From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2345
Date: Thursday, December 02, 2004 1:34 PM

1. Re: Re: DeLo's In Year 'Round Use
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. Re: Re: DeLo's In Year 'Round Use
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. RE: Re: DeLo's In Year 'Round Use
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

4. RE: Upgrading the Air Filter?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

5. Re: Re: Disappointing DMC Representation
From: Parrot Head Radio <jackstiefel_at_dml_gmail.com>

6. Re: Upgrading the Air Filter?
From: "jamesrguk" <James_rg_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. RE: Upgrading the Air Filter?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

8. just stuff
From: "nitrousgarageworks" <nitrousgarageworks_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. RE: Upgrading the Air Filter?
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

10. Re: just stuff
From: Hank <heskin_at_dml_gmail.com>

11. Re: Upgrading the Air Filter?
From: "Mike Polzin" <MPolzin_at_dml_sen.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 23:35:44 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: DeLo's In Year 'Round Use

That is a good point Mark, I need to check to see if my fans are coming on
all the time or maybe to early.

.....and yet, the "which oil should I use?" question persists.
According to this months DMCH Catalog AKA "Delorean's Magazine" (at $8.95
per issue)
suggests that 20/50 be used in tempatures over 14 degrees.
I am Texas ya'll, it don't get that cold here in Dallas that often.

I'll just have to deal with it.
- VB

Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 23:39:04 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I NOW have the Pilot XGT's on my car,
I bought them with the insurance money I got from WRECKING my car in the
rain
when I was sporting the other cheapo crap that the previous owner put on
there.
They had plenty of tread but no grip.

The thing is, no matter what tires you have the front end does not have the
weight to
stop you, the front tires will lock up and you will go sliding.
I wonder if there is an aftermarket ABS system that can be adapted?

Until then, no rain driving in the Delo.
I would rather ride my Harley in the rain after that ordeal.
- VB

Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 01:04:24 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

If you want less fans then un plug one of the fuses going to the fans where
the fan fail used to be. You can run on one fan just fine in cooler weather.

Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 00:57:07 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Upgrading the Air Filter?

Dave,
I beg to differ. If you ever try it you'll like it. The exhaust system will
handle more out put as it stands. I'm not saying that it can't be improved
but with the modifications you seem to have never tried. You will see a
considerable difference in response to your feed foot and some HP in the
small performance changes I sell. Better low resistance silicone HP wires,
+4 Spark plugs, Hotter coil Pertronix or MSD. If the car can't breath it
can't exhaust, that why I build the new breather and filter with the colder
air input tube. The stock system is ok, and if your happy with what you have
then that's fine but you will get more with the above upgrades.

Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 07:55:29 -0500
From: Parrot Head Radio <jackstiefel_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Disappointing DMC Representation

Even though this might be a pipe dream, it is still possible and would
be great for both Orlando and Hollywood.  I have been told many things
were not possible, many I still did.  My best was crashing the 1992
Presidential Inaugural ball in DC with no ticket (not breaking in, but
talking my way past security).  I got in just in time to watch the
Gores dance and then the Clintons.

So no bubble has been popped.  The thing we have going for us is the
"free" part.  Of course US won't use outside vendors unless absolutely
needed, why would they, these are static props now for the most part.
But the PR that could be generated in the "D" community is also a
plus.
--
Jack Stiefel - Tampa, Fl   DMC Vin 03461

Parrot Head Radio http://www.fmtimemachine.com

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -- Adam Savage

Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 13:25:54 -0000
From: "jamesrguk" <James_rg_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I have one of these filters on my car, performance wise it doesn't
do anything really, the air is still going through a filter element,
and there is such a quantity of air being used by the engine, I
don't think the idea of the air being cooler is strickly true either.

Having read loads of magazines, the average gain through upgrading
air filters alone is about 1hp

I simply bought one because it looks nice and I get a lot of
positive comments when I am at car shows. It's a nice addition to
the engine bay.

I have no cat on my car, that made the biggest difference, the
exhaust system is a joke ion the DeLorean, focus your attention
there if you want relativly cheap HP gains.

Just my 2pence

James RG VIN5462
England UK

Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 01:01:54 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Mark, Thanks for putting the link up. I also made some up grades to the box.
I added a tab on the far left to hold it in place and also added a longer
neck to go further down on the air flow meter along with a new thicker o
ring for the air flow. I also added hold down screws and filter box screws.

Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 14:08:44 -0000
From: "nitrousgarageworks" <nitrousgarageworks_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: just stuff

  Greetings DMC Dudes. Just throwing in my 2 cents, to keep the
conversations, and arguements going here (heh-heh):
  I'm kinda skeptical about the new K & N airfilter assembly,
the "top hat" as I call it. I'm concerned that water may splash into
the engine compartment, and onto the top of the filter, and since the
top of the filter is a filter in itself, get sucked into the engine.
I'd opt for the standard K & N airfilter, and keep some kind of
protection over the top of it. Plus I found you don't have to oil the
filter, I use mine dry, and just rinse it in gas, and blow it out
regularly. I also lube the rubber seals on it, top and bottom with a
thin coating of synthetic grease to ensure a solid seal. Synthetic
though, not petoleum based, as it will eat at the seals.
  Another idea I found was using Amsoil products; They're rather
pricey, but of supreme quality, aircraft grade, that allows for
extended drain intervals, superior protection, and so on. I opted for
the 5W30 grade, as I found an article in a hotrod magazine, about
that grade yielding the best increase in horse power. Not alot, but
HP is HP baby!
  I did a little research on the Brickin car too; What a piece of
crap! A kit car, with a look that tries to copy the DMC cheaply. Plus
it's AMC powered, and that says enough bad right there. Not even a
contender for further investigation on my part to be sure.
  I also found another nifty product that works: RedLine Racing
Products makes a product called Water-Wetter, which reduces the drag
coefficient on radiator coolant, and allows it to flow faster, pick
up and disperse heat faster. It's about 10 a bottle, and the
immediate effect I can witness to is: It drops the car's radiator
temp. by about 20 degrees. And we all know that heat is a car's worst
enemy, and cause of most wear.
  Well time for me to shut up, and sit back. That's all I have to
add, hope you fins some of it helpful.

Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 15:10:06 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

I am always skeptical of these claims because they are never done
with any kind of rigor.  I'm willing to bet that most every DeLorean
can benefit from a tuneup - with OEM parts or aftermarket.  Seat
of the pants evaluations are useless.  I would be willing to believe
claims if there are documented dyno runs before and after every
change, measured against new parts to the original design spec as a
baseline.  Anything else is marketing.

Ever notice how those stupid tornado intake infomercials ALWAYS
do a tuneup and filter change on the car with the installation of the part?

-------------- Original message from "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>: --------------

Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 09:43:20 -0500
From: Hank <heskin_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: just stuff

>  I did a little research on the Brickin car too; What a piece of
> crap! A kit car, with a look that tries to copy the DMC cheaply.

Except for the fact that the Bricklin pre-dated the Delorean by several years!

Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 08:53:08 -0600
From: "Mike Polzin" <MPolzin_at_dml_sen.com>

John & Dave,
When I switched over to this air box I also converted over to a custom made
stainless steel free flow muffler on my car, so I did in effect go at both
sides of the system. However I never actually drove my car before all of
this because the engine came in a box. I have had a couple people who have
driven other automatics say that mine is a bit quicker than they have seen
but I have nothing to compare it to.