From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2340
Date: Monday, November 29, 2004 9:15 AM

1. RE: grounds
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

2. Re: rocker arm noise?
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

3. RE: MSD 6A on a Delorean ?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

4. Re: Re: Car won't go over 1500 RPMs (and radio won't work)
From: Joe Angell <jangell_at_dml_tmproductions.com>

5. RE: rocker arm noise?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

6. Re: MSD 6A on a Delorean ?
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

7. Re: ATTN: Video Bob -- 280 Z vs DeLo
From: "dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick_at_dml_aol.com>

8. Re: ATTN: Video Bob -- 280 Z vs DeLo
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. Re: Video Bob
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

10. Re: Re: Car won't go over 1500 RPMs (and radio won't work)
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

11. RE: Re: DMC's Big Mistake
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

12. Disappointing DMC Representation
From: "Jason Sisto" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>

13. RE: grounds
From: M5E <nitrousgarageworks_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Disappointing DMC Representation
From: "delowalk" <delowalk_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: ATTN: Video Bob -- 280 Z vs DeLo
From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: Notorious Exhaust Manifold Gaskets
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

17. Re: ATTN: Video Bob -- 280 Z vs DeLo
From: Michael T Twigger <marktwigger_at_dml_juno.com>

18. Re: rocker arm noise?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

19. RE: Disappointing DMC Representation
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

20. Re: grounds
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

21. Re: Re: Car won't go over 1500 RPMs (and radio won't work)
From: Joe Angell <jangell_at_dml_tmproductions.com>

22. RE: Disappointing DMC Representation
From: mrvideosawyer_at_dml_netscape.net

23. Torque Settings?...............................
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

24. Re: Disappointing DMC Representation
From: Parrot Head Radio <jackstiefel_at_dml_gmail.com>

25. Re: Disappointing DMC Representation
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 15:36:22 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: RE: grounds

Adding additional grounds to the DeLorean electrical system is not
necessary, here's why. In standard automotive wiring the body, which is
steel, is ground. Therefore a solid ground is available anywhere you can
access the body or frame. Because the DeLorean's fiberglass body is
non-conductive the wiring system is set up similar to house wiring, i.e.: a
separate ground wire is included in all electrical runs. The design
engineers specified three main frame grounds.

An oversight in this design is that the epoxy coated frame considerably
reduced the integrity of these ground connections.

In conclusion the very necessary procedure in the DeLorean is not to add
additional ground wires, just insure that all of the existing main grounds
are electrically sound. The best way to accomplish this is to disconnect
each frame ground sandpaper or file away corrosion at both the connector and
frame reconnect each ground connection and repaint each connection to
prevent further corrosion.

DMC Joe

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:43:08 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: rocker arm noise?

It might be the notorious exhaust gaskets. Have they been replaced?
Leaking exhaust gaskets can have that valve click sound.

Harold McElraft - 3354

-- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_y...>

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 15:06:50 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: MSD 6A on a Delorean ?

Raphael, There are 2 styles of the MSD6A base unit. Part #6200 is for the
standard 4,6,8 cylinder and Part #6246 for odd firing V6 units.

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 16:08:53 -0500
From: Joe Angell <jangell_at_dml_tmproductions.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Car won't go over 1500 RPMs (and radio won't work)

>> Since you do not have an origional radio there is no way of knowing
>> how it is hooked up. You just have to follow the wires and see where
>> the power stops going to the radio. On the origional radio there were
>> in-line fuses in the console behind the radio which can blow or the
>> fuse holders sometimes just break leaving the fuse loose and not
>> making contact.
>
> I'll see if I can find them, on the off chance they're still there.  I
> did see a light green wire running to the radio wiring harness.
>
>> Just a guess but the radio may now be getting it's
>> power off the lighter circuit and if it went dead that may why the
>> radio is dead too.
>
> I'm curious as to why the lighter circuit is dead at all, as it's fuse
> appears to be fine.  Guess I'll have to pull out the fuse box and see
> if any of the wires came off it.

I finally dug up a multimeter and found that the light green wire is
indeed powering the radio.  The workshop manual lists the Radio Clock
(which I presume means "sleep mode" poer for the radio so it doesn't
lose your station presets, the time, etc), Cig Lighter and Clock on the
same line, so I'm guessing that's died.  I'm guessing this radio
requires both the "clock" power and normal accessory power before it
will do anything.

Anyway, fuel tank's all clean now (it wasn't really dirty to begin
with, but all the water should be out now).  I have the car on jack
stands so I can get to the fuel filter, which itself is being very
difficult.  I'm got the bottom line off no problem, but the top line is
being difficult and won't budge.  I've been following the fuel filter
thread; hopefully I'll be able to know it loose.

Thanks!

-- Joe

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 15:11:42 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Harry,
I would make sure your running the correct weight oil 20/40 or 20/50 and the
correct filter. I noticed the same ticking on my car 10/30 oil. Also make
sure you have ample oil pressure.

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 22:36:15 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Odd fire sequence makes no difference. Ignition module simply responds
to signals from the hall effect sensor in the distributor. I've run
Rich Acuti's DeLo on an old Ford Duraspark, responding to the stock
distributor no sweat.

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 22:52:33 -0000
From: "dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: ATTN: Video Bob -- 280 Z vs DeLo

> You guys just don't get it...
> ... the point was that the reason this car
> has not been,
> and never will be reproduced is because it is not a respected car
when it
> comes to the world
> of racing and performance.
> Unlike the Shelby Cobra, the GT40, the GTO, Firebird, Mustang or
any of the
> Italian cars

Umm I guess that why they brought back the VW Beetle to because it
was so well respected in the world of racing and performance.  I mean
who can forget those awesome 36hp engines!!!!  A car doesn't have to
be fast to be "respected."  Cars can be respected for many different
things besides SPEED.

Michael Q
Vin #02944

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:11:45 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Yes, the DeLorean was a little faster when compared to other cars, like a
$6000 Pacer maybe.
Actually, the AMC Pacer had a V8 option in those years and would have beaten
it too....
Sorry.
Let's see, what car could the DeLorean beat back then?
Hmmm...
It would have to be a large sedan that cost about 1/4 of the DeLorean,
or maybe a small car like the first Honda Civic's.
Maybe a moped?

The point is that the DeLorean was not a good value for the price.
It was almost as expensive as a real performance car, twice as ex-pensive
and just about anything on the street.
It didn't have more performance that any other sports car,
and it didn't have more luxury that any other sedan or coupe.
Basically, people paid an extra $15,000 for a car made of stainless steel
with
gullwing doors.
My point was that this car's popularity is from it's unique looks, it's
novelty and it's media legacy.

When people look back at the Camero, the GTO, the Firebird, the HEMI then
think of
powerfull cars that changed the era.

The original question was:
"Why don't they remake a DeLorean like they do the other muscle cars".

Boy, do I wish that the car had stayed in production another year or two.
Because I would definatly have one of the Legend twin turbo cars myself
and this conversation would be moot.

The car has all the beginings of a super car, the looks, the handling and
the comfort...
it was just missing the engine.
Bummer.
- VB

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:17:46 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Video Bob

Hey, I never denied that.
We all know that would happen.
I have parked my car in an Italian car show inbetween a new Porche Carrera
GT and a Lamborghini
Diablo and I was definately getting the most attention.

That happens to me everyday and everywhere I go.
The thing is though, that 8 out of 10 will also add to their comments and
say,
"Hey McFly, where's the flux capacitor?"

I don't know if geographicly there are more people who have seen the BTTF
movies
more than another, but I know here in Dallas / Fort Worth where 5 million
people live
that is comes on TBS about 3 times a week, and almost everyone has seen it.
Ray Charles has seen it.
It's rediculous.

The only guy I met recently that looked at the car and asked, "what are all
those blinky
lights on the dash? What are all the gauges?" .... he was from Aulstrailia.
I guess it's not as big down there.

I'm done with this.
I am going to go talk to a wall because it has the same effect.
- VB

>From: "Rustproof" <Rustproof_at_dml_comcast.net>
>To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
>Subject: Re: [DML] Video Bob
>Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 11:45:38 -0500
>

>A while back I stopped at a convenience store to pick up some coffee on the
>way home. I parked right next to a brand new Vette. While I was talking to
>the guy in the Vette, another guy walked out of the store, didn't look
>twice
>at the Vette, turned to my car and said: "NICE RIDE! I guess that pretty
>much sums it up...now doesn't it?
>Rustproof
>Vin 1559

[moderator snip]

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 19:25:03 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 11/28/04 12:14:14 PM Central Standard Time,
hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com writes:

> Premium at a low volume station is always
> a risk in my opinion - but to your problem.

Not to mention that 93 octane fuel is unnecessary and probably detrimental to
an engine designed to run on 87 octane!  This has been hashed out many times
on the DML in the past.  why pay extra for no reason?  the PRV motor in our
form is hardly high compression.

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:20:36 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: DMC's Big Mistake

Thank you.
THAT was the point I wanted to make, you did a better job than I did of
saying it.
- VB

>From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [DML] Re: DMC's Big Mistake
>Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:42:29 -0000
>

>The DeLo is no Ferrari or Porsche (or Lincoln, thank you very much).
>Comparing it to them is ludicrous. That was DMC's big mistake. Had the
>company adhered to JZD's original intention of pricing the car at $12K,
>which would have pitted it against Datsuns and Toyotas, history might
>have turned out very differently. There was an extremely limited
>market for the car at $25K, which DMC exhausted within a couple of
>months. Ask anyone in high school in the early 80's what was hot all
>over the parking lot -- Mustang III's, Mazda RX's, etc. *THAT* should
>have been DMC's competition. How many Preludes did Honda sell to young
>adults looking for an affordable sports car? *THAT* should have been
>the target audience.
>
>Bill Robertson

[moderator snip]

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 19:38:20 -0500
From: "Jason Sisto" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>
Subject: Disappointing DMC Representation

I was in Orlando at the BTTF ride in Universal and was extremely dissapointed at the condition of the display car.  I understand that is sits outside 24/7 but the front and rear bumpers were cracked, unpainted and patched, the stainless was spotted and not clean, the interior dash had cracks in it, the wheels were unpainted and peeling, etc.  It did not seem to be part of the display, but just neglected.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

I was also walking through the California's Fisherman's wharf portion of the park and saw a sign that said the boats that were used and on display were maintained by Pro Line and Donzi.  Then it came to me...

...why doesn't DMC Houston, Specialty Auto, DeLorean One, PJ Grady, NWDMC, or even the DeLorean Owner's Assoc.  or local club(s) donate their time and probably no more than $500 to "spruce and clean up" the Delorean?  This would probably only need to be done every other year or so.   After all, this is a representation of us.  Plus based on the boat display, whoever cleans it would probably be allowed to put their WEB address and name on the car.   What Great Exposure from a business standpoint!!!!

Just a thought.

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 17:12:16 -0800 (PST)
From: M5E <nitrousgarageworks_at_dml_yahoo.com>

*****  Moderator's Note  *****
There is a ton of information available about the construction
of the DeLorean on the DMCNews website (www.dmcnews.com) in
addition to the archives of the news group.  Either place
would be a good place to start to learn more about the
peculiarities of the DeLorean automobile.

Mike G.  Moderator of the Week
*****

I thought the DeLorean was stainless steel body, and
the ground improvements would help. I was just trying
to ofer some advice based on my previous experience is
all.

Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 02:48:35 -0000
From: "delowalk" <delowalk_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Disappointing DMC Representation

I think the answer is because none of the DeLorean mechanics are
close to Orlando.  I do know that Universal in Los Angeles rejected
an offer by D1 to fix up their cars.  I also believe that Don Steger
may have restored them a few years ago, but I'm not sure.  I've
heard that the DeLorean Owners Association offers to clean up some
cars from time to time, especially in museums.  Suprisingly, these
offers are often declined.  Everybody knows better, I guess.

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:28:07 -0800 (PST)
From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Bob-
I like you, but you are too hard on the car.

I can pull my own weight at the stop light, and I can
hang with some more powerful rigs.. like an SVT F150.
Sure, he eventually got me, but it wasn't right off
the line.

It's a respectable little car, not gutless. And mine
is sooo stock. Still. Sadly. Except for the dealer-cut
springs which I hope to replace for Christmas. :-)

-Kevin

Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 03:36:34 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Notorious Exhaust Manifold Gaskets

Coincidentally I've been pondering the notorious exhaust manifold
gaskets lately -- why in the world do they fail so much easier than
gaskets on other engines? My theory: thin wave washers on the mounting
studs. When I replaced the carbon nuts on my Renault block with
stainless steel, noticed most of the original wave washers were either
disintegrating or missing altogether. That of course allows the
manifolds to flex against their gaskets, and allows small amounts of
exhaust gas to escape -- both detrimental to longevity. I substituted
1/8" thick stainless washers (McMaster Carr Part #98370A028, which fit
recesses in the manifolds perfectly) to avoid such in the future. Did
the same on my current Peugeot block too.

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 22:33:24 -0500
From: Michael T Twigger <marktwigger_at_dml_juno.com>

The Delorean could of beat many cars of its era.

I personally have seen a Delorean beat a 95 Ford Contour V6, thats not
saying a lot but
the v6 makes about 200hp. The Delorean is no rocket ship at all but it
has enough
power at speed for easy passing.

Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 04:24:36 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Are you sure it is a ticking and not a buzzing? Does it seem to come
from the right hand valve cover. If it does and it is a buzzing then
it is the frquency valve and that is normal. If it is a ticking it can
be an exhaust leak or a loose valve adjustment. The first thing to do
is to check the oil level. Do it first thing in the morning before you
start the motor when parked on level ground. It is supposed to be
between the add and full marks. If it has been a while since you
changed the oil maybe it is time. Does it go away when the motor warms
up or does it get louder when you reve the motor up? All these things
can help to pinpoint the source of the noise. It is very hard to
diagnose a noise over the internet!

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 23:05:00 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

You are correct about the condition of the DeLorean at Universal. Several
years ago the powers at be (a subcontractor) at Universal contacted me on at
least three occasions concerning parts for the display DeLorean. On all my
contacts with them I had mentioned that I would be available to service the
vehicle. Apparently the information fell on deaf ears. This has been an
ongoing situation for many years. Your suggestion of donating services
doesn't work with big time corporate America.

DMC Joe

Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 04:34:13 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

I do not like the idea of adding additional grounds to fix a problem
that can be better solved by fixing the SOURCE. I guess once every 20
years or so you just HAVE to clean the grounds. All those extra wires
would make me think that the person "repairing" the car had no idea
what he was doing so he went around the problem instead of fixing it!
I have seen enough Deloreans with "additional" grounds, especailly in
the fuel pump circuit because the "mechanic" couldn't get the fuel
pump to run. He did not understand what the inertia switch did. Many
are also unfamiliar with the European method of interupting the ground
to control a circuit, Domestic manufacurers don't do it that way, they
interupt the power to a circuit. The wiring on a Delorean can be made
reliable but you must understand how it is supposed to work in the
first place! It also helps to know the factory motto at Lucas,"Get
Home Before Dark"!  Lucas Electronics did not invent the short
circuit, they only perfected it!

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 23:51:25 -0500
From: Joe Angell <jangell_at_dml_tmproductions.com>

> Anyway, fuel tank's all clean now (it wasn't really dirty to begin
> with, but all the water should be out now).  I have the car on jack
> stands so I can get to the fuel filter, which itself is being very
> difficult.  I'm got the bottom line off no problem, but the top line is
> being difficult and won't budge.  I've been following the fuel filter
> thread; hopefully I'll be able to know it loose.

Found a friend with an air ratchet and got the fuel filter off and
replaced.  I think everything looks fine now; injectors and plugs tests
appeared successful.

I'm trying to put the sparkplugs back in (which seems simple
enough...), but for some reason the two nearest the passenger
compartment start to become somewhat tight at around 7-12 ratchets
(about 1/4 revolution), then get very tight around 15-25 ratchets, not
wanting to go much beyond that.  The other four went in easily in 35-45
ratchets, with a firm stop once fully seated.  I tried swapping plugs
and sockets and got the same results, so it seems to be the sockets.
When I put the caps on the plugs at this depth, they don't go all the
way down -- no water seal.

Any suggestions?

Also, there's the metal pipe that goes from the inlet manifold to the
cold start valve (I believe I have those names right).  I removed the
cold start valve so I could get to the injectors/plugs more easily.
However, I notice now that the pipe moves very, very easily -- in fact,
I could effortlessly extract it from the engine.  I put it back where I
think it goes, but it does seem to lock in at any point well.  I'm a
bit perplexed; I think there's supposed to be an O-ring that holds it
in place, at least if I'm reading the workshop manual correctly.  The
pipe does not appear to be damaged; it looks like there's a clean-ish
end that is cut at an angle.

Anyway, this doesn't seem too good...

Thanks again

-- Joe

Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 00:04:08 -0500
From: mrvideosawyer_at_dml_netscape.net

I agree, I am a member of the Pacific Northwest DeLorean Club and I would do that (clean up the car I mean) I have a contact at Universal Studios that could maybe make this happen.  Any ideas?
Jim Sawyer
Vin 4149
"Camille"

>I was in Orlando at the BTTF ride in Universal and was extremely dissapointed at the condition of the display car.  I understand that is sits outside 24/7 but the front and rear bumpers were cracked, unpainted and patched, the stainless was spotted and not clean, the interior dash had cracks in it, the wheels were unpainted and peeling, etc.  It did not seem to be part of the display, but just neglected.  Please correct me if I am wrong.
>
>I was also walking through the California's Fisherman's wharf portion of the park and saw a sign that said the boats that were used and on display were maintained by Pro Line and Donzi.  Then it came to me...
>
>...why doesn't DMC Houston, Specialty Auto, DeLorean One, PJ Grady, NWDMC, or even the DeLorean Owner's Assoc.  or local club(s) donate their time and probably no more than $500 to "spruce and clean up" the Delorean?  This would probably only need to be done every other year or so.   After all, this is a representation of us.  Plus based on the boat display, whoever cleans it would probably be allowed to put their WEB address and name on the car.   What Great Exposure from a business standpoint!!!!
>
>Just a thought.

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 11:38:25 -0000
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Torque Settings?...............................

Hiya All

As a winter project and seeing as my radiator is weeping, its time
for a 'coolant refurb', ive started to clean out all the kit on top
of my 'valley of death' All looks fine in there except for the 24
years of dirt and grime , BTW the two square holes in the top side
of the engine block, are just dying to 'rot' through but apart from
one being filled with 3" of crap thankfully mine are still intact.

Going to replace my water pump and all hoses, o rings, vaccumm lines
etc whilst im in there.

If like me you have the origional pump and hoses etc they really
need to be looked at, they are well well past their best.(Maybe
everyone needs to be looking in there folks, yes i know its
quite a lenghty job :) )

Heres the question:-

Does any one know the following torque settings for these bolts?.

Water pump bolts to engine block?
Back of pump / pump back bolts?
Water Y pipe to engine block?
Intake Manifold to engine ?

And a spare bedroom full of grubby, petrol smelling parts :)

Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 07:07:26 -0500
From: Parrot Head Radio <jackstiefel_at_dml_gmail.com>

I have a few contacts over there, let me make a few calls today and
see what we can work out.  Perhaps we could do a bit of refurb as well
and tack a name on it.

Jack Stiefel - Tampa, Fl   DMC Vin 03461

Parrot Head Radio http://www.fmtimemachine.com

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -- Adam Savage

Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 08:53:02 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

Jason,

Rumor is that Universal is thinking of getting rid of the BTTF ride.
 Attendance is very poor and it is old technology that makes the ride
very rough with poor graphics.

With poor attendance, they are not financially motivated to update the
ride.  As for the car, there was a person who posted on the DML a few
years ago that he worked for Universal and was trying to get them to
kick in the money to fix the cars.  He said he every got some money for
a turing car.

The concept of having the D vendors toss in some money is interesting.
It would seem that in addition, if Universal would let them advertise
something about DeLorean sales and parts 0 this might happen.  However,
again, not much money for universal in this.  Now if one of the vendors
was selling BTTF reproduction Deloreans that are hot roded.  Who know.?

Maybe some rich kid would be able to convince his parents to buy him or
her a $250,000  BTTF car!  You never know.

BOB