From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2337
Date: Saturday, November 27, 2004 4:50 PM

1. Re: Nozzle, windshield washer
From: "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk>

2. Re: Video Bob
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

3. AW: Ventilated Cross Drilled brakes available?
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

4. Re: (unknown)
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

5. Car won't go over 1500 RPMs (and radio won't work)
From: Joe Angell <jangell_at_dml_tmproductions.com>

6. Re: Video Bob
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. Re: Fuel filter question 2
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

8. Re: Video Bob
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

9. Re: DeLo Notoriety (BTTF vs Original Production vs Daily Service)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

10. My big mouth...(Cannonball/Gumball Rally)
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

11. RE: Nozzle, windshield washer
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

12. RE: Ventilated Cross Drilled brakes available?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

13. Re: Car won't go over 1500 RPMs (and radio won't work)
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

14. Re: (unknown)
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

15. Re: Re: Judging at DeLo Shows
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

16. RE: Nozzle, windshield washer
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

17. Re: Video Bob
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

18. RE: Re: DeLo Notoriety (BTTF vs Original Production vs Daily Service)
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

19. Re: (unknown)
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

20. Re: Video Bob
From: Darryl Givens <mydmc5898_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: Video Bob
From: "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk>

22. Re: Ventilated Cross Drilled brakes available?
From: "jamesrguk" <James_rg_at_dml_hotmail.com>

23. Re: Car won't go over 1500 RPMs (and radio won't work)
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 22:10:15 -0000
From: "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Nozzle, windshield washer

As I have not been able to try it, I'm not sure.  If it doesn't and the
spray is a bit weak, do you know if the washer pump could be substituted
with one more suitable???

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 22:48:18 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Video Bob

1981 was quite possibly the best time for the car to come out. The
only real problem that they encountered was the currency exchange
rate. And even in such a slow down of automotive sales, the DeLorean
not only did well, but it out sold other competetive cars.

BTTF has done a bit to help get the DeLorean recognized somewhat, but
only on the street. But in all honestly, that's all over now. The
movies will be 20 years old next summer. And the good majority of
people out there have never seen the film. And of those who have, I've
never met a single person who said that after seeing the movie, they
wanted to own the car. And by that same token, I've never met an owner
who has purchased a DeLorean, simply because of BTTF, outside of the
minute handful here on the list. So either way, I seriously doubt that
BTTF has had much of an impact on both DeLorean purchases, or the
image of the car, either negative, or positive.

Along those lines, you've got to take something into serious
consideration. Bricklin is a little know car, as are many other
limited production ones, because of their obscurity in dealing with
their lienage. DeLorean is diffferent. When it comes to muscle car
heritage, John Z. DeLorean is requried reading for anyone. And that of
course segways into his later venture, DMC. So no, we do not own some
car that would have been damned to enternal obscurity, had it not have
been for a movie that was released almost 20 years ago.

If the DeLorean were to be re-released, the name is the best thing
going for it. People like the idea of an underdog, and many folks that
I have encountered still regret never buying one. Even after the
factory went under, and knowing that some folks had issues to work
out. The demand is there, but with our current financial climate, the
money isn't, just yet.

Fast-forwarding to now, the DeLorean isn't quite ready for re-release
into mass production. However, limited production is infact an option,
but it needs some time and money invested into it. Specificly, we need
to build up a new prowess, and build that into our new lineage. Facts
are facts, DeLorean just isn't a drag car. It is however an excellent
rally car. Yes, I know that you are not satisfied with your
performance, Bob. And the truth is that you are not alone, and are not
voicing anything new. So with that out of the way, let's look towards
the future.

If the DeLorean is to make any kind of a comeback, it needs to not
only become visable in a big way, but it needs to overcome any
negative comments that anyone in the press could possibly make about
it. And it can do that by way of becoming race proven. Choose some
good circle tracks, and work up to a major race that gets some good
press time. Find the weakest team, and set out to beat them. That get
the car noticed, and would have the press focusing more on the positive.

To acompany this, the car itself needs only minor refreshing, when it
comes to engineering. New front clips for even further improved
aerodynamics, some polishing on the suspension, etc. And of course a
major revision for the drivetrain. And that isn't that hard at all.
Even at SEMA, I saw a perfect replacement for the UN-1 that was the
same size, had the same flanges, and was ratcheting. Slap that up to a
small V8 with some turbo chargers, with EFI, and you're all set. But
the car MUST retain it's rear engine configuration. It keeps it
compact, which means lightwieght, and means larger passenger
compartment. Whatever concerned there are about too much rear weight
bias are easily overcome with a set of good tires, and a rear sway
bar. Add to that a tubular chassis, and maybe even a carbon-fibre
underbody, and you've got a car which is far cheaper, easier, and
quicker to manufacture than the unibody vehicles that most teams now
compete with.

With the low production numbers that Porsche, Lotus, and others crank
out, yet maintain both race, and sales presence, DeLorean could do it
with great ease, by comparison. As for Saleen, um, yeah. That guy
needs to stick with tuning cars, rather than building them. Because
the S7 is proof that he doesn't know the first thing about
coachbuilding, nor styling. In fact, I'd set my sights on someone like
him, as a target to beat on the track.

But hey, it's out of my hands. Unless of course something like this
were to actually happen, and they have a job opening or two... :)

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 23:50:23 +0100
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: AW: Ventilated Cross Drilled brakes available?

John,

you can get those 4 piston calipers at any better tuning
shop that is specialized on old Ford stuff. European Ford.
The front calipers - even the original calipers are available
with spacers AND larger brake pads as Ford used them on their
verhicles with more hp.
Ventilated rotors are available from a dutch vendor and a german
shop sells them, too. I even know a car here that has Brembos
installed because the guy wan't aware of the fact, that there is
an internet and a search function. He spent 2000$ for brakes that
he could have fixed/replaced for less than 500$. (Afterwards he
had better brakes but sold the car because he wanted a 5 speed...)

And I really wonder what insurance companies care in the states ?
At least in Cali the brake check was ridiculous - they just looked
for leaks - no brake check itself was performed. Here we have to
get our cars checked every two years - smog check and brakes included.
And about 50% of the right rear parking brakes are worse than the left
side because of the way how they routed the line around the tranny.
I never read about that problem on this list ?!?

These guys sell the 4 piston calipers:
http://www.timms-autoteile.de/d/main.html
direct link:
http://www.timms-autoteile.de/d/kat/wilwood.pdf

Ford Capri/Escort/Taunus/Granada is what fits our baby.

en6548

TK7542
#1. There are no calipers that use 4 pistons that I'm aware of.
#2. I do have cross drilled solid rotors that will keep the rotors about 250
degrees cooler than original. Most companies will do the specials if you
want to buy quantity, but not 2 or 4.
#3.As far as vented rotors, the calipers have to enlarged and to do that
spacers have to be made and fitted. You can them overseas but in the US the
insurance companies rule.
We have to consider Liability insurance.
Hope this helps.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 16:56:28 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: (unknown)

You might be right about that one,
the experience I had test driving a 5-speed was not good, the car that I
tested was a
real junker and it left a bad taste in my mouth.
When I found the automatic and drove it, it was smooth and fine.

I know everyone get defensive, but c'mon guys... there is not hardly a car
that
we can beat. Any new car will beat us.
The PRV just doesn't have any pep for that car.

I think that if it had an engine with twice the power it would be perfect.
- VB

>From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>Subject: Re: [DML] (unknown)
>Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 16:41:49 -0000
>

>If it is so slow, then why didn't you get a 5 speed instead? There
>is a great difference between the stock automatic & the stock 5
>speed. Just remember your experience with the automatic is the
>smallest percentage as most have 5 speed transmissions. In the slow
>category you are only speaking for a few hundred with that
>transmission. Not the general population.
>

>Joe OBrien

[moderator snip]

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 18:05:24 -0500
From: Joe Angell <jangell_at_dml_tmproductions.com>
Subject: Car won't go over 1500 RPMs (and radio won't work)

Hi all.  First off, thanks to everyone for the help in the past.  I
really appreciate it.  Unfortunately, things have gone bad on me again.

I just drove from northern Vermont to Connecticut for Thanksgiving.
Besides a couple minor mishaps (headlight relay socket getting loose,
high beam fuse blowing out and MELTING in the fuse box), things went
well.

The next day I went out and filled up with gas, putting about 11.5
gallons of 93 octane in.  Almost immediately after that (like, within
500 feet), the car started to run rough.  If I tried to push the gas
down to get the care over 1500-2000 RPMs, it would start stuttering and
threaten to stall out.  I managed to limp most of the way to my
parent's, but finally had to get towed the last few miles on a steep
hill.

Back at the house, I let the car sit for a while, then removed the hose
that feeds the fuel regulator.  The fuel dripping out was milky white.
I've had this happen once before in VT, again soon after I had filled
the car.  The best guess is that water somehow got into the tank,
although I'm not sure how.  The solution then was to drain the fuel out
and refill it with clean stuff.  So I ran the fuel pump using the
shorted RPM relay trick until the car was nearly empty, then got it to
a gas station and poured four cans of dry gas and half a tank of fuel
into the car.  Last time, this fixed the problem, but this time, no go
-- although the car ran better than it did the previous day, I still
couldn't get it over 1500-2000 RPMs (but I could make it up that hill,
albeit slowly...)

Anyway, I'm stumped.  The fuel regulator itself is new (2 months old).
There are new fuel injectors (3 months old).  New-ish plugs and wires
(early February).

Anyone know what this might be?

Another question:  When I tried to start the car after draining the
tank (ie: shorting the RPM relay), the car wouldn't turn over (the
battery was fully charged).  The starter made a loud first clunk like
it WANTED to turn over, but it wouldn't go beyond that.  After a lot of
coaxing (ie: I kept trying to start it for 10 minutes), it finally
started slowly turning over, and after a few more attempts finally did
that familiar starter sound and came alive.  I've never experienced
this before; has anyone else?

A second, probably unrelated problem I'm having is that the radio now
doesn't work, nor the cigarette lighter.  The fuse is fine, but neither
appear to operate -- not even in clock mode.  Speaking of which, the
clock doesn't work, either.  I'm wondering if the now-melted high beam
fuse socket is somehow affecting this.  This is an aftermarket Sony
radio, not the stock Craig radio.

I've been screwing around in the relay compartment, but I went through
and checked all my wiring and everything appears to be sound.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Hopefully I'll be able to
get back to VT in time for work on Monday. :)

Thanks!

-- Joe

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 17:26:39 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

"Delorean is a way of life"?
I think I can break this statement of yours down for you.

I am a geek, and I admit that freely.
I like gadgets, high tech stuff, sci-fi stuff, and believing in the
possibility that really
anything can be done if you try hard enough.
It is these beliefs that attracted me to the DeLorean.

However, I equate driving this car everyday to dressing up like Darth Vader
and walking
around the mall telling people, "May the force be with you!"
..because that is what you are doing.
You are driving a car that says nothing more that "look at me! Look at me!"
If not for 3 blockbuster films made in the 80's, people would just look at
the car
and say "wow, look at that silver car with the funny doors!" or most likely
would say,
"Hey, is that an old Lamborghini?"
No one under 40 years old would have a clue what this car was.

Now that being said, if you take a Delorean to a car show and set it up on
display
and put out one of the little plaques that show it's specs you will hear
people come up
and say this....(every time) "Look, it's that car from Back To The Future!",
then one of the
older people will say, "Hey, where's the cocaine?"
Then, someone who owns a lot of muscle cars will add, "What a shame this
car, it was
a total failure and such a waste, the engine is too small".

This is what EVERYONE says, (everyone who is not blinded by it's allure that
is.)
Basically every single review that has ever been on the car said the same
thing.
Are they all biased?

Now to get to the POINT.
The POINT was that you could not remanufacture this car and sell it because
there is no
market for it. DMCH barely stays in business selling the parts they have.
People view this car as a novelty and not as a real car, this stigma would
prevent any real sales.
The only thing that might happen is that someone builds a super car that
really performs and
sticks the DMC name on it.

I know it seems like I bashing my own car, but I drive this car every day.
I take it to every event I can and I also listen to what people have to say.
I take it shopping and I take it downtown to the strip bars and park it
right on the
street, then I stand back and watch and listen to what people say about it.
You should do the same and you will learn what the public opinion of it is.
Sure, everyone thinks it is "cool" but everyone also has a skewed opinion
about the car.

SO, if these people saw a guy dressed like Darth Vader walking through the
mall they would
come and say, "wow, what a cool costume!" but when Darth leaves they will
say to each other,
"Geez, what a dork, is he trying to get attention or what?"

So when you say "DeLorean is a way of life", this is what you mean.
It gives you attention that you were not getting before, it makes you feel
special because
you drive your attention getting car around and everyone knows who you are
because
it is such a novelty..... yeah I know, I do the same thing.

Not only do I have a DeLorean Time Machine, I have a complete Knight Rider
car too!
I am absolutely an attention whore but at least I admit it.
The people who are offended are the one's who are in a river in Africa.

All that said, no hard feelings and I hope you were not offended,
I am just giving you my view of things, you can make your own.

....your friend in time,
- Videobob

PS- If you want to follow my work turning my Delorean into a BTTF replica,
Check it out at http://www.bttfstuff.com

>From: beatlesra1_at_dml_aol.com
>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>Subject: Re: [DML] Video Bob
>Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:45:51 EST
>

>Are you serious? If it wasn't for the BTTF movies no one would know about
>DeLorean's and my car would be worth less and I couldn't give it away?
>Really...
>
>The first time ever saw a DeLorean was in 1981, it was coming from the
>opposite direction and as it approached I kept asking my buddy, What the
>hell was
>that? A DeLorean was his reply. I was 19yrs old and from that day on I
>wanted a
>DeLorean, it took be 20yrs but I now have one. As for the BTTF movies being
>responsible for the continued popularity of the car, I had never seen a
>BTTF
>movie until the 90's and quite frankly never like them, as a matter of fact
>most
>of the people I run into at car shows haven't seen them either their kids
>have. You forget John DeLorean was a highly successful Engineer and when he
>announced he would produce his own car, the automotive world buzzed with
>excitement.

[moderator snip]

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 23:47:41 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel filter question 2

In other words, use hose specifically rated for fuel injection at
75-100 PSI. Not all parts houses sell it. John Hervey does...

Common hose labeled "Fuel Line" only, usually rated 30-50 PSI, is
designed for carburetion (actually 4-8 PSI). You run the risk of
fouling everything thereafter if used in your DeLo, the only exception
being that short piece between the accumulator and tank return line.

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 18:01:50 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

BTTF did nothing to make me buy my Delorean either. I was 10 in 1981
and i still remember watching the commercials on our old console Zenith
TV, i wanted one when i got older. When i was 16 i got a job at an auto
parts store and delivered parts to a guy that worked on Harry
Kaufmann's  (Harry's Toy Store) cars and saw a bunch of Deloreans he
was working on, i never thought about BTTF when i saw the cars but i
wanted one when i got older. About 4+ years ago i was looking for a
BTTF poster and saw a Delorean for sale on EBay and realized i could
afford one and the rest is history.

I know people that never saw BTTF and know what a Delorean is.

Mark V

Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 00:23:30 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: DeLo Notoriety (BTTF vs Original Production vs Daily Service)

For now, most DeLo enthusiasts fall into two groups: folks old enough
to remember original production, and younger people who know the car
from the movies. Like you, I'm among the former. Took my first test
drive from a dealership at age 17 (when my parents were shopping for
what ultimately turned out to be an AMC, which I'm still driving 22
years later).

What fascinates me is a third group slowly emerging: contemporary
teenagers who weren't even born at the time of the movies, much less a
gleam in someone's eye at the time of original production. I run into
them all over the town I live in. In conversation you realize many of
them have never seen BTTF (bad news people -- those movies are as
dated as our vehicles now). They simply know me and the car from daily
service.

Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 01:25:16 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: My big mouth...(Cannonball/Gumball Rally)

Even since I asked about the Cannonball Run I've been receiving a
fair amount of email offline about starting up our own DeLorean-
style road rally.

Some interesting ideas put forth are:

1) Not restricting the cruise to DeLoreans only.
2) Ending the race/cruise at a vendor (DMCH?)
3) Catagories of drivers grouped together (Cruisers & Racers) so
that no one feels excluded, or that they have to push their cars too
hard or be held back.

It's also being discussed whether or not this should be done upon
the conclusion of the DCS every two years, or running it on the DCS
off-year.

I am NOT Ken K. I've never done anything like this but if enough
people were interested, I think I could organize such an event. That
includes lobbying for a certain amount of vendor sponsorship,
pushing for hotel group-discounts, big party at the end, etc.

If this interests any of you  ....please email me offline. I'll
start a list of email addresses to assess if it's worth doing.

Thanks,
Rich A.

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 21:48:14 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

I have looked in several catalogs of the manufactures that I picked up at
the parts show in Las Vegas the first of the month, but so far I have not
found an exact replacement or sub, but I'm still looking.
President and chief bottle washer
12/7
972-564-9321

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 21:44:10 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Ventilated Cross Drilled brakes available?

Elvis, I thought that there may be something over there but what about over
here.
Unless your racing or just riding the brakes, then what would be the
advantage of spending that kind of money.

Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 03:45:42 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Car won't go over 1500 RPMs (and radio won't work)

If your fuel was that bad you have to do more than just drain and
refill the tank. You should flush out the entire fuel system, wipe out
the tank, replace the fuel filter, and have the injectors cleaned. In
doing all that you will be inspecting everything and replacing any bad
or questionable parts. When you are done the car should run a lot
better. The starter locking up on you was probably caused by all the
fuel and water you pumped into the engine, it isn't compressable in
liquid form. Another reason not to jumper the fuel relay for long
periods of time without the motor running. You *could* try using a lot
of Dry Gas or injector cleaner and hoping for the best but that isn't
such a good idea.
 Since you do not have an origional radio there is no way of knowing
how it is hooked up. You just have to follow the wires and see where
the power stops going to the radio. On the origional radio there were
in-line fuses in the console behind the radio which can blow or the
fuse holders sometimes just break leaving the fuse loose and not
making contact. Just a guess but the radio may now be getting it's
power off the lighter circuit and if it went dead that may why the
radio is dead too.

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 22:14:41 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

You are correct about that there is hardly a car that we cant beat but
you are driving a 1981 Delorean and that is not a 2004 Delorean. Take
any mass produced American made 1981 car and see how many 2004 cars can
beat it.

You are comparing Apples to Oranges because you are comparing 1981
technology against 2004 technology.

Mark V

Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 00:33:05 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Judging at DeLo Shows

In a message dated 11/25/2004 6:51:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net writes:

You'll  need somehow to distinguish which cars are in judged
competition. I don't  mind parking inside, but I do not want my vehicle
subjected to the rigors  of judging. I already know it isn't
competitive without a bunch of judges  telling me so. Every car that
was pushed into the Pigeon Forge convention  center was judged in the
process (hence that long  line).

Actually that was not true
there were three cars inside that paid to be inside and Did not get  judged

Being the first time inside we did find a few bugs in the system and will
work them out but the main idea is it did work.

And again I could not agree with you more.

Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 01:31:14 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

The last time I ordered a windshield washer nozzle (part #100806) there
we're plenty available; is that still not the case?

DMC Joe

Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 01:05:58 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Bravo, and nice response.

Don't think that I don't day dream these things.
Imagine reworking the entire underbody and frame into carbon fiber?
The only thing I dissagree on with you is the position of the engine behind
the wheels.
If you cut out some of the rear deck and flipped in around like a Pantera
you would have
the perfect weight balance.
This is how all super cars are built, and fr good reason.

The DeLorean certainly had potential, if this car had been in the hands of a
few
italians it might have turned out different.

I tell you if I had the cash, I would put together the ultimate Delorean.
I would start with one of those stainless frames, I would replicate the
underbody in
either carbon fiber or the very least woven glass and then I would add some
sort of
a V8, or twin turbo V6 and something like Houston's interior.

Externally the car has stood the test of time with the exception of the
front grill
and headlights. We all know the grill is bogus and the lights just look
lame.
I think that Curtis nailed it when he put those new lights on his red car.
I might even like some spinning light lids like an old Plymouth or
Dodge......or retract
like an old SS?

In order to build a car like this you are looking at spending over $50K
and for that sort of bread you can get one heck of a car.

I have decided that once my "time machine" is finished, and the "Knight
Rider"
is polished off that I may get another Delorean and do as much of what I
have described
as possible. I have been looking at the Houston interior and have shown it
to a few friends
in the upholstery business and they were impressed by it, and of course said
they could
make something like it for much less than $10K.
So I am looking into the possibility of making something simular for my own
car
unless of course the price of the DMCH interior can be negotiated, or maybe
the parts
sold as a DIY project.

I would like to see the interior maximized for sace and usabilty and less
for being a
boom-box. It seems that the entire rear deck of the DMCH interior has been
made into
a place of beauty and sound, I would however like a place for my stuff.
I would like to relocate the battery to the trunk and chop all that wood out
and make
more storage for everyday life.
There is a lot of wasted space back there if you chop out the storage boxes,
the relay
and fuse boxes and the battery...move all that junk to the trunk when you
re-wire
the car with a whole new harness made of better wire and use that space for
things
like your clubs, shopping bags, luggage and of course your hoverboard!

I am surprised that some of our Monster Garage friends haven't made
something
like this yet....
Rich, we're waiting.....

- Videobob
http://www.bttfstuff.com

Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 01:15:09 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

It all depends on the age bracket, over 40 knows the car because they know
about
John Z. DeLorean, the inventor of the muscle car, the cars that your big
brother had
and the cars that got you laid.

Guys in my age, 25-35 remember seeing the biggest blockbuster of the year
1985,
and again in 1988, 1989.

The BTTF movies are in regular rotation on some cable channel most every
day.
Just about every kid has seen them at some point.

If they are in their young teens then maybe they saw the car on Jesse James'
show, and we all know what the kids think of him...they love him.
He has his own section at Wal-Mart now.
Jesse said our cars suck.....what will the kids think now?

Trust me, I do my fair share of positive promotion for the car.
Every Sunday night you will find me on a very busy street in downtown Dallas
where I meet my friends at the Karaoke bar for fun..... I display the car
all night there in front of the club.
I let people sit in it, take photos and I tell them about the car.
I feel I know what the public opinion of the car is from people who have
never seen
one or never even heard from one.
It's a long road ahead.

- VB

>From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [DML] Re: DeLo Notoriety (BTTF vs Original Production vs Daily
>Service)
>Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 00:23:30 -0000
>

>For now, most DeLo enthusiasts fall into two groups: folks old enough
>to remember original production, and younger people who know the car
>from the movies. Like you, I'm among the former. Took my first test
>drive from a dealership at age 17 (when my parents were shopping for
>what ultimately turned out to be an AMC, which I'm still driving 22
>years later).
>
>What fascinates me is a third group slowly emerging: contemporary
>teenagers who weren't even born at the time of the movies, much less a
>gleam in someone's eye at the time of original production. I run into
>them all over the town I live in. In conversation you realize many of
>them have never seen BTTF (bad news people -- those movies are as
>dated as our vehicles now). They simply know me and the car from daily
>service.
>
>Bill Robertson

[moderator snip]

Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 01:22:42 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Yes and no,
let's compare a 1981 Pontiac Trans-Am with a modern car...
let's say my same 1998 Ford Taurus Station Wagon (the same one that is
faster
than my DeLorean).
I can bet you that if you took that TA, a DeLorean and my Ford the TA would
win.
Ok, let's compare a 196? whatever GTO, Camero, Firebird, whatever.....
Do you want to race any of those?
How about a 1981 Datsun Z car?
Want to put your title on the line with that one?
...I don't think so.

1981, 2004, whatever.... the DeLorean came in dead last on every test.
Research some of the old Road & Track articles and have a read.

I hate to be a downer here but it is the truth.
The reason those old muscle cars are revered is because they were bad ass,
our car was a joke of the car industry then as is today.
It is a novelty, like Urckle's 3 wheeled BMW.
It's a lot of fun to drive around but it is no muscle car, and that is why
has not been rebuilt.
I stll love the car for different reasons.

I'm done.
- VB

Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 00:16:01 -0800 (PST)
From: Darryl Givens <mydmc5898_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Being a young owner I want to chim in here. First off anyone who ever meets me, or knows me at all, even by face will all tell you the same. Darryl hates to be in social places, dosen't like to be bothered and really won't say two words unless you approch him. He likes his privacy and will be talkative after he gets to know you first. So did I buy the DMC-12 for the fact that I'm a 20yr old kid who wants to pick up girls and cruise and say look what I got! No in fact even saying that would just be an insult. Also the BTTF thing... Ah I'm so tired of this, you only bought the car beacuse it was in BTTF. No, to be honest I'm a movie buff, I can quote lines from movies be it BTTF or American Beauty (best movie of all time) And really more then say 80% of my friends couldn't tell you on thing about BTTF other then Mikeal J. Fox was in it and went back in time.

What kinda of car was it... well DeLorean is never mentioned. When they first saw my car... they really didn't believe it was the same car. I don't know why, but pretty much they don't. My friends who are into movies know where they saw it first. But we are all in our 20s or younger, so we can't really remember seeing the orginal DeLorean ad or anything about it at all. Maybe some bought it for the fact that it was in BTTF or for attention. But and this is going to sound lame, but I love art also. The DeLorean is like a controversal painting, and something, your not to shure what is, but something just draws you into it. Thats why I bought the car, its just beacuse there is just something really neat about it. I love the car thats why I did it, and the only reason why. BTTF is just a giant DeLorean comercial for me, if they used a Mustange, I still honestly would want a DMC-12. Before I bought it I was going to find a 60's GTO, but the DeLorean was there and it just struck me.

As for the car making a come back.... I personally don't believe it will ever come back as it was. I mean the orginal seems to be making a large comeback, as many other vintage cars. But to see a "new" mass produced DeLorean, I don't see that happening, I really want to be proven wrong and would be right out there trying to own a new one, but I don't see it ever coming. As for racing, that is a neat idea to have the car compete. But put it up to new cars, Lotus, Aston Martin, Corvettes.... you would have to build a whole new car and just label it DeLorean... I don't know just don't see it ever happening.

And I'll admit I'm a movie buff, but I never wanted to buy a Lotus or Aston Martin beacause of 007, or the 1989 Batmobile, or the General Lee, or KITT, or the Ecto-1, or Lester Burnham's Red Firebird from America Beauty. I never bought the DeLorean beacuse of BTTF.

Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 09:47:15 -0000
From: "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk>

I can back up those of you who believe that Joe Public reacts to the
DeLorean AND NOT because of the BTTF films.

A few months ago I happened to be passing a school at home time and kids
don't hide what they are thinking like the majority of adults do.  Some just
dropped their jaws on the floor, and then I heard one shout 'it looks like a
spaceship'.... these cars attract attention like nothing else ever!!!!

Proud to be an owner.  The timeless design looks classic, somewhat
contempory and futuristic all at the same time.....  Not many designs can
share those contradictions!  As the decades march on the car will look even
more alien on our roads and look like it really has travelled through
time.....

Chris Hawes 30 years old and nearly one month!
vin 5255 23years old and one month!

Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 12:02:20 -0000
From: "jamesrguk" <James_rg_at_dml_hotmail.com>

There are 4 pot callipers availble for the DeLorean which should fit
straight on, I did post this a while ago along with some photos.

To be honnest if you can lock the front tyres up on your DeLorean,
there is little to be achieved by adding drilled rotors or 4 pot
callipers.

A DeLorean with good tyres (fundimental to good braking) and well
serviced brakes should be able to lock up the front wheels under
very heavy braking.

Most braking problems are down to poor servicing, old fluid, worn
pads, corroded pistons, cr*p tires and old break hoses which expand
under braking.

Just my 2 p

James

Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 14:21:29 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

Joe,

Right now it sounds like you're having the "shake down breakdowns"
on a recently purchased car. I don't know how long you've owned it
though...

David may be right, you may be experiencing hydraulic lock in the
cylinders. You must be careful as you could bend a piston rod that
way. Hopefully (and most likely) you haven't done so yet.

To over come this, pull the sparkplugs out, venting the cylinders to
the air. THEN crank the engine over. The excess fuel will wash past
the rings. While you have the plugs out, ensure that they aren't
fouled with the milky/fuel mixture. Clean them up and put them back
in.

Next, pour some Berryman's B-12 Chemtool in your tank with the fuel.
(Call around to your local parts stores) I would then pull all of
the injectors, and put them in clear glass soda/beer bottles. Jumper
the RPM relay as you did before and push the airflow meter down and
observe the injectors. This will flush the injectors as well as
allow you to observe the spray pattern. I know they're new but
there's no telling what junk is in them now after the milk/gas
mixture.

Lastly, if the injectors spray a good atomized pattern and they make
a "singing" sound, they're good. Reinstall the injectors. Check the
tank again to make sure it's clean and then replace your fuel filter.

If you're stuck in CT and can't wait for one to arrive from a
vendor, the local parts houses do stock them. The Puralator manuals
in the stores even list it as being specificially for a DeLorean.
It's not a Volvo cross-reference. Wild huh? Cost is $17.00.

Oh, don't forget to change your oil. Gasoline that has washed past
the piston rings will dilute it and degrade its lubricating
properties. Not to mention make it more inflammable.

Hopefully this will get you on the road.

Rich A.
--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Joe Angell <jangell_at_dml_t...> wrote:

> Hi all.  First off, thanks to everyone for the help in the past.
> really appreciate it.  Unfortunately, things have gone bad on me
again.

> I just drove from northern Vermont to Connecticut for
Thanksgiving.
> Besides a couple minor mishaps (headlight relay socket getting
loose,
> high beam fuse blowing out and MELTING in the fuse box), things
went
> well.

[moderator snip]