From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2367
Date: Sunday, December 12, 2004 7:21 PM

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "Dan RC30" <danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Eric Itzel <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>

From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

From: " Toscano" <toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

From: DmcGman_at_dml_comcast.net

From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

12. Cool face and hot feet
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>

13. Re: Re: Tire Replacement
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>

14. Re: Cool face and hot feet
From: "dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick_at_dml_aol.com>

15. Photos
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

16. Regarding the DMC article in our local paper;
From: "nitrousgarageworks" <nitrousgarageworks_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Michigan resident seeking Delorean owner in the greater detroit area
From: "gullwing_gurl89" <gullwing_gurl89_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: What's with the glug glug noise?
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

19. Re: HELP: Angle Drive Installation
From: "billeg1983" <billeg1983_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Re: HELP: Angle Drive Installation
From: "billeg1983" <billeg1983_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: Re: Tire Replacement
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

22. Re: Tire Replacement
From: "joecellularjoe" <joecellularjoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. Re: Re: Tire Replacement
From: andydandy777_at_dml_aol.com

24. Re: Photos
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 00:14:43 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: What's with the glug glug noise?

I have to assume you have a 5-speed, the automatics won't do this
(usually). Do you have the stock exhaust or is it modified? Do you
have exhaust leaks? These things will affect the noise. If you are
still stock then check out the deceleration valves on the throttle
plates. They should move with the springs. If they are all gunked up
and sticking then clean them. Refer to D:09:01 in the Workshop Manual.
You can experiment with different springs and it will change the
sound. Experiment ONLY if you have modified your exhaust. A stock
set-up *should* be OK with the springs just the way they are if the
valves are not sticking. The noise you hear are backfires in the
exhaust manifolds because the mixture is passing through the motor and
is coming out rich enough to burn in the exhaust. The valves let more
air through the motor to lean the mixture out enough so it won't burn
in the exhaust. On trucks I have seen the whole exhaust system blown
apart by these backfires, it is hard on the exhaust system. It can
cause parts inside the muffler and catalytic converter to come loose.
It can cause cause the muffler to bulge. It can blow out the exhaust
manifold gaskets. All in all not a good thing to let continue.

Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 19:49:08 -0500
From: "Dan RC30" <danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Digest Number 2365

Um... a vendor? You're a vendor now? How, where, what, and why?

---Evil Dan

snip---> "As a dealer, I want to make sure that other vendors like myself
are not
labeled
according to others actions.
I have never used a schill or an alias and I think that sort of thing is not
cool at all.

- VB"<---snip

Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 17:21:58 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Rear Louver (Last time)

There was a DeLorean dealer in Keyport, NJ back in the
day...  A few years ago, I went to take a look at the
parts they still had in stock.  I do recall seeing a
brand new rear louver there.

Give them a call, Straub Lincon/Mercury in Keyport,
NJ.

The down side is that when I talked to them about
buying some of the parts, they were looking for pretty
much the same money (if not more) as the list price in
1981.  Maybe now they would be more willing to help
you out.

You may also want to send mail to the delorean
midatlantic members.  There are a few people on the
club list that are not on the DML.

www.deloreanmidatlantic.com

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 20:16:49 -0500
From: Eric Itzel <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>
Subject: Re: Something kinda neat

If I may...

Please don't write the paper! It's so nice for someone in the rest of the
world to publicize the car- why bitch about it when they do?

Eric Itzel

Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 19:31:51 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: fuel system clean out

Lacy, Here is picture of what your up against. All the way from the tank to
the injectors. Be careful about cleaners, They can do more damage than good.
Basically you have to start with cleaning the tank and going up to the
filter. Then evaluate from there.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/delorean-fuel-overhaul-1.j
pg

Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 20:55:01 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 12/11/04 6:14:27 PM Central Standard Time,
heylacy_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

> Hi, i just bought a D and it has been setting 5yrs.  is there a
> complete procedure for cleanig fuel system? someone had the fuel
> lines off pump, . they thought the pump was bad. i want to clean
> whole system. do you disassemble fuel dist. to clean it? is it
> servicable?  can i run injector cleaner through system and observe
> injector spray? thanks, lacy

Lacy,

Let's start at the gas tank and go from there.  Siphon all the gas out and
remove all the internals from the tank (pump, hoses, screens, etc).  If you have
a low-VIN car you may want to replace the pump with the updated one,
especially if it is suspect. The old style has a really long neck on it.  clean all
the plastic parts and replace anything that is warped, broken, or suspect.
replace all of the rubber hoses from inside the tank to be on the safe side.
clean the inside of the gas tank out with a towel and acetone (if there is
varnish) or other such solvent/degreaser.  You should be able to get all the corners
if you use a stick or something.  Let the tank air dry and then check it for
any remaining grit or whatever.  The idea is to make sure it is squeaky clean!

before you put your pieces back in the tank, make sure you actually have all
the parts. Check the Parts Manual to be sure.  Buy any parts you are missing.
Same goes for the rubber cover that goes over the fuel pump which the hoses
run through.  Absolutely necessary.

As far as the fuel injectors and the distributor go, they are in fact
un-serviceable without the proper tools.  My recommendation would be to call up Rob
Grady and send your distributor, fuel lines, and injectors to him.  He will
test and clean everything for you and tell you if anything needs to be replaced.
When you pull the injectors, remove them from the hoses.  If you see any rust
or pitting inside the fuel lines or injectors, they probably should be
replaced as they have been subjected to water damage.

Some people use fuel cleaner additives to try and clean things up, but I
wouldn't do that until I knew the tank and all those bits were 100%.  Maybe run a
bottle of Berryman B12 or STP fuel system cleaner in your first tankful after
everything has been verified in working order.   As an aside, I am on a
newsgroup/message board that seeks to debunk oil, lubrication, and additive myths
and claims.  Emperical testing shows the STP fuel system cleaner is one of the
best additives you can buy for the price tier, even better than Techron.  There
are better but then you are getting into things that are more expensive and
only marginally better.

Hope that helps!

Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 22:04:32 -0800
From: " Toscano" <toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

I appreciated hearing about that article...I was relieved (and, sadly given the mindset of the general public, somewhat surprised) that the focus did not seem to be negative, as much of the press about the car and JZD have been.

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 03:07:41 +0000
From: DmcGman_at_dml_comcast.net
Subject: Re: DMC on TV

Actually I think the DMC used in the show looked exceptionally clean and was referedd to several times as a high end car.  Aside from whatever gay reference to the owner, or being a thief, I like the fact that every time they mentioned the DeLorean itself ,by any character in the show, it was made to look like a car of those wanting a status symbol, and one that was very valuable.  In fact in one scene a character standing next to the car who gets in says the DeLorean is cool, and the owner says with a lot of hard work you can get one.  I think there were a lot of positive references to the car and the one they used looked brand new with no sagging doors and event the door lights working.  Overall a nice representation.  On a side note (and being employed in the field) I think the show is excellent (as far as fiction goes), and a far cry from CSI, as CSI is largely fiction as well.  By the way the episiode is called "Greed" for those who want to watch for it in the future on another airing.  Maybe if the DeLorean had a Mr. Fusion on the back you may have enjoyed the show a little more Bob. :)

Gary

<<This is a re-run,
I have a clip of this in my MEDIA section on http://www.dfwdmc.com
There was a lot of contraversy here about this when it came out because the
driver of the DeLorean was gay, and a thief.
Owners felt that this contributed to making the DeLorean look "bad".
Of course we also heard from a few of our fellow D owners who are gay
and they were also offended at the notion.

The show sucks and is a lame rip of CSI.
Skip it.
You can see the "good parts" on my website...you will see how BAD the acting
is.
-VB>>

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 04:10:53 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

If that was the Delorean that was just recently on eBay that was
stated to be in perfect order except the fuel pump was bad I would
replace more than just the fuel pump.

To make it reliable, I'd rebuild the entire fuel system, or you
could do it piece by piece, but it is easier to just do it ALL at
once.

www.specialtauto.com sells a nice kit to rebuild the entire fuel
system.

Joe OBrien

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 04:46:33 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

I'm in the process of bringing #2466 back to life. Here's a short
version of what it took for the initial start:
--Don't even try to start the car before you do all of this. You will
do more harm than good pushing goo around inside the system.
--Clean out the tank. Acetone is the best for this cleaning, but it
will make a mess of your skin. Get good chemical-proof gloves. Plan
on replacing the fuel pump, hoses, boot, cover, and pickup screen,
and anything else that you can't clean.
--Disconnect everything between the pump and the engine. At each
stage, blow some fuel cleaner(gumout, etc) thru the lines and into a
bucket - NOT into the fuel distributor. Blow out the return line too,
from the fuel distributor back to the tank.
--Replace the filter
--Replace the accumulator
--Lift all six injectors out of the engine. Put each one into it's
own small jar - babyfood jars or small drinking water bottles work
for this.
--Put new gas in the tank. Hot-wire the fuel pump so you can keep it
running. I just hook it right to a spare battery.
--At this point I actually tie the pressure and return lines together
near the fuel distributor and allow the system to circulate for about
15 minutes. Than I throw all that gas (about a gallon) out (actually
I dump it in the lawnmower) and start over. Now hook the fuel
distributor back up.
-- With the pump running, NO fuel should come out of the injectors.
If it does, stop now and unstick the fuel distributor plunger
(separate project).

Gently press down on the air flow flap at the top center (intake) of
the engine. Fuel should come out of all six injectors equally. It
should stop completely when you release the flap.

Once you have all six injectors working properly, hook everything
back up to normal and turn the key on without starting the car. You
should hear the frequency valve buzzing for a short period and be
able to feel the idle motor running. IF this all checks out, start
the car.

DO NOT take a fuel distributor apart. It can be done, but often it
will be leaky when you put it back together. This is one thing best
left to someone who has done it before. It's like opening up a watch.

I've done three of these "back from the dead" cars now. The worst car
had a frozen fuel distributor, frozen frequency valve, 3 bad
injectors. All of them had failed fuel pumps.  There was always at
least one bad injector, as many as three. Several places will clean
them for you. Grady, Hervey, Bauerle for sure, I don't know about the
others. Local shops that work on old German cars can probably do this
too.

Dave S

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 04:25:30 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: vendor

Ok, maybe I didn't get a certificate from the DML to be an official
vendor...
but I have two DeLorean related web sites that are set up as online shopping
sites
that run all by themselves selling parts to people around the world.
I have had advertised full page ads in Delorean publications, and have had a
booth
at a DeLorean event where I sold parts to people who were very famaliar with
me
and my products who ALL had great things to say about me to my face.
So far, there are a lot of people who have products they have bought from me
and almost ALL of them have been loyal returning customers.
I know that there are over 100 cars out there with my LED's in their doors.

So I am not sure exactly what it is that makes me an official seller of
DeLorean
related parts but I have my mind made up.

Aside from the handfull of people who live on the DML (me included) who like
give me smack.... my customers tell a different story.

I have been concentrating on my BTTF prop replicas for now,
but I am working on some great new D-stuff that will make a lot of people
happy.

So yes, I consider myself a vendor.

- VB

Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 21:54:31 -0800 (PST)
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>
Subject: Cool face and hot feet

I noticed this again today... the mode switch was set on Vent, fan speed
on 4 and the temp was all the way to the cool side. Typical cool air was
coming through the vents, but my I could feel heat blowing on my feet. Any
idea why this would be? Is this the heat from the radiator being vented
into the car? If so, is there a way to only use top vents when on "Vent"
mode?

Thanks,
Christian
(and happy holidays to everyone)

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 05:30:04 -0800
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Tire Replacement

I only got two reponses re my request for tire selection information!   Both
suggested Michelin Pilots and an HGT-4 model.   I want to order Monday and
guess best just go to Les Schwabs here and see what is available, for
starters!  Any other suggestions?   I am getting desperate...How about some
of you regulars on here?   Help!!

Murray
Vin: 05962
Lic:  DMC-XII

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 15:43:41 -0000
From: "dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Cool face and hot feet

This happened to me as well...

There is a hole in the assembly tthat is literally right behind the
mode switch on the back of the boxm near the wall of the car.  A
bunch of hoses enter there.  You access it fromthe drivers side
footwell and have to REALLY stretch to reach it but you will feel the
hole between the plastic (or whatever material it is) and the
fiberglass body of the car.  I simply took a piece of foam and shoved
it in there with a little duct tape and that took care of the
problem.

I am sure others out there can explain it better than I can, but that
is how I did it.

Michael Q
VIN# 02944

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_f...>

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 14:51:04 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Photos

{MODERATOR NOTE - this is what happens when thie file fills up. So it's housecleaning time. I hope nobody put anything there that they don't have somewhere else.]

Any one experiencing trouble getting to the photos section?

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 16:32:25 -0000
From: "nitrousgarageworks" <nitrousgarageworks_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Regarding the DMC article in our local paper;

Regarding the DMC article in our local paper:
I doubt I'll write the paper, to correct them. That's not realy my
place. I was just pleased to see someone remember, and ask; Whatever
happened to the DMC? Plus the press on it was at least positive!

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 17:09:59 -0000
From: "gullwing_gurl89" <gullwing_gurl89_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Michigan resident seeking Delorean owner in the greater detroit area

Hello everyone,

 My name is Meredith aka Mere and I'm a Delorean enthusiast. I was
wondering if there was anyone who is a Delorean owner willing to show me
their D so I coud take some pictures of it for my Christmas project I am doing
for a family member. It is a scrapbooking project and if there is anyone in the
greater Detroit area, Oakland, or Wayne county willing to show me their
vehicle, it would be much appreciated(in person if possible).  Also if there are
any members around the united states willing to send in a picture of them with
their Delorean and a brief description of their D ( it's nickname, or a great or
embarassing moment with their D) that would be great as well. My email is
gullwing_gurl89_at_dml_yahoo.com . Please feel free to contact me. Thanks very
much..

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 17:51:35 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

Thanks David -- Greatly appreciate the response. To answer your
questions, I have a 5 speed and the exhaust is stock except for the
larger tips the previous owner installed. I don't have exhaust leaks
that I know of.

I'll dig into those valves this afternoon and see what I find. Sounds
like a relatively easy procedure.

-Ryan

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 19:12:53 -0000
From: "billeg1983" <billeg1983_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: HELP: Angle Drive Installation

Thanks to all that replied - will check the angle drive for dummies
section.

----
> Dave
>

> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "billeg1983" <billeg1983_at_dml_y...>
wrote:

> > 1. Instructions for replacement angle drive state that the wheel
> > spindle nut is a 32mm and angle drive is 1.25 (inch). What are
the
> > correct sizes (38mm socket and 1.50 open end)?

---

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 19:30:13 -0000
From: "billeg1983" <billeg1983_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Dick,
I had navigateed to the Tech Section before but cannot locate it now.
I seem to remember that it was under Files.
Thanks,
Bill
I will not be able to log on for a few days - traveling.

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:37:38 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

tirerack.com is showing stock of the rears in a Pirelli P600 which I can
highly recommend - they are the _only_ choice we have over here and
thank goodness thay're excellent. The nearest match on the front are a
v-rated P6000. Tirewalls are almost identical, tread is different though.

Martin

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:40:36 -0000
From: "joecellularjoe" <joecellularjoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Tire Replacement

We don't have tons of options available to us, but of all the ones
available, the Michelin Pilots give some of the best performance &
durability of the other competition. Plus they look very attractive
when mounted on the car. Nice sidewall design.

How regular do I half to be? Trust me, you'll have no problems with
the Pilotsm, read the posts over the last year regarding the Michelin
Pilots and see for yourself. It's all in the past few months of talk here.

Joe OBrien

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:48:32 EST
From: andydandy777_at_dml_aol.com

Go to _www.tirerack.com_ (http://www.tirerack.com)  and check out  their
tires, they have 3 choices.

Andy B 3513

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:51:13 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Photos

Photos should be accessible again. Do us all a favor - when
submitting photos, first reduce them to a decent file size. For most
of this 30K or so is fine. The 256k pics are what fills this quickly.

If something should be posted more permanently, send them in to the
web page address at www.dmcnews.com and I'll put them in the tech or
personal sections.

Dave s

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_a...>