From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2363
Date: Friday, December 10, 2004 7:38 PM

From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

From: "composerphacia" <ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com>

From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

From: "savantprods" <TCConnors_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "billeg1983" <billeg1983_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "nitrousgarageworks" <nitrousgarageworks_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: JDub <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Jan van de Wouw <delorean_at_dml_home.nl>

17. Re: Re: Door Light Diodes
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMUK <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

18. Re: An oil question On Turbos
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: Door Light Diodes
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

20. Re: An oil question On Turbos
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: Monster Nation - Rich W.'s Delorean Projects (Dec. 13th)
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

22. Re: An oil question On Turbos
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

23. Re: classic instruments
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

24. RE: An oil question On Turbos
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

25. Water on Floor on Driver's Side
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 03:13:30 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: a humble opinion

 Marc, I dont think anyone would imagine you would be selling the TT
engine..........OK so...how much??? Christmas is around the bend

Harry Vin #2696

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 05:47:38 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: CI vs CIS Nomenclature

That's how Volvo uses the acronyms (see manual pages in #5939's photo
album, circa 1984). Martin has told me Bosch produced literature does
the same, though I've never seen any to verify. My Renault manuals
simply refer to K Jetronic as "the injection system", and at that time
Renault had no automated idle speed system to reference.

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 09:30:56 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Door Light Diodes

Behind the centre console on the right hand side under the hazard light
switch

Martin

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 06:11:12 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Driver's foot well, on top of the frame Y.

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 10:21:42 -0000
From: "composerphacia" <ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Mechanic in VA needed!

Greetings,

I am looking for an experienced DeLorean "mechanic" (profession of
mechanic is obviously not required, but I need someone who knows the
vehicle well!) to examine a possible purchase.  I live in South
Florida.  The car is in Blacksburg, VA.  Examine www.mapquest.com if
you're unfamiliar with the area.  Quite a bit of distance to cover for
me, unfortunately.  Hence the reason of this post.  If there is anyone
available who is interested (or if you even know of someone), contact
me off-list at ComposerZelgadis (AT) aol.com and we'll talk business.

Thanks for your time!

Regards,
William F.

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 04:21:46 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I used to be a smart-ass about it (no, your kidding?)
Now I just tell them what they already wanted to hear.
They want to hear it is fast and expensive.

I usually say it is worth about $75,000 ro sometimes $150,000 depending on
how I feel,
and I say that I have never had it over 150MPH.

No one ever disputes it, if they knew in the first place then they wouldn't
ask.
- VB

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 05:09:19 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Stuff?

Since my name was used,
Acutally it's CBL302, I had at one point in time 6 Deloreans(of all
years)(not including parts cars) and 2  1975 Bricklins and 4  1986
Fiero GT's fastbacks , NOW I am down to just one Bricklin,they are
now all around the world one "D" is in the UK one is in Poland,four
in Long Island NY,One bricklin just arrived today(12/9) to a new
owner in Texas,and the Fieros I have no idea where those went.

Claude
No DMC's
just one "B"
Making life a little
simpler

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_c...> wrote:

> Bricklins?  You want to know about Bricklins?  Where did that come
> from?  Happy to fill in any blanks you might have although Claude
(CBO
> something) had 3 Ds and 2 Bs while I had 2 Ds and 2 Bs.
Interestingly

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 13:01:59 -0000
From: "savantprods" <TCConnors_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: classic instruments

Does anybody know anything about a Classic Instruments?

They appear to have designed a retrofit kit to update (both
aesthetically and functionally) the Delorean gauge cluster.

A picture of their panel can be seen at this link:

http://www.classicinstruments.net/index.phtml?catid=186

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 06:07:42 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Everything is for sale.

I did not say I was looking to sell it.   BUT,
everything has a price!

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 15:08:30 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: An oil question On Turbos

I am curious as to what oil people use in their turbo cars. I know
turbos are very tough on the oil because of the heat of the turbos,
and the need for the oil to be very clean. On the same subject how
often is the oil changed? How durable, ie, how long do the turbos last
before the seals leak? Do the turbo cars use oil? By that I mean do
you have to add much between oil changes and is it from burning or
from leaks?

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 14:58:46 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

I always get asked "How fast does it go?" and I usually reply, 88 MPH.
If they have seen and remember the movie they usually get IT. If they
haven't seen or remember the movie I get a "What the f-ck does that
mean?" kind of look. Even an old P.O.S. Toyota can go fast, it is all
a matter of ACCELERTION, ie, how long does it take to go fast. 2nd
derivitive kind of stuff for the math majors out there. One thing
about the Delorean though, it feels a lot faster than it really is,
between being so low to the ground and the impressive cornering and
"G" forces you can generate with little body roll.

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 08:14:51 -0800 (PST)
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Mechanic in VA needed!

I am not a DeLorean mechanic, but I have owned two DeLoreans over the last 5 and a half years. The first was a car with "potential". After two years of owning it and about $6,000 in repairs, some of which I did myself with a lot of telephone help from DMC, Texas, I sent it to them to restore. The car had 80,000 miles on it and I decided to trade it to them for a fully restored car that had 3150 miles on it. I live only 50 miles from Blacksburg and am an alumnus of VA Tech. I will be happy to inspect the car for you if you can not find someone with more technical knowledge. Feel free to contact me off line at rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com  if I can help. I am not a Stephen Wynne , Don Steger or Rob Grady, but I will be free. Rod Dillman 10921

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 17:34:01 -0000
From: "billeg1983" <billeg1983_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: HELP: Angle Drive Installation

1. Instructions for replacement angle drive state that the wheel
spindle nut is a 32mm and angle drive is 1.25 (inch). What are the
correct sizes (38mm socket and 1.50 open end)?
2. Any suggestions on replacing the angle drive.
3. I am pulling off the calipers with brake line attached and rotors
for inspection and clean-up.  What are the torque specs for spindle
nut and calipers ?  Should I use Locktite for assembly ?
4. Where is the best place to get replacement pads - front and back.

Thanks,
All suggestions are welcomed.
BillG1983
NYDCPA: 09-11-01

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 17:38:54 -0000
From: "nitrousgarageworks" <nitrousgarageworks_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: All I want for Christmas

All I want for Christmas is a DMC, a DMC, a DMC.
Shot body, and a blown motor is ok with me, ok with me, ok with me
Why don't one of you rich dudes give me a DMC, a DMC, a DMC
SO then I could be cool, with my DMC, my DMC, my DMC
and you'd respect me like I do with thee, I do with thee, I do with
thee
Hope to find a DMC under my tree, under my tree, under my tree
Cause that would mean the world to a dude like me, a dude like me, a
dude like me.
Merry Christmas to you all! Peace on Earth, and a DMC in every garage!

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 10:23:00 -0800 (PST)
From: JDub <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Yeah, I think you're right. Too bad I just put the
console back in, now I have to take it out again.
Gotta love it!

Jon

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:05:42 +0100
From: Jan van de Wouw <delorean_at_dml_home.nl>

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 16:04:36 -0800 (PST),
JDub <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know where physically on the car they are located?

They are located behinde the center console, on top
of the wiring loom running on the lefthand side.

If you stick your head near the pedals you'll see them,
3 tubes, about .5" diameter and 2" long, taped to the loom.

JAN van de Wouw

Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000
--------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:00:02 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMUK <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: Door Light Diodes

Ah - hell! Just realised the car that I had to troubleshoot non-working
door-lights on was a right-hander with the wiring loom flipped over.
Ignore me - Jan's correct

Martin

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 14:33:11 -0800 (PST)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: An oil question On Turbos

David

I have always used synthetic in my turbo'd cars.
Usually Mobil 1, but Castrol Syntec on a few
ocassions.  I've put almost 100,000 miles on this car
and have had the turbo gasket/seals replaced twice.
One in conjuntion with a rebuild.  I burn NO oil; ie.,
I have never had to add oil between changes.  I
typically change at 3,000 miles though I have, on long
trips, gone as far as 4,000 miles.

I have used 10W-30, 15W-50 and next spring I am
leaning towards 0W-40.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:19:33 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Mine are accessible with the console in place.

This isn't really "under dash" work. Gullwing door makes much easier
access than traditional hinges. Just kneel down by the car and reach in.

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 23:44:14 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Monster Nation - Rich W.'s Delorean Projects (Dec. 13th)

One more chance for Original Productions to do this the right way.

Just another reminder to set the Tivo or VCR on Monday, Dec. 13th,
since most folks are not home by 6pm (Central) on a week night.

My Delorean Projects profile will be aired during Monster Nation's
Episode #28, to premiere on Monday, December 13, 2004, 6pm Central
and will be repeated early on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 at 1am.
Even if the show is lame, the Delorean Projects should look cool.

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 23:13:03 -0000
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

David,
     In Arizona I run Mobil 1 Synthetic 15W50 in my twin turbo.  I've
put over 10,000 miles on it out here.  I am the third owner of this
car as far as any records say.  To date I've never had to add any oil.
 I change the oil every 5,000 miles due to the extreme summer heat and
increased operating temperatures.  So far the oil has looked as clean
cokming out as it was going in.  I never find sludge or particles of
any kind.
     I haven't had any turbo problems.  No leaks, no apparant oil
usage, and the only overheating incident was linked to the cooling fan
circuit breaker.  Since having Jim Reeve fix that (It's a great 10
cent upgrade if you are interested.  I've shared the details with Rob
as well), it will idle at 200-220 degrees in 115+ degree heat with the
A/C on.  I rarely see 220 in the summer, it usually hovers around
210-211, but traffic brings out the worst in cars.
     To sum it all up: my car is a champ out here in the desert.  I've
come to learn that's what you get when you have Rob Grady go over it
and prep it for you....:)

Matthew
AZ-D VeeP
VIN 16816

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 23:37:28 -0000
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: classic instruments

That is the instrument cluster for DMCH's new interior.  I wonder if
it can be purchased from this supplier and installed in one of our
cars fairly easily?

Patrick

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:15:10 -0600
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

My son uses Mobil1 15W-50 in his BAE equipped car.

If memory serves me, which it seldom does these days, I think BAE's
instructions said to change oil every 2000 miles. Of course that was 20+
years ago and oil is a LOT better now, especially the synthetic. I think an
oil and filter change every 3000 is fine if you're using synthetic. After
oil changes, pre-oil the turbo before starting the car to get fresh oil to
the turbo bearings. That can be done on a D by disabling the ignition by
grounding the coil tower lead, and disabling the inertia switch under the
steering column, then cranking the car for maybe 20 seconds to pump some oil
through the turbo. Then hook everything back up and you're good to go.

We noticed no difference in oil consumption after adding the turbo to the
car.

Turbo seals are good for a lot of miles if the oil used is of good quality
and is changed on a regular basis along with using filters of high quality.
I can't give a mileage figure, but I've heard of turbos going 80,000 or more
without issues. (I've also heard MUCH shorter figures!) All  of which makes
me think MAINTENANCE is the key to turbo life. That is to say, use only
synthetic oils, change the oil and filter regularly, and either install a
turbo timer or WITHOUT FAIL let the car idle a few minutes before turning it
off after any hard driving.

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 00:04:59 -0000
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>
Subject: Water on Floor on Driver's Side

This evening I discovered that the carpet was soaked on the driver's
side. The carpet by the foot pedals were dry. I haven't been running
the A/C or heater and I haven't driven it in the rain. Any ideas
where it may have come from? Tomorrow I'll have to remove the seat so
I can dry the carpet from underneath the seat.

One interesting discovery I found. I pulled the padding from
underneath the carpet. I found a crecent wrench rusted to the
padding. From the rusting it appears it had been there a while. It
was stuck to it and had to peel it off. Perhaps left over from the
factory? Did one of you who worked on the raffle Delorean lose a
wrench? :)

Shannon