From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2368
Date: Monday, December 13, 2004 4:34 PM

From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com

8. Re: Re: Tire Replacement
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>

9. Re: Re: Tire Replacement
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. The Goonies
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. RE: Re: Tire Replacement
From: "D F" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>

12. Re: What's with the glug glug noise?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

13. xm radio antenna?
From: "petethepop2" <cameron_at_dml_bnl.gov>

14. Re: Re: What's with the glug glug noise?
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. RE: Re: Water on Floor on Driver's Side
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>

16. Re: Door Light Diodes
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

17. Re: What's with the glug glug noise?
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

18. Re: a humble opinion
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: DMC on TV
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

20. Re: Door Light Diodes
From: JDub <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: Re: What's with the glug glug noise?
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. RE: Re: Tire Replacement
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>

23. Re: Tire Replacement
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. Re: Tire Replacement
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>

25. Re: Water on Floor on Driver's Side
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 00:29:08 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Re: What's with the glug glug noise?

Since this is a problem that he only has when the engine is warm
(when the oxygen sensor has reached 400 degrees or whatever),
couldn't this be an indication of a bad oxygen sensor failing to
regulate the mixture properly?

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_r...> wrote:

> Thanks David -- Greatly appreciate the response. To answer your
> questions, I have a 5 speed and the exhaust is stock except for the
----

> -Ryan
>
> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_w...>
wrote:

> > I have to assume you have a 5-speed, the automatics won't do this
> > (usually). Do you have the stock exhaust or is it modified? Do you
> > have exhaust leaks? These things will affect the noise. If you are
> > still stock then check out the deceleration valves on the throttle
> > plates. They should move with the springs. If they are all gunked
---
> > David Teitelbaum
> > vin 10757
> >

> > --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_r...> wrote:
> > >

> > > My car lets out a "glug glug glug" when I decelerate. Almost
sounds
> > > like a partial backfire. If I rev the engine in neutral and let
off

Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 00:51:21 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Tire Replacement

 The pilots are XGT H4s I couldnt really remember,I wasnt knocking
them, they look great and are an excellent tire. Especially if you
have a daily driver. I was just interested in pirelli or something
of that ilk for purely superficial reasons, being that i dont really
use the car all that much, just some exercise miles on a Sunday
morning. I would go for them, they are in pretty limited
availability from what my friend told me, and you really cant go
wrong with them for a regular use car.
Good luck
Harry

Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 01:23:22 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_c...> wrote:

> I only got two reponses re my request for tire selection
information!   Both
> suggested Michelin Pilots and an HGT-4 model.   I want to order
Monday and
> guess best just go to Les Schwabs here and see what is available, for
> starters!  Any other suggestions?   I am getting desperate...How
about some
> of you regulars on here?   Help!!
>
> Murray
> Vin: 05962
> Lic:  DMC-XII

Murray!!

Don't go to Les Schwab! Can you drive your D up to Kennewick and go to
Costco? I'm here in the Tri-Cities; I bought the Michelin Pilots new
for my D earlier this year. Schwab quoted me over $700 for the deal. I
went to Costco and got the tires for under $500. Not only that, two
weeks later Costco had a coupon in the mail for $80 off a set of four
tires so I went back in and they refunded the difference. When all was
said and done I saved over $300 by going to Costco instead of Schwab.
(If you aren't a member, membership is only $50, so you'll still be
way ahead on price).

Costco does not normally carry these tires, you will have to order
them online through Costco.com first. They will be delivered to Costco
for you and the tire shop will call you and make an appointment to put
them on.

I can highly recommend the Michelins. Very nice tires.

If you need a hand with any of this just let me know - we're almost
neighbors.

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:34:10 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Tire Replacement

In a message dated 12/12/04 5:34:26 PM Central Standard Time,
murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net writes:

> I only got two reponses re my request for tire selection information!   Both
> suggested Michelin Pilots and an HGT-4 model.   I want to order Monday and
> guess best just go to Les Schwabs here and see what is available, for
> starters!  Any other suggestions?   I am getting desperate...How about some
> of you regulars on here?   Help!!

Murray,

I got the Michelin Pilot XGT H4 tires which you speak of.  They are GREAT,
look good too.  I would say they are better than the Yokohama AVS Intermediates
I had before these.

Expensive, but you will like them.

Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 02:37:01 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Tire Replacement (Goodyear)

Those of us driving in the bargain basement have used Goodyear Eagles
for years with excellent results. Standard was GT II, now discontinued
but a bargain if you can find needed sizes in remaining stock (this
fall I supplied an owner with 4 brand new for $160). Replacement is
something like the Eagle HR. More expensive than discontinued GT II's,
but still cheaper than Michelin.

Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 04:22:17 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

The problem with asking the opinion of most owners is that they will
have a very limited experience. Most are on the set of tires the car
had when they bought it! Some may have some limited experience with a
second set that may no longer be available. If you really want the
best, most experienced advice you should contact your friendly
Delorean  vender. They will have the most objective, unbiased opinion.
After that you will realize the Michelin Pilots are probably your best
choice now. Shop around for the best price but remember if you buy
them in one place and have them installed in another don't expect much
sympathy from the installing shop if there is ANY problem. They will
not give you any credit for the mounting and balancing if they have to
remove a bad tire. BTW I took my NCT's off recently and went for the
Pilots. I can say they were a HUGE improvement over the 20 year old
tires. Check the tire pressures YOURSELF after you get home and
retorque the lug nuts. Most shops will put them on so tight you might
not get them loose. If the lugnuts are messed up you might have to
replace them or risk never being able to get them off yourself. The
shells deform and come off. If the car has never had an alignment you
might consider one at the same time as the new tires. Talk to the shop
and examine the wear on the old tires. From the way the old tires wore
you can see if an alignment is indicated. In any case the entire
suspension should be checked for looseness and play and any damaged seals.

Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 07:07:33 -0000
From: nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Re: Tire Replacement / SIZES

Hi, I too will be shopping for tyres soon so all the info is of
interest but what size tyres does everyone use? I know the standard
is 235/60 but on mine when i got it were 255/60. I have never driven
the car yet so i cant comment on how the wider tyre effects the
ride/performance. Been a 255 and still a 60 side wall rating it would
have a larger rolling diameter, but would this be significant enough
to effect acceleration ???? The extra width definatly looks great
under the guards.

For those of you not familiar with trye markings they are as follows:
A 235/60 means that the tyre is 235 mm wide and the height of the
side wall is 60% of the width (235mm). So a 255/60 would be a larger
tyre in diameter,  to achieve almost the same rolling diameter as a
235/60 it would have to be a 255/55.

Cheers Nick - 10927

Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 06:49:21 -0800
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>

Great.....this time I got a bunch of suggestions re Tire replacement.  When
the stores open here, I will be making the rounds......I think, besides Les
Schwab that also Sears handles Michelin and we have a new WalMart with what
looks like a big auto department. I will check them all later today and
report!

Ryan: Great to have a fellow D owner near by.  Would like to get together
sometime.   We do not have a Costco here and my D sprung a water leak a
couple months ago.....I don't want to chance it on the highway until that is
looked into.  Probably will try to get someone to do "the works" and get all
new hoses and fittings and a new brass 3 core radiator for good measure, but
not right away.  Everything on the car is original and although low mileage
(8K) that stuff goes rotten and needs to be replaced.  So I can't very
easily take advantage of Costco prices.  We will see today.

Many thanks to everyone for all the suggesions......even the "Old Geezer"
Dick Ryan!!

Murray
Vin: 05962
Lic: DMC-XII

Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 01:53:07 -0000
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: The Goonies

I was just watching the GOONIES DVD special features,
there is a music video by Cindi Lauper with all the old WWF guys,
Rowdy Roddie shows up in a big brown limo, it has been custimized
with GULLWING doors!
If you ever wanted to see a Caddie as a Delorean, check it out!

Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 16:06:30 +0000
From: "D F" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>

One problem with Les Schwab is they won't be able to give you the same tire
for front and back.
Believe me, I went to a lot of Schwabs.
If you want a less expensive lower rated tire, Cooper makes one that will
work.
If you want a higher rated tire that is not so expensive,  Firestone 500's
are very nice.
For both of these you will be able to get the same tire on front and back.
D. Funk
4984

Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 04:29:11 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

The tips should not have any effect on the exhaust. A leak will have
an effect. It is a fairly easy procedure to remove the throttle body.
Just be careful with the tiny clips on the link that goes from the
throttle spool to the throttle arm. You should be able to see the
valves by just removing the "W" pipe. You can try cleaning the valves
right there without removing the throttle body too. If it is really
dirty you may have to take it apart. If it IS really dirty you should
figure out why. You may have a leak in the air intake and dirty air is
getting into the motor. If it is very oily maybe you are blowing oil
from the motor due to a cracked ring.

Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 14:07:27 -0000
From: "petethepop2" <cameron_at_dml_bnl.gov>
Subject: xm radio antenna?

anyone have experience with installing satellite radio in a
Delorean, particularly the antenna installation?

Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 06:50:32 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: What's with the glug glug noise?

Matt......I think your answer makes more sense than the others I've read, My car does the same thing, very slightly, and has no O2 sensor or cat.

Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 10:32:45 -0500
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Water on Floor on Driver's Side

No, I think I remember another poster about a leak dripping down the left
side of the windshield (in the trim) and behind the binnacle so the water
dripped down by your feet. This seems plausible. on the other side, there is
a hose that diverts water from underneath the windshield wipers; I heard it
can get stopped up. Check that. Finally, as far as A/C dripping Dan P had
that problem, I think he said there was a condenser leaking in there?
Whatvere it was, he fixed it by replacing the part.

Dom

Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 09:48:35 -0500
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>
Subject: Re: Door Light Diodes

Jon,

Can you please describe which wire was pinched by which bolt?  I believe
I have the same problem, and I have seen other DeLoreans with the
"passenger door marker lights stay on" problem.  Even disconnecting the
switch does not help.  I have assumed there was a ground problem in the
door, but after ten years of searching I have not found it.

- Mike Substelny
VIN 01280
In the 10th year of my bloody-knuckle quest for the pinched wire.

Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 16:30:25 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

> Since this is a problem that he only has when the engine is warm
> (when the oxygen sensor has reached 400 degrees or whatever),
> couldn't this be an indication of a bad oxygen sensor failing to
> regulate the mixture properly?

Matt - Possible. Does anyone know how to test the oxygen sensor,
and/or details on a cross-reference part?

>> It is a fairly easy procedure to remove the throttle body.

David - Yep, been there done that. Last I saw them (several months
ago) I believe they were clean, but I also wasn't looking specifically
at them. I'll dig back into it and see what I find.

I didn't have time to tear into it yesterday but will get it done this
week, perhaps tonight.

Thanks again.

Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 08:09:32 -0800 (PST)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: a humble opinion

Well, the way I counter that is the fact that you may
pay only 15k-25k, but you're going to put almost
another 10k-15k into the car to make it absolutely
picture perfect.  People today want a car that is
absolutely pristine - no flaws or inferior pieces to
note by eye or ear.  To get the DeLorean to that
plateau, you're going to put ALOT into a DeLorean to
get it "perfect".  I can buy a 85 Mustang that'll run
for $5k, that's not disappointing - that's expected.
So it's an exotic, that's only categorial.  You can
get a 1980 Ferrari GTS for $30k - it's an exotic about
the same age as a DeLorean.  Heck, even a Lambo
Countach (sp?) is around $75k, no disappointments
here.  If you want to get your DeLorean absolutely in
every single way imaginable, you will put in as much
as a new Lincoln or Mercedes SUV.  Carpets, glass,
exterior bodywork, headliners, wiring, console work,
dash work, doors, engine work - easily as much as a
new SUV.

http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:07:56 -0500
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: Re: DMC on TV

I have always wanted to share all the Delorean/TV related media like
this on my website also, but doesn't this border on some copyright
infringements?

Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 08:48:49 -0800 (PST)
From: JDub <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Sure, it would be my pleasure.

I think I got pretty lucky actually because I didn't
have to take the door apart to find the problem.  I
Took out the three lights from the door and used a
tiny LED flashlight to peek around inside.  Right
behind the middle light the ground wire was pinched
under the bolt right there.  Also luckily there was
enough extra slack in the wire that I was able to pull
both sides of the wire that was pinched in there and
clip them and then make the proper repair in the wire.
 There is still a tiny bit of wire pinched under the
bolt, but it doesn't matter cuz I clipped both sides
of it.  I don't know if yours is pinched in the same
place, but taking the lights out and peeking in there
is a heck of alot easier than taking the door apart.

Jon

Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 10:15:59 -0800 (PST)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Easy way to find out.  Unplug your O2 sensor.  If it's
a bad sensor and you unplug it, your idling should
become even with the car being a bit rich.  If you
unplug it and the problem continues to occur, there's
something else going on (unfortunately I wouldn't know
what).  Good luck and keep us posted on this!

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 12:41:49 -0500
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I had a set of Pilots on a daily driver and they barely lasted me 9,000
miles are these the same?

Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 12:09:49 -0800 (PST)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Murry,
I currently have no-name bran tires but will be deciding between the Michelin
Pilots and the Cooper Cobras. I drive my car like mad and almost every day when
it is not "salt season" and am currently leaning towards the Coopers because of
ride quality & longevity. The reviews on the Pilots about tread ware are not too
good. Any daily driver Pilot owners care to talk about their tread ware?

Shannon Y
16506

--------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 21:29:19 -0000
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>

I just put a set of Dunlop G/T Qualifiers on my 81. Very pleased with
the price and the ride is great. $79 for the rears and $69 for the
fronts. Got them at a local just-tires shop www.justtires.com

Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 18:35:12 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Water on Floor on Driver's Side

Bob,

Check your AC orifice drain tube for blockage in regards to the
passenger foot well water with the AC on. Later vins had a foam
padding around the air box to minimize sweating I guess.

On 2524 I had to clean out the orifice tube thoroughly with a shop
vac, and re-seal the passenger side air box. Stopped my water leaks
on 2524. I may end up buying the foam pad like on the higher vins.

Joe