From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2365
Date: Saturday, December 11, 2004 6:04 PM

1. Re: a humble opinion
From: "Lauren" <LPLand_at_dml_earthlink.net>

2. Re: a humble opinion
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

3. another humble opinion
From: Holler <thehauntfactory_at_dml_att.net>

4. What's with the glug glug noise?
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

5. Red D on ebay
From: "Nun Yah" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. RE: Torque Settings?...............................
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

7. RE: Re: Water on Floor on Driver's Side
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

8. Re: DeLorean Oil
From: "Bill Lane" <blane_at_dml_triad.rr.com>

9. Tire Replacement
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>

10. early style door key assemblies
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

11. Re: classic instruments
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Something kinda neat
From: "nitrousgarageworks" <nitrousgarageworks_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: Re: HELP: Angle Drive Installation
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. DMC on TV
From: "Tom Watkins" <dmctom_at_dml_earthlink.net>

15. RE: Poll results for dmcnews
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

16. Re: Poll results for dmcnews
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

17. Re: Water on Floor on Driver's Side
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

18. Re: Water on Floor on Driver's Side
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: Door Light Diodes
From: JDub <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Re: Tire Replacement
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: Tire Replacement
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Re: Something kinda neat
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. Re: a humble opinion
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

24. RE: DMC on TV
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

25. Rear Louver (Last time)
From: jimbo0946_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 20:07:39 -0700
From: "Lauren" <LPLand_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: a humble opinion

For my H1 wagon my stock answer is $10 a pound.  Works for a
Delorean, too.

......................LP 10440

Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 02:54:43 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Jennifer Moe" <jennymoe4_at_dml_y...> wrote:

> That and how much did you pay?
> I always tell them what they want to hear, I think that is part of
> the allure to the car.

LOL, I agree Jennifer. I started off telling people, "I'd rather not
say" when they ask about the price. But people are rude and harass you
about it, and the last thing I want to do is get angry and ruin an
otherwise enjoyable conversation. So I started saying, "Well, you can
get them for about $20k", but after that people would look
disappointed. They'd say, "Oh", and they didn't want to talk anymore.

So now I tell them the truth: How much did I pay for my car? "I'm not
comfortable sharing that information, but DeLorean One sells them for
$65k."

That's completely honest and it keeps people happy. They say, "Wow!"
and keep asking questions about the car.

(now that I think about it, I could honestly throw out a much larger
number. How much are those gold cars worth?? ;) )

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:22:07 -0500
From: Holler <thehauntfactory_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: another humble opinion

Well. . .
I've heard discussions about the shortcomings of the DeLorean, including
engine power, etc., but one glaring design flaw has never been brought
up on this list.

Hasn't anyone else but me noticed that a DeLorean lacks a truck bed in
the rear for haulin' manure and farm tools?

(Sarcasm mode off.)
I agree with 'nitrous'.
I like my DeLorean because it's. . .a DeLorean.
I've heard of similar relationships where two people, for instance, get
married.
Then one expects the other to change or be someone that they aren't.
I'll never bemoan the fact that my DeLorean isn't more like some other car.:)
Oliver
#10694

Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 03:00:19 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>
Subject: What's with the glug glug noise?

My car lets out a "glug glug glug" when I decelerate. Almost sounds
like a partial backfire. If I rev the engine in neutral and let off
the gas it's even worse.

It's much less pronounced when cold. The first minute or so of driving
with a cold engine I can't hear it at all on normal deceleration and
only very minor if I rev the engine.

Any ideas?

Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 05:19:18 -0000
From: "Nun Yah" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Red D on ebay

There is something fishy about the red car on ebay. I found it on
cars.com, and classifieds2000.com. On cars.com it states that it is
at Freeman motors and at the other it stats that it is at Island
motors in Portland OR. On ebay it says that it is located in
Vancouver Washington.
 I don't know but it sounds very odd to me. Red car..red flag, maybe.

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 23:35:31 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Torque Settings?...............................

Mike, I just found that the back plate on the water pump torque at 7 - 11
lb's.

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 23:44:10 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Water on Floor on Driver's Side

I have the same problem.,
out in the rain I always get a wet headliner right on the top front corners.
My passenger side footwell always fills up with water, and I just can't see
where it is
coming from.
Also, when I am running the AC, my passengers complain of cold drops of
water hitting
their feet.
Is this related?
- VB

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:30:25 -0500
From: "Bill Lane" <blane_at_dml_triad.rr.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Oil

David,

I bought my DeLorean new on December 4,1981.  I put the turbo on my D about
1982 or 83.  At that time, I used Havoline 30wt. Turbo oil.  Now I use
Havoline 20w50.  My car burns no oil because of the turbo.   I change the
oil about every two to three thousand miles.  I only have about 25000 miles
on the car but  I've never had an oil consumption problem.  I've never had
to add oil between changes.

I bought the turbo system from the now defunct DeLorean Motor Club of
America.  The only problem I've had with the turbo was right after I got the
system, the boost would take forever to reach 5 lbs.  I sent the turbo (If I
remember correctly) to a place called Turbo City to be checked out.  They
said that they rebuilt it-I'm not really sure what they did but  whatever
they did took care of the problem.  Now the car comes onto the boost at
about 3000 rpm's and almost immediately hits 5 lbs. of boost.  I have never
had any more problems with the turbo except that the waste gate muffler
rusted away and I had to fabricate a new one before going to Memphis in
2002.

In the stock configuration, my D would do 0-60 mph in about 12 to12 1/2 sec.
On 5 lbs. of boost it will do 0-60 mph in about 6 sec.
Not too shabby.  It takes a little while to hit 3000 rpms and the boost but
it will really push you back in the seat when it does.  This isn't really
breath taking by any means but it satisfies me.  I'm satisfied with the
overall performance.

Bill Lane #3635

Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 04:38:06 -0800
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>
Subject: Tire Replacement

HI all,
    I know I can look at the archives but would appreciate a more direct and
up to date response!!    After 23 years, I have decided it is time to
replace the tires on my D.  I have 8K miles on the car and they look new but
will probably disintegrate when they are taken off the rims!  I know some
want them for concourse, but I doubt if they are worth bothering with.   Can
you guys give me a suggestion as to what seems to be the best replacement
these days...seems like I have seen some Michelins named recently.  Size and
make and model and suggestions as to Les Schwab Store mounting them as to
torque and balancing.  They can get anything I want and are near by.  It is
still a daily driver but I am no longer a hot rod driver.....just a sedate
83 year old who tools along like an old man!  I have raced cars and shifted
gears a lot in my life, but am past that stage now so handling in the rain
etc are not important anymore.  Just a good ride.   I got tired of rowing
through the gears (much as I always enjoyed it) and have an automatic now.
    Thanks.
        Murray
        Vin: 05962
        Lic: DMC-XII

Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 08:54:09 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: early style door key assemblies

Does anyone know where I could get the 2nd half of an original door
key assembly?  I have the half that contains the actual metal key,
but not the second half that snaps onto it to hold the light and
battery.  Are these available?  If not I may try to cast something
out of resin, and stick an LED in there.

thanks,

Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 06:13:38 -0800 (PST)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: classic instruments

As someone already mentioned, this is the cluster DMCH
used in their updated interior.  I got to see the car
at the Pigeon Forge show.  Overall I really liked what
they'd done, but I have to admit the gauge cluster was
my least favorite part.  It didn't have much
"personality" and looked like it could have been
pulled out of a Honda or something.  It also looked
like they tried to raise the actual gauge faces off of
the background and you could see between the face and
the back panel, into the "guts" of the cluster.
(Maybe this was just a prototype.  I'll assume it
was.)  Another thing that I thought didn't work was
the rounded shape.  The Delorean is a very flat and
squared car and the round binnacle just looked out of
place to me.  One last note:  I never actually sat in
the car, but it appeared as if the positioning of the
cluster let the top of the steering wheel block the
driver's view of the main gauges. This could be an
easy design error to make if the components were built
separately and not tested together during design.
(Again, this observation was made by leaning into the
car and not actually sitting in it so maybe someone
who's sat in it can chime in.)

=====
Steve

VIN 2650 ("Project Delorean")
www.projectdelorean.com

Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 14:23:37 -0000
From: "nitrousgarageworks" <nitrousgarageworks_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Something kinda neat

  Something kinda neat here: Our local paper has a section where
people write in to a column sorta-called "Whatever happened to", and
someone wrote in asking whatever happened to the DMC. The paper
responded that The DeLorean Motor Company was bought out and
consolidated to their present location in Texas, with parts to build
a few thousand more cars, though no new ones are being produced, and
they sell refurbished DMCs, it also included a brief history of the
DMC, their plant in Ireland, and the demise of the company. It also
included mention that there is still a strong following of owners of
the car.

Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 07:33:11 -0800 (PST)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: HELP: Angle Drive Installation

Check the DMC News Tech Section under Angle Drive
Removal for Dummies (nothing personal).

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 10:37:37 -0500
From: "Tom Watkins" <dmctom_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: DMC on TV

   "Cold Case" last night had a plot line of a rich guy scamming people in a stock deal.  This guy drove a DMC and was car jacked and killed.   Not too great that a guy scamming people was driving a DeLorean........it was set in 1985 with the investigators in 2004 trying to crack the case.    Nice to see the car on T.V. though and get some good screen time

Tom Watkins
dmctom_at_dml_earthlink.net

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 23:47:43 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Poll results for dmcnews

>From the voting, it looks like the members DO care.
These votes only represent a small part of the actual members.

I for one would like to know more about the situation.

As a customer I want to know who I am dealing with.
As a dealer, I want to make sure that other vendors like myself are not
labeled
according to others actions.
I have never used a schill or an alias and I think that sort of thing is not
cool at all.

Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 02:47:23 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

> With 0.051% of the members voting (an apparent landslide for "nobody
cares"):

Nice spin. The poll received 79 votes. There are 46 polls archived in
this forum. Out of those 46, only 8 have received more than 79 votes.
That makes this poll the 9th most popular in DMCNews' history. Not
quite the landslide you claim.

That said, I have to ask: What's with the political games around here?
Seems to me there is a subset of DeLorean owners who just love to play
politics. For example, when this poll first opened, it was private so
folks could vote without revealing their name. One of the moderators
made it public, likely to discourage others from voting.

I had second thoughts about voting in this poll purely based on it's
public nature. There are DeLorean vendors who refuse to sell parts to
certain people. Some have claimed the DeLorean Owner's Association
online store even prevents certain people from ordering. Now, I don't
believe DMCH does this at all, but nevertheless I'd hate to see a
needed part suddenly become unavailable to me because I voted in a
sensitive poll and pissed the wrong person off.

Do I care if someone from DMCH posed as a customer on this list,
praising their parts & service? Yeah, a little bit. It's shady and, in
my opinion, an unethical marketing tactic. Other companies play
similar games and nobody is surprised or even cares, but DMCH has
always felt more like a friend to me than some big faceless company.
So, if this is true, I'd be disappointed. Not angry, just disappointed.

Just remember one thing: We still need to hear DMCH's side of things.
So let's not cast judgement or turn this into a witch hunt, OK? DMCH
is on our side - they are the good guys. They've done more for us than
anybody else since the original DMC closed up shop. I've personally
spent a lot of money with them and will continue to do so in the
future. Maybe somebody there made a mistake, maybe not, but even if
they did we should forgive, forget and move on.

Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 20:55:53 -0000
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Water on Floor on Driver's Side

I thought it was funny, whenever I introduced myself to owners in
Pigeon Forge, they said "That VIN sounds familiar, you post a lot on
the DML...Wait, you are the water leak guy!".  As most of you
remember, my car would leak and eventually saturate the driver and
passenger side carpets when it rained.  And there was no way of
telling unless I stuck my hand under the carpets to feel the moisture.
 Now my advice, I'm not sure whatever really fixed the leaks, but the
following are the steps that I took...I might write a book.
1.) Take the trim off along the outside of the windshield and caulk
around the sides of the windshield itself.
2.) Caulk around the exterior windshield wiper hinges (where the bolts
go through and into the car), and do the same to the screw holes that
hold down the plastic "vent" that is screwed down the whole length of
the bottom of the windsheild.
3.) go to http://www.dmcnews.com/bulletins/ST-33-12.81.html for the
factory water leak bulletin.  It didn't solve my leaks, but it might
do it for you.
4.) I also got inside the car, with my head down near the pedals and
took a can of black rubber undercoating and sprayed literally every
spot where the fiberglass underbody was molded together.  I figured a
seal could have dried up and water could be coming in from there.  Be
sure to either have your carpets out or lay down newspaper when you do
this step.
5.)  With the same can of undercoating, I took off the front driver
side wheel and sprayed the undercoating along any place that I could
see where something went through the fiberglass and into the inside of
the car.  Its hard to even tell I sprayed anything, it went on brown
but dried black.
6.)  Also make sure that leaves are not blocking up the drain on the
passenger side below the windshield.  I took Shannon Yocom's advice
and made my own screen to go over that to prevent this problem.  Just
took a piece of house screen and spraypainted it black.

I am sure I did more, if I remember what else I will update you.  But
all I know is my car is staying dry now, even through the strongest
storms (knock on wood).

Patrick
1880----The Former Water Leak VIN, but now the DRY VIN

Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 20:50:54 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Shannon,

Were you the one who won the raffle car? Or did you buy it off the
man who won it? I never really ever heard what happened to that car
after it was won.

This is the raffle car from Pigeon Forge correct?

Joe OBrien

Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:05:19 -0800 (PST)
From: JDub <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Door Light Diodes

Thanks guys, I ended up finding the problem.  My
passenger side door light would not shut off.  After
much searching I found the ground wire was pinched
under a bolt in the door.  Thanks everyone for your
help!

Jon

Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 20:58:10 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Tire Replacement

I can highly recommend the Michelin Pilots. I believe you can get
them at any Michelin Dealer, Sears, Tire America, even Wal-Mart
maybe.

You'll notice a MUCH smoother ride after you stop driving on the
NCT's.

My NCT's on 2524 looked beautiful with no cracking or visible
deterioration, but they had flatspots bad enough to shake the teeth
out of your head above 50mph. Doors and everything shook.

With newer tires, was like a day/night difference.

You'll love the Michelins.

Joe OBrien

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_c...>

Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 21:39:11 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

 Hi Murray, I just replaced my NCTs with Michellin HGT4's last week.
To be quite honest I think thats the only tire still available for the
car....even those appear to be in limited quantities. Great tire
though nice ride, altough not my first choice, but I basically didnt
have a choice

Harry Vin#2696

Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:18:32 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Something kinda neat

A perfect example of why I continue to have issue with
the company in Houston playing games to use the
"DeLorean Motor Company" name...  If the REAL DeLorean
Motor Company were still in business, there would have
been a lawsuit over it.

The monopoly DMCH now has on the bulk of the NOS parts
is what keeps the other vendors who have been around
longer than DMCH from taking action against them.

Confusion like this was (in my opinion) the motive
behind selection of the company name.  This would be
Deception #1.

You should write the paper and correct them.  The
company in Texas has no relationship what so ever to
the company that built our cars..

If someone would like to claim otherwise, please
present some evidence.

--- nitrousgarageworks <nitrousgarageworks_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 16:43:37 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

There is a Toyata dealership in Irving, Texas near where I live that used to
be a DeLorean dealership,
they have a new unused black/83/auto that they claim they want $75,000 for
since it
is still new and never used or titled.
So sometimes I will tell them, "if you want one, they have one in Irving for
$75,000"
That usually shuts them up.

People expect the car to be worth something like half a million or
something.
Since your average luxury SUV will set you back $50K it is dissapointing to
hear
that you can get a exotic sports car for less than a Honda Civic.

- VB

Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 16:47:10 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: DMC on TV

This is a re-run,
I have a clip of this in my MEDIA section on http://www.dfwdmc.com
There was a lot of contraversy here about this when it came out because the
driver of the DeLorean was gay, and a thief.
Owners felt that this contributed to making the DeLorean look "bad".
Of course we also heard from a few of our fellow D owners who are gay
and they were also offended at the notion.

The show sucks and is a lame rip of CSI.
Skip it.
You can see the "good parts" on my website...you will see how BAD the acting
is.
-VB

Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 18:27:06 -0500
From: jimbo0946_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Rear Louver (Last time)

DMLer's

I am looking for a Rear Louver for our car that is in good condition.  If anyone would like to sell one, please email me with a picture and a price.  I live in Central NJ if that helps to calculate the shipping.

Thanks,
Jim Carroll
VIN#15880
Jimbo0946_at_dml_aol.com