From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2332
Date: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 10:16 PM

1. RE: Auto shipping
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

2. Re: Auto shipping
From: DeLorean5000_at_dml_comcast.net

3. Re: Cannonball/Gumball question (James Espey?)
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

4. Mythbusters on painting stainless
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

5. Source for stainless M7 bolts? Also Leaking Timing Gear Cover
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 22:03:41 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: RE: Auto shipping

Jeff,

Check out http://passport.fedex.com/default.shtml we have used this company
in the past with very good results.

DMC Joe

Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 02:56:11 +0000
From: DeLorean5000_at_dml_comcast.net

Jeff,
In the past I have used Horseless Carriage and Passport Transport.  I am going to NOT recommend Horseless Carriage, though I did have good results with them a couple of years ago.  Two reasons, the first being the last time they shipped my car (in July) they bent the crap out of my rear tow hooks.  Secondly, I have been waiting on them to pick up my car for 2 months now because according to them they are "backed up".  I have called them every week for 2 months and have been told, "we'll pick it up next week."  They said that yet again this week, so I'll see how that goes.  They have a pretty decent rate, but their customer service and handling skills leave a lot to be desired of a supposed "top notch" shipping company.  Something has gone wrong with that company recently, so I advise to stay away.  If I wasn't in the $ situation I am in now, I would have set up a different transport to ship my car.  So unfortunately I have been waiting it out with Horseless Carriage.  Needless to say, it will be the last time I ever use them.  The one time I used Passport Transport I had great results.  Give them a call.  I also recently found out that Fed Ex is now shipping cars.  They have an instant online quote service available.  Good luck in your search.

Regards,
Darren Decker

Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 03:11:45 -0000
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Cannonball/Gumball question (James Espey?)

Maybe someone would want to organize something like this either before
or directly after the next DCS in Chicago?  If we did it right after
the show ended we would all have a chance to get the D's together, and
whoever wanted to get in on this "race" or "cannonball" could all
leave in one big group.  I am sure there are some other sports car
clubs in Chicago who would be game for something like this as well.  I
think Robert has an interesting idea here, and it sure beats the
$13,000 price tag of the Player's Run.

Patrick
1880

Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 22:20:07 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Mythbusters on painting stainless

A few people that know I paint asked me if you paint stainless do you need
to get rid of the grain, This comes up all the time on if I buy a painted D and
 strip it what will I find under the paint

The answer is NO
you do not need to strip the grain.

After the first seal coat that bonds to the stainless you use K36 until any
grain marks are gone.  It is good enough to cover 80 grit scratches in one  or
two coats and you can use up to 4 coats so the grain is not an issue and can
be reversed (if  you strip the paint off you do not have to regrain)   If
there are flaws it can be taken out in the primer.

Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 03:46:04 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Source for stainless M7 bolts? Also Leaking Timing Gear Cover

Does anyone have a source for stainless M7 hex bolts of various
lengths?  I'd rather use them for my timing gear cover/valve covers
than put the original rusty ones back in.  I suppose I could purchase
new plated ones, but eventually these rust as well when the plating
wears off.

BTW, some of you may remember I posted at the beginning of this month
that my timing gear cover was leaking.  This occurred after I had
filled up the oil a few months after replacing the lower crankcase.
Apparently the gasket between the timing gear cover and the lower
crankcase failed to re-seal, and that is where the oil leak was coming
from.  It was very much a bear to remove the old gasket from the
timing gear cover, and even with the aid of a spinning wire brush, I
must have easily spent over an hour getting it all off.  Powdercoating
is on the way, as long as I don't ruin any main engine grounds in the
process :)

thanks,