From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2359
Date: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 1:29 PM

1. RE: Reliability, handling, and a P.F. story.
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

2. Re: Delorean exhaust (pics of UK setup availible)
From: "jamesrguk" <James_rg_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. a humble opinion
From: "nitrousgarageworks" <nitrousgarageworks_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Front frame extension questions.
From: dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com

5. Winter Tire Pressure
From: Tom <dmctom_at_dml_earthlink.net>

6. DMC Lookalikes
From: toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com

7. Brake Lights
From: "Jennifer Moe" <jennymoe4_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Front frame extension questions.
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

9. RE: Brake Lights
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

10. Re: a humble opinion
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

11. Re: Dashboard/sunlight damage
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

12. RE: Brake Lights
From: "D F" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>

13. RE: Brake Lights
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

14. False Ebay listing...
From: "Dan RC30" <danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. Re: Brake Lights
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

16. Brake Lights
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. RE: a humble opinion
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

18. Re: Mountain Home AR DeLorean
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: Delorean exhaust
From: "trekkerlb_at_dml_netzero.com" <TrekkerLB_at_dml_Netzero.Com>

20. Re: False Ebay listing...
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

21. responding to the critics
From: "nitrousgarageworks" <nitrousgarageworks_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. RE: a humble opinion
From: M5E <nitrousgarageworks_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. another example................
From: "nitrousgarageworks" <nitrousgarageworks_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. RE: Brake Lights
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

25. The Once and Future Car
From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 23:44:20 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: RE: Reliability, handling, and a P.F. story.

Jeremiah,

Thanks for the flattering comments. We have several stretches of road that
are traffic free especially on weekends that double as a test track. BTW: I
like your description of how you enjoy a relaxing drive in your DeLorean.
That's another plus of owning a DeLorean.

DMC Joe

Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 08:40:31 -0000
From: "jamesrguk" <James_rg_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Delorean exhaust (pics of UK setup availible)

There is a kit you can buy over here in the UK, but with the
exchange rate as it is, it probably looks a tad expensive to USA
buyers at the moment.

You can see a picture at the bottom of this web page

http://www.dmc12.co.uk/engine_page.htm

This is a fantastic peice of kit, adds loads more power and whan you
order it you have a choice of 3 engine notes, varying from a stock
sound to a loud/throaty roar.

Very nice

James

Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 13:59:16 -0000
From: "nitrousgarageworks" <nitrousgarageworks_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: a humble opinion

 A humble opinion: There has been much debate about the speed
capabilities of the DMC, expressed in: The DMC vs (fill in the blank).
  I think the DMC was designed not so much to be a speed car, as a
touring car. To show advanced design and technology, rather than
speed, to show style and grace rather than horsepower. To show
reliability and longevity rather than "flash in the pan" statistics.
That's why the car still turns heads, and substancial numbers of them
are still around. Quality and progressive thought endure.

Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 12:36:50 -0000
From: dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com
Subject: Front frame extension questions.

Hi lads,
I would like to have a front frame extension fabricated to replace
the one that is on my car. I've a few questions on this if anyone
could help, I would really appreciate it.

1. Are the exact dimensions of the front frame extension available
anywhere? Any engineering drawings?

2. In Service Bulletin ST-03-2.82

(http://www.dmcnews.com/bulletins/ST-03-2.82.html)

it shows the jig used to align it properly with the rest of the
frame. Is there an engineering drawing of this jig (with
measurements) available anywhere?

3. What gauge metal would you recommend it be made from, to be
stronger than original?

Any suggestions would be great, online or offline. I would buy one
from one of the vendors, but being in Ireland, the postage, import
tax, etc. does not make it worth while.

Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 08:05:01 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
From: Tom <dmctom_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: Winter Tire Pressure

My car is up for the winter and there seems to be a thought that putting the car on blocks is not a good idea for the suspension.   I have overinflated my tires to approx 40-45psi.....Is this enough to help with flat spots?  Should it be higher?  lower?   Thanks

Tom

Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 01:46:28 -0800 (PST)
From: toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com
Subject: DMC Lookalikes

Got to speak to a young man yesterday who is looking forward to his first car and is convinced he wants a D. I was very impressed by his automotive knowledge and he mentioned that he had been a D fan for a long time and mentioned some cars that I am not familiar with that he said look "just like a DeLorean."
First, he described an unknown model Lancia that he had seen and said it looked "identical" to a D from the side and rear quarter, but not as wide. Anyone know what model he may be talking about? A quick search of the 'net reveals there are several Lancias that look like they were designed by Giugiaro, but in my opinion more closely resembe a Triumph TR7 than a DMC.
Second, he mentioned a vehicle I have never heard of before called the Centurion. He was surprised I was not familiar with it and he said it was a kit car that looked a lot like a DMC, down to the "tollbooth" windows. Again, anyone have any more details, or know where any photos of this vehicle could be found? A search of the net for the words "centurion" and "car" reveals thousands of hits....I checked the first few with nothing like that vehicle.

Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 13:57:31 -0000
From: "Jennifer Moe" <jennymoe4_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Brake Lights

Has anyone have/had a problem with their back braking lights?  One
of mine periodically goes out due to a loose connection.  I have
cleaned that thing and messed around with it and it still goes out
once in a while.  Any suggestings?
Thanks, any help would be great!

Jennifer Moe

Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 14:36:22 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Front frame extension questions.

You might want to check with a vendor anyway (I think most of them
offer it) - about three posts back someone noted that European-built
components look pretty expensive in the US given the exchange rate,
which ought to make US-built parts not look so bad. I doubt anyone
who's gone to the trouble of engineering such a component is going to
give away the engineering design.

Dave S

Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 09:52:59 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: RE: Brake Lights

Jennifer,

This is a common problem and is a result of poor construction of the
original tail light circuit boards. The easiest and simplest fix is to
purchase the PJ Grady tail light upgrade. We have installed hundreds of
these items over the years and they are a vast improvement over the
originals. Not only will all of your rear lamps work when there supposed to
they will also be much brighter. If you can handle a Phillips screw driver
you can easily install them yourself.

Click on this link for more information:
http://www.pjgrady.com/lgspec.asp?id=26
Regards,
DMC Joe

Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 14:54:22 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: a humble opinion

The sad truth is the Delorean is a slug even by 1980's standards. The
car was supposed to have an EPRM frame and when they couldn't do it in
time for production they had to use a steel frame. This made the car
heavier than origionally intended. The "fix" was to spend millions to
develop the Legend Turbo cars. If production had continued you would
have seen a tremendous improvement in performance. JZD knew he had a
performance problem and he did what he could to improve it. He knew he
would not be able to continue to market a car like this that could not
go as fast as it looked. He was competing head-to-head with the
Corvette and he needed to be able to outperform it in looks, handling
AND performance! You should get your hands on Stainless Steel Illusion
by John Lamb. DMCH has it or you can try e-bay. Reliability and
longevity was not quite so important as "moving metal". He had to sell
cars to stay in business. And to sell cars they had to go fast too.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "nitrousgarageworks"

Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 15:06:10 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Dashboard/sunlight damage

I have had several people e-mail me for the specfic products I used to
repair the binnacle. So I don't have to reply to each I am putting the
info up here again:
The epoxy is   3M Automix # 5895 Plastic Repair and the vinyl dye is
   Plastikote #408 Charcoal Grey
I got the epoxy in an auto body supply shop and the vinyl dye in Pep
Boys. Wipe down with alcohol before spraying (not the drinking kind
either). The "secret" to the vinyl dye is to apply it VERY dry. The
way to do it is to hold it 24-30 inches away so it can dry BEFORE it
goes on the binnacle. This will give it a rough, grainy look. Not
exactly like the origional grain but not shiny smooth either. BTW the
epoxy is expensive. I paid $30 for a small kit.

Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 15:45:38 +0000
From: "D F" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Regarding brake lights not working.
Often the printed circuit board in the tail light system loses connection.
This has to do with the original riveted soder joints.
I was told by Houston DMC that the factory approved method of repairing this
was to take
a nail set and place it in the rivets and hammer it to spread the rivet out.
I did this and it worked very nicely because I had several lighting problems
in the tail lights.
If it' just the brake lights it might be something else as well.

Dale Funk
4984

Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 08:57:38 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I am sure people will tell you about PJ Grady's boards that sell for about
$125 with shipping,
here: http://www.pjgrady.com/lgspec.asp?id=26

Then you will also be told about the "nut and bolt" fix, where you use
little nuts and bolts
to tighten the joints, but this is not always a permanant fix.
I did that and it only lasted a few months.

There is only one way to fix them and that is to either REPLACE THEM with
Grady's new ones
or re-solder all the contacts after cleaning them with elctro-wash.

I have a spare set that I will re-solder and mail to you for $50 if you want
them.
(core replacement required).

- Videobob

\

Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 09:59:08 -0500
From: "Dan RC30" <danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: False Ebay listing...

Check out this auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4510440215&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

This is obviously not a DeLorean engine. I did some investigating and it turns out that it's a B27 engine, not a B28. Buyers beware!

---Evil Dan

Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 14:57:26 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

There is plenty in the archives about the taillight boards. You can
fix them up by carefully cleaning all the contacts and making sure the
shells for the bulbholders are round and the bulbs move easily. Add
some screws in the rivets and/or solder them. The more expensive way
to go is to get the better taillight boards.

Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 07:39:54 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Common problem.

Fix:

http://www.pjgrady.com/lgspec.asp?id=26
or
http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/tailights.htm

Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 10:06:51 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

You are 100% correct; but as you know one of the most common questions from
the general public is: "How fast can it go!" The DeLorean just happens to
have the look of a real fast car.

DMC Joe

Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 08:27:56 -0800 (PST)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Mountain Home AR DeLorean

What are you looking to spend if you don't mind me
asking?  If money isn't a complete problem, there
looks like a fantastic DeLorean on eBay in Georgia.
If it works around my schedule, I'd even be willing to
drive up there and look at it.  It's located in
Fayetteville, Ga.  Normally, I don't highly recommend
at all eBaying a DeLorean, but I'd definitely take a
nice long checklist and visit this one.  For those of
you who'd like to see it, the link is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31830&item=4510375178&rd=1

I know looks aren't everything, but this car looks to
have been very well kept up.

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 17:00:47 GMT
From: "trekkerlb_at_dml_netzero.com" <TrekkerLB_at_dml_Netzero.Com>
Subject: Re: Delorean exhaust

This looks like a great idea - but I have to ask, and those in NJ may be able to help more - what of inspections?  I know in NJ they specifically look for the cat - is the age something taken into consideration?  How's emission levels after the removal?
Thanks for the input!
Luis

Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 17:53:35 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: False Ebay listing...

Actually it appears to be Renault Z7V. Notable Renault characteristics:
- Aluminum fuel distributor (w/o lower chambers)
- Metal fuel lines
- Fuel dampener adjacent to CPR
- Possibly full throttle advance on CPR (Volvo only used in 1977)
- Grey plastic caps on balancing screws

If it indeed is Z7V, should be 9.5:1 compression. That alone might be
worth the price of admission. My former Renault block ran like a bat
out of somewhere. Easily out performed stock DeLorean. BBQ'd the
catalytic converter however.

Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 16:30:43 -0000
From: "nitrousgarageworks" <nitrousgarageworks_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: responding to the critics

  Responding to the critics: We all know the reality of what we want
versus what we get. Mr. DeLorean found this to be true when he built
the DMC. Competing against a Corvette is kinda an unequal match,
again it's the DMC vs (fill in the blank). I approach the DMC as
representing a unique period in history, where one man's dream became
as practical a reality as he could make it. The dream still endures,
as I still see his cars, and enthusiasts around. If I want to go
fast, and look good, buy a Porsche (as I did), if I want to own and
treasure a unique piece of history, recognized by all, and a legend-
none the less, I will buy a DMC (and someday, I will).
  Granted, had developement on the DMC continued we would have seen a
host of "improvements". But what we have is what we have, and I would
consider myself honored to own a DMC, critics withstanding.

Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 08:32:49 -0800 (PST)
From: M5E <nitrousgarageworks_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Besides, realy, who gives a damn how fast it can go?
The speed limit is 65 for the DMC, the Porsche, the
Corvette, even the Lamborgini!

Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 16:45:58 -0000
From: "nitrousgarageworks" <nitrousgarageworks_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: another example................

  Another example: My 1985 Lincoln Town Car, still in mint condition,
never seen snow. It turns heads because it's unique, it represents a
dream, a specific period of time; The muscle car era had puked out by
then, little crap boxes abounded. Along came this under-powered V-8
engine, lugging 6,000 pounds of car around with it. It looked (looks)
beautiful, and though it's not a muscle car, or a Lamborgini, still
it turns heads, still gets noticed. Again, because it is unique, and
represents a specific dream during a specific time. The DMC shares
this idea (ideal). I think when Mr. DeLorean produced the DMC he
thought of the same marquis value that my Lincoln did (does): Travel
well.

Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 12:44:03 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Dale, I have repaired many boards permanent by soldering the connections and
weathering proofing and warranty for as long as you own the car. $17.50 ea.
Go to the bottom of the link page.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/electrical.html

Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 14:26:25 -0500
From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: The Once and Future Car

I have found myself in an interesting, though hopefully not
unpleasant, position and am interested in seeing if this has happened
to anyone else on the list.

The situation: I owned my DeLorean for about 4 years, and sold it
about 4 years ago (my how the time flies), the interesting thing is I
am now buying my car back from the guy who I sold it to 4 years ago.
(pretty much eliminates my ability to bitch about the previous owner,
seeing as at some point it was me).

The long story:  I have been fascinated with DeLoreans for as long as
I can remember, and even before I had ever seen one in the flesh I
told myself that no mater what it took I would own one at some time in
my life (and still hope to have at least one of each of the year
models, interior colors, etc . . .though still waiting for that
unknown rich relative to pass away and leave me everything so that
this will happen).

I  bought my DeLorean through DMC-Houston and took 4 days driving it
back to North Carolina - with some issues on the way home, but nothing
that was major (as an aside, the car was on consignment with DMC, they
were not selling is as reconditioned, etc).

The times that i had the car were the standard Love Hate relationship.
 Most of the time when I had the car and it was behaving I had a
wonderful time . . .and then the engine started failing.

What????  Seems that at one time in its history there was a small hole
that developed in the top of the engine block, and one of the previous
owners had just plugged the hole with epoxy . . .good enough solution
to keep it running, but it impeded the engines ability to adequately
get oil to the needed parts, so after a while it started breaking
down. . . .much time and money spent on getting that fixed.

After moving from North Carolina to Colorado, and eventually back to
North Carolina I decided to buy a house, and needed to come up with
enough of a down payment to get anything better than an old empty
refrigerator box . . . .so the DeLorean had to go.  I reluctantly put
it up on e-Bay and got myself a VW Cabrio to use as my replacement (I
hated that car) . . . I ended up selling it to a nice gentleman who
promised me that he would take good care of it for me.

Since i sold the car more out of necessity than from wanting to move
on to something else, I have monitored the DML ever since, and usually
went and looked at all of the "For Sale" listings at least once a
month.  I finally couldn't stand it any longer, and decided to start
seriously looking to purchase a new DeLorean (even sent some inquiries
to people about their cars - hope you got what you wanted for all of
them!!!!) when I got an e-mail from the guy that had purchased my old
car - seems that he was not putting it to as good a use as he would
have liked, and wanted to see if I was interested in buying it back.

The thought had never crossed my mind.  I figured that once it was
sold I would probably never see the car again.  I had to think about
what I wanted - a new DeLorean with quirks that I would have to get
used to / kinks to work out, or a car that I had loved and hated, but
already gotten to the level where I would gladly jump in it and drive
across the country. . . so, ultimately I am getting my old car back,
and can't wait to start driving it once again.  I used it as a daily
driver before (even during the winter in Denver), and cannot wait to
do so again.

Anyone else on the list with a similar experience?
--
Michael

3472 <---soon to be back home