From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2357
Date: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 8:53 PM

1. Re: Dashboard/sunlight damage
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

2. Ottawa area owners?
From: "Kevin Rawlings" <kdrawlings_at_dml_sympatico.ca>

3. Re: Re: Upgrading the Air Filter
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

4. RE: Florida winter meet?
From: "Richard T. Herrick, MD" <docrth_at_dml_verizon.net>

5. Clutch Line Replacement
From: Jordan Gary <jordan_at_dml_investmentplanner.net>

6. Re: Ottawa area owners?
From: "vin2450" <svw_coco_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. Re: Digest Number 2355
From: whocruiser_at_dml_aol.com

8. Stuff?
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>

9. RE: Re: Upgrading the Air Filter
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. CO Values Uploaded
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

11. Re: PRV's -- DeLo vs Volvo vs Renault
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

12. Re: Florida winter meet?
From: "Steve" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

13. Re: Re: Dashboard/sunlight damage
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: DeLorean in Mountain Home AR.
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

15. RE: NC get together
From: "Ralph Isenberg, III" <delorean1981dmc_at_dml_hotmail.com>

16. Re: Re: Dashboard/sunlight damage
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>

17. Delorean exhaust
From: "secret_jedi_guy" <secret_jedi_guy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: Re: DeLorean in Mountain Home AR.
From: mike clemens <rmclemns_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: Clutch Line Replacement
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

20. Re: Re: PRV's -- DeLo vs Volvo vs Renault
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

21. RE: Delorean exhaust
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

22. Re: Re: Dashboard/sunlight damage
From: Chris Pilcic <chrisdmc82_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. Re: PRV's -- DeLo vs Volvo vs Renault
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

24. Re: Clutch Line Replacement
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

25. Re: Delorean exhaust
From: andydandy777_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 04:51:17 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Dashboard/sunlight damage

I was able to repair my binnacle pretty well with a flexible epoxy
used to repair flexible bumpers. After sanding it down I sprayed it
with grey vinyl dye. It isn't perfect but the big gash down the center
is gone. If you need the exact information on the stuff I used let me
know. The other option is to have it recovered. Just Dashes can do it
but it is expensive. I don't know how many binnacles are left in stock
but I am sure they will be pricey and still subject to sun damage and
being 20 + years old. You probably need to respray the dash too, if it
is sun-damaged it is probably turning orange/brown in the middle.

Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 05:08:02 -0000
From: "Kevin Rawlings" <kdrawlings_at_dml_sympatico.ca>
Subject: Ottawa area owners?

Hey everyone,

It's been a long, long time since I last posted anything to the group
here, probably something close to two years.  To make a long story
short, I find myself in Ottawa, Ontario in first year History at
Carleton University.  I'm still a huge DeLorean fan (that much hasn't
changed) but despite my best efforts, and mainly due to the fact I
can't afford my own car and used to live in a rather isolated town,
I've only ever seen one D in my life, and the owner wasn't exactly
the friendliest person I've met.  He watched me rather suspiciously
while I looked at his car (this was at a car show, so I wasn't doing
anything unusual,) and I got the feeling he didn't want me there.  So
what I'm looking for is a better first-hand DeLorean experience here
in Ottawa.  I don't know if there are any owners in the area, but I
really hope there is someone who would be kind enough to let me stand
and drool while looking at their car.  It would quite literally be a
dream come true!  (Don't even get me started on the number of
DeLorean related dreams I've had!)

Thanks in advance,
Kevin Rawlings

PS- I don't get the chance to check the list that often, so sending
an e-mail to kdrawlings(at)sympatico.ca is the best way to get a hold
of me.  Thanks!

Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 12:33:04 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: Upgrading the Air Filter

Hopefully this will settle the matter:

The DeLorean air box was used on the Renault 30 and in the Volvo 26x
cars. Volvo redesigned it in the 76x and Renault put a turbo in the way :-)

Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 23:42:12 -0500
From: "Richard T. Herrick, MD" <docrth_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: RE: Florida winter meet?

I live on Redington Shores/St Pete.
When and where do we meet?
Dick Herrick

Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 08:40:44 -0600
From: Jordan Gary <jordan_at_dml_investmentplanner.net>
Subject: Clutch Line Replacement

My clutch line started leaking and I got a new stainless steel braided
one.  The DMC manual says to unbolt the body and lift it up an inch to
put in a new line!!  Can I do this with less trouble?  How?  Can I pull
out the old one with a cord tied to it and then pull in the new one? If
so, which end should I pull from?  Thanks,  Jordan  Gary

Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 15:42:30 -0000
From: "vin2450" <svw_coco_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Ottawa area owners?

Hi Kevin,

I happen to live in Ottawa, 15 minutes from Carleton U.  I would be
more than happy to show you my Delorean.  I will be taking time off
around the holidays and would be happy to show you the car then, or
anytime after that.  I only ask for advance notice, since I'm not
readily available with a new born at home.

P.S. you bring the Tim Hotons!!!  Just kidding!!

Just bring your camera.

Stephane Van Westerop
Vin 2450

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Rawlings" <kdrawlings_at_dml_s...>

Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 11:30:41 EST
From: whocruiser_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Digest Number 2355

In a message dated 12/6/2004 10:18:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com writes:

> Message: 21
>    Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 18:04:35 -0500
>    From: "Steve" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>
> Subject: Re: Florida winter meet?
>

> Cecil & Russ, I just purchased my D a few weeks ago. I am in the Fort
> Lauderdale area if you guys have anything going on in Florida.
>

> Steve

Hi Steve -

I hear you bought Ken Costa's car, a REALLY nice one!  I'm also in the Ft
Lauderdale area, as are several other owners on the list, and I've been wanting
to try and organize a local (or regional) get together in our area.  There's a
local car cruise night every Friday from 6pm - 10pm at a shopping plaza
located off the intersection of I-595 & University Drive (The Tower Shops) that is
very well attended, and if I contact the people who organize it, we can easily
get a small area set aside for a few of us D owners to "show off" together.
I'm sure we could get at least half a dozen cars just from our own tri-county
area, plus others who may want to come in from further afield.  Anyone who
wants to try and do this, please contact me, either here on the list, or privately
at whocruiser(at)aol.com and perhaps we can do it some time in late January
or February.  If we have enough interest, I'd be willing to give it a go...

Dan Harris - VIN# 1662 - FL Tag# MY 81DMC

          *****WhoCruiser_at_dml_aol.com is Dan Harris*****
WhoCruiser's Personal Home Page: http://members.aol.com/WhoCruiser
Read about The Sci-Fi Sea Cruise at: http://www.scificruise.com
Purr-use The Cat House at: http://members.aol.com/LookAtMyCatsPage

Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 08:30:21 -0800
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>
Subject: Stuff?

[Moderator note - follow-ups off list - see email below]

Bricklins?  You want to know about Bricklins?  Where did that come
from?  Happy to fill in any blanks you might have although Claude (CBO
something) had 3 Ds and 2 Bs while I had 2 Ds and 2 Bs.  Interestingly
he is an original owner of a Bricklin (per his posting) and sold off his
3 Ds before I sold off my 2.

I got back on the list today...I'm watching!

Les  jhuckins(at)cybersurfers.net

Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 08:39:21 -0800 (PST)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Joe, Bill, et.al;

Thanks.  Consider me now updated. :)  When they are
all smashed up in the slavage yard it is kinda hard to
knw the model year.

Dick

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 17:27:18 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: CO Values Uploaded

Have uploaded to #5939's photo album side by side comparison of CO
setting values from Volvo and DeLorean factory literature
(highlighted). Are clearly identical, which was my point all along --
DeLoreans left Dunmurry with engines virtually identical to B28F's,
Lambda included.

Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 17:38:53 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: PRV's -- DeLo vs Volvo vs Renault

In all this discussion I forgot to mention one significant difference
among PRV's: each end user had its own gasket set. Only the castings
are basically identical. Peugeot and Renault are supposed to have much
sturdier head gaskets than Volvo. I'm guessing DeLo inherited the
weaker Volvo set, given the number of head gasket problems reported on
the List.

Renault also had it's own intake manifold O rings. Are square cross
section, not circular.

Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 14:27:23 -0500
From: "Steve" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

Funny you mentioned Tower Shops, I was going to go out there the past few
Fridays but I just updated the dash lcd to a touch screen for the new
computer I installed and wanted to wait till I was done. Going up to Disney
this weekend (not taking the D) but would love to go to Tower on the 19th if
we can find some others that would be great.

Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 08:47:25 -0800 (PST)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Dashboard/sunlight damage

Delorean Motor Center has sells/installs genuine
leather covered binnacles, knee bolsters and dashes
that are, in some cases, less than NOS replacements.
Again, perhpas not for the purist, but the leather
will neither crack nor discolor as the vinyl did.

I have had the binnacle and knee bolsters done this
way, and the match is amazing.  When (not if) the dash
needs replacing, this is the way I will go.

Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 22:08:44 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean in Mountain Home AR.

Josh,

The city and state looked familiar, so I checked through my archive
of links of Deloreans For Sale and came up with this link:

http://volition.chooseyouritem.com/exotics/files/60000/60474.html

My guess is that this Delorean is probably the same Delorean that
you are looking into purchasing.  It was For Sale for a long time.

I believe Cain from the DML and (way of cain) from Tamir's Forum
has looked at this car in person in the past.

Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 12:22:12 -0500
From: "Ralph Isenberg, III" <delorean1981dmc_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: NC get together

Hi Louie,
  My 81 is not insured right now and may be sold, but I might like to attend
and see the other cars, especially if you do the Winston area. I like the
photos of your blue engine too, very cool :^)
Ralph

Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 17:28:10 -0500
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>

Do they have door trim panels?

On Dec 7, 2004, at 11:47 AM, Dick Ryan wrote:

> Delorean Motor Center has sells/installs genuine
> leather covered binnacles, knee bolsters and dashes
> that are, in some cases, less than NOS replacements.

--Pete Lucas

Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 22:48:50 -0000
From: "secret_jedi_guy" <secret_jedi_guy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Delorean exhaust

Hey all!  With all this talk about performance and the differences
between PRV's and straight Volvo engines, as well as oil and what
not, I have been spending quite a bit of time under the louvers to
find some things out about the uniqueness of this car's powerplant.

I am curious, and I know the veterans on the list have an answer, as
to whether or not there is a really good exhaust upgrade kit.  I am
looking for something along the lines of the DMCH stage engine
upgrades but unfortunately DMCH doesn't sell those systems
separately, yet :D.

We all know that one of the biggest problems the PRV has as far as
performance is concerned is the extremely restrictive single exhaust
system that it has.  A muffler with two exhaust pipes means nothing
if it only has a single exhaust intake from the engine that is
bolted to a very large and restrictive catalytic converter.  The
ability to clear exhaust from the chambers quickly, greatly enhances
performance.  I read by sticking with the current muffler and just
taking off the catalytic converter will boost power by about 15-20
HP.

I hope this thread doesn't get as heated as some of the last ones.
Remember we're all friends in the same boat...er car.

Japheth VIN: 1223

Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 15:03:40 -0800 (PST)
From: mike clemens <rmclemns_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: DeLorean in Mountain Home AR.

Those pictures do it way too much justice---I've seen
it (up close inspection) and it's got many, many
problems.
Example:  Why is there a bolt stuck in the keyway of
the passenger door lock on the outside??

Mike

------------

Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 23:07:12 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch Line Replacement

You do not have to lift the body. You can cut the end off the old one
and yank it right out. The new one might go in and might not. There is
only one spot where it probably won't so if you strap-tie it up nice
and tight it is not an issue. I have seen cars where the old one was
left in. Not a good idea, it keeps dripping brake fluid. You cannot
pull the old one out with the new one attached. The ends have a short
piece of metal pipe and it is bent up so you don't have the room.
Strap-tie it tightly. The outer metal braid is very abrasive so if it
rubs it will wear whatever it is next to like the paint, a rubber
hose, the epoxy, etc. Be sure to thourghly bleed the clutch system so
you get all the air out.

Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 23:47:10 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: PRV's -- DeLo vs Volvo vs Renault

content22207 wrote:

>In all this discussion I forgot to mention one significant difference
>among PRV's: each end user had its own gasket set. Only the castings
>are basically identical. Peugeot and Renault are supposed to have much
>sturdier head gaskets than Volvo. I'm guessing DeLo inherited the
>weaker Volvo set, given the number of head gasket problems reported on
>the List.

Well I've bought head gaskets from Volvo, Renault and pattern parts (3rd
party) and they're all basically identical. The reason the DeLorean has
problems with head gaskets is the electrics controlling the cooling
fans, and in our experience water pump thermostats are failing quite
regularly now. There's nothing wrong with the head gaskes in a D as long
as you don't cook the beggar. Change your rad fan switch, re-crimp the
connectors and heat-shrink them. Check the relay for the fans and make
sure the fan fail socket is clean and you have good fat jumper wires
with clean connectors. Lastly make sure the fans work properly and the
blades are attached. Change your water pump thermostat and make sure the
coolant bottle cap holds pressure (recently had one in that didn't and
boiled before reaching temperature). This lot adds up to $50 (if that)
and will save several times that if the head gasket(s) do ever go.

>Renault also had it's own intake manifold O rings. Are square cross
>section, not circular.

Rubbish! The old ones come out square because they're 20 years old! I've
stripped several pre 83 Volvo 760's and they're all the same.

Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 18:49:09 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: RE: Delorean exhaust

Japheth,

We recently ordered the high performance header kit from DeLorean Motor
Company for one of our performance upgrades. If I'm not mistaken as long as
your not in a hurry they are available.

DMC Joe

Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 16:36:55 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Pilcic <chrisdmc82_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Jake and I recently tore into my interior to fix my binnacle, dash, and headliner.... I went the cheap way, but was very happy at how the car turned out.... I had a local guy do the headliner, and binnacle about $50, he covered the crack in the binnacle and recovered the entire thing with vinyl, its not original, but looks pretty good... as for the dash i was lucky not to have any cracks but it was very discolored... so I took a risk and bought some vinyl color/die at a local auto supplier, the match was incredible (Grey interior...) we took the dash out to paint it, not a hard job, however, and there is always a however in life... be-careful if you take that route... we tore the top of my center console, because of the two large bolts on the back of the dash, but with extreme care by jake he managed to fix it pretty well.... and why we had it out we also replaced all the speakers, much easier job with the dash out.... it took about two weekends, but well worth it... the work totally
 changed the look on the inside of the car.... if you want to go that way and need any pointers, or need to know the name of the paint let me know...

chrisdmc82_at_dml_yahoo.com
cpilcic_at_dml_ktrs.com

Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 00:42:13 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

I don't recall ever hearing about DeLorean "head gasket problems" in
any greater instance than any other old car. Yeah - they leak at
times but not out of proportion to age/population, and it generally
seems to be related to overheating issues that are admittedly a
DeLorean issue if you don't keep up with your cooling system and
electrical maintenance. Neither of these is really a head gasket
problem.

Where have you seen square o-rings other than taking them OUT of an
engin (i.e. used).

Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 00:56:32 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

When I replaced mine a couple of months ago it just slipped right out,
and the new one slipped right in. You can't pull it through because of
the metal ends, but the hose itself should slip right out the side of
the channel it's run in.

Trying to explain better: The hose isn't run in a "sealed" channel,
the edge is open (think "U" shaped) and the hose itself will fit
through the open part of the U. You just pull it out, and push the new
one back in (kind of like tucking lamp cords under the baseboard to
hide them).

At least, that's how mine was...

-Ryan

Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 20:12:15 EST
From: andydandy777_at_dml_aol.com

If you will take a look at the photo section you will see under "exhaust"
pictures of a custom exhaust system I had make, it fits great, sounds great and
gave my car a big boost in performance. If anyone is interested in this
contact  me at my email address and I will give you all the input you need, cost
was  1,100 dollars.
Andy 3513