From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2355
Date: Monday, December 06, 2004 9:15 PM

1. Picture of D in personal ad
From: "Matthew David" <DMC5524_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. Volvo Air Filter Housing Pic Uploaded
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

3. Re: Volvo F Series CO Values
From: "endotex23" <endotex23_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Florida winter meet?
From: motarhedd_at_dml_aol.com

5. Dashboard/sunlight damage
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Upgrading the Air Filter
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. ANNOUNCING 2005 DELOREAN CALENDAR
From: gullwingmagazine_at_dml_juno.com

8. Reliability, handling, and a P.F. story.
From: Holler <thehauntfactory_at_dml_att.net>

9. how do i remove the rear left quater panel
From: "simonsays10002003" <simonsays10002003_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

10. RE: Re: Upgrading the Air Filter
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Seat Belt Bag
From: Travis Graham <tgraham_at_dml_noroads.com>

12. Spare Tire..
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: Upgrading the Air Filter (Later Volvo Style)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

14. Re: Spare Tire..
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

15. Re: Florida winter meet?
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

16. Re: Spare Tire..
From: "LJScarlet2" <ljscarlet2_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. DeLorean in Mountain Home AR.
From: "Nun Yah" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: Reliability, handling, and a P.F. story.
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. DMC in Mountain Home AR (continued)
From: "Nun Yah" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Re: Volvo F Series CO Values
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

21. Re: Florida winter meet?
From: "Steve" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

22. Re: Spare Tire..
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

23. re NC get-together
From: "dochudkins" <dochudkins_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. att Bill R re dual exhaust mod
From: "dochudkins" <dochudkins_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. attn Joe OBrien
From: "dochudkins" <dochudkins_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 04:09:03 +0000
From: "Matthew David" <DMC5524_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Picture of D in personal ad

Hey group,

Not that I normally look at this site or anything but thought you guys might
find this interesting:

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQHQEYK&key=XWQ

Matt C.

Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 04:49:40 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Volvo Air Filter Housing Pic Uploaded

I've uploaded to #5939's photo album a pic of a 1976 262 (B27F) for
sale on eBay. Air filter housing is clearly identical to DeLo. You can
also see EGR through the center of the U pipes, and PCV through the
sides (that's how Douvrin used to do it -- look closely at the pic on
Page C:02:01 of the Workshop Manual). Note absence of an idle speed
microswitch (no CIS). That's a smog pump opposite the A/C compressor,
sans belt...

Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 05:01:17 -0000
From: "endotex23" <endotex23_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Volvo F Series CO Values

Mr Robinson: I'm not arguing the published specs. I was only pointing
out they are for setting preliminary CO levels and should only be
used when the emission control system is disabled. I say again: the
entire point of the emission control system on any car is to maintain
a Lambda of 1 for both lowest emissions, best drivability, fuel
economy, and to provide the very narrow window of operation the
catalyst requires. It is not possible to achieve this Lambda at the
CO setting you claim. I'll give your manula credit as long as the CO
is set to the low end, something on the order of .4% or less.

Attempting to set CO above that level, and certainly at 1%, while in
closed loop will result in a zero power gain and will only require
the catalyst to work harder to convert the excessive CO into CO2.
Setting CO to that level in open loop is detrimental to the catalyst
and will result in increased emissions, lower fuel mileage, and is
illegal in most states to boot. If you wish to do this you must
defeat the Lambda system and remove the converter. At any CO level
much over 1% there will be insufficent O2 in the exhaust stream for
any but a new catalyst to light off. Co and O2 are inversly
proportional and a high CO will result in an O2 starved catalyst.

While I respect your apparent claim of expertise, from reading your
posts you exhibit only a rudimentary knowledge of combustion
principles, emission control, plasma physics as they relate to spark
gaps, and triboloy. I assure you I'm correct in my statements and
have the technical qualification and experience to back them up.
Perhaps we are only having a miscommunciation of sorts. I'm guessing
if you look more closely at that procedure you'll find it requires
the Lambda system to be disabled. This is usually done by
disconnecting the oxygen sensor on an OBD 1 or earlier vehicle so
equipped.

Greg

> I'm looking right at a Volvo factory manual (CI Fuel System, B27
B28 E/F):

Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 01:09:37 EST
From: motarhedd_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Florida winter meet?

Hey all,

a fellow listee mentioned something to me about a florida owners meeting a
few weeks back, has this already happened?

Russell Nicoulin
Vin#1790
Jacksonville, FL

Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 07:28:07 -0000
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Dashboard/sunlight damage

Hey everyone,
I purchased my own car from CA, and it's got some extensive "baking"
damage on the dashboard with a crack down the driver's instrument
cluster top. I've just used a nice grey cover that matches my
interior, but I wondered, is it possible to recondition/repair that
damage in any way? Like with a sealer or something? Does anyone even
offer that part out of sheer curiosity? (I'm guessing if they do,
it's REALLY, really expensive!) The cover works just fine, I just
need to velcro my glovebox onto it as the rectangle always comes off
and hits the passenger.
-John I, of the northern mitten regions, keeper of the hostess pie,
armor-all monger, and orange breakfast roll baker extraordinare.

Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 07:20:46 -0000
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Upgrading the Air Filter

Interesting. So if we pool our thoughts and resources, and come up
with better ideas, all will be well. er- better than well rather!
I'd like to just up the efficiency on my car, personally, no need to
create some sort of Frankenstein of a DMC-12...although that would
be kinda cool. :)
PS: Kudos, and glee to John Hervey. I got the parts I ordered
recently and was very happy. -I just haven't had time/tools/skills
to put them on my car yet. I think Santa knows what I want for
Christmas, lol (please help me fix my car dad. *Cough Cough*)
PPS: Stupid, stupid Johnny. Why didn't I think CLEAR cover!? ah,
well college and work'll do that to ya.
-John Rydholm

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "bluemax86" <massimot_at_dml_r...> wrote:

> There have been a couple of posts mentioning that the engineers
know
> what they are doing and have all the resources and tools to put
good
> engines together. While I agree with this, isn't it also true that
> they have to work within the constraints of the final cost of the
car.

Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 08:26:05 -0800
From: gullwingmagazine_at_dml_juno.com
Subject: ANNOUNCING 2005 DELOREAN CALENDAR

ANNOUNCING 2005 DELOREAN CALENDAR!
(One size fits All!)

Thanks to everyone for submitting quality photos for this awesome
collection of DeLoreans.  This year's calendar includes DeLoreans in
unique and interesting poses and beautiful background sceneries.  There's
even a bonus cover photo that features a group shot of Ds in the Smoky
Mountains outside Pigeon Forge.  Simply beautiful!

The 12-month calendar is assembled like a booklet or magazine (no spiral
binding), 11 X 17 (open) glossy full-color photos with bleed to edge of
page (no borders), for 8 1/2 X 11 (closed) frameable prints.

Now available for $15.00 ea. (Free U.S. shipping).
Canadian: add $1.50 ea. shipping.
Foreign: add $5.00 ea. shipping.
(Discounted shipping charges for more than 1 quantity per envelope.  Send
e-mail request for rates.)

ORDER TODAY for delivery before Christmas by sending check or money order
to:

     GULLWING Magazine
     P.O. Box 991
     St. Peters, MO  63376
     USA

 or electronic fund transfers available using checking account or credit
card via www.PayPal.com to gullwingmagazine(at)juno.com.

We're also accepting new photo submissions NOW for consideration in the
2006 DeLorean Calendar at the address listed above or the e-mail address
listed below.  If your photo is chosen, your copy is free!

Thank you,
Ron & Cheryl Wester
GULLWING Magazine
gullwingmagazine(at)juno.com

Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 09:54:39 -0500
From: Holler <thehauntfactory_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Reliability, handling, and a P.F. story.

Of our three cars, I have often considered our '82 D. to be the more reliable.
(We tend to consider this every time we are preparing for trips.)
We have a '95 Chevy truck, and a '95 Ford Escort, both bought new.

As for handling, Pigeon Forge was my first real brush with density, -er
destiny, when traveling to the DCS late the night before.
And I will preface this by saying that I don't drive recklessly with my 'D'.
We were on one of those curvy mountain roads (I'm from the mountains of
N.C., so don't think I'm some sort of 'flatlander.')
We were enjoying the curves and some music.  It was late and we were
already seven hours into a long drive. Not so much sleepy, but relaxed
and only going about 30-40, when suddenly. . .-the road ended!  It was
dark, but I could see that I had a choice to make; go left or right.  At
that speed, coming to a complete stop before going off-roading was not
an option.
To make matters worse, the intersection was all but blind until you were
right up on it and in the corner of my eye I saw headlights coming from
the left.  That pretty much told me I was going to try and point the
DeLorean towards the right.
Screeching brakes on the dry pavement, I turned the wheel right and the
rear end slung around behind me.  And before I knew it, we were
straightened out and pointing right.  I punched it, to get out of the
way of whatever might have been coming behind.  (After all, I didn't
know if it was going to be a volkswagon, or an 18 wheeler!)
Fortunately, that other car was going slowly and we got ourselves clear
before it reached the intersection.
All this happened in about two seconds.
I was very embarrassed and thankful and immediately very awake and alert!
The 'D' is low, wide and has 'junk in the trunk', (mine especially), and
I believe anything taller and more narrow would have easily flipped and rolled.
We were shook up, but maybe someday the couple behind in the DeLorean
that was traveling with us will give you their version of the story.
I'm sure their view was heart attack material.

I'm so glad we all made it to Pigeon Forge in one piece!
Oliver
#10694 'Time-Car'

"therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

Debates, and comparisons can, and will rage on for eternity. But no
matter what, the thing that I have been most pleased with has been my
car's reliability>

Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 14:58:50 -0000
From: "simonsays10002003" <simonsays10002003_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: how do i remove the rear left quater panel

hi iv never removed the rear quater before iv already removed the
rear facia just wondering how i goe about it and if theres anything
i should know any advice would be great

thanks in advance

Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 08:56:17 -0800 (PST)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Upgrading the Air Filter

Joe

Not to challenge someone with you expertise, but
several of us have acquired an air intake unit off a
PRV Volvo at salvage yards and it was VERY different
from that used on the DeLorean.

So there is no confusion here, I'm only referring to
the "cap" over the intake and the hose that runs
forward.  It MAY have been connected to a box
containing the filter that was similar or even
identical to the DeLorean, but it would have been a
seperate unit form the "box" that covers the
butterfly.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 13:41:18 -0600
From: Travis Graham <tgraham_at_dml_noroads.com>
Subject: Seat Belt Bag

For anyone looking for a random holiday gift for their significant
other, you may want to check this site out: SeatBeltBags.com.  They
make bags/totes/purses from seat belt material.  The relevance to this
group is that one of their color offerings is "DeLorean Silver." (A
good choice.)  Apparently these bags been around for a long time, but I
suppose I'm not up to speed with the bag market...

I have no idea how it looks, as I just ordered it, but thought that
perhaps someone else out there might need a gift idea too.

Best,
Travis Graham

Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 10:47:13 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Spare Tire..

This past weekend, DeLorean Midatlantic had our winter
holiday event.

Thanks to Gary Gore for putting together a fun event..
and a BIG THANKS to Tom Grippenburg.

While on my way down to the event, I got a call on my
cell phone from another DeLorean owner who was stuck
due to a flat tire.  I took a 50 mile detour to lend a
hand.

The spare was typically flat, so I mounted mine which
had gotten a bead-seal about 2 years ago and has held
60Lbs with no problem since.

When I let the car down on the spare, all looked fine.
 We drove 10 miles to the local tire store and by the
time we got there, the spare was pretty much flat.

Which got me thinking..  We all know these spares
don't hold air, so most of us (as I did) took action
to "fix" it.  I thought the bead seal would do it, but
apparently not.

Has anyone had luck fixing a spare, and then having to
use it with success?   Getting it to hold air sitting
in the trunk is one thing, but getting it to hold air
after putting the weight of the car and stress of
motion on it seems to be a bigger challenge.

Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 22:50:29 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Upgrading the Air Filter (Later Volvo Style)

That's the later style, adopted late 1980's. Connects the fuel/air
mixture unit to a filter housing on the driver's inner fender.

1981-1983 Volvo was using the same air filter housing as Delorean
(dates back to 1976).

Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 16:12:08 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Spare Tire..

I just went to a tire store and had a brand new spare put on and they
cleaned the rim and it has held perfect for a year.

The original tire got rock hard thats why it wouldn't seat properly on
the rim. The new tire looks exactly the same but it is a lot softer
than the original spare tire.

Mark V

Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 16:52:44 -0500
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Florida winter meet?

Russ,

We may be able to have one of our own soon. I know of at least three others in town now.

Contact me directly if you are interested

Cecil Longwisch

Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 22:34:18 -0000
From: "LJScarlet2" <ljscarlet2_at_dml_yahoo.com>

As the owner of the incapacitated D, I am very grateful to Marc for
not leaving me stranded somewhere along the Garden State Parkway :)

I hit a few nasty potholes on my way to the Long Beach Island
Christmas parade.  My tires were probably not in the best of
condition, but this was more than they could handle.  Driving along,
late as usual, all I could think about was missing the event when I
heard a popping sound and saw billowing clouds of smoke coming off
the front passenger side.  I freaked out, hit the hazard lights, and
dropped from 70 to 20.  Thank God no one was right behind me.  I
pulled over to the shoulder.  Frantic, I called Marc and screamed
something about the car being on fire into the phone.  I got out and
saw that the whole tire had burst.  Afraid of being hit in the car,
I sat outside in the freezing cold until a nice state trooper pulled
over and called for a tow truck.  The only fun part was having a
state trooper use his loudspeaker to say "Miss Delauren, please get
out of your car."

Marc was nice enough to backtrack to come get me, possibly missing
the parade himself.  He jacked up my car and let me borrow his
spare.  He used his powers of charm and persuasion to get me to the
head of the line at Sears to get two new tires.  All this, and we
still made it to the event.

This has taught me a few things, which I will share with you:
1.  Leave ample time to find anything in New Jersey.  Chances of
getting lost are high.
2.  Potholes are not your friends.  Avoid them.
3.  It is not enough to have a spare tire in your trunk.  It also
must be inflated and air tight.
4.  The jack that came with the car works just fine.  But, only if
you have all of it.  I had just a handle and Marc had the rest.
5.  Join AAA.
6.  Know what kind of tires your Delorean has.  And that they may be
hard to find.
7.  Parades can be short one Delorean and still be fun.
8.  Even if you are driving 20 miles per hour with your hazards on
and wildly signalling out the window, no one will make an effort to
pass you.  They will honk and curse instead.
9.  It is just a car.
10.  Get to know people in your local Delorean club.  You never know
when you might need them or be able to help someone yourself.

Miss Delauren

Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 21:35:55 -0000
From: "Nun Yah" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DeLorean in Mountain Home AR.

I was just notified that there is a DeLorean for sale in Mountain Home
Arkansas. I am very interested in buying the car but need to know if
anybody knows any information about it? Thanks.  -Josh

Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 13:13:52 -0800 (PST)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Reliability, handling, and a P.F. story.

Wow.  What a great story.  Scary as heck, but great
nonetheless.  Glad you're ok, that would have been
terrifying, especially the "see the headlights coming"
part.  I have had to make one or two panic stops, and
I have never had any trouble with my car's handling.
Given I only drive up to 45 mph or so (I'm not lying
about that either - after $12k-$18k is PARTS alone, I
don't want to wreck), I have never had a true "close
your eyes and scream" moment in my DeLorean - except
maybe when the door locked on me unexpectedly.  But
door lock reliability is another story now isn't it
=P?

Jeremiah

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 02:07:39 -0000
From: "Nun Yah" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DMC in Mountain Home AR (continued)

 I found the car I am going to buy it asap.

Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 22:59:59 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

With all due respects, you totally missed the point of my post --
Delorean used (among other things) same Lamda setup as Volvo:

Volvo set value: .7-1.3% CO
Delorean set value: 1% +/- .3% CO (Workshop Manual Page D:04:01)

If that doesn't qualify as identical, I don't know what does.

Should you need any more evidence, as soon as my friend w/ scanner
comes back I'll upload to #5939's photo album Volvo and DMC pages side
by side for comparison.

The engines in the back of out little silver cars are nearly 100%
Volvo B28F. *THAT* was my point.

Somehow you managed to zero in on one sentence fragment only and run
totally in the wrong direction with it...

Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 18:04:35 -0500
From: "Steve" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

Cecil & Russ, I just purchased my D a few weeks ago. I am in the Fort
Lauderdale area if you guys have anything going on in Florida.

Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 23:10:11 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

This is good news - I thought a new spare tire was not available in
any brand. Where did you get the spare tire?

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 23:46:45 -0000
From: "dochudkins" <dochudkins_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: re NC get-together

Louie, et al:

I'll be in ATL recording a CD Jan 2-6 and am planning on visiting F&F
in CLT after then. Probably returning Jan 12-14. Dunno if that's too
late but would like to say hi again and maybe meet some of the other
owners in my ex-hometown. Will watch the list for further info, or
you can email me off list [fhudkins at uno dot edu].

--Farrar

Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 23:47:23 -0000
From: "dochudkins" <dochudkins_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: att Bill R re dual exhaust mod

Bill, this sounds like a great idea for non-purists/wrenchmonkeys
like me. I'd like to plan to do this. Have you compiled a list of
parts necessary, and sources thereof? I'd be happy to write up a
documentary on how to do this if you don't have time, using the info
myself (eventually) and enaiding others who would like to perform the
procedure to make it easier to work on their cars. (I'm considering a
re-vamp of my personal website to make it more informative, with
a "DeLorean" section.)

If nothing else, I'd like to chat and take a few photos when I'm up
in NC next month, if you have the time. Hope you and I can get
together and chat over a nice Cheerwine or Cool Moon. :)

--Farrar

Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 23:48:24 -0000
From: "dochudkins" <dochudkins_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: attn Joe OBrien

Just FYI for all, really, but esp. Joe, since he mentioned having
seen one. "Lucas: Prince of Darkness" shirt available here:

https://www.roverparts.com/ProductList.asp?PerPage=20&CurPage=4

...along with other fun shirts such as "I'd rather push a Rover." :)

--Farrar