From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2336
Date: Friday, November 26, 2004 5:55 PM

1. (unknown)
From: M5E <nitrousgarageworks_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. RE: (unknown)
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. DMC Comeback.
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

4. Re: 17000 Vins
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

5. New Toby Tabs for sale on Ebay
From: "beatlesra1" <beatlesra1_at_dml_aol.com>

6. Re: DMC Comeback??
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

7. Ventilated Cross Drilled brakes available?
From: "tk7642" <mig212_at_dml_msn.com>

8. Re: (unknown)
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: Video Bob
From: beatlesra1_at_dml_aol.com

10. Re: Numer of automatics (was "unknown")
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>

11. Nozzle, windshield washer
From: "modestoguy2002" <modestoguy2002_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Fuel filter question 2
From: "secret_jedi_guy" <secret_jedi_guy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. RE: Ventilated Cross Drilled brakes available?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

14. Re: Numer of automatics (was "unknown")
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

15. RE: Fuel filter question 2
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

16. Re: Nozzle, windshield washer
From: "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk>

17. Re: Ventilated Cross Drilled brakes available?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

18. Re: A Probably Stupid Question
From: "bjmccool" <bjmccool_at_dml_comcast.net>

19. Re: Ventilated Cross Drilled brakes available?
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

20. Re: Nozzle, windshield washer
From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 17:18:31 -0800 (PST)
From: M5E <nitrousgarageworks_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: (unknown)

 I just think the time is right for a comeback of the
DMC is all. So if the investors won't pony up the
cash, go to the stock market, and make it a public
company. We've seen remakes of all kinds of things,
trying to capture the market that has the cash to
spend; Our generation. The factory is still probably
there in Dublin. I disagree with the idea that there
would be no repeat customers. Build a better
mousetrap, and the world will beat a path to your
door. Build a superior car, even today, like the DMC,
and Dad will buy one, and love it, and get one for the
Mrs, then his kid going off to college and so on. Then
the kid gets into it, and so on. Plus there's always a
hefty markup on parts. Parts wear out, even on a super
car. And when you think about it even a super car dies
somewhere every day. So I believe the market is there,
and the time is right now for a comeback. Hell, they
even remade the movie"The Planet of The Apes." Ya-know?

http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo

Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 23:54:18 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: (unknown)

Don't kid yourself, the time was not right in 1981, and it is not right now.
It is hard to get $20K for an original, if they remade them they would be in
the
$30K-$50K range and people won't buy them.
If you want a new "modern" DMC, and are willing to drop that sort of dough
then get DMCH to sell you one with the new interior, and have a Northstar V8
slapped in it and then you will have a modern DMC-12,
except it would be more like a DMC-50.

If not for Back to the Future, no one would know or care about our cars.
It would be nothing more than a Bricklin or any other obscure car of that
era.
You can go to car shows and see one off type cars of limited production that
you have never heard of or seen before and find that there were thousands
made
yet you have never seen one.
...the DeLorean would be in the same category if not for the BTTF films.
If not for the movies, our cars would be worth even less than they are now
and you could'nt give one of them away.

I know I will catch hell for this from a lot of fans but you have got to
know it is true
and if you don't think so you are just fooling yourself.

I bought my car as the final cherry on the top of my Back To The Future
collection
and I am converting to a full scale replica.
If I wanted a car for it's performance and street respect I would have
gotten
something completely different.
The DeLorean is an exotic, but by no means a "muscle car".
Of all the cars I have ever owned the DeLorean is the slowest car I have
ever had.

I know it sounds like a I am just bashing the car to death, but sometimes
the truth hurts.
This does not mean I am not a fan.
My entire house is covered in DeLorean and BTTF stuff and I drive the car
everyday
so I feel I am speaking from experience.

As far as trusting John Z. DeLorean in a business relationship?
There is no secret why he keeps a low profile.
If you have seen the BBC Documentary "Car Crash" you would know why.

I think that DMCH's new interior is a step in the right direction.
I think that they could easily reproduce body panels out of carbon fiber and
make a new
front end, and make a whole new car based on the original that people would
go for if
it were done as a supercar with a mid mounted engine.
McLarean did it, Saleen did it, I think Steven Wynne could do it if they
spent the money.
However their market would not be previous DeLorean owners.
If you spent some time with some Lamborghini and Ferrari owners you would
feel
like a pauper when it comes to taking care of your car.
The average 10K mile tune up on Countach will set you back about $1 per mile
- yup $10,000
for a service.
What we pay in order to drive a car that gets as much or more attention is
NOTHING
compared to what others spend to have a car that is half as ostentatious as
ours.

Again, I am a hardcore DeLorean fan, I love the car and spend my time
defending it
on a daily basis to every know-it-all who approaches me at a gas station,
but I doubt
that this car will ever be remade, and if someone ever does use the DMC name
to make
a car it will not look much like this one and will not Stainless Steel, and
will 3 times the engine
and cost more than most of us will be able to afford.

- Videobob
http://www.bttfstuff.com

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 06:28:24 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: DMC Comeback.

The mid 90's would have been an ideal time for the return of the
DMC-12. You had allot more venture capital going around, and investors
who were willing to part with it. Especially if it delt with some
material items that they would be more than willing to buy. But now,
no. Now would be quite possibly one of the worst times ever for a new
car company to emerge. We're in the middle of a war, there are bad
relations with other countries, and were in an energy crisis. Even if
you could get the investors together, the consumers wouldn't be there.
Times are tight, and people are going to realy scrutinize where there
money is going to go. Not to mention the fact that investment
brokerages need to also be sold on the idea, so tht they can convince
their investors, and associates that they should turn over the cash to
invest in this. Thinking along these lines, next to tooling costs,
advertising is going to be the next biggest thing that needs to be
invested in.

Dunmurry is gone. The car could never be rebuilt there, unless it's
sole purpose was manufacturing for the European market. The workforce
would be choice IMO. With proper investment, Irish labor could rival
German quite easily. And at a cheaper price. But the political
hurdles, along with the exchange rate would be detrimental to the
company's profit margin.

Building a car that lasts too long is bad for long term survival. That
is exactly what killed DeSoto. Instilling owner loyalty into children
is a great thing, but it's not a viable marketing solution. Although
neither is creating cars with preplaned lifespans. Yeah, even JZD
himself said that it's wrong to convince someone to dump a perfectly
good vehicle that their otherwise happy with, by convicing them that
they need to buy something new, just because it's got some new trim
peices. But hey, that's what pays the bills.

If the DMC-12 were to return as a mass produced vehicle, it will not
survive in it's current incarnation. DMC-12 needs to be reduced from
an actual model, to a simple platform. Two trim levels that would
dictate both transmission, and cloth, or leather interior. That would
help to break up the monotiny of having all cars be the exact same,
and would further their values. One powerplant only to start, with a
2nd one to be added later on, with more power output. After a 2nd
motor arrives on the scene, strip down the luxury items on the lower
trim model, to make it more affordable, and to further marketing, by
making the car more visable to everyone. And as the car rolled out,
you would also sell various accessories, etc. to continue pride in the
ownership experience.

And that's just the car itself. You'd still have to build the
dealership network, AND invest a ton of cash into a financial division
for people to take out loans to buy the cars.

There is hope. But not now. Unless of course, you were to crank out a
hand-built, limited production vehicle. That would be an entirely
different ball game then. Not to mention, much more viable...

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 06:41:56 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: 17000 Vins

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_g...> wrote:

> Even rivetting them on is ridiculous from our point of view here.
>
> Each car needs to have the VIN stamped into the frame to get
> a german licence.
>
> Of course this is a little bit strange on a car where the fram can
> be swapped like that. But still better than drilling out some pop
> rivets and gluing on the new VIN plate.
>
> Has this meanwhile been changed ?
>
> Elvis

Nope. Our vehicles here in the states do conceal their VIN #'s in
various places on the vehicle. But their still pop-rivited into the
dash, and have stickers with bar codes, and build info attached to the
doors & door sills. I had a coworker who's car was stolen. They
stripped the thing down to chassis, and did a sloppy job of slapping
the old, dented body panels back together, sans VIN info. Except of
course the pop-rivited VIN plate on the dash.

I am convinced that the security features of a VIN apply only to
honest people. Especially after watching any H.B. Halicki film. Who
knows if I've ever purchased a stolen vehicle...

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:54:31 -0000
From: "beatlesra1" <beatlesra1_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: New Toby Tabs for sale on Ebay

FYI,

I have a new set of Toby Tabs for sale on Ebay for $55.00.. $12.00
less than what I paid for them.

Chuck
Vin#6125

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 01:16:33 -0600
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: DMC Comeback??

The factory is still there (in Dunmurry, N. Ireland actually), but I don't
think the current tenants who make aluminum wheels would care much for us
building cars there!  :-)

The cars had some problems from the beginning.  The parts are way too
expensive to tool and remake.  No one will invest in a car with the name
'DeLorean' on it anymore.  The cars are too impractical to be sold in
massive numbers.  With today's technological advancements, the entire car
would need to be reengineered from the ground up.  Etc. etc. etc....

There will never be a new DeLorean.  --And that's just one reason why I like
mine so much!

Jake Kamphoefner in 1063
-Enjoying the "rare car" jaw-drops

>  I just think the time is right for a comeback of the
> DMC is all. So if the investors won't pony up the
> cash, go to the stock market, and make it a public
> company. We've seen remakes of all kinds of things,
> trying to capture the market that has the cash to
> spend; Our generation. The factory is still probably
> there in Dublin. I disagree with the idea that there
<snip>

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 16:08:57 -0000
From: "tk7642" <mig212_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Ventilated Cross Drilled brakes available?

I would like to keep my Delorean as up to date technologically as
possible so I would like to know if someone makes 4+ piston, cross
drilled, ventilated brakes for it. I'm sure Brembo, AP or one of the
other companies has a set that will fit or be very close (with
larger wheels maybe). It would probably need some slight machine
shop adjustments though for mounting. It would most likely be a
question of researching the specs, and talking to them. Has anyone
done this already? Thanks.

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 16:41:49 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

If it is so slow, then why didn't you get a 5 speed instead? There
is a great difference between the stock automatic & the stock 5
speed. Just remember your experience with the automatic is the
smallest percentage as most have 5 speed transmissions. In the slow
category you are only speaking for a few hundred with that
transmission. Not the general population.

Joe OBrien

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:45:51 EST
From: beatlesra1_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Video Bob

Are you serious? If it wasn't for the BTTF movies no one would know about
DeLorean's and my car would be worth less and I couldn't give it away? Really...

The first time ever saw a DeLorean was in 1981, it was coming from the
opposite direction and as it approached I kept asking my buddy, What the hell was
that? A DeLorean was his reply. I was 19yrs old and from that day on I wanted a
DeLorean, it took be 20yrs but I now have one. As for the BTTF movies being
responsible for the continued popularity of the car, I had never seen a BTTF
movie until the 90's and quite frankly never like them, as a matter of fact most
of the people I run into at car shows haven't seen them either their kids
have. You forget John DeLorean was a highly successful Engineer and when he
announced he would produce his own car, the automotive world buzzed with excitement.

I don't know about you but for me my DeLorean isn't just a car, it's a way of
life. When I wanted my DeLorean way back when, I hadn't seen what the
interior looked like or even drove one (That came in 2001, thanks TRW!) I didn't buy
my car because it was popular I bought it because it appealed to me, as it
does to just about 95% of the people I run into today(Owners and Non owners) Yes,
I get some negative comments but they are entitled to their opinion as are
you. Most are misinformed.

I would love to see a new car produced, I would definitely be interested! How
many 23yr old cars are still on the road? I only put about $3000.00 into mine
when I FIRST bought it and most of that was upgrades and I haven't had to put
a dime into since,  Hell my car looks like it just came off the production
line! ( Thanks TRW, Myosky, Shannon and Joe!)

Dude maybe I'm misinterpreting your email but like I said the DeLorean is a
way of life! I've met so many nice people, made lot's of new friendships
because of this car..

As for value, I had a guy two months ago offer me $22,000 for my car, I said
no. Maybe you can sell him yours.

As for feeling like pauper next to a Lamborghini owner? Maybe you not me.. I
have my ultimate Sports car.

Sehnen Sich Lebhaftdelorean!

Chuck Darling
Vin #6125 Since 2001
DCO

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 19:18:47 -0000
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>
Subject: Re: Numer of automatics (was "unknown")

Joe suggests there is only a small number of automatic transmission
DeLoreans out there.

That's not actually the case -- the DMC survey information we have
thus far (available on the DMCNews page) indicates that:

36% of '81 model cars have auto transmissions
17% of '82 model cars have auto transmissions
18% of '83 model cars have auto transmissions

Taking the differences in production volumes for the three years
into account, the overall total is that about one third of all
DeLoreans appear to have automatic transmissions.

        Knut

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_y...>

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 19:42:14 -0000
From: "modestoguy2002" <modestoguy2002_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Nozzle, windshield washer

Hi folks

I am wondering if anyone out there has the spray nozzle for the
washers.  The car I have has only a half shell and doesn't clip on
and I don't know what it is supposed to look like.  If not, is there
another one that might work?

Thanks for your help.

Jim

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 19:32:19 -0000
From: "secret_jedi_guy" <secret_jedi_guy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Fuel filter question 2

Hey all, while changing my fuel filter I have run into a small
problem.  The "soft" hose at the top of the filter is connected into
a metal fitting that seems to have a section that inserts into the
hose (narrower at the end of the metal fitting but increasing in
size as it gets closer to the end of the hose) Iv'e seen this type
of fitting before the the name of it escapes me at them moment.
Anyway, the ones I've seen have ribbing that holds the hose tightly
as it connects to the fitting. The question is can I just loosen and
disconnect the hose first, then unscrew the bottom from the hard
line and then take off the fitting at the top and reattach to the
new filter?  I don't want to pull something out that isn't supposed
to come out.

Japheth VIN: 1223

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 13:49:03 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Ventilated Cross Drilled brakes available?

TK7542
#1. There are no calipers that use 4 pistons that I'm aware of.
#2. I do have cross drilled solid rotors that will keep the rotors about 250
degrees cooler than original. Most companies will do the specials if you
want to buy quantity, but not 2 or 4.
#3.As far as vented rotors, the calipers have to enlarged and to do that
spacers have to be made and fitted. You can them overseas but in the US the
insurance companies rule.
We have to consider Liability insurance.
Hope this helps.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 21:25:58 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

That is a significantly larger # then I was aware of. I don't remember
where I heard it but I was under the impression that the automatic
production was around 5% of the total and that there were very few 81
automatics. Obviously I was way off. This is just another good reason
for the DoD and the Production Chronology!

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 15:35:38 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Fuel filter question 2

I don't see why you would have a problem. Depending on the condition of the
rubber hose, I would replace it with the proper hose and use a double clamp
for insurance.

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 20:47:29 -0000
From: "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Nozzle, windshield washer

If you are only keen on sticking with OEM please read no further...

I haven't done this yet as I cannot find a left hand late 2004/2005 Jaguar S
type here in the UK.... take a look at the new spray nozzle.  The newer cars
with the sleeker rear have had the spray nozzles moved from the bonnet/hood
to the wiper arms like the DeLorean.  Unlike the DeLoreans which work okay,
these 21st century versions spray 4 jets up and 4 jets down per wiper which
would be far more effective than the OEM originals.

If anyone States side can try this out ((I checked it out on a UK
right-hander at a very helpful Jaguar dealer) and sure that the mirrored
left hand Jaguar version would slide onto the DMC wiper arm with no gluing
needed) and let me/list know it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Chris Hawes
vin 5255 which is surprising OEM at the moment except for the exhaust
system....

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 21:21:32 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Be aware that the cross-drilled rotors are NOISY. If you are thinking
about cross-drilled rotors then you HAVE to have the steel-braided
lines too. All of this isn't really necessary unless you live in San
Francisco or you are racing and are really hard on the brakes. In
normal driving they are fine.

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 15:47:55 -0600
From: "bjmccool" <bjmccool_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: A Probably Stupid Question

In actuality, the DMC has made a comeback. It just isn't in current
production. The support, organizations and people behind the Delorean are
stronger than they have ever been.
For the Delorean to be put back into production, the company would have to
take on a completely different structure. Of all the businesses a person can
start, an auto company is fraught with the most peril. It has nothing to do
with John Delorean "sensing it". In fact John Delorean has tried
continuously to put the Delorean or different designed Deloreans into
production since the original company ceased production.
In the automotive world, you can either be very big or very small. Any
attempt at re-starting the Delorean would need to be very small, say 500
cars a year and never go above this amount. The car manufacturing business
is incredibly cash intensive. You spend 2-3 years and millions of dollars on
designing and engineering a product, hoping that it will be successful
enough to pay the company back. If the car in question is your first or only
product, then its success takes on a life or death decision for your
company. At a small level, if something goes wrong, you can typically find
someone or some organization that has 25-30 million dollars to help you out
or for that matter help someone else re-start the company. At the level that
DMC was at it would need 3 to 4 times this. With no long tract record to
fall back on as a company and because of the amounts involved, people were
reluctant to help out financially when it got into trouble. Most other
specialty/small scale manufactures have gone through boom/bust cycles, where
a mistake was made on a product or other financial gamble was taken and the
company ceased and then was restarted. This was possible because of their
small size.
The big auto makers didn't gang up on him any more than other auto makers
that they were in competition with. At the production level that DMC was at,
it was little more than a gnat on GM, Ford, or Chrysler's radar screen.
There were different factors involved leading to the demise of the company,
but this wasn't one of them. In fact AC Delco was one of the suppliers that
John used. Why would GM allow this if it was really out to stop John?
I agree that we deserve what his vision has to offer, but it will have to
come from someone on the automotive scene today. John could be involved in a
new company, but it would have to be as more of a figure head/designer/idea
man. Someone else would have to be involved as a recruiter of financial
backing and as CEO. John has even stated that if someone would come up with
the financial backing for a car of his design, he'd name it after them.

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 22:02:52 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

John Hervey wrote:

>TK7542
>#1. There are no calipers that use 4 pistons that I'm aware of.

Front ones are quite easy to find over here - the Ford RS200 used them
as standard (and they're expensive compared to the single pot ones by a
good factor of 4!). We *think* there are some rear 4-pot calipers but
they'll be

>#2. I do have cross drilled solid rotors that will keep the rotors about 250
>degrees cooler than original. Most companies will do the specials if you
>want to buy quantity, but not 2 or 4.

*correct me if I'm wrong* but I thought that cross-drilling was to
eliminate brake fade as the pads get so hot they start burning and
releasing gasses - they do little to cool them down.It gives those
gasses somewhere to go. There're lots of websites out there arguing the
case for and against, but I'm personally on the side of solid
double-walled discs.

>#3.As far as vented rotors, the calipers have to enlarged and to do that
>spacers have to be made and fitted. You can them overseas but in the US the
>insurance companies rule.

The Lotus Esprit uses double-walled vented discs from a toyota celica
which are the same diameter out and inside as the DeLorean.
Unfortunately the mounting holes are about 1/4" further out. Very
annoying when we discovered this!

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 14:05:58 -0800 (PST)
From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

> late 2004/2005 Jaguar S spray nozzle.
> these 21st century versions spray 4 jets up and 4
> jets down per wiper which
> would be far more effective than the OEM originals.

But would our washer pump drive 8 jets?

The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
http://my.yahoo.com