From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2339
Date: Sunday, November 28, 2004 3:59 PM

From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

From: "Rustproof" <Rustproof_at_dml_comcast.net>

From: Eric Itzel <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>

From: "ferdaniraphael" <raf40_at_dml_wanadoo.fr>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

11. Re: DMC's Big Mistake
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

12. Re: MSD 6A on a Delorean ?
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 10:50:09 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: ATTN: Video Bob -- 280 Z vs DeLo

In other words you have a problem when you are driving around town and
any one of the 1981 cars that were in the Car and Driver report come by
and beat you and you are not talking about any of the cars made
recently?

I must have misread all of your posts about other cars today that can
beat the Delorean and how it was so slow.

I have read all of the reports back in 1981 and the Delorean was still
a fast car compared to the rest of the cars on the street except for
the few in the Car and Driver report.

If this is your problem dont worry because I am sure you hardly come up
against few of the 1981 cars on that Car and Driver list.

Mark V

On Sunday, November 28, 2004, at 12:02  AM, Videobob Moseley wrote:

> You guys just don't get it...
> What is all this fruit talk?
> Apples? Oranges? Bananas?
> Who cars?
> What I am talking about is any of the magazine tests of the DeLorean as
> compared to
> the other cars of that year.
> Have you ever read any of these?
> We are talking about a car that costs twice as much as a Corvette as
> almost
> as expensive as a Prosche and some Ferrari's of the time, and it can
> not
> compete
> with any of them in performance.

[moderator snip]

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 12:14:04 -0500
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: control arm bushings

I am doing some extra work on my car ( read between the lines powder coating) my front control arms and thus need to remove my control arm bushings.
1. Has anyone ever successfully removed them without destroying them and if so how?
2. Are there polyurethane or improved bushings available, if so where from?

Thanks in advance,

Cecil Longwisch

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 11:45:38 -0500
From: "Rustproof" <Rustproof_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Video Bob

A while back I stopped at a convenience store to pick up some coffee on the
way home. I parked right next to a brand new Vette. While I was talking to
the guy in the Vette, another guy walked out of the store, didn't look twice
at the Vette, turned to my car and said: "NICE RIDE! I guess that pretty
much sums it up...now doesn't it?
Rustproof
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 12:14:41 -0500
From: Eric Itzel <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>
Subject: Re: More fuel filter trouble

Hey Japheth,

I agree the fuel filter is a bit tough of a job... the first time I did it I
broke my fuel line. Try not to mess up that compression ferrell-
replacements are very hard to come by.

Have you tried soaking the fitting in penetrating oil or a PbBlaster like
product?

Also, try to remove the filter from the elbow connector- perhaps the
movement required will break the lower fitting free of the fuel line.

One more thing- make sure to use a backup wrench on the filter when
reassembling- it's not too hard to bend or break that steel line.

I hope this helps.

Eric Itzel

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 17:24:33 -0000
From: "ferdaniraphael" <raf40_at_dml_wanadoo.fr>
Subject: MSD 6A on a Delorean ?

Hi

who ever tried a MSD-6A ignition box on a Delorean ? Do you just
swap the stock ECU for the MSD ?
thanks for your help ;-)
Raphael

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 17:50:39 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Remove the 2 screws that hold the fuel filter bracket to the frame.
Disconnect the other hose by loosening the banjo (hollow) bolt. Now
GENTLY rotate the filter and elbow back and forth JUST A LITTLE BIT.
It *should* break loose from the hard line and the compression
ferrule. This takes a lot of feel and experience so you know just how
much you can force it before you bend the line. Watch carefully what
you are doing, soemtimes a slight tap with a hammer in the right spot
will "encourage" the parts to separate. Age has nothing to do with
this. When this type of connection is made up and tightened correctly
this is EXACTLY how it is supposed to be. Don't be afraid to hit the
filter if you have to. If you damage the filter it doesn't matter, you
are replacing it after all. Use eye protection, you can get a drop of
fuel in your eye when working on this.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "secret_jedi_guy"

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 12:27:23 -0600
From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: MSD 6A on a Delorean ?

Make sure it will work in an odd firing engine. I don't belive MSD makes
anything for the odd firing sequence.

Bruce Benson

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 12:20:11 -0600
From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

The reality of the DeLorean is that the gestation period for getting the car
to market was dragging on longer than the anxious British politicians had
patients for. The stainless body panels were a unique selling point but they
also didn't require painting. Developing a paint facility in an automotive
assembly plant is one the most expensive aspects of assembling a car.
Testing and tuning an engine to meet the stringent U.S. envirnonmental
regulations are both expensive and time consuming. Buying an engine that
could be accepted  by U.S. rules with minimal modifications made getting the
cars out the door and the money back to the British government happen that
much quicker. Not having to paint the vehicles meant that the factory could
be put into operation that much quicker. I'm sure it was felt that this
would all buy time and relive some of the pressure from the British
politicians and engine power could be introduced down the road as the market
for the car grew. Unfortunately there was a world wide recession growing as
the DeLorean was being introduced and no cars were selling well, not the
least of which were the rather exotic vehicles that never sold in large
numbers, even in the best of times. There is so much more to producing an
automobile for the masses than simply building a frame and throwing an
engine in it. I think there was more method than madness in building the car
the way they did.

Bruce Benson

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:32:57 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: rocker arm noise?

Even though I dont drive my car around all that much, it was in
stellar shape when I bought it about a year ago. It was even better
after the mammoth overhaul PJ Grady performed. My window motors went
bad, but that is to be expected, the only thing that concerns me
though is what I might be mistaking as valve train noise. In idle or
in motion I guess, I hear a clicking or ticking that I would normally
think might be rocker arm noise. By normally I mean by chevy small
block standards. I'm not sure what it might be, for all intents and
purposes the car has a clean bill of health with less than 500 miles
on it. It runs great, starts great and I havent noticed any
sluggishness or unwillingness to accelerate. Any thoughts as to what
it might be?   thanks guys

Harry Vin #2696

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 13:11:24 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

It's not easy as your finding out. But, If you do mess up the connection I
have a much easier connection on the web site under the fuel section.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/fuel-filter-btm-connection
.jpg

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:42:29 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: DMC's Big Mistake

The DeLo is no Ferrari or Porsche (or Lincoln, thank you very much).
Comparing it to them is ludicrous. That was DMC's big mistake. Had the
company adhered to JZD's original intention of pricing the car at $12K,
which would have pitted it against Datsuns and Toyotas, history might
have turned out very differently. There was an extremely limited
market for the car at $25K, which DMC exhausted within a couple of
months. Ask anyone in high school in the early 80's what was hot all
over the parking lot -- Mustang III's, Mazda RX's, etc. *THAT* should
have been DMC's competition. How many Preludes did Honda sell to young
adults looking for an affordable sports car? *THAT* should have been
the target audience.

> [...]
> compared to
> the other cars of that year.
> Have you ever read any of these?
> We are talking about a car that costs twice as much as a Corvette as
almost
> as expensive as a Prosche and some Ferrari's of the time, and it can
not
> compete
> with any of them in performance.
>
> If the car was built like a Jag or a Rolls, and sold as a luxury sedan
> (both of which would still beat it) then maybe when compared to a
> Caddilac or a Lincoln it might be considered a luxery coupe, which I
guess
> is
> what it really is, it just LOOKS like a sports car therefore it is
put into
> that catagory.
> Just because it looks like a Lotus doesn't mean it drives like one.
>
> Of all the things Lotus did, it would have been nice if they had
also put in
> that
> inline 4 turbo charged mid-engine, this would be a whole different car.
> Actually, it would be an Esprit with gullwings!
>
> Here are some quotes from some of my reference materials.
>
> Car & Driver, December 1981
> According to thier tests, the DeLorean scored the LOWEST in most all
tests
> performed.
> Tests included the Corvette, 280Z, Ferrari 308GTSi, Porshe 911SC.
> They tested powertrain, handling, ride, comfort, convenience, sex
appeal and
> fun.
> The places the DeLorean did well was in comfort and sex appeal.
>
> In all speed tests from 0-60, and 0-100 the Dellorean was the
slowest in all
> tests.
> It also had the lowest top speed of all the cars, and the worst braking
> ability
> however it's handling and manuverabilty did pretty good over all.
> The Delorean weighed about as much as all the other cars except for the
> 'Vette at 3300 lbs.
>

> The point of this conversation was not to bash the DeLorean, and not to
> prove that
> people only like for the BTTF films, the point was that the reason
this car
> has not been,
> and never will be reproduced is because it is not a respected car
when it
> comes to the world
> of racing and performance.
> Unlike the Shelby Cobra, the GT40, the GTO, Firebird, Mustang or any
of the
> Italian cars
> the Delorean's only lore is that it is Stainless Steel and has Gullwing
> doors.
> The Delorean is most famous for it's legacy than it's track record.
> People who know about the car only know about it because of all the
Press
> John Z.
> got in leaving GM, starting his own car company, loosing the company
in only
> a year
> and being busted for Cocaine, and then there is the BTTF movies.
> The car did not leave a legacy of performance records to make it's name.
> Time after time the media has shown the car to be a "lemon".
> In the BTTF movies the car was depicted as sluggish and would not
start for
> Marty
> when he needed it.
> In Monster Garage it was bashed the whole show and ultimately crushed.
>
> The public and media opinion is that the car is a novelty and the
owners are
> "dorks".
> (as quoted from the Discovery Channel show, "Monster Garage")
>
> Personally, I feel that John Z. rushed things and cut way to many
corners
> and
> put the wrong engine in the car.
> it is a sad shame that this car wasn't built by GM under John's watch.
> We would have a whole different car if that was the case.
>
> All we can do is educate the public one person at a time.
> Never forget that most of the people you meet daily are seeing the
car for
> the first
> time and will most likely never see another one again.
> It is our responsibilty to answer questions and educate the public
about the
> car
> and too keep them in tip top shape.
> If someone sees your car and the seats are all cracked up, the dash is
> cracked
> and the carpet is dirty then the tase left in their mouths will be
bitter
> and they will forever
> confirm with others when the subject is brought up that the car is
"junk".
> We need to keep them looking and running like new.
> My worst fear is to break down in public and be seen pushing it down
the
> road!
>
> Anyhoo,
> if anyone wants to read some of these articles you can email me and
I will

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 19:58:35 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

I've seen it done ( not sure of the exact MSC unit). I removed it
from a car I was working on because it seemed to be more trouble than
it was worth. We were troublshooting an ignition issue and didn't
want to mess with it. My recollection is that the stock ECU stays
there, the MSD essentially uses the stock ECU to fire it, then the
MSD runs the coil. I don't know why odd or even fire should make any
difference, it just fires when told to.

What gain are you expecting?

Dave S