCH's car.
It also has some really quick video of their facility down in Humble.

http://www.teckademics.com/destroy.html

If you're looking solely for DeLorean content, then you will be
disappointed. There are only a couple of blips, because after all,
D's are not the focus of the video. But, the shots that they have are
decent, and the video itself is great, and I'd reccomend it to anyone.

After seeing this video, and meeting the two guys from the
Teckademics crew at SEMA, (really down to earth BTW), I've been
wanting to race my car ever since. I have a copy of the "Gold
Portfolio" that mentions Steven Wynn did this for owners in
California for an event call the "Into the Night" ralley. It would be
nice to have something like this, but how many other owners here
would be interested? Remember, this would be racing, and not a tour,
or a caravan.

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:38:49 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

Before you jump to the governor, have you checked the fluid?  I know
it's a rudementary question, but you didn't mention if you did.

Johnny
5518

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:57:23 -0000
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>

Hey Rich...

I believe that DMCH was involved in the Players Run (2003?)
www.playersrun.com.  You can get a video of it at www.dtmpower.net
or www.teckademics.com/destroy.html.  The video is called "Michief
Destroy."  There is also some video footage and pics on the Players
Run site.

It was a seven day rally from LA to Miami.  I have a few vid clips
of the DeLorean I can send to you if you like.  (Huge files though
100+mb)

James, are you guys going to join for the 2005 run from Seattle to
San Diego?

Dave Jacobs

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 18:04:53 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Try PJ Grady,as he has quite a few that came from my collection,
(stored away from the very early 1980's)all were either perfect(as
new)or as close to perfect as you can get.

Claude
no vin

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 18:50:02 -0000
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

This was the "Players Run", and details can be found here:

http://playersrun.com/history/

It wasn't so much a competition as it was a "fun run" across the US in
one week.

The car has since been de-stickered, serviced and found a new home...

James

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 19:30:05 -0000
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: Part # For Tilt Steering adjustment knob/bolt?

The plastic knob is part of the bolt, and that's not available
separately from either the column, 106939, or the column neck 106937.

http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=1792&Qty=1&ShowCart=true

We don't have a photo of the neck up yet, but it's Item #25 on this page:

http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewDir.asp?PageID=68&PageCat=5%2DSuspension+and+Steering

If your bolt is stripped or otherwise won't hold, the neck is what you
need. If after inspection, you find that your column assembly is
rusted or even broken, you may be best served replacing the whole
column assembly.

If just the plastic is broken off the bolt, let me know and I may be
able to come up with a used one for you.

James Espey

------------------------------------
DeLorean Motor Company
Vice President
james_at_dml_delorean.com
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA
tel: 800/872-3621
tel2:281/441-2537
fax: 281/441-2813
http://www.delorean.com
------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 19:31:00 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

Rich - While I don't have all of the answers to your questions, I can
tell you what the event was ... check out the following link -

http://www.playersrun.com/roadrally/playersrun_home.html

Ladies and Gentlemen ... start your engines!

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 19:37:44 -0000
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: DMC 24 image

This is a computer rendition of what it might have looked like. It was
actually based on a design done for Lancia in 1980 - the Medusa:

http://www.supercars.net/cars/1980_at_dml_$Lancia_at_dml_$Medusa%20Conceptx.html

More interesting to me is the Marco Polo concept:

http://www.supercars.net/cars/1982_at_dml_$Lamborghini_at_dml_$Marco%20Polo%20Conceptx.html

Look closely at the wheels and tell me where you think Giugiaro got
those from!

James Espey

------------------------------------
DeLorean Motor Company
Vice President
james_at_dml_delorean.com
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA
tel: 800/872-3621
tel2:281/441-2537
fax: 281/441-2813
http://www.delorean.com
------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 19:46:47 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Dan,

You did not mention HOW it was stored/and if it still has the orignal
tranny fluid,this is just my thought, but you might have debris and
or build-up/gum build-up,possibly on the screen/valve-body  ,what you
might want to consider is a thorough power-flushing,which SHOULD
force out any debris/build-up and clear-up the valve body/screen,as
that is where I suspect your problem stems from,more or less
varnish/gum build up is preventing the valve body from shifting "up".
Any decent garage should be able to do a Thorough power flush on your
auto tranny.

Claude
no vin