From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2348
Date: Friday, December 03, 2004 3:38 PM

1. Vin Plate
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

2. RE: Upgrading the Air Filter?
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: just stuff
From: M5E <nitrousgarageworks_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: Re: Upgrading the Air Filter
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

5. RE: Re: Upgrading the Air Filter?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

6. RE: Re: DeLo's In Year 'Round Use
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. RE: Re: Volvo PRV Oil Weight Spec (10W30)
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

8. Re: Upgrading the Air Filter?
From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. RE: Re: DeLo's In Year 'Round Use
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

10. Re: fascias for sale...
From: mroboto_at_dml_aol.com

11. Re: just stuff
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>

12. Re Delorean Web Site Down?...........
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

13. Re: Re: DeLo's In Year 'Round Use
From: "Owen _at_dml_ Aerodrome" <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>

14. How THICK are you?
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. RE: Re: Upgrading the Air Filter?
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. oil discussion
From: M5E <nitrousgarageworks_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: Volvo PRV Oil Weight Spec (10W30)
From: "ctdmc83" <nmastrocinque_at_dml_sikorsky.com>

18. RE: Re: Upgrading the Air Filter
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

19. Re: Re: fascias for sale...
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

20. Re: Re: DeLo's In Year 'Round Use
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

21. Re: oil discussion
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

22. Re: Re: Upgrading the Air Filter
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

23. Re: DeLo's In Year 'Round Use
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

24. Re: How THICK are you?
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. RE: Re: DeLo's In Year 'Round Use
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 20:17:40 -0800
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>
Subject: Vin Plate

I have been off the list for about a week so I know this is kinda of an
old topic. When I got Vin #2105 out of the garage yesterday I noticed
that my vin tag on the dash is not riveted on but is glued on. That
surprised me since it's an early 81 with hood lines and gas flap.

Phil Priestley
Alessandros Restaurant
http://alessandros120.com/
(503)370-9951

Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 20:23:20 -0800 (PST)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Upgrading the Air Filter?

I'm surprised that no one with twin turbos has jumped
into this discussion.  FWIW, the twin turbos require
the movement of the alternator from down near the
bottom on the engine to up onto the passenger side
valve cover near the rear of the car (front of the
engine).  In turn, this means that the connection from
the bottom of the air box to the pontoon is not longer
used because the alternator is now in the way.

So what?  Well, now you are pulling hot air into the
airbox right off the exhaust manifold.  Hot air
expands and, thus, it is thinner and you have less
oxygen per cubic foot.  Here, a "cold air intake"
makes real sense.

My air box, a modification of Ron Wester's design,
pulls it's air through a 3" tube that ends inside the
pontoon where it is fitted into a large K&N "off road"
conical filter.

No, I've not done any dyno tests.  I'm not selling
anything so if it pleases me, why pay for a dyno test.
 However, common sense tells me that, in the case of
the twin turbo set-ups, this has to be a better input
device than I previously had.

Dick Ryan

http://my.yahoo.com

Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 20:24:49 -0800 (PST)
From: M5E <nitrousgarageworks_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: just stuff

No I don't use 5W30 in a Delorean. 2 points: I don't
own a DMC yet. And if the car takes 20W50, that's what
I'd put in it, but I'd make sure it was Amsoil
synthetic, none the less. I use 5W30 in my Ford, and
Lincoln V-8's, and in my Porsche 4 cyl.

http://my.yahoo.com

Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 04:59:19 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Re: Upgrading the Air Filter

Marty - this reinforces my point exactly.  It's kinda funny that
a bunch of experienced engineers with a large amount of
resources available to them can deliver a better design than
a novice.

-------------- Original message from wingd2_at_dml_aol.com: --------------

Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 23:50:42 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Rich, Your absolutely correct, The is no HP or mechanic in a bottle and HP
cost money and or time. Ounces make lb's and these improvements are just a
few of the ounces. Again, I'm not claiming any major break thru, just a
little more when you wish you had it. Just an FYI on the K&N filter. If some
of you remember back in the fifties when you used to change the oil in the
air filter. Those were the best free flow air filters and K & N just made it
more practical by having oil on a gauze sandwiched between the screen.
President & Chief Bottle washer.
9 to 9 24/7.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_y...>

Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 00:03:20 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: DeLo's In Year 'Round Use

...cause that's what the book says.
That's what DMCH says, and what other vendors have said....
to use 20/50 in temps over 14 degrees F.

Next time I change it I will try some thinnner stuff.
I hate to dump $35 worth of new oil.
I also added a bottle of Lucus and some other motor honey I bought
at a car show... tou know the stuff where they show an engine running with
no oil,
no water and no oil pan?
This guy had an engine running like this and selling this oil additive and I
bit the hook.
Maybe it works, maybe not.

Hey, I also have a lot of Ron Popeil's stuff to.
Just set it, and forget it.
- VB

Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 00:05:09 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Volvo PRV Oil Weight Spec (10W30)

So are you saying that we should now be using 10W30 in our DeLorean's now?
It would sure increase our options as brand and type.
Synthetics, etc...
- VB

Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 05:41:21 -0800 (PST)
From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

> How often to you-all drive around with your foot
> on the floor?

Tooooo much. But I can't help myself! That's why my
mileage is so bad.

Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 00:16:20 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Put in a copy of BTTF 1, just after Marty goes back in time and leaves
Peabody's farm
he is driving down an old country road and then slamms the brakes.
The cars slides on the front wheels and then jerks to the left hard.

There is your DeLorean braking system.
Of course, those were a set of Goodyear NCT's but the also on bone dry
asphalt.

On a wet road your car will slide like it's on glass if you lock the front
wheels.

Maybe John Hervey is to blame?
I put on a set of his rebuilt brake calipers and they do work a lot better
than the originals did.
They will lock your wheels right up.

Yes it's true, I do drive like a mad man, but that was not the case when I
was only
going 30 MPH, and slid about 50 feet into the back of a BMW with zero
control of the
car in heavy rain.
Bottom line, leave the car at home in the rain and take the OTHER car.

Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 05:43:15 EST
From: mroboto_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: fascias for sale...

The strange thing about that front Fascia, is that it's embossed with a
"Motel 6" logo! It must be a special edition.
(Oh boy, I'm gonna get a rash of crap for this one!)
Daniel Deutsch (Orlando)

Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 06:45:47 -0800
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>

Hi Dick,
    As one "old Geezer" to another....you let the cat out of the bag.  I was
trying to keep Les from being chastised by everyone on the list and like I
always say, to each his own poison!  Ho ho.  I can make a statement like
many make to me re my D.  I have read about the Bricklin but never have seen
one in person. I haven't read the rest of the 41 DML on here this morning so
there may be more nasty comments re his choice!  Ha.   Fun fun.  See you
down the List.
    Murray

Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 14:24:00 -0000
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Re Delorean Web Site Down?...........

Hi

This site has been down for a few days...sorry i dont know who it
belongs to only it is very useful!  Hope its not gone for good :(
linuxmain??

Regards

http://retroserver.no-ip.com/deloreanmain.html

Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 08:31:32 -0800
From: "Owen _at_dml_ Aerodrome" <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>

> Yes it's true, I do drive like a mad man, but that was not the case when I
> was only
> going 30 MPH, and slid about 50 feet into the back of a BMW with zero
> control of the
> car in heavy rain.
> Bottom line, leave the car at home in the rain and take the OTHER car.

No offence meant, but I think I'm gonna go with "learn to drive properly in the rain, since it'll come in handy in other situations, too."

At 30mi/hr, a 3-second following distance (the minimum sane distance in wet weather) equates to 132 feet, giving plenty of room to stop, even if you do slide.  A fifty-foot following distance might have qualified for "mad mad" status after all.  :-)

Regards,
Owen

VIN 10470 "1 21 GW"

Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 08:53:06 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: How THICK are you?

Lucas AND "some other motor honey"?

I like the Lucas stuff, and use it in some
applications.  But it does make the oil THICKER.
Then, you went and added yet another "honey"?  even
THICKER.

More is not better.

Why not put some molasses in there too?  Heck, go for
concrete.

<SNIP>

Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 08:50:32 -0800 (PST)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

On the note of just pulling the filter out, cleaning
it, and reinstalling - I could not agree more.  I had
to pay $20 for a air filter for a 93 Suzuki
Sidekick....but for my DeLorean I bought the K&N
filter for less than it'll cost me to change the
Suzuki air filter 3 times in one year.  That sold me,
and that was only on the basis of one year, and I'll
have these vehicles for more than one year....at least
I hope =P.

Jeremiah

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 08:33:16 -0800 (PST)
From: M5E <nitrousgarageworks_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: oil discussion

  I've pretty much settled on 5W30 as being my oil of
choice:
A hotrod magazine article reported the largest
horsepower gain using that grade of oil

Using a super-grade synthetic, like Amsoil should lay
to rest any concerns about adequate flow, and
lubrication, or breakdown of the oil.

I've used the Amsoil motor oil in all my vehicles,
from V-8's to 4 cyl. Porsche engines, and have
"enjoyed" the extended drain intervals.

On drain intervals: Amsoil says their product can go
25,000 mithout a change. Supposedly at 12,500 miles
you should change the filter, and add a quart. But I
just opt for changing the oil and filter at 10,000
miles- period. Even doing that keeps the costs in line
with other brands of oil, and I still get to enjoy the
superior components of the synthetic product.

Some time back I asked AMsoil about mixing grades of
oil. Example adding a quart of 20W50 to my usual 5W30
to "stiffen" it, and asking would the grade then
change from 5W30 to 5W50? They (Amsoil) advised that
it would be like mixing golf balls, and base balls.
The properties of the 2 grades of oils would not mix,
and they recommended against it.

I can report though I have had no problems what so
ever with using the 5W30, even in a 4 cylinder high
performance engine.

Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 17:29:48 -0000
From: "ctdmc83" <nmastrocinque_at_dml_sikorsky.com>
Subject: Re: Volvo PRV Oil Weight Spec (10W30)

( www.dmcnews.com. Look for the link to archives.  Moderator)

HELP!  I'd like to search the archive for everything ever written
about the "best" oil and viscosity range for my Delorean in CT,
before I start asking you guys online.  How do I search this forum
for this subject?
Thanks,
NM

Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 11:07:36 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Hey Guy's help me out here,
So, What yall are saying is that when new products come out there will be no
improvement in performance and efficiency because it wasn't available 24
years ago for them to evaluate when they designed the car / engine.
Then all the claims that Bosch, MSD, Mallory, K & N not counting all the
other the 100's of companies that have the engineering money are wrong.
For example, Bosch in the platinum + 4 plugs. They have poured Millions into
design and research and state the +4 is the Best plug. MSD again have poured
millions and have developed a multi million dollar industry in improved
ignition performance products.
And K & N took 50 year old technology and improved the air filter from being
big and bulky to compact and spray on the oil. Maybe if spray oil was
invented 50 years ago the old oil bath filter would have never been made.
If what your are saying is true, then why are engineering departments all
over the world trying to build a better mouse trap and always trying to
improve the existing ones.
Sorry, I don't understand: I just know That if you keep on doing what your
doing then you keep on getting what you got.

Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 12:40:30 -0500
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>
Subject: Re: Re: fascias for sale...

So you're saying it's one of a kind?!  The price just went up to $1000
for the front.  (haha)

Just kidding....Actually, these are like new fascias that were being
reserved for Ian Foster's "Dusty" car.  After seeing what shipping was
going to be overseas, he decided to try his hand at repainting his, so I
sent him the codes, and these are available now.

Let me know if you're interested,
Josh

Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 12:37:44 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Yeah, but when some asshole in a BMW crosses 3 lanes to jump in front of you
and get into the left lane, then another idiot decides to stop at the yellow
instead
of flooring it like everyone else does, then the BMW stops short with his
$135K car's
braking system.... then your 20+ year old brake technology simply locks the
wheels,
then you begin to hydroplane and actually PICK UP speed, and even if you
turn the wheel
and nothing happens...... THEN WHAT?
I was only going 30 MPH on a concrete road, "Beltline" in Dallas known which
has one of the most accident prone intersections in the USA (as studied by
insurance companies).

I am not talking about ideal driving conditions with Ms. Daisy, in a panic
stop this is
not a good car to be in.
It will slide and then jerk you into another direction.
(Like I said, watch BTTF1 and see the car do it)
I am guessing that this is because the pressure is not evenly distributed
among all the
brack cylinders, as pressure releases it allows one wheel to spin and gain
traction,
if you are attempting to turn out of the way and the wheel is turned a
little it will
grab and jerk you in that direction.
This actually helped me once.
Some guy came to a quick dead stop on a 55 MPH little road, I slammed the
brakes
and started sliding, at the last second before I hit him, the car jerked to
the right hard and steered
me around the truck and into the shoulder.

Divine intervention or faulty engineering saved my ass.

I have gotten used to driving cars with ABS, my Taurus is such a good car
that I can not
make it go out of control if I try.
I have tried to do some age old brake tricks but nothing works.
You can slam the brakes and steer like normal and come to a quick controlled
stop.
There is a lot of difference in todays cars compared to the one's of a few
decades ago.
- Videobob

Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 12:38:43 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: oil discussion

You can not run 5W30 in everything. I ran it in my old 1979 thunderbird
with a 351 and it ate it up so quick I had to change the oil back to
10W40 in less than 1000 miles.

Mark V

Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 12:40:20 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

John that is what some of them are saying but i dont believe it either,
I am on your side for this discussion.

Mark V

Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 18:42:07 -0000
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: DeLo's In Year 'Round Use

It's important to remember that all of the %#_at_dml_^$#_at_dml_% strapped to the
DeLorean in Back To The Future significantly changes the aerodynamics
of the car in itself.  Picture a side view, and assume that the wind
travels over the roof of the car, down the back, and it pushes DOWN on
those big heavy metal vents on the rear of the car.  I assume that
this would push the back of the car down a little more, giving the
front of the car a little lift, thus not giving the tires an ideal
contact with the surface of the road, like a stock DeLorean.  This
however is merely my speculation, I am sure the physics majors here
can dispute what I just said in some way. I agree, the NCTs are
probably a big factor as well as to why the car slid.

Patrick
1880

Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 10:55:08 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: How THICK are you?

For years I have been finding failed electronic components that have Lucas embossed on them. I take them out and find a replacement from any other manufacturer. If, by chance, I run across one that still functions I remove it, hit it with a hammer and then find a replacement. Why would anyone buy anything with that name on it. Stupid! The two my not be related but there is something to a name.

Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 14:20:54 -0500
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Those were not Goodyear NCTs on the BTTF car. It also spun out when taking
off, does your do that much? I wouldn't use a movie as a definitive comment
on the capabilities of this car. You should drive yours back to 1955.