From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2342
Date: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 9:21 PM

1. Re: Re: Disappointing DMC Representation
From: Parrot Head Radio <jackstiefel_at_dml_gmail.com>

2. RE: grounds
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

3. RE: Magnet Wire
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

4. Re: Magnet Wire
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

5. Re: grounds
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

6. Re: Disappointing DMC Representation
From: "Charlie" <charles_az1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. Universal Orlando BTTF DeLorean/Ride/Merchandise
From: Holler <thehauntfactory_at_dml_att.net>

8. RE: Universal Orlando BTTF DeLorean/Ride/Merchandise
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. AC Compressor
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

10. Re: Re: Disappointing DMC Representation
From: "Steve" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

11. Re: Re: Car won't go over 1500 RPMs (and radio won't work)
From: Joe Angell <jangell_at_dml_tmproductions.com>

12. Looking for Ian Foster
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

13. Re: Disappointing DMC Representation
From: "William" <wbowie2003_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. research questions
From: "nitrousgarageworks" <nitrousgarageworks_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: research questions
From: "Mike Polzin" <MPolzin_at_dml_sen.com>

16. Re: AC Compressor
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: research questions
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

18. Re: research questions
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

19. Re: Re: Disappointing DMC Representation
From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

20. Re: Disappointing DMC Representation
From: "bttfguy" <marty_at_dml_mediamergeinc.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 18:57:33 -0500
From: Parrot Head Radio <jackstiefel_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Disappointing DMC Representation

What I am thinking and have had 6 or so phone conversations today with
my people at Universal is a basic clean up and maybe some donated
parts from time to time if they so arose.  I am not looking for them
to release this car to a bunch of us guys to restore it to like new
condition, but to slow the deterioration -- less liability.  So far I
am getting pretty good results and most of them seem pretty open to
the prospect.

I am waiting for a call from the guy who "owns" it at the park to
return my car.  He is the main person in charge or maintenance on the
"D".

Basically what I did was tell them a group of owners who show their
cars would like every 6 months or every year to drop in, do a nice
inside and out cleanup, and take note of any parts we might be able to
"easily" replace.  Then if these parts come up somewhere, we can then
replace them.  Personally I would love to see an old mediocre front
and rear fascia donated.  The ones on the car are terrible as stated,
but even ok ones would be better.  I am sure there are a few owners
out there who have one in storage, I know I have a rear one with only
a tiny crack on one side, but otherwise looks new.  I would be willing
to throw that in as there is not much value damaged.  Maybe this will
pan out, I for one would have a ball going in before or after the park
is open and have a few hours playing around with the car, even though
it isn't a real screen used time machine.

Marc -- I will let you know what happens, I expect a call tomorrow
hopefully... lol

Jack Stiefel - Tampa, Fl   DMC Vin 03461

Parrot Head Radio http://www.fmtimemachine.com

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -- Adam Savage

Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 19:37:09 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: RE: grounds

Matt,

Although your ground substitutions may be a little overkill they are indeed
accurate. Good job!

DMC Joe

Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 17:17:08 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Magnet Wire

That's the thickness of the wire.

Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 00:46:11 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

Yes, that means 20 gauge.  As a side note, you may want to consider
DPNW's actuator replacements.  They are very light, easy to install,
and will help your door lock module last longer.  I have 'em on my car.

Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 18:38:10 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

Matt,

When we put the Rover engine and new trans into my D, we also ran a
grounding cable to the engine block and frame in the rear because we
moved the batteries to the front bonnet.
We also added other grounding wires for the other electrical components.

Interestingly,  we also needed to run a new #8 wire from the alternator.
 The stock #12 gauge could not handle the amp load from the larger
alternator.

BOB

Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 01:29:54 -0000
From: "Charlie" <charles_az1_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Disappointing DMC Representation

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_y...>
wrote:>>>Broke down on a short drive in Burbank? Does that mean they
actually drive the BTTF prop cars?

-Im not shure that was the only time I saw it out of the gates while
in Studio City.  But I know it sits and sits, and we all know these
cars have to be driven.

"I was under the impression that they just were rotting away in front
of the theme parks."

-There are 3 in the back of the USH backlot that are just sad..one is
the cut up one that has no rear frame and what looks like a rusted
forklift attachment to it. Another is just there for some reason
without any BTTF parts and another which is the PT3 car is sitting
with a flat and rotting away with a George Barris sticker on it and
other oddball stickers and bike reflectors drilled into it.

> It would benefit the parks to just use some sort of "mock up" fake
> Delorean time machine that would be weather resistant.

-I agree

> How many BTTF rides actually have a REAL Delorean on display in
> front of them? As we all know they don't hold up too well to being
> exposed to the elements 24/7

-far as I know 3 - USH,USF,USJapan.

Charlie

Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:07:06 -0500
From: Holler <thehauntfactory_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Universal Orlando BTTF DeLorean/Ride/Merchandise

I too viewed the Delorean 'up on posts' at Universal Orlando mid November.
Very sad.  Although it's a mock-up, strictly for park viewing, I SO
badly wanted to just squirt a little Armour-All on it from across the
barriers.  Just doing that ALONE would have improved the cosmetics
greatly.  The tires and all the non metal parts are so faded and ashen
colored.
Since time machine components have been stolen/replaced/stolen/etc.,
time and time again, I personally don't believe it is in need of
DeLorean parts so much, as just some TLC.  It no longer is mobile, so it
definitely doesn't need any function-parts from our beloved DMC dealers
(so that aspect of sponsorship is a sort of dead end street in my opinion.)
As for the Orlando BTTF gift shop, there is still some DeLorean stuff,
including a nice jacket pin of a DeLorean with doors up and an OUTATIME
plate on the front.  Interestingly, the car depicted is a STANDARD
DeLorean!!!  No time machine gadgets or gizmos, so I grabbed a couple.
(Upon closer inspection, I did detect a small ridge on the pin in the
rear area of the car that might represent the 'nuclear cooling vents',
but it's subtle.)  Otherwise, it's Time-Travel free.  I would think many
D owners would like to grab one of these. Just a head's up on that.

What wasn't mentioned about the 'new' merchandise, besides the racing
stuff. . .
Monster Garage merchandise!  Oh NOOOO!!!  Believe it or not. -Maybe
Jesse James is to blame for the horrid appearance of the displayed
DeLorean! ;)

And finally, the neat fiberglass cast Delorean inside the shop, mounted
above, crashing through the wall, has been poached also.
The front flux dispersal coils and side mounted junction boxes are
completely missing.  Also some lenses for the front lights are gone I
believe.  Very disappointing.

As for the 'Future' of the ride, I attended a private lights-on tour of
the new Mummy ride and spoke to a 'suit' who was hosting.  I can't
remember his name, but he definitely 'RANKED' and was something like
Vice President of Creative Development and Design somethinernother. . .
I asked him what he could tell me about the Back to the Future Ride, and
he seemed a little casually defensive.  He answered my question with his
own 'What about the Back to the Future Ride?' and I asked about it's
life expectancy.  He said it was 'still a strong property', but didn't
get specific.  (They are very guarded with their info, as most
attraction projects take years of development and they can't afford to
be 'scooped' by any competing theme park.)

So that's the latest I have to share.
Oliver Holler
vin#10694

Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:10:55 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I have an awesome DVD that I put together (for my own use of course)
that is a compilation of the actual ride footage as well as some press
footage about the making
of the ride and it's opening.
If I remember they said it was the most expensive ride ever built and cost
something like
40 million bucks to complete.
I don't think they would simply trash something that big of an asset.
They just have a bunch of punk kids running the place and don't care about
these outside props.
To them it is not history, it is just a prop like the fiberglass JAWS or
anything
else that is lying around.
It's a shame, but nothing we can do about it.
It has nothing to do with money, they have money...they simply don't care.

- Videobob

Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 02:59:45 -0000
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: AC Compressor

Group,
I had a call today from a customer that bought a new ( NOS )
compressor from a prefered vendor and forgot to get the accumulator.
It is a early vin car and uses the one where one of the large tubes
comes off the bottom. Because they don't have it they told him it
didn't have to be replaced. ( Wrong ).
Please, if you replace any AC compressor and or change it from R12
to R134a, replace the orific tube and the accumulator. The shop
doing the work called me and bought one and couldn't believe they
told him that.
There are still places right now in the US that is in the 80's.
Just an FYI about what you may hear.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:40:05 -0500
From: "Steve" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

Count me in..

Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 01:34:48 -0500
From: Joe Angell <jangell_at_dml_tmproductions.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Car won't go over 1500 RPMs (and radio won't work)

> Anyway, this doesn't seem too good...
>
> Thanks again

Update:

- Got the brass pipe back in the right place, I think.
- Got the spark plugs back in with a bit of finessing.

Then I started the car up, after messing with the fuel/air mixture a
bit so it would actually stay running.  Unfortunately, revving the
engine will often result in machine gun speed popping air sound -- not
a stalling/sputtering -- and the RPMs will drop.  I can occasionally
hear a rattle in the engine, like the sound the clothes dryer makes if
you left a quarter in your pocket, but it's intermittent.  If careful,
I can get the engine up to 4000 RPMs in park, but only about 1500 RPMs
in D3 or reverse.

I'm sort of at the end of my abilities here, but a call to the local
mechanics found the specialty car shop Auto Turismo in New Milford, CT.
  Turns out Steve there used to work on DeLoreans all the time, although
it's been a while.  I'm having AAA tow it there first thing in the
morning, then probably taking my dad's car back to VT for a week so I
can get back to my day job.

Thanks everyone for your assistance with this; I learned a lot about
the car this past weekend, but it looks like it's time to hand it over
to someone with more experience, better tools and more time than I
have.

-- Joe

Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 00:45:56 -0500
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>
Subject: Looking for Ian Foster

I apologize for using the list for this, but I'm trying to track down
Ian Foster so I can ship his fascias too him.  He isn't replying to my
e-mails, so I wanted to check here to see if is e-mail address has changed.

Thanks moderators for letting this through!

Sorry for the inconvenience,
Josh

Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:17:41 -0000
From: "William" <wbowie2003_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I'm not an owner yet..but would donate my time and any labor I could
be used for. I live in SC and could make a weekend trip to Fla. Plus
I've never been on the ride and want to see it before its gone.
Please contact me if I can be of any help.

William

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Parrot Head Radio <jackstiefel_at_dml_g...>

Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:03:45 -0000
From: "nitrousgarageworks" <nitrousgarageworks_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: research questions

 ( Moderators comment: This subject has come up so often that the archives are full of responses.  Checking the archives at www.dmcnews.com will solve many problems and answer a lot of questions.)

I am in the process of researching the DMC for a future purchase.
Many of you here have been very helpful in your discussions on this
site, and comments. Some I have saved for future reference. I have a
question I would like to ask and open up for comment: How hard is the
basic maintenance and service work, for the do-it-yourselfer, on the
DMC? I haven't had the opportunity to actually see up close, nor
inspect an engine bay on the DMC, so I was wondering how hard are
things like spark plug replacement, and oil changes on these
vehicles. Is the battery readily accessible, or is it hidden within a
pannel, like on Chrysler products? Is there someone out there, in the
SouthEastern Wisconsin area, who would be willing to bring his DMC by
for me to get a close look at, and talk with?

Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:04:42 -0600
From: "Mike Polzin" <MPolzin_at_dml_sen.com>
Subject: Re: research questions

I agree with the moderator here, however I wanted to throw it out there that
I do live in S.E. Wisconsin and if you were interested in getting to see one
close up you would be more than welcome to come see my cars -- they are out
of commission for the winter now, but I'd be glad to show you around the car
and give you an idea of what sort of maintenance goes into owning one. I
live near Oconomowoc, in fact if you are interested one of my cars is
currently for sale.

Mike Polzin

Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 08:33:11 -0800 (PST)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: AC Compressor

(Moderator:  A little off topic, but I couldn't
resist.)

Gotta love this talk about air conditioners.  It was
-15  ( yes, MINUS) here this morning!  Anybody want
to talk about heaters?

Dick Ryan

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:48:41 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

I am in Brookfield, Wisconsin. My car is sleeping for the winter though.

Mark V

Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:34:15 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

I'm in Northeastern Illinois - you are certainly welcome to come by
(arrange off-list) and look at mine most any weekend - I have one
that's stored away for the winter and one that's about 1/4 taken
apart for refurbishment (and will be for sale in the spring). It's on
a lift so you can get in, and under it. Close enough to SE Wisconsin?

You might also consider joining the Chicago-area club - we actually
have a brunch this weekend but based on the weather forecast it
probably won't have any DeLoreans in attendance, just people.

Do you have a real name?

Dave S (swingle(AT)dmcnews.com)

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "nitrousgarageworks"

Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 13:11:33 -0500
From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

I would come to help as well - even from North Carolina . . . .maybe a
twice yearly mini DeLorean convention and BTTF cleaning/detailing
party?

Michael

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:40:05 -0500, Steve <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net> wrote:

> Count me in..
>

> Steve

Michael C. Babb

Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 19:09:27 -0000
From: "bttfguy" <marty_at_dml_mediamergeinc.com>

Hello list,

This is my first post to the list, although I have lurked here for
four years, gleaned much good advice, and enjoyed the forum very
much. I am now in the process of restoring my second Delorean.
Anyway, with the emergence of this particular thread, I felt
inclined to chime in at long last.

You see, I worked for IMAX Corporation from 1989 - 2002. It was
during those early years that the BTTF ride was first developed. I
was project manager in charge of audio for the dome and ride
vehicles in all three attraction locations - Orlando, Hollywood, and
finally Osaka, Japan. It remains to this day as some of the most
interesting and exciting work I have ever done.

It was during these projects when I first became interested in the
Delorean. I will never forget the first time I saw one on the
backlot at Universal - I could feel my heart actually beating faster
as I peeked under the cover. I knew I had to have one. When I
finally got my first one in 2000, I was still all excited about the
ride and the film, having just returned from a month in Osaka
putting the final touches on the project there. But after owning the
car for a little while, I became much more interested in the car for
its unique history and design than its association with the films.

So, this news of the demise of BTTF-The Ride comes with some
saddness on my part, like losing a part of your legacy so to speak.
But time does move on, and the Orlando system is now fifteen years
old. The motion bases, projection, and sound systems are hugely
complicated things and costly to maintain. I can understand why
Universal might want to use the real estate for something more
contemporary.

All the best,

Marty Galbreath
Formerly 2328