From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2338
Date: Sunday, November 28, 2004 12:10 PM

1. Why people recognize the DeLorean
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Nozzle, windshield washer
From: "modestoguy2002" <modestoguy2002_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. performance
From: M5E <nitrousgarageworks_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: Video Bob
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. bi-metal vaccum valve switch
From: "redrose041960" <irwalker_at_dml_gmail.com>

6. RE: Re: Car won't go over 1500 RPMs (and radio won't work)
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

7. Re- introducing the Delorean
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: (unknown)
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

9. AW: Ventilated Cross Drilled brakes available?
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

10. Re: Video Bob
From: "Jace & Jenn" <judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net>

11. ATTN: Video Bob -- 280 Z vs DeLo
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

12. Carpets available...
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

13. Re: Video Bob
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>

14. RE: performance
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

15. RE: Re: Car won't go over 1500 RPMs (and radio won't work)
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

16. Re: Re: Car won't go over 1500 RPMs (and radio won't work)
From: Joe Angell <jangell_at_dml_tmproductions.com>

17. RE: ATTN: Video Bob -- 280 Z vs DeLo
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

18. Re: (unknown)
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

19. Re: performance
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. More fuel filter trouble
From: "secret_jedi_guy" <secret_jedi_guy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: Video Bob
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

22. RE: ATTN: Video Bob -- 280 Z vs DeLo
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. grounds
From: "nitrousgarageworks" <nitrousgarageworks_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. Re: Video Bob
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

25. Re: Car won't go over 1500 RPMs (and radio won't work)
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 08:32:47 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Why people recognize the DeLorean

It's a shame, but on the way back from PF we made a
stop for gas.  With 4 DeLoreans filling up, some local
kids came over on their bicycles.  They asked if we
were from Monster Garage!  They went on to say how
cool Jesse James is.

I'm no fan of Jesse, and now that he is "with" Sandra
Bulloc, I REALLY don't like him!   LOL

The guys on those shows (monster garage, Orange county
choppers, and the like) make it cool to be an asshole.
 It is a shame that a show that should be educational
for children is instead grooming them to be
egotistical jerks.

<SNIP>

Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 16:27:46 -0000
From: "modestoguy2002" <modestoguy2002_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Nozzle, windshield washer

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_a...> wrote:

> The last time I ordered a windshield washer nozzle (part #100806)
there
> we're plenty available; is that still not the case?
>
> DMC Joe

I tried to order one and was told they are no longer available but
may be in a couple of months or so>  Jim

Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 08:42:49 -0800 (PST)
From: M5E <nitrousgarageworks_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: performance

Regarding DeLorean performance, and upgrades. Has
anyone investigated the availability, and effect of a
K & N air filter on the car, or perhapse a MSD coil to
boost performance by upping the sparrk energy output?

http://my.yahoo.com

Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 20:38:52 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Video Bob

  No offense to VB or anyone who bought a Delorean because of a BTTF
fantasy. But I think that is ridiculous, while I have had a number of
people saw "thats the car from BTTF right?" There have been countless
many more that have flagged me down to inquire about the car,or
recognize it and just want to get a glimpse of something theyll
probably never see again. Its even been mistaken for a Lamborghini
twice. People just stop what their doing to pull over if its parked
etc... Its foolish to think the car's popularity stems from the movie.
The truth is that its a rare, beautiful exotic car that people often
mistake for a 6 figure supercar. This argument can go on forever, but
if any owner/ enthusiast would do their homework (VB) they would
realize just how anticipated and what kind of a buzz this car
generated from its beginnings to its actual  production. While I liked
the movies, I find it insulting to hear that its merit comes from BTTF
and not from the father of the muscle car. Personally speaking of
course, I think converting a Delorean into a time machine replica is
even more of a slam against it. Would you do it to a Ferrari if it was
in the movie instead?

Harry Vin#2696
Clean, pristine and plutonium free!

Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 19:44:13 -0000
From: "redrose041960" <irwalker_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: bi-metal vaccum valve switch

I am looking for a bi-metal vaccum valve switch for a 1982 toyota pu
with a 22r engine oem#25820-13020
VIN# JT4RN44D1C0064517
please help

Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 12:08:01 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: RE: Re: Car won't go over 1500 RPMs (and radio won't work)

 Lets get back to basic's. If the engine is having trouble at high RPM or
when under load the problem is usually caused by "fuel starvation". Most
common area is fuel delivery. Check and see if your getting proper fuel flow
to the fuel pump. If your set-up is factory insure that the fuel pick-up
hose is not kinked or collapsing under suction.

Although none of the previous suggestions are correct you may be asking the
owner to perform many procedures that could create new problems. Remember
that the owner indicated that the problem developed after refueling. This
indicates that the problem may be in the fuel tank.

DMC Joe

Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 20:56:51 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re- introducing the Delorean

 If a Totally new Delorean were produced in a limited availability it
would sell out instantly, but not if was produced in great numbers.
Marketed and sold as a special interest vehicle with performance
minded design and power it would outsell everything regardless of
where it fell on the $$ range. I guess we can only hope, it would do
really well though, especially if it were an all out supercar brawler.
Its unfortunate, because JZD is truly one of the best at the game and
was instrumental in revamping the car scene.

Vin#2696

Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 16:04:05 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: (unknown)

You are still comparing Apples to Oranges. If our cars were meant to be
fast they would have used a different engine all together or the twin
turbo would have hit the streets but fate ruled in this occasion and
did not happen.

> Yes and no,
> let's compare a 1981 Pontiac Trans-Am with a modern car...
> let's say my same 1998 Ford Taurus Station Wagon (the same one that is
> faster
> than my DeLorean).
> I can bet you that if you took that TA, a DeLorean and my Ford the TA
> would
> win.

I wasn't comparing any car from 1998, i said take a 1981 american made
car and put it up against a 2004 model and a 1981 Trans-AM (145
horsepower). or Corvette (190 horsepower) will get blown away by most
of the cars on the road today, a 2004 Neon has about 150 horsepower and
could smoke a 81 Vette or T.A., i have seen it with my own eyes against
a Vette. Sure if you take a fast 1981 car and put it up against a slow
wagon it might win.

> Ok, let's compare a 196? whatever GTO, Camero, Firebird, whatever.....
> Do you want to race any of those?

The Delorean is not a Muscle Car, if you need to race something do some
of us on the forum a favor and sell your Delorean and buy a Muscle Car.
  I never said go back to the 60's cars. Yes i beat some of them with my
1992 Mustang GT. Apples to Oranges again. My Mustang had a 5LB Paxton
Supercharger on it plus other extras if that matters.

> How about a 1981 Datsun Z car?
> Want to put your title on the line with that one?
> ...I don't think so.

I beat them Z car's (150 to 180 Horsepower) with my 1992 Mustang GT,
they were slow. I have beat a 1981 Z car with my Ford Windstar, what's
your point? My Windstar has the 200 horsepower 3.8 if that matters.

> 1981, 2004, whatever.... the DeLorean came in dead last on every test.
> Research some of the old Road & Track articles and have a read.

Last because they were put against the fastest and best super cars not
every day cars like you were talking about. Research and see how many
American made V6's could crank out 130 horsepower stock, NONE.

> I hate to be a downer here but it is the truth.
> The reason those old muscle cars are revered is because they were bad
> ass,
> our car was a joke of the car industry then as is today.

Our car was never a Bad Ass, it was a cool looking ride. It was fast
for the day it was made. Apples to Oranges again.

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 00:11:10 +0100
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: AW: Ventilated Cross Drilled brakes available?

John,
people over here found out that Ford parts would fit our car - so why
shouldn't there be the same stuff in the US, too ? The stuff on that
link is expensive because it is a racing suplier. Larger calipers
with spacers can be found for about 50$ or so (used).

About the advantage - what's the advantage of tuning the car if you
can't brake it afterwards ?
I live in an area where the streets are like the Dragon thing at
Pigeon Forge. Also we have the Autobahn where 125mph is nothing special.
Under these circumstances good brakes are essential. On a 65mph freeway
they wouldn't bother me either.
But it can be continued. I know of a dutch guy who installed a double
membrane brake booster ! That's really cool.
On the other hand - this suspension can't really handle hard braking. Like
somebody mentioned it here on the list a few days ago - the lower control
arms are ridiculous and the upper ones aren't much better. John Z. knew
that as I read in STAINLESS STEEL ILLUSION. He thought about things that
some guys now are are working on.

By the way - most of the Super7 replicas use our calipers, too.

en6548 - not racing, just having fun ;-)

Elvis, I thought that there may be something over there but what about over
here.
Unless your racing or just riding the brakes, then what would be the
advantage of spending that kind of money.

Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 16:36:28 -0600
From: "Jace & Jenn" <judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net>

Check the movie again.  When Marty first sees the car.

"Ya, it's a DeLorean isn't it?"

and

"You made a time machine . . . . out of a DeLorean?"

Jace
VIN 3488

<snip>
> What kinda of car was it... well DeLorean is never mentioned.
<snip>

Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 23:29:15 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: ATTN: Video Bob -- 280 Z vs DeLo

Datsun 280 Z produced 145 ft lbs max torque, rev'ing to 140 max HP,
from a normally aspirated cast iron inline 6 (carbureted until 1976).
PRV is every bit as competitive, even in F Series trim. 0-60 times are
virtually identical _at_dml_ 10 seconds. This was the nature of DMC's
competition at the time engine choice was made (Toyota Supra and
Mustang numbers are similar). Remember: JZD's original intention was
NOT to compete with Porsche and Ferrari.

Perhaps you're thinking of the 1979 turbocharged 280 ZX? Hardly an
apples to apples comparison. Perhaps someone can provide Legend
specifications for a true comparison.

Trans Am burned a 4 barrel 350 -- certainly not an apples to apples
comparison. Is much larger too -- basically a muscle car versus a
sports car.

PRV is a respected engine in Europe. Renault used it in the Alpine
with great results (160 HP as I recall). Volvo bumped compression up
to 10.5:1 in the redesigned B280, eeking out another 10 HP (imported
by Chrysler for its Eagle). If emissions testing is not an issue,
there is plenty you can do to your DeLorean block to add a little more
pep.

Note that some people contend consumer PRV's are not really suitable
for forced induction, however, so you may be limited there.

Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 18:45:04 -0500
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>
Subject: Carpets available...

Hey Gang,

I went to visit Ken at his warehouse today, and he had a surprise for
me...well, actually for everyone.  He finally got some carpets cleaned
and/or dyed and ready to sell!  We only have one 1982-83 section of gray
RH door sill carpet ready now, but more and 1981 versions are on their way.

I've posted two auctions for the door sill carpets we have ready,
(starting today at 5 PM PST) and the rest of the carpet is on my ebay
store...viewable here:

http://tinyurl.com/6dhcw

Let me know if I can help with these or anything else.

Thanks,
Josh

Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 17:51:24 -0800
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>

Chris and Video Bob,
    I kinda a disagree with you guys re BTTF and kids....maybe I live in a
different neighborhood, but it is almost 100 per cent, when a kid, even up
thru teen agers, sees the car they say, "Back to the Future Car?"  When I
query them, they have seen all three of the films.   Most had never seen a
live DeLorean before!
    BTW, I have several cars and lost the use of a carport across the street
recently.  I have been leaving the D at my sisters place where she has a
large garage.  I have had numerous people approach me and some kids even
came to the door one day to ask if I still had the DeLorean!!  They were
pretty worried...Big smile when I told them I still had it and drove it.  I
have taken several of them for rides around the block.....the other day a
young lady I did not know approached me and told me I had taken her young
son for a ride and how much they appreciated it.....said he never stopped
talking about it!
Murray
Age 83 and 7 months today!
DeLorean owner 8 years
Vin: 05962
Lic:  DMC-XII

Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 20:00:42 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: performance

M5E
Yes I have and I have them on the web site. It adds a small amount of HP but
most of all it will add response to your foot better. There are also several
other upgrades you can do to also add to the HP.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/engine-tuneup.html

Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 21:30:01 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

Correction

In my previous response I meant to say: "Although all of the previous
suggestions are correct...."

One too many drinks for my post Thanksgiving dinner. Please accept my
apology.

DMC Joe

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 00:28:38 -0500
From: Joe Angell <jangell_at_dml_tmproductions.com>

> If your fuel was that bad you have to do more than just drain and
> refill the tank.

Oddly, this is the second time it's happened to me, each time at
different stations.  Replacing the gas seemed to work the first time,
but not this time.  In any case, this makes me thing there's a problem
with my car more than with the gas stations.

> You should flush out the entire fuel system, wipe out
> the tank, replace the fuel filter, and have the injectors cleaned.

Ok; I just got a new fuel filter to install and am looking at cleaning
the tank now.

> The starter locking up on you was probably caused by all the
> fuel and water you pumped into the engine, it isn't compressable in
> liquid form.

Excellent point; I didn't think of that.

> Another reason not to jumper the fuel relay for long
> periods of time without the motor running. You *could* try using a lot
> of Dry Gas or injector cleaner and hoping for the best but that isn't
> such a good idea.

Yeah, it didn't seem to do very much.

> Since you do not have an origional radio there is no way of knowing
> how it is hooked up. You just have to follow the wires and see where
> the power stops going to the radio. On the origional radio there were
> in-line fuses in the console behind the radio which can blow or the
> fuse holders sometimes just break leaving the fuse loose and not
> making contact.

I'll see if I can find them, on the off chance they're still there.  I
did see a light green wire running to the radio wiring harness.

> Just a guess but the radio may now be getting it's
> power off the lighter circuit and if it went dead that may why the
> radio is dead too.

I'm curious as to why the lighter circuit is dead at all, as it's fuse
appears to be fine.  Guess I'll have to pull out the fuse box and see
if any of the wires came off it.

Thanks!

-- Joe

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 00:02:15 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: ATTN: Video Bob -- 280 Z vs DeLo

You guys just don't get it...
What is all this fruit talk?
Apples? Oranges? Bananas?
Who cars?
What I am talking about is any of the magazine tests of the DeLorean as
compared to
the other cars of that year.
Have you ever read any of these?
We are talking about a car that costs twice as much as a Corvette as almost
as expensive as a Prosche and some Ferrari's of the time, and it can not
compete
with any of them in performance.

If the car was built like a Jag or a Rolls, and sold as a luxury sedan
(both of which would still beat it) then maybe when compared to a
Caddilac or a Lincoln it might be considered a luxery coupe, which I guess
is
what it really is, it just LOOKS like a sports car therefore it is put into
that catagory.
Just because it looks like a Lotus doesn't mean it drives like one.

Of all the things Lotus did, it would have been nice if they had also put in
that
inline 4 turbo charged mid-engine, this would be a whole different car.
Actually, it would be an Esprit with gullwings!

Here are some quotes from some of my reference materials.

Car & Driver, December 1981
According to thier tests, the DeLorean scored the LOWEST in most all tests
performed.
Tests included the Corvette, 280Z, Ferrari 308GTSi, Porshe 911SC.
They tested powertrain, handling, ride, comfort, convenience, sex appeal and
fun.
The places the DeLorean did well was in comfort and sex appeal.

In all speed tests from 0-60, and 0-100 the Dellorean was the slowest in all
tests.
It also had the lowest top speed of all the cars, and the worst braking
ability
however it's handling and manuverabilty did pretty good over all.
The Delorean weighed about as much as all the other cars except for the
'Vette at 3300 lbs.

The point of this conversation was not to bash the DeLorean, and not to
prove that
people only like for the BTTF films, the point was that the reason this car
has not been,
and never will be reproduced is because it is not a respected car when it
comes to the world
of racing and performance.
Unlike the Shelby Cobra, the GT40, the GTO, Firebird, Mustang or any of the
Italian cars
the Delorean's only lore is that it is Stainless Steel and has Gullwing
doors.
The Delorean is most famous for it's legacy than it's track record.
People who know about the car only know about it because of all the Press
John Z.
got in leaving GM, starting his own car company, loosing the company in only
a year
and being busted for Cocaine, and then there is the BTTF movies.
The car did not leave a legacy of performance records to make it's name.
Time after time the media has shown the car to be a "lemon".
In the BTTF movies the car was depicted as sluggish and would not start for
Marty
when he needed it.
In Monster Garage it was bashed the whole show and ultimately crushed.

The public and media opinion is that the car is a novelty and the owners are
"dorks".
(as quoted from the Discovery Channel show, "Monster Garage")

Personally, I feel that John Z. rushed things and cut way to many corners
and
put the wrong engine in the car.
it is a sad shame that this car wasn't built by GM under John's watch.
We would have a whole different car if that was the case.

All we can do is educate the public one person at a time.
Never forget that most of the people you meet daily are seeing the car for
the first
time and will most likely never see another one again.
It is our responsibilty to answer questions and educate the public about the
car
and too keep them in tip top shape.
If someone sees your car and the seats are all cracked up, the dash is
cracked
and the carpet is dirty then the tase left in their mouths will be bitter
and they will forever
confirm with others when the subject is brought up that the car is "junk".
We need to keep them looking and running like new.
My worst fear is to break down in public and be seen pushing it down the
road!

Anyhoo,
if anyone wants to read some of these articles you can email me and I will
send them to you.
Most of them are on Tamir's website.
I may add some of them to my website soon.
- Videobob

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 06:58:46 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_h...> wrote:

> Yes and no,
> let's compare a 1981 Pontiac Trans-Am with a modern car...
> let's say my same 1998 Ford Taurus Station Wagon (the same one that is
> faster
> than my DeLorean).
> I can bet you that if you took that TA, a DeLorean and my Ford the
TA would
> win.
<SNIP>

Bring it on, Bob! My V6 DeLorean, vs. your Trans Am, with the "Iron
Duke" I-4 motor. :) Aw, hell. I'll allow you to even bring the V6
model. Or perhaps the turbo model? 2 more cylinders, AND a turbo
charger. And it still only beats the DeLorean by slightly more than a
half a second! Give me a bit of alcohol to cut the fuel mixture with,
and I could beat that easily.

Better yet, show up with one of those 1980 "California" Corvettes with
the 305ci engine. Sure, my DeLorean isn't a super car. But at least
it's not wasting it's time with a V-8 motor that only cranks out
180hp, only comes with a 3-speed automatic trans, and only gets 14
MPG! My car might be an orphan mutt, with pieces from all over. But at
least it's not some gutless, black sheep that's a nasty blemish to a
longstanding marquee. Be it performance, or extreme emarassment, there
is always someone out there that is able to out-do you.

Apples vs Oranges? Hardley. We're comparing a sherbert push-pop, to a
pork bouillon cube. And this is the perfect example. Cars models
almost always have various trim levels that dictate not only their
interiors, but the drivetrains as well. The one DeLorean car only had
one release, and that was with the low end model. There were certainly
more engines that were waiting in the wings, VIN 502, blah, blah,
blah... Arguing over what may have been is futile. But knowing that
something better was coming is the important part, when you want to
compare various models, with their option packages.

Something else that goes without saying of course is that technology
always improves. Hell, I have a 1996 Dodge I-4 truck with less miles
than my 1999 Ford Explorer V6. And the bigger, more powerful motor in
the Ford gets far better gas milage! About 5 MPG better to be exact.

Now, is the comparison of a sport-luxury DeLorean, with a muscle car,
any more fair than the comparison of two manufacturerers about their
fuel economy? Especially when they use entirely different fuel
management systems, and operate under different conditions? No! It's
not an appropriate comparison, by any means. This just goes to prove
that we can argue back and forth, to and fro, and all the live long
day. And in the end, it doesn't matter a bit. You're stuck with what
you've got, unless you either sell it, swap it, or bolt something on.
And if you didn't know what was in store, then no one can help you.
You've established that the stock configuration isn't meeting your
standards. So either give it up, or tear into that drivetrain, and let
loose. Because you bought the ticket, so you're gonna take the ride.

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 06:59:57 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Do your homework follow the links, you'll find your answers on the
various vendor sites.

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 08:04:38 -0000
From: "secret_jedi_guy" <secret_jedi_guy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: More fuel filter trouble

Well I have been able to unscrew the fuel tube nut from the elbow
connector at the bottom of the old fuel filter, but now I absolutely
cannot get the fuel tube itself out of the elbow.  Granted that the
car is 23 years old and has a little over 60k miles and these parts
of the car have never been touched before, I still think that
removing this filter is more difficult than it should be.  I don't
want to risk any damage to the "hard" fuel line by trying to tweak
it out of the elbow connector, but I have to get it out in order to
change the filter, but I don't know what to do.  Any suggestions on
how to get the tube out safely would be greatly appreciated.

Japheth VIN: 1223

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 07:50:07 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_c...> wrote:

> Chris and Video Bob,
>     I kinda a disagree with you guys re BTTF and kids....maybe I
live in a
> different neighborhood, but it is almost 100 per cent, when a kid,
even up
> thru teen agers, sees the car they say, "Back to the Future Car?"
When I
> query them, they have seen all three of the films.
<SNIP>

You are indeed living in a differnet neighborhood. You'd really be
taken back by the number off people here that have never seen the
movies. It really amazes me too. Not just because it is after all
BTTF, but because it's such a part of pop-culture. I mean, how could
you never have seen these films?!? That's like someone who's never
eaten at McDonalds. I mean, I can understand if someone's never seen
"Buckaroo Banzai", or even "Breakin' 2: Electric Bogaloo." Those
flicks don't get too much screen time on TBS. But come on, never seen
"Back to the Future"? What kind of absoludicrous crap are people
making their kids watch instead?

And believe me. I got out of my way to make the most shocked face I
can when I hear this from people.

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 07:43:56 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

No.........you don't get it. Let's compare the DeLorean to any first year production car. Take the Corvette as an example. Nothing fit, it was uncomfortable, made more noise than a truck and had more rattles than a babys room. Chevrolet built very few in the first years and only expanded production as demand increased because the car improved. Chevrolet also had the advantage of a whole corporation that could take the financial hit and keep funding improvements.

JZD's mistake was the anticipated volume of demand for the car. Had he built a factory to produce, say, 5,000 units a year the overhead wouldn't have been a killer. I think for a first year car it's amazing but the sales weren't enough to fund continued production and the improvements necessary to increase the demand.

Videobob Moseley <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com> wrote:

You guys just don't get it...
What is all this fruit talk?
Apples? Oranges? Bananas?
Who cars?
What I am talking about is any of the magazine tests of the DeLorean as
compared to
the other cars of that year.
Have you ever read any of these?
We are talking about a car that costs twice as much as a Corvette as almost
as expensive as a Prosche and some Ferrari's of the time, and it can not
compete
with any of them in performance.

[moderator snip]

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 16:03:57 -0000
From: "nitrousgarageworks" <nitrousgarageworks_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: grounds

  One area I discovered is an inherant weakness in most older cars,
even newer ones, is deteriorating or inadequate grounds. It can
effect a great deal of systems in the cars, from lights, to engine
performance. Evaluating and adding grounds is often a wise and
necessary precaution, and often well worth it. I've added grounds to
nearly all the vehicles I own, especially the older ones. The ground
wire can be material as simple as common electrical wire.
Establishing new grounds especially to the engine will help spark
energy, the charging system, and so on. Something you may want to
consider on your vehicle(s).

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 16:12:29 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

I'm probably considered an "old timer" (driving a DeLorean since
they first hit the market) and I can tell you that the reaction to
the D has not really changed since day one (I bought my first one in
Jan. of 82). Yea, I get some comments that come from the events
surrounding the D over time, but in my experiences, having driven
nearly 200,000 miles in a D (equates to a lot of seat time and
seeing a lot of people and going to a lot of shows) that most people
are thrilled to see one up close and want to know more about it from
someone who actually drives or owns one. So many people have only
seen a picture of the D (in one form or another). Sort of like my
knowledge of the Tucker that I have yet to actually see in person.

About the only category for DeLorean conversations I have been able
to peg is the one for an owner. What the owners says about the car
usually tells me why they own it but, there is always a common
thread, the owner wants to be set apart from the crowd. Owning a
DeLorean is certainly a prescription for that.

I can say that I have made many life-long friends from the ownership
family, and continue to do so, probably because of that common
characteristic.

See you in the future,

> "Delorean is a way of life"?
> I think I can break this statement of yours down for you.
>
> I am a geek, and I admit that freely.
> I like gadgets, high tech stuff, sci-fi stuff, and believing in
the
> possibility that really
> anything can be done if you try hard enough.
> It is these beliefs that attracted me to the DeLorean.
>
> However, I equate driving this car everyday to dressing up like
Darth Vader
> and walking
> around the mall telling people, "May the force be with you!"
> ..because that is what you are doing.
> You are driving a car that says nothing more that "look at me!
Look at me!"

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 16:55:54 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Car won't go over 1500 RPMs (and radio won't work)

Given the chain of events leading up to your problem it is most
probably the fuel. "Milky" is definitely abnormal. I would, if
possible, get some of that fuel in a container and save it for the
state inspectors too. You might get the store to pay you something
or your insurance company. Premium at a low volume station is always
a risk in my opinion - but to your problem. Obviously, the way to
solve your problem is get good fresh gas back into the ENTIRE
system. Completely drain and refill with good fresh gas, the more
fresh gas the better - say at least a half tank. A new fuel filter
would be good and some fuel additive that helps dissolve moisture -
maybe some Sta-Bil.

When it starts, let it warm up before too many RPMs, spiking with
water in the gas could be hard on the engine. The fuel system is
recirculating and will do some self "flushing". Change the oil or at
least the oil filter. Get more fresh fuel into the tank.

Harold McElraft - 3354