From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2344
Date: Thursday, December 02, 2004 8:26 AM

1. Upgrading the Air Filter?
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Disappointing DMC Representation
From: "William" <wbowie2003_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Upgrading the Air Filter?
From: "Mike Polzin" <MPolzin_at_dml_sen.com>

4. Re: Re: Disappointing DMC Representation
From: "stan davis" <sldav_at_dml_msn.com>

5. Re: 1984 Delorean????
From: "Steve" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

6. 17xxx - found another one!
From: "Mike Walsh" <yahoo_at_dml_oneskydojo.com>

7. Re: 1984 Delorean????
From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

8. Re: 1984 Delorean????
From: "Steve" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

9. CarFax History (was: Re: 1984 Delorean????)
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

10. RE: Re: DeLo's In Year 'Round Use
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. RE: Delorean in Minnasota???
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>

12. dmc
From: "heylacy" <heylacy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. New poll for dmcnews
From: dmcnews

14. Re: Re: DeLo's In Year 'Round Use
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

15. Re: Disappointing DMC Representation
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

16. Re: Upgrading the Air Filter?
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

17. Re: Disappointing DMC Representation
From: "Randy Atamaniuk" <martydmc_at_dml_telus.net>

18. IndiGlo Dash Kit
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

19. RE: Upgrading the Air Filter?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

20. RE: Upgrading the Air Filter?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

21. Re: DeLo's In Year 'Round Use
From: "endotex23" <endotex23_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Re: Upgrading the Air Filter?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

23. Re: DeLo's In Year 'Round Use
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

24. Re: Re: DeLo's In Year 'Round Use
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

25. Wisconsin DMC
From: "Jay Gosciniak" <gotojayjay_at_dml_aol.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 21:31:04 -0000
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Upgrading the Air Filter?

Hi everyone,
I was browsing through SpecialTAuto.com's website after having
ordered some standard and some not-so-standard tune up parts, and
just wanted to ask your opinions. Does anyone think upgrading the air
filter/cover with one of those expensive K&N style filters with the
Lexan covers is worth it? And how do they work anyway? That cover
looks all nice and stainless etc. but it's OPEN! I mean, isn't the
stock air filter cover clamp on for a reason? I may not be a genius
in the car mechanical area, but still...Seriously, what are your
thoughts?
-John

Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 21:48:16 -0000
From: "William" <wbowie2003_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Disappointing DMC Representation

If its closing for maintenance then wouldn't that be the best time
to REALLY get the BTTF display car looking its best for the Re-
opening??!!

GREAT SCOTT!! The timming in the space time continum will be perfect
for such an undertaking!

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_a...> wrote:

> Marty,
>
> Welcome to the list. I usually limit my comments to technical and
servicing
> issues but I would like to make a comment on the BTTF ride
DeLorean tread.

Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 15:58:49 -0600
From: "Mike Polzin" <MPolzin_at_dml_sen.com>
Subject: Re: Upgrading the Air Filter?

John,
The system that John is selling is not a new thing, I have been running one
on my car for well over a year. It was initially designed by Casey Putsch
where I purchased mine from, and I believe John is just remaking them now
that Casey is out of the DeLorean world. John can jump in here and clarify
this, I haven't had the opportunity to talk to John about that part yet.
Needless to say, the weight of the unit coupled with the rubber seal around
the base definitely keep the unit in place, as one of the people who has
been running one of these for a long time I can honestly say I don't think
it will ever give you a problem.

It is a nice upgrade, that will let you engine breathe a bit easier. I can't
really say if it increased performance any, I supposed it would have to, but
nothing all that noticable. But it does look nice!

Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 17:08:47 -0500
From: "stan davis" <sldav_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Disappointing DMC Representation

HI,

THE CAR IS AN AUTO,GRAY..THE CAr has an excellent engine..turns over easy..but fuel was left in the tank 12 years ago...it has always been garaged.
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 17:51:10 -0500
From: "Steve" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>
Subject: Re: 1984 Delorean????

Carfax is reporting it as an invalid vin..

Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 22:19:20 -0000
From: "Mike Walsh" <yahoo_at_dml_oneskydojo.com>
Subject: 17xxx - found another one!

I was driving home today and spotted some gull wings through the
window of a local body shop (screeech and a U-turn). I stopped by
and found #17134 being worked on. Because I don't know the owner I
won't go into details other to say it has the FCC plate above the
vin plate on the door post, Sept 82 build date, and has a metric
instrument cluster. The owner had replaced the stock exhaust and put
on a set of large tips. Other than the exhaust and tires the rest of
the car appeared stock with no other modifications.

I left the guy my info to pass on to the owner and a few sources for
parts.

Mike Walsh
Niagara Falls, Ontario

Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 17:19:08 -0600
From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

 > Carfax is reporting it as an invalid vin..

That might not mean much. I bought my DeLorean new in 1982 and the state for
some reason titled it a a Special rather than a DeLorean. Several years
later when I applied for collector plates they said that was wrong and I
should change it. I never did and tried Carfax to see what it said about my
car. Carfax couldn't find it. I think it was related more to not needing to
renew the registration annualy because of the collector plates. I belive
Carfax traces the car by title changes and registration renwals. If the car
sat for years there wouldn't be current records for Carfax to start on.

Bruce Benson

Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 19:24:33 -0500
From: "Steve" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

I thought about that but I would think that carfax would report that the vin
is not on file. I am getting the error that the vin is invalid. I tried
using the vin calc app and it shows the vin ok. Production chronology shows
it to be an 81 company car.

Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 00:39:36 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: CarFax History (was: Re: 1984 Delorean????)

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_p...> wrote:
<SNIP>
> I never did and tried Carfax to see what it said about my
> car. Carfax couldn't find it. I think it was related more to not
needing to
> renew the registration annualy because of the collector plates. I belive
> Carfax traces the car by title changes and registration renwals. If
the car
> sat for years there wouldn't be current records for Carfax to start on.
<SNIP>

CarFax will show annual renewals, smog inspections, applications for
duplicate titles, AND any changes to the title. On my car for example,
CarFax shows the times in the past when I failed my smog inspection,
when I first put in for a new Nevada title, when I requested a
duplicate title, due to changes, and my yearly registrations.

BUT, you've also got to remember that CarFax is only as good as the
information provided to them by the states. Using my car as an example
again, CarFax only goes back to 1999, when 6585 was returned to the
road. According to CarFax, nothing exists before that. However, I
called the California DMV last Friday, and got a whole earful. Their
database itself will only hold 10 years worth of information. And as
it turns out, I am so far the 4th owner. So far, they were able to
trace back that my car was at one point placed into someone's family
trust, and then was owned by a business before that. And was on the
road 10 years ago, but was placed into non-operational status shortly
there after. Anything before that, and they can provide microfishce
copies, from their state archives.

Even better was back in 1999. I used to work as a bank courier/driver.
After I left, one of the vehicles was totaled by another driver (it
crashed, and rolled down an embankment). I ran the old VIN # that I
had, and they never even listed the car as being wrecked. The
registrations renewals just stopped for it.

So the point here is, even though you have CarFax as a tool to help
you in reviewing a car, you still cannot rely on it 100% to give you
the real story behind a vehicle.

Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 19:09:48 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: DeLo's In Year 'Round Use

Living in Texas, it is easy to use the car year round.
However, warming it up takes for ever.
I am considering putting an on/off switch on my fans to help warm it up
quicker.
It was really cold this morning, almost freezing...
Yesterday I changed my oil and put in Castroil GTX 20/50, and a bottle of
Lucus.
This morning when I tried to start the car, the engine that normally pops on
in one turn
spun round and round and wouldn't start.
I let it sit for a second and then let it spin some more and it slowly
putterd on.
It was fine after that, but that is the first time I have seen it do that.

I drive my car all year round but have learned to avoid wet days.
Since I have about 7 vehicles to choose from I might as well spare it.

After my experience on wet roads with this car, I would avoid icy situations
at all costs.
So I suppose that if I lived in a snowy area I would just garage the car for
a few months.
Drive some other kind of dissposable car in the winter, like a Vette. ;P

Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 18:56:52 -0600
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>
Subject: RE: Delorean in Minnasota???

The MinnEsota group (MNDMC) is an infrequent group and everyone I've met
through the group has been great and very helpful.  We meet at least once a
year as a larger group and smaller groups meet occasionally for special
events.  I put together the larger annual event and we are always open to
someone putting together other events.

You may want to rethink the "dead, horrible and non-existent comments" if
you're looking for an outpouring of support for your group.

Nick

The book "How to Win Friends and Influence People" came to mind when Ashton
wrote:
Looking for owners in the Twin cities area...if there are any out
there....Say hello...MNDMC group is horrible...Dead and non-
existent...Anyone interested in making a TwincitiesDMC club let me
know...
AshtonOrlan_at_dml_yahoo.com

Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 01:26:29 -0000
From: "heylacy" <heylacy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: dmc

hi, is there a site or sites  that lists the parts that are
interchangable with
the dmc parts?  like door lift cyl. and such. thanks, lacy

Date: 2 Dec 2004 03:04:20 -0000
From: dmcnews
Subject: New poll for dmcnews

Enter your vote today!  A new poll has been created for the
dmcnews group:

A major DeLorean vendor has possibly
been posing as a mere DeLorean owner on
this list and the DML for months, using
the false alias to promote their
business and products. Should a thread
on this topic be allowed on the DMCnews
newsgroup to get to to bottom of this
matter? Currently, the topic has been
rejected by the moderators. Please
choose yes if you feel it is important
DeLorean owners are informed of this
deception and no if you feel the
DeLorean community is better off not
having these details in the public
domain. This will be a public poll,
your name will appear beside your vote.

If this is a big deal to you, you
should not be shy about it.

Thanks.

  o Yes
  o No

web site listed above.

Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 19:51:47 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

Well if it is getting cold where it is almost freezing you should not
be using 20/50. Putting a switch on your fans will do nothing for
helping your car warm up faster, your car has to be hot first before
the fans turn on.

Mark V

Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 01:43:21 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Parrot Head Radio <jackstiefel_at_dml_g...> wrote:
<SNIP>
> I am waiting for a call from the guy who "owns" it at the park to
> return my car.  He is the main person in charge or maintenance on the
> "D".
>
> Basically what I did was tell them a group of owners who show their
> cars would like every 6 months or every year to drop in, do a nice
> inside and out cleanup, and take note of any parts we might be able to
> "easily" replace.
<SNIP>

If this works out for USF, any chance we might get something like this going for USH? I
don't mind driving down to Studio City to get involved with something like this.

Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 19:54:29 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

Read here and find out for yourself.
http://putschdesign.tripod.com/PPD/id2.html

Mark V

Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 19:16:05 -0700
From: "Randy Atamaniuk" <martydmc_at_dml_telus.net>

Okay, before everyone starts calling up Universal Studios to go in and help
restore/clean
the BTTF DeLoreans, don't waste your time.  I haven't been to the Florida
theme park in
over 10 years, but remember then, that car wasn't properly cared for.  I've
seen current
pictures, and agree, it needs some restoration.  And as far as the Hollywood
park is
concerned, a number of those DeLoreans are in pretty poor shape as well.

But here's the deal; Universal Studios will not allow non-studio personal to
come onto the
lot and start cleaning and repairing their vehicles.  No matter how good
your intentions are;
even if you're willing to donate both your time and parts for free.  The
studio has its own
transportation department, and do their own repair work.  Universal knows
damn well that
DeLorean Motor Company, DeLorean One, DeLorean Motor Center and PJ Grady
exist; they
just never use them.  Perhaps they have ordered parts from one of these
service facilities,
but to my knowledge, have never taken the cars to them for restoration.

Having dealt with the studio (and others as well), both in the realm of BTTF
and work-related
issues, I can tell you now, that thinking that the good intentioned DeLorean
owners/enthusiasts
want clean-up these cars, is probably a pipe dream.  Sorry to sound so
negative on the subject,
but trust me, there's a good chance it won't happen.

As far as Back to the Future... The Ride is concerned, the rumors of its
demise has been
floating around the internet for the past couple of years.  According to all
our sources at
BTTF.com, the ride isn't planning on going anywhere, for the time being
anyway.  In-fact,
it's more likely to go the way of the dinosaurs at the Hollywood park,
before the Orlando
site.  The E.T. Adventure in Hollywood was taken apart to make way for the
new Mummy
roller coaster last year.  And since the Hollywood studio has limited space,
it would only
make sense for it to be replaced there.

Randy Atamaniuk | Randy_at_dml_BTTF.com
Vin #16353

Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 03:36:48 -0000
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: IndiGlo Dash Kit

Is anyone here interested in one of those IndiGlo dash kits?
I am not sure you can even get them anymore, since the website
is gone now.

I bought this at Pigeon Forge with the optional 140MPH markings,
and the optional color changer and dimmer module.
(These options were extra)
IT is new and unused and includes the center console piece.

The reason I decided not to use it is because I am building
a screen accurate BTTF Time Machine car, and this would not
fit the replica, I have decided to leave the dash looking stock.

I just want my money back out of it.
If anyone wants it the price is $200.00 which includes shipping.
I take Paypal from confirmed US members,
and will ship outside the US for an extra $25.00 however I would
need a money order or western union outside the USA.

Send me a PM if you are interested.
Otherwise it goes on eBay.

If you are intersted in how to turn your DeLorean into a
BTTF replica, I am documenting the prop building progress on
my website, http://www.bttfstuff.com

VIN#5278

Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 22:17:40 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Mike, John & Group,
Since Casey has gone back to school I made an agreement to compensate him
for the design. I have made 5 new air boxes and have sold 3 so far. Were now
working on 12 more to be ready for the summer. It's a long process. If you
take the air box with the volume of air that is available to be used and
coupled with the new free flow filters and the cold air intake, you will
feel a difference.
John Hervey
Home of the Air Box
 http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/delorean-air-breather-ss.
jpg

Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 22:21:17 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

John, It's not open, It has a clear Lexan cover. You just can't see it in
the picture.

Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 04:23:45 -0000
From: "endotex23" <endotex23_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: DeLo's In Year 'Round Use

Honestly VB I don't understand. How can you be so enlightened and
correct about some things and such an idiot otherwise?

Greg B.

Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 04:33:48 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

To improve the breathing on the PRV you cannot just do "one side".
What goes in must also come out. You will not realize much improvement
unless you also do something to the exhaust system too. While you are
at it porting and polishing would help, camshafts, larger valves, and
so on, and so on. The PRV was a very engineered system. This means you
will not gain very much unless you do many things all at once. The
whole system was optimized with all the stock parts so there is no
"magic bullet". Some think a hotter coil will do it. In reality the
old coil was just tired so ANY new coil would be an improvement. The
"best bang for the buck" is a complete tune-up with new Bosch parts.
Then if you want to go further at least you are starting out with a
properly running baseline of performance. Performance parts can be
EXPENSIVE and will not give you a whole lot of improvement (unless the
parts you are replacing were shot to begin with).

Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 04:25:08 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

If your car takes a long time to warm up maybe you need a new
thermostat and/or a new otterstadt switch if the fans come on too early.

Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 22:45:25 -0600
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Bob,

Why would turning on your fans make a difference?  You thermostat will still
be closed.  Besides, turning on the fans only makes the car cooler (???)

I don't have any of the problems you listed.  You might want to take a look
at the thermostat (warm-up issue), and cold start valve (slow-start issue).
Also, what kind of tires are you running?  I've got the Pilots on my car and
they're fantastic in the rain.  I agree with you about sparing the car,
though.  I've slowly learned to calm the DeLorean "fever" on those
bad-weather days too.  :-)

Jake Kamphoefner
Driving 1063 year-round in STL
(Uhh... Ok.  -Until any snow or salt hits the road)

Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 23:18:59 -0600
From: "Jay Gosciniak" <gotojayjay_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Wisconsin DMC

Back in the 80s, my parents lived in Wisconsin and someone who lived in
their apartment building owned a Delorean, and the owner gave my dad (John
Gosciniak) a ride in it. My parents lived in Hartland, Wisconsin which I
think is near Brookfield. I thought it would be cool to locate this old
friend of my parents.

- Jay Gosciniak